Skip to content

Images of females in armour designed for protection, not seduction!

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @Elrandir that's not a ramble, that's making an educated opinion, and giving your reasons clearly. Do you think her belt gives the lower abdomen good protection. I am inclined to think it does. Bessides it's a great pic!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited September 2014
    I feel like it wouldn't do much unless there's something sturdy in the satchels, but perhaps you're right.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Judge Hershey from Sylvester Stallone's 'Judge Dredd' film

Diane Lane... <3
    edited September 2014
    @Night_Watch nice pic!

For comparisons sake and also to contiue the discussion about female armor in the moderately close to our tech futre - here is Dredd and Anderson from the recent movie Dredd.

Here is another borderline case. From the belt up both Dredd and Anderson are wearing armor, which looks believable and seems to provide good protection. However below the belt both characters are possibly unprotected. The heavier, plate type material does not cover the vulnerable pelvis and lower abodomen, and the big artries at the top of the thigh where it meets the groin are also uncovered (not to mention Dredd's familiy jewels.) So does this make it a case of non-sensible armor? Are important, vulnerable areas left exposed, or is the material of the trousers a form of light armor, or is this outfit as silly as all those ladies in plate or chain with a bare midriff and silly little bikini bottom?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    kiwidoc said:

@Night_Watch nice pic!

For comparisons sake and also to contiue the discussion about female armor in the moderately close to our tech futre - here is Dredd and Anderson from the recent movie Dredd.

Here is another borderline case. From the belt up both Dredd and Anderson are wearing armor, which looks believable and seems to provide good protection. However below the belt both characters are possibly unprotected. The heavier, plate type material does not cover the vulnerable pelvis and lower abodomen, and the big artries at the top of the thigh where it meets the groin are also uncovered (not to mention Dredd's familiy jewels.) So does this make it a case of non-sensible armor? Are important, vulnerable areas left exposed, or is the material of the trousers a form of light armor, or is this outfit as silly as all those ladies in plate or chain with a bare midriff and silly little bikini bottom?

Given that it is in a modern to futuristic setting, there maybe less need for full body armor. Considering most combat during this time period is ranged and these folks would (or at least should) be utilizing cover and concealment, there would be less need for the armor and therefore the restricting of the lower regions.

Move fast, take cover, and if you are going to be armored, then armor the parts most commonly exposed to a battlefield environment. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes of course, but when generalizing what equipment your military or police will have and as a result of how they will fight, it's good to have a guideline. Take for instance the stances both individuals take with their weapons at the ready. Their bodies are fully forward and not canted to the side like these gentlemen.

Why? Well because the gentlemen above have little to no armor, and compensate for this via a side shooting stance, limiting the total body surface exposed while in a fight.

In contrast our friends over in the Dredd universe have access to top heavy armor, and make use of this by facing full forward, with the hopes of if they have to be hit, then at least the armor will soften the blow. Well why not just face side ways like the military men? If I had to guess I would say it's a combination of weaker armor on the sides and that same armor restricting the overall movement and thus, the overall effectiveness of a side stance shot vs a full forward shot.

So then why are they out in the open like? Because it's a movie and it's a really cool shot. =p
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Night_Watch‌
    Most military or police forces train for two-handed, full-forward shooting in real life, it'd be harder to shoot and move if you've turned your body sideways, and that pic of Dredd looks like they're pushing into a room.

Also, I think you're getting a bit too hung-up on lower body protection, @kiwidoc‌. In many eras, but particularly the modern, the legs go unarmored. The Roman legions and post musket-infantry wore breastplates with little to no protection below the waist. Only the heaviest of modern tactical armor comes with hip plating. And, no matter what you do, the most likely leg injury that would actually kill you, the inner thigh, can't reasonably be armored with plating in any era.
    @Scheidend When I made my criteria - no boobs, bellies, butts or groins left unprotected I was thinking of all those utterly daft images of women wearing the kind of armor that indicates a need for serious protection, and then having high cut legs that would need a brazilian shave to be wearable, and/or the belt of bare flesh plus bare triangle directly above the pubes look. I count ultra light weight, skin tight or very revealing silk as the same as no armor whatsoever. I think my hassle comes from the idea of a "one size fits all" set of criteria. It works fine for high tech sci-fi, and it works fine for psuadomedieval armor - but it's modern day and slightly in the future armor that stumps me.

I am very well aware how much damage a stab in the femoral artery can cause (I've seen people in A&E following car crashes with sharp bits of dashboard in their groin). I've also spent too many hours helping surgeons sew bits of internal organs back together after some was stabbed beneath the belly button.

The Kevlar type jacket or vest does allow people to spread the legs a little and crouch a little to get a good, steady aim and this position does protect the lower thorax a little - the arms and weapon are in front of that area, and the bent hips plus thorax bent forward minimises the target size of the vulnerable area - but in close hand-to-hand it would be a different matter.

Mant thanks for this discussion - now if someone says "you let that artists pic with only a cottone tee-shirt protecting the belly into your gallery, so why not my lovely pic of the girl in plate that stops 6 inches above the hipline?" I can point them to this page :D
    edited September 2014
    edited September 2014

More Daniel Kamarudin aka theDURRRRIAN Coming Tomorrow

The guy is very prolific, and almost always puts his gorgeous ladies in decent armor (as opposed to indecent armor) Kudos to him!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    More random pics of women in good armor:

image by Hunqwert
    image by NicoleCadet
    image by DarioFish
    Thanks muchly @LadyRhian These are excellent. The textures on the 3d pic, the 3rd one, are very, very well done!
    You're welcome!
    kiwidoc said:
    While I like the idea of the magical girl clothes from Kill La Kill being translated into proper armor, although it does kinda piss on the parody aspect of the show, those eyebrows simply aren't COMMANDING enough.

@Schneidend surely World of Warcraft Elf eyebrows take the prize in the eyebrow power stakes!
    Warning! Ridiculous boobage alert!

Or even the mentat's eyebrows in the original Dune movie.

Art By Yun Sung Hyun

I can't locate any links for this artist

edited September 2014
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    kiwidoc said:

Or even the mentat's eyebrows in the original Dune movie.

Haha I don't think they thought about the eyebrows in Dune at the time or they thought too much lol
    kiwidoc said:

@Schneidend surely World of Warcraft Elf eyebrows take the prize in the eyebrow power stakes!

Nay. You might say Satsuki would browbeat that elf into submission. Satsuki's eyebrows actually get bigger and more intense as the series progresses, or in any instance where she's being particularly domineering. Such shapeshifting techniques would baffle even a WoW night elf druid!
    kiwidoc said:
    Wow. I desperately want to see a completed version of this one.
    @Schneidend I loved that sketch as well. I was wondering wether to include it, as it is so obviously just a skethc but it is skilfully done, and she gives me the felling she is really intense so I added it. It's fairly far to the back of Kyrie's Deviant gallery, so I am not sure if it will ever be more than a sketch.
    Yestrdays set (21st)was very late (actually this afternoon) due to real life stuff, so this is todays set (23rd)

Art by Stuart Harrington

kiwidoc said:
    Bring me the head of Jabba the Hutt! ;)
This discussion has been closed.