Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @smeagolheart I'm just taking that line of thinking to its logical conclusion. Deny everyone because someone can't handle it.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    edited March 2017
    It's rather difficult for now to justify taking away guns when virtually everyone's freedom and prosperity was secured by their forefathers who...used Guns (or weapons in general).

Rather I would imagine a better pursuit is finding a peaceful way to resolve the exact situation that we need Guns in the first place, once you do that then you don't need Guns.

Maybe we should invest in exploring 'singing' to impart more then what it is now mostly emotion, but also concepts and idea's, attitudes and high-culture.
    Imagine if Wars and Terrorism could be stopped by singing, Then yeh i would be in favor of replacing the 2nd Amendment with the Right to Sing.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    ThacoBell said:

@smeagolheart I'm just taking that line of thinking to its logical conclusion. Deny everyone because someone can't handle it.

But the comparison was between apples and chainsaws.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

But the comparison was between apples and chainsaws.
    Not really. If you can justify taking one away, you can justify taking anything away.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Shandyr said:

Senate Republicans Vote To Gut Internet Privacy

Passed by the Federal Communications Commission under president Obama, the privacy rules require internet providers like Comcast and AT&T to first get your permission before they can sell your private information like browsing history and location data.

“This was a short-sighted decision that puts American consumers at risk of increased identity theft, data breach, and financial fraud.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hamzashaban/the-republican-controlled-senate-votes-to-strip-internet

"Passed by the Federal Communications Commission in the final months of the Obama presidency, the privacy rules prohibited internet providers like Comcast and Verizon from selling customer information, including browsing history and location data, without first getting consent. The rules also compelled providers to tell customers about the data they collect, the purpose of that data collection, and to identify the types of third party companies that might be given access to that information."

And that is what they are abolishing?

They want ISPs to be able to sell the browsing history and location data of their clients without the need of consent from the clients first? WTF?

Wow... WOW... I'm really shocked about this.
    I'm not going to neglect to mention this vote was nearly on strict party lines. Republicans passed this bill. It is 100% on them.
    Parliament terror attack: Hero MP Tobias Ellwood battled to save life of stabbed officer
    Tobias Ellwood, the Tory foreign minister, was praised as an "absolute hero" after he tried to save the life of a policeman stabbed in the Parliament attack.

The Tory MP attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and applied pressure on the wounds to stem the blood flow to keep him alive but said he had "lost too much blood".

Mr Ellwood, a former soldier himself, attended the victim as he awaited medical staff and an air ambulance to arrive in Parliament Square. He was later seen with bloodied hands talking to police officers near the scene before going back to the Foreign Office.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/22/hero-mp-parliament-terror-attack-tobias-ellwood-battled-save/

Seems there are some decent politicians.
    ThacoBell said:

Not really. If you can justify taking one away, you can justify taking anything away.

Not really.

Do you believe murder should be banned? Presumably you do, but that doesn't mean every interaction between people has to be banned.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It might be different for foreign wars, but guns haven't been used to fight for freedom in this country since the Civil War, 150 years ago. And that was a formal military, not private citizens using their personal arms courtesy of the 2nd amendment. Private citizens haven't used guns to fight for freedom in this country since the Revolutionary War, 250 years ago.

When are we going to see an armed revolution successfully take down the United States government using their 2nd amendment rights? And who exactly would be behind it? Because I only know of two groups of people who seriously advocated taking down the U.S. government through force of violence: Confederates and Communists. It's not often you hear them mentioned in the same sentence, but it's true. Both of them advocated that.

Under what circumstances would armed resistance to the government be morally or practically superior to the ballot?
    vanatos said:

It's rather difficult for now to justify taking away guns when virtually everyone's freedom and prosperity was secured by their forefathers who...used Guns (or weapons in general).

I know somebody who lost his freedom because of a gun.

He wouldn't have passed a background check; he was mentally ill. But he didn't need one to get his hands on a lethal weapon.

If he didn't have a gun, his wife and child would still have somebody to provide for them.

And two police officers would still be alive.

That's why I support background checks. I don't know how important it is for that man to own a gun, but it's certainly less important than the lives of two human beings.
    edited March 2017

Under what circumstances would armed resistance to the government be morally or practically superior to the ballot?

When the Government does not obey the ballot and oppresses the people.

I know somebody who lost his freedom because of a gun.

He wouldn't have passed a background check; he was mentally ill. But he didn't need one to get his hands on a lethal weapon.

If he didn't have a gun, his wife and child would still have somebody to provide for them.

And two police officers would still be alive.

That's why I support background checks. I don't know how important it is for that man to own a gun, but it's certainly less important than the lives of two human beings.

Your argument doesn't even address what you replied too.

Considering Guns have been used to save lives, the last statement is moot.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    Surely a board with a nail in it is sufficient for anyone's self-defence needs?
    Contrary to fantasy shows, Women are in general, at a severe disadvantage to men in any physical conflict.

Which is why Women drove up the sales of Guns in Europe recently.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Just seems ironic that guns are highly regarded as a necessity in the US while Kinder eggs are banned....
    Wesboi said:

Just seems ironic that guns are highly regarded as a necessity in the US while Kinder eggs are banned....

Not everyone feels that way.
    vanatos said:

Contrary to fantasy shows, Women are in general, at a severe disadvantage to men in any physical conflict.

Which is why Women drove up the sales of Guns in Europe recently.

So you claim people at severe physical disadvantage to men need guns? So your a weakling if you need a gun? Ok if you say so.

And to the point about guns being used in the civil war but only really in the Revolutionary War. Reminder again about that war that it doesn't really count either. The main reason the US won against Britain was not Farmer Joe's musket it was support from the French as they fought a proxy war against the British or else the whole British Navy and Army would have been able to crush us.

So you claim people at severe physical disadvantage to men need guns? So your a weakling if you need a gun? Ok if you say so.

Trying to make a factual phenomenon of reality, some personal insult doesn't reflect well on you.

'I don't feel safe anymore' Surge in Austrian gun sales since migrant crisis
    Gun stores have reported a quadruple growth in the sales of firearms, with some owners attributing the sales to a spike in violent crime.

During an interview with NRATV, Jeffrey Pang, who works for Austria's oldest firearms store, linked the rise in the self-defence market to "the immigrant crisis in Europe".

He said the surge in firearm sales coincided with reports of robberies, rapes and break-ins since the migrant crisis began.
    The employee at the firearm store Joh Springers added: "Following the rise in attacks, customers want pepper sprays, combat training, small concealed carry weapons. "

Mr Pang said the biggest growth market for gun owners was among women who felt unsafe outside.

He said: "Our security level has diminished in the last couple months.

"You see the crowds They're shouting, they’re drinking, there is no security anymore."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/744601/Migrant-crisis-surge-Austria-gun-sales-women

edited March 2017
    You've already posted several links from right wing propaganda sites and you've done so again.

The articles on these sites offer fictionalized feelings or a few cherry picked sources or anecdotes. They don't represent the truth they are designed to reinforce confirmation bias in a media bubble.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-express/
    edited March 2017
    Funny how people complain about bubbles but reject news when it doesn't fit their bubble.

Migrant crisis: gun sales in Austria surge amid fears of refugee crime

-http://www.smh.com.au/world/migrant-crisis/migrant-crisis-gun-sales-in-austria-surge-amid-fears-of-refugee-crime-20151027-gkkdus.html

He claims the stock has been sold out for the last three weeks and that demand is being fueled by fears generated by social changes.
    “People want to protect themselves,” Mayer said. “Nonetheless, the most common purchasers of arms are primarily Austrian women.”

http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/islamic-invasion-pulls-trigger-europeans-scramble-for-guns/

btw can you apply your own standard to yourself, your posting from 'left-wing' sites should be considered not credible.
    Anyone can own a gun if you want, no one is ever going to stop you in this country. You or someone in your family is INFINITELY more likely to be hurt or killed by the gun you purchased than from an intruder breaking into your home. The chances of any one person needing to use a gun to defend themselves in their lifetime are probably similar to getting struck by lightning. Point being, you'll likely get through your entire life perfectly fine in this regard, and thinking about it is pointless.

IF you do happen to be carrying a gun when a horrendously dangerous situation hits, simulations have shown that people tend to totally panic and freeze, and the gun does no good whatsoever. As I've said before, everyone thinks they have some sort of inner-Wyatt Earp in them just waiting to get out, but the far more likely situation is that without extensive crisis training, the likely outcome is going to be that person will piss their pants and possibly get even more people hurt.
    Hey I'm just saying use legit sources or at least be able to back up the story on a legit site as you just did. Great.

Bold prediction: The surge in guns will not increase​ the feelings of safety in Austria. The arms race that is going on is a symptom of distrust which will be exacerbated by adding guns to everyone walking the streets.
    Actually the chances of experiencing Robbery or assault dramatically changes depending on where you live.

It is not universally rare, as if everyone lives in prosperous gated communities.

Anyone can own a gun if you want, no one is ever going to stop you in this country. You or someone in your family is INFINITELY more likely to be hurt or killed by the gun you purchased than from an intruder breaking into your home. The chances of any one person needing to use a gun to defend themselves in their lifetime are probably similar to getting struck by lightning. Point being, you'll likely get through your entire life perfectly fine in this regard, and thinking about it is pointless.

IF you do happen to be carrying a gun when a horrendously dangerous situation hits, simulations have shown that people tend to totally panic and freeze, and the gun does no good whatsoever. As I've said before, everyone thinks they have some sort of inner-Wyatt Earp in them just waiting to get out, but the far more likely situation is that without extensive crisis training, the likely outcome is going to be that person will piss their pants and possibly get even more people hurt.

And having multiple Wyatt Earps running around for responding police. They see "person with gun" when responding to an incident they are likely to shoot that guy.
    edited March 2017

And having multiple Wyatt Earps running around for responding police. They see "person with gun" when responding to an incident they are likely to shoot that guy.
    I'm seriously not even trying to be a dick about this, but the idea that some random citizen who buys a gun for protection is going to flawlessly pull out and use that gun to kill an intruder who catches them by surprise is preposterous to me. And you want to know the reason most people don't have guns on hand when attacks or situations like the one in the UK happen?? It's because most people don't have any interest in carrying a goddamn gun around with them in their daily life. Yeah, it might (maybe) one day be of some use. But if you are a person who carries a gun around with them to the supermarket or your local deli, you'll eventually end up as a person who is just ITCHING for an excuse to use that firearm.
    edited March 2017
    No.

The reason why most people don't have guns in the UK is because the English monarchy banned it, which triggered alot of conflicts itself, then subsequent Government action against it.

And the UK became economically prosperous after WW2.
    edited March 2017
    vanatos said:

No.

The reason why most people don't have guns in the UK is because the English monarchy banned it, which triggered alot of conflicts itself, then subsequent Government action against it.

And the UK became economically prosperous after WW2.

You seriously think even a large portion of people in the United States (where nearly anyone can) have any interest in concealing and carrying on a daily basis??

But if you are a person who carries a gun around with them to the supermarket or your local deli, you'll eventually end up as a person who is just ITCHING for an excuse to use that firearm.

Give a man a hammer and everything looks like a nail.

You seriously think even a large portion of people in the United States have any interest in concealing and carrying on a daily basis??

It's not up to me to oppress people with what i deem correct behaviour based on how i think they should live their lives.

The basis of the Western Republic is the protection of Rights and encouraging Freedom.

If people don't want to carry a gun in public, thats up to them, that is no argument on restricting their rights of the 2nd Amendment.

This is the basis of freedom.
    edited March 2017
    vanatos said:

You seriously think even a large portion of people in the United States have any interest in concealing and carrying on a daily basis??

It's not up to me to oppress people with what i deem correct behaviour based on how i think they should live their lives.

The basis of the Western Republic is the protection of Rights and encouraging Freedom.

If people don't want to carry a gun in public, thats up to them, that is no argument on restricting their rights of the 2nd Amendment.

I'm not even arguing for or against it in this line of thought, I'm simply asking what percentage of people have any interest in doing so to begin with. Because I'm fairly certain well over 90% of the people I run into in public are not carrying a gun with them.
    vanatos said:

Sure there is. You can have a gun if you are in a militia only.

Or repeal the 2nd like the 18th was.

I'm not even arguing for or against it in this line of thought, I'm simply asking what percentage of people have any interest in doing so to begin with.

I don't know, i imagine whether people want to carry a gun depends on alot of factors and can change alot depending what State or area one lives in.
    edited March 2017
    Idk....I'm for extensive background checks for any firearm purchase and a rigorous training course for anyone who wants to own one. I'm not naive enough to think that is ever going to happen in the US, and I certainly don't live in the fantasy-land where one can even conceive of an actual "ban" on guns as long as the Republican Party and the NRA still exist. I'm telling you, if you are pro-gun in the United States, you have less than zero to worry about on this issue, and it's been that way for nearly 20 years at a minimum. As a liberal I have completely given up all hope of moving even an inch on this issue. It's a pointless exercise. 20 6-year olds got massacred in a classroom and we did exactly dick. Our moral test on this, to even consider the most basic of measures to try prevent it from happening again, was a total failure. This country will never get serious about guns.
    edited March 2017

. This country will never get serious about guns.

The country might get serious someday. The people are getting woke as F now that DT has nearly everyone​ pissed off about something.

It might take a few more mass shooting tragedies unfortunately before people say enough is enough with the damn guns. That and throwing out the bought off Republicans legislators. So yeah unlikely but not impossible.

But hey as DT continues to get people to pay attention to the horrible stuff our Republican government is doing its actually becoming less of a fantasy. More likely we might see change. We got people going to town halls and marching in the streets. People are paying attention. So thanks for getting everyone woke up to that stuff, Obama had lulled us to sleep.
This discussion has been closed.