Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @jjstraka34: It seemed too argumentative, so I cut it out. Ignore it if you like; it doesn't matter.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

So there's been a terrorism incident in the UK where a man with a knife injured several people.

Horrible crime but like to point out again how much worse it would have been worse if this terrorist or person with mental issues had a gun.

If only the victims had a way to protect themselves.
    They did.

Unless it's not legal to carry a knife in the UK.
    Actually I wonder, what are the carry laws in the UK?
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

So there's been a terrorism incident in the UK where a man with a knife injured several people.

Horrible crime but like to point out again how much worse it would have been worse if this terrorist or person with mental issues had a gun.

They did.

Depends what kind of knife it is and the reason your carrying it. Only idiots carry knives in the UK. It's pretty safe county overall
    Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

They did.

Depends what kind of knife it is and the reason your carrying it. Only idiots carry knives in the UK. It's pretty safe county overall
    I think the situation above is a very good reason TO carry a knife.
    ThacoBell said:

Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

They did.

Don't think a a knife will help much when a car is suddenly running you over. Which was the main part of what happened in London.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Monsters. These people want to turn this country into "Lord of the Flies".
    Obviously if your insecure and feel the need to arm yourself then the outside world isn't for u. Bad shit happens what is outside of your control.

It's like saying America is unsafe due to toddlers shooting people accidentally so I should arm myself against toddlers, Hell even dogs have shot there owners accidentally in the US. Can't say we have that in the UK.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/us-officials-info-suggests-trump-associates-may-have-coordinated-with-russians/index.html

No surprise if you've been following this story since last summer. No matter how many times nearly everyone else here but @smeagolheart has laughed it off, I've been posting about these exact 4 men being at the maelstrom of this Russia storm consistently. I fully expect to continue to be ridiculed for doing so until the levee breaks completely.
    Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

Wesboi said:

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

They did.

Don't think a a knife will help much when a car is suddenly running you over. Which was the main part of what happened in London.
    BAN THE CARS
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2017
    ThacoBell said:

BAN THE CARS

You're joking but cars are dangerous and should be regulated yeah. That's why there's drivers licenses - you need training to operate one; there's insurance to pay for damages if they happen; and safety standards such as brakes (no fully automatic weapons of war cars).

But the primary purpose of a car is not to kill things like a gun. It's not like guns are a mode of transportation that can be used as a weapon - the thing is literally a weapon all the time. They are a weapon that makes killing too easy.

A guy with a knife has to get up close and personal to kill someone and a struggle can happen - the attacked can resist. And it's not as lethal - you can more likely survive a knife vs a gun.

With a gun, just aim and squeeze the trigger. Imagine a bad guy gets a little mad - "oh that guy disrespected me" - bang. Too easy. Same guy with a knife - oh that guy disrespected me - yeah he can grab a knife but it's not going to be easy - it'll take more effort and more opportunity to think twice about things. You gotta really be dedicated, with a gun it can be a whim.

Or it can be premeditated and then the bad guys can really inflict massive casualties as per Columbine or any of the other mass shootings.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited March 2017
    So you want a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court - the highest court in the land. This should be one of the most important duties and considerations of our lawmakers.

GOP be like nope, let's talk to the guy about fly fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z01YpSUc_0
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    Primary purpose of the 2nd Amendment is so people can defend themselves.
    Wesboi said:

Obviously if your insecure and feel the need to arm yourself then the outside world isn't for u. Bad shit happens what is outside of your control.

Same argument can be said if you have a problem with Gun ownership.
    I'm glad we don't have any need for that outdated 2nd amendment here in the UK.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Just a short time ago the primary purpose was to overthrow an oppressive regime. How strange.
    edited March 2017
    Wesboi said:

Because the police have guns.

@FinneousPJ To defend themselves against oppressive regimes and secure their own freedom, yes.

To me it almost seems like there isn't a real reason, and people just come up with justification.
    Only gun I ever had the need to use was a potato gun to shoot my brother with. Good times.
    There is historical reason, because America rejected English rule through armed struggle.

The Right to Bear Arms did pop up now and then throughout English history, the monarchy restricting and then being overthrown, then allowed for certain groups against the Monarchy (Ie Protestants).
    vanatos said:

There is historical reason, because America rejected English rule through armed struggle.

The Right to Bear Arms did pop up now and then throughout English history, the monarchy restricting and then being overthrown, then allowed for certain groups against the Monarchy (Ie Protestants).

Laws need to change with the times like the majority of laws actually do if they didn't we would still be hanging everyone in the LGBT community. Hiding behind the historic story of the 2nd amendment as an excuse is just silly.
    edited March 2017
    Wesboi said:

Laws need to change with the times like the majority of laws actually do if they didn't we would still be hanging everyone in the LGBT community. Hiding behind the historic story of the 2nd amendment as an excuse is just silly.

There is already recent world-wide events that show the police and Government can be compromised in protecting the civilian populace, to which then is left the 2nd Amendment.

So 'the times' has already shown it is necessary as an absolute last resort for the people to defend themselves.

Laws shouldn't be made assuming people will always live in an ideal environment, economically prosperous and social safety guaranteed by a well functioning Government and police force.

In fact the general line of thinking is that Constitution and Law should assume a skeptical approach.
    The problem is the abundance of guns is making the US less safe, not more.
    edited March 2017
    We definitely need more training and discipline of Americans in general, that is the great current flaw with America.

I would not be against a Federally mandated training to go in-line with the 2nd Amendment, even if it means the Federal Government just makes sure the State Government trains its populace in proper usage and safety of Guns.
    If they gave everyone the guns available at the time of the 2nd amendment rather than today's guns there would be no shootings. There needs to be a better system than there is now which we can all agree on.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited March 2017
    vanatos said:

Wesboi said:

Because the police have guns.

@FinneousPJ To defend themselves against oppressive regimes and secure their own freedom, yes.

The majority of police in the UK do not carry guns, and most officers support this. Many have deterrents such as sprays however. A minority of officers (6000+) are trained in firearms and perform a quick response role.
    edited March 2017
    It would be wonderful if all conflicts could be solved by sprays and we could guarantee living in a prosperous, well regulated and culturally homogeneous society forever.

unfortunately Terrorism tends to necessitate the use of guns to take down the Terrorist.
    edited March 2017
    Again we get back to this now meaningless phrase of "terrorist" and "terrorism". This guy was labeled a terrorist before he was even on the ambulance stretcher because he had dark skin. The guy who assassinated British MP Jo Cox over her opposition to Brexit was called no such thing, again, being called a "crazy loner" and "disturbed".
    Theresa May has publicly give information that the Terrorist was a known extremist to authorities.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited March 2017
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/03/23/the-trump-troubadour-went-to-45-trump-rallies-in-honor-of-his-late-son-now-he-feels-betrayed/?tid=pm_national_pop

He stopped making his mortgage payments and sold the equipment for his construction business to stay on the campaign trail, galvanized by Trump’s promise to help young people — like Moss’s late son — who struggle with drug addiction. Trump, Moss thought, was the candidate most capable of bringing an end to the heroin epidemic sweeping the nation.

Trump made this promise to Moss personally at a rally in Iowa in January 2016. Speaking through a microphone to the crowd, he addressed Moss directly: “The biggest thing we can do in honor of your son … we have to be able to stop it.”

But about two weeks ago, Moss caught his first glimpse of the Republican proposal to replace the Affordable Care Act. The proposed health care bill, slated for floor vote in the House Thursday night, would eliminate a requirement that Medicaid cover basic mental-health and addiction services in states that expanded it, a mandate that covered nearly 1.3 million people.

“This bill is just the absolute opposite,” Moss told The Washington Post. “I felt betrayed. I felt let down.”
    edited March 2017
    The Westminster attacker was British-born and known to the police and intelligence services, the prime minister has revealed.
    In a statement to the Commons, Theresa May said he had been investigated some years ago over violent extremism but had been a "peripheral figure".
    "He was not part of the current intelligence picture," she said.
    Eight arrests in London and Birmingham followed Wednesday's attack that left four dead - including the attacker.
    Those killed by the attacker were PC Keith Palmer, Aysha Frade, who worked at a London college, and a man in his 50s.
    Seven of the injured are still in hospital in a critical condition.
    A further 29 had been treated in hospital, Mr Rowley added.

-http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39363297

Police always do raids after a terrorist attack.
This discussion has been closed.