Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

The White House has instructed females working there to "dress like women"

What the--?! What does that even mean? Are the women who work there supposed to wear jeans and a t-shirt like many other women do? Or perhaps a pantsuit like Hillary wore? Perhaps a sari? How about a gagra choli? A little black dress? A wedding dress? An evening gown? Why not a muumuu?

Seriously, that doesn't make any sense.

Basically he's saying "hey baby why don't you dress like a woman? You know high heels, something a little bit sexy."
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

What the--?! What does that even mean? Are the women who work there supposed to wear jeans and a t-shirt like many other women do? Or perhaps a pantsuit like Hillary wore? Perhaps a sari? How about a gagra choli? A little black dress? A wedding dress? An evening gown? Why not a muumuu?

Basically he's saying "hey baby why don't you dress like a woman? You know high heels, something a little bit sexy."
    Can the women in the White House thereby sue Trump for sexual harassment?

:smiley:

Can the women in the White House thereby sue Trump for sexual harassment?

:smiley:

Presumably. His "dress like women" is pretty much right at the line. Maybe he will cross the line in other comments.

Then these staffers will be able to sue and win. Taxpayers will be billed for the settlement and lawyer fees for our fearless leaders defense.

These lawsuits can add to the more than forty outstanding lawsuits that have already been filed against his administrator for things like violating the constitution.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited February 2017

What we can take from it is what we have already know. That Trump is a chauvinistic pig.
    A divided European Union has one thing in common: Mistrust of Trump

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-europe-trump-20170203-story.html

Who needs allies in the world? Not the USA.

So the Trumpocracy has accused at least Japan, the European Union, and China of undervaluing their currency. Way to get off on the wrong foot with everyone.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    Perhaps we have just overvalued the dollar. All this instability should do the trick...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Those krauts are just upset because they can't take our jobs anymore. Remember what they did to us at Pearl Harbor?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    BillyYank said:

Given the international copper shortage, the statue is to be dismantled and sold for scrap.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Fardragon said:

Given the international copper shortage, the statue is to be dismantled and sold for scrap.

She's an immigrant, so who needs her anyway.
    Seriously, this is getting more dangerous by the day:

"So-called judge"?? How about "so-called President". This guy was appointed by George W. Bush.
    Whether or not you agree with the judge's decision, checks and balances are a critical part of our system. The judicial branch is supposed to have a check on the executive branch's power. Trump already has the ability to control judicial appointments; I doubt he needs (or legally has) the ability to overturn a judicial ruling.

Whether or not you agree with the judge's decision, checks and balances are a critical part of our system. The judicial branch is supposed to have a check on the executive branch's power. Trump already has the ability to control judicial appointments; I doubt he needs (or legally has) the ability to overturn a judicial ruling.

I was actually in Salisbury Cathedral looking at the Magna Carta exhibition in November.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Want to bet he as a try at overturning it?
    edited February 2017

That's not what I meant. Whether he has the power to or not, he doesn't respect the authority of that branch of government. Perhaps more glaring than that, I'm not entirely convinced he knows how the 3 branches of government even work. The idea that Obama or Hillary would just straight out attack the legitimacy of a Federal Judge is unthinkable.

In the meantime, a Michigan GOP official is calling for students to be executed:

Kind of puts a couple of broken windows and trash bin fires into perspective.

That's not what I meant. Whether he has the power to or not, he doesn't respect the authority of that branch of government. Perhaps more glaring than that, I'm not entirely convinced he knows how the 3 branches of government even work. The idea that Obama or Hillary would just straight out attack the legitimacy of a Federal Judge is unthinkable.

He's running the presidency like he would if he were CEO of a company (with an ego the size of Montana). He is expecting that he can come in and make changes as he sees fit and that anyone that doesn't agree with him will have to deal with the consequences. He thinks of himself as the final authority, The Boss and as such he should be obeyed or they will get fired. Basically "Lock step or find yourself another job."

What's more, he is presenting (note the indication here) as if he were the petulant narcissistic child that everyone thinks he is. While I have no doubt that some of it isn't an act, if it is all 100% real, we are in a LOT more trouble than is generally believed. I do rather suspect that at least some of the wilder stuff is a smoke screen so that people don't look too closely to what else he is really doing. In that, I really wish that the sensationalist media would stop turning every single tweet into National headline news.

On the face of it, he is actually acting the way a lot of serial executives that I've seen in my day do. He is making as much noise and thunder about high profile but ultimately short term gain (and more often than not leading to long term significant losses) ticket items. The idea is to move the bar as quickly and as profitably (again, short term at the expense of long term) as possible to establish himself. Since he knows he can't be in the role more than 8 years (heavy groan there), he doesn't really need to worry about consequences beyond the first 4. He can train wreck the country after that point for all he cares.

Since we are stuck with him (barring any really gross miss-conduct) for at least the next 4 years, I do hope that the rest of the world doesn't decide to shut him (and by association us) down before that time is up.

He's running the presidency like he would if he were CEO of a company (with an ego the size of Montana). He is expecting that he can come in and make changes as he sees fit and that anyone that doesn't agree with him will have to deal with the consequences. He thinks of himself as the final authority, The Boss and as such he should be obeyed or they will get fired. Basically "Lock step or find yourself another job."

What's more, he is presenting (note the indication here) as if he were the petulant narcissistic child that everyone thinks he is. While I have no doubt that some of it isn't an act, if it is all 100% real, we are in a LOT more trouble than is generally believed. I do rather suspect that at least some of the wilder stuff is a smoke screen so that people don't look too closely to what else he is really doing. In that, I really wish that the sensationalist media would stop turning every single tweet into National headline news.

On the face of it, he is actually acting the way a lot of serial executives that I've seen in my day do. He is making as much noise and thunder about high profile but ultimately short term gain (and more often than not leading to long term significant losses) ticket items. The idea is to move the bar as quickly and as profitably (again, short term at the expense of long term) as possible to establish himself. Since he knows he can't be in the role more than 8 years (heavy groan there), he doesn't really need to worry about consequences beyond the first 4. He can train wreck the country after that point for all he cares.

Since we are stuck with him (barring any really gross miss-conduct) for at least the next 4 years, I do hope that the rest of the world doesn't decide to shut him (and by association us) down before that time is up.
    I think we've possibly been underplaying the idea that he might just simply be mentally ill. It's easier to pretend it's calculated. His leaked conversations with foreign leaders suggest that might not be the case.
    edited February 2017
    He believes in "the divine right of kings".

He is very much like Richard II or Charles I. Which is why I'm pretty certain he will be "dealt with" like they where.

I think we've possibly been underplaying the idea that he might just simply be mentally ill. It's easier to pretend it's calculated. His leaked conversations with foreign leaders suggest that might not be the case.

I am not discounting the fact that he may very well be. But you don't get to be where he is without being a lot smarter than he is playing things at the moment. I am not normally a member of the tinfoil hat wearing brigade, but things are a little bit too pat for it to be the entire picture.

I am not discounting the fact that he may very well be. But you don't get to be where he is without being a lot smarter than he is playing things at the moment. I am not normally a member of the tinfoil hat wearing brigade, but things are a little bit too pat for it to be the entire picture.
    No, he is really dumb, and genuinely delusional. He has made far to many amateur night errors. You consolidate your powerbase, make sure your allies are in key positions, organise your supporters into loyal millitias, and so on if you want to survive being a dictator.
    edited February 2017
    Actually, he isn't dumb. I may dislike the man and think he is completely unsuited to be president, but don't make the mistake of underestimating him.
    Fardragon said:

No, he is really dumb, and genuinely delusional. He has made far to many amateur night errors. You consolidate your powerbase, make sure your allies are in key positions, organise your supporters into loyal millitias, and so on if you want to survive being a dictator.

You are thinking again from the perspective of someone who is planning a long term campaign. He isn't. He knows that he is only going to be there for 4-8 years, so why does he need "His people" in key positions?

Again, he is acting VERY much like a serial Executive, the type who comes in, makes a lot of noise and then uses that to leverage his next position in another company, leaving the previous one to deal with the long term consequences of his actions.

He's made mistakes, I will grant you. But these are the types of mistakes born of no political background and attempting to play 'Corporate' politics in the government arena. They aren't born of stupidity. Or at least most of them aren't.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    edited February 2017
    A democratic leader can plan for 4-8 years, then a peaceful transfer of power. A dictator doesn't have that luxury. The retirement plan for the dictator is the firing squad or the lamppost fandango, as those he has stepped on on the way up take thier revenge. The only way to survive is to be dictator for life.

It's an illustration of Trump's stupidity that he hasn't considered what will happen to him (and his children) once he is no longer in power.
    edited February 2017
    Fardragon said:

It's an illustration of Trump's stupidity that he hasn't considered what will happen to him (and his children) once he is no longer in power.

Trump isn't a Dictator. Oh, he may act like a total power junkie and be the very definition of the first part of that word, but he has no illusions about his tenure.

If you want proof, just look at his wall. 26 Billion dollars for something that won't be completed during his reign, or if it is it won't have been around long enough for people to realize that it is a useless measure with negligible (if that) impact on Illegal Immigration. But making a lot of noise about it NOW, and scaring people into thinking that "Mexicans are stealing your jobs" etc... it is a popular win for him (among people who like him) and very likely to play a major part in his bid for a second term. It is absolutely short term win. But he knows it doesn't have longevity. And he doesn't care because he is out in 8 years. If he were thinking longer term, he would be focusing on some other scheme that would at least appear to have some staying power.

As for what will happen to him once he is out of power, I understand that the presidential pension plan is quite nice. And he still has his empire. This isn't Westeros and although he probably would love the comparison, he isn't King Jeoffrey. No one has to kill him to get him out of power. Just wait till next election, or the full 8 years if we are particularly unlucky.

But don't take my word for it. I'm just saying that his reign looks suspiciously like all of the serial execs that I've seen. And far too close to that exact model to be a coincidence.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I wouldn't put it past Trump to try to pull a Roosevelt and attempt to talk his way into a third term.

Remember, the rules don't apply to him in his altered reality.
    edited February 2017
    deltago said:

I wouldn't put it past Trump to try to pull a Roosevelt and attempt to talk his way into a third term.

Remember, the rules don't apply to him in his altered reality.

Worth pointing out this was totally legal when Roosevelt had 4 terms. The constitution was amended to prevent it in the future. It's also no surprise he got elected 4 times. He pulled the country out of the depression and led it to victory in WW2. Trump couldn't lead anyone to an ice cream truck. Well, I guess that isn't true. He's led alot of people to a very dark place.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Fardragon said:

He and Bannon consider this a permanent thing. In Bannon's interview where he told the press to just shut up, he also said that the main stream media getting going against thinking that Trump would win would be a stain on them forever (sic). Why would one mistake be forever, unless he means to stay in power forever.

Trump's the same way, this is a permanent gig to him in his mind.
    edited February 2017
    It is likely going to cost taxpayers HALF A BILLION dollars for Melania Trump to continue to live in Trump Tower instead of the White House the next 4 years. I guarantee if Michelle Obama had done the same their family would have been savaged unrelentingly. I don't care if she stays there. I care that I know the Obamas would have been treated completely differently. Also, let's dispense with any claims to fiscal responsibility when she could easily be living in DC. That's part of the gig.
    @jjstraka34: How could it cost $500,000,000? That's over a hundred million a year.
    edited February 2017

@jjstraka34: How could it cost $500,000,000? That's over a hundred million a year.

$400,000 a day for the city of New York. And that is a low-ball estimate. There have been figures as high as a million.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/donald-trump-costs-more-protect-us-leader-president-history-a7456046.html

They're entitled to the protection like any President's family. But maintaining a separate residence for your wife and child full-time is nonsense. If you're the First Family, move to the damn White House. Of course, this just ties in with the fact that he hasn't actually divested from anything is is more prone to corruption (by infinite magnitudes) than anyone in history. But that hardly matters with this Congress. He could take a bribe at a Press Conference in the Rose Garden and they would sit on their hands about it. In fact, pressure on individual Republican members of Congress is, at this point, the most effective form of opposition. Flood their offices with calls, letters and visits.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    I've had shits with more charisma than trump. He is anti middle east apart from the places he has business interest.
This discussion has been closed.