Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited July 2017
    You know what that means, right? Rather than complaining about the system as it exists perhaps we should try to come up with a better system that levels the playing field, giving people in populous States just as much representation as those in less-populous ones. The problem will be devising a system which is clearly better than the one which currently exists--the Senate is the check keeping California from completely overruling South Dakota all the time because each State has equal representation in that body.

If I recall, you do not live in a highly-populated State. The system you are proposing will actually take power away from you and give it to people who might not have your best interests at heart. You might want to consider that carefully--acting against one's own self-interest typically will not end well.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2017

You know what that means, right? Rather than complaining about the system as it exists perhaps we should try to come up with a better system that levels the playing field, giving people in populous States just as much representation as those in less-populous ones. The problem will be devising a system which is clearly better than the one which currently exists--the Senate is the check keeping California from completely overruling South Dakota all the time because each State has equal representation in that body.

If I recall, you do not live in a highly-populated State. The system you are proposing will actually take power away from you and give it to people who might not have your best interests at heart. You might want to consider that carefully--acting against one's own self-interest typically will not end well.

Well, I live in ND, but in a city that is right across the river from my home state of Minnesota, and I will never consider myself a North Dakotan, even though I have to vote here. Yes, 3 electoral votes. We should have one, as should Wyoming. Fair is fair. Most of this state outside 3 or 4 cities is nothing but empty land. Driving from one end to the other is mind-numbing.

Very little of my politics are out of self-interest. I'm not gay, I'm not a minority, I have health insurance. These things still matter to me because of how they affect society.
    edited July 2017
    BillyYank said:

And the reality we have now is that people in rural states essentially have enhanced citizenship and and tell everyone in urban centers how things are going to be. It's always going to be one or the other. The difference is that one way is based on actual population and the other one is just made-up preserves white supremacy.

FTFY

Imagine a world where the high-population urban areas were majority white, and the low-population areas were majority black. The Electoral College would have been dismantled decades ago.
    Same can be applied to gun control. The MOMENT the Black Panthers in California started exercising their right to bear arms, Reagan implemented gun control laws.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Hilarious! My name is CNN and I was assaulted by an angry orange man (aka the President of the United States).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotA7KHb7mo
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Ignoring tweets is not the same thing as "doing nothing"; tweets are neither laws nor executive orders and may thus be ignored since they are, themselves, nothing. Actual laws and executive orders, though, may--should--be opposed if they are purporting to do things which this nation ought not be doing, like launching "preemptive" strikes against people who are not already attacking us.

You underestimate the power of the written word when written by the most powerful man in the world.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,652
    I just can't believe a media organization would threaten and bully an ordinary person with doxxing into changing their behavior. This meme master is probably like 15, first of all. And he did nothing wrong. Whether it's the DNC or it's media arms or it's activists in the University, we can expect nothing less than the contemptible or outright criminal. The message at the end is loud and clear, "keep making fun of us, and we will ruin your life."

edited July 2017

I just can't believe a media organization would threaten and bully an ordinary person with doxxing into changing their behavior. This meme master is probably like 15, first of all. And he did nothing wrong. Whether it's the DNC or it's media arms or it's activists in the University, we can expect nothing less than the contemptible or outright criminal. The message at the end is loud and clear, "keep making fun of us, and we will ruin your life."

He's not 15, he is a middle-aged adult. And he published a meme that had Star of David targets on every Jewish employee at CNN. "Did nothing wrong" is certainly in the eye of the beholder.
    edited July 2017
    What a weak and dishonest pretense the moral argument is for them to use. On the troll scale this guy is as mild as they come. Its all the fact thst it got shared wildly and was embarassing to them. This may be news to some, but trolls go out of their way to say outrageous things and trigger people. Thats, like, the whole purpose of what they do. Whether it's morally wrong or harmless shenanigans in your view, what is definitely wrong is a major organization intimidating ordinary people. CNN as a company can take some memes, even offensive ones. Ordinary people shouldnt have their lives ruined as a response. For the life of me, I can't believe this is being defended.

You actually think *this* is that exceptionally awful? You must be new to the internet.

What a weak and dishonest pretense the moral argument is for them to use. On the troll scale this guy is as mild as they come. Its all the fact thst it got shared wildly and was embarassing to them. This may be news to some, but trolls go out of their way to say outrageous things and trigger people. Thats, like, the whole purpose of what they do. Whether it's morally wrong or harmless shenanigans in your view, what is definitely wrong is a major organization intimidating ordinary people. CNN as a company can take some memes, even offensive ones. Ordinary people shouldnt have their lives ruined as a response. For the life of me, I can't believe this is being defended.

You actually think *this* is that exceptionally awful? You must be new to the internet.

This just proves the point I make constantly. There is literally nothing the Alt-Right crowd can be called to account for, because everything is a "joke". What's the punchline?? "Hey look, a bunch of Jews are in charge of the media". Hilarious. Screw that. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom from social consequences.
    And CNN isn't free from the consequences of the hypocritical, self righteous witch hunting that is already backfiring. Nor are the left in general immune from their need to censor and shame all forms of wrongthink, as now we have the most anti-PC president perhaps of all time. His palpable disdain for this faux moralizing most assuredly played into his appeal.
    edited July 2017

And CNN isn't free from the consequences of the hypocritical, self righteous witch hunting that is already backfiring. Nor are the left in general immune from their need to censor and shame all forms of wrongthink, as now we have the most anti-PC president perhaps of all time. His palpable disdain for this faux moralizing most assuredly played into his appeal.

Censoring has not happened here. He is free to continue to be what he is, post what he wants. You also can't shame someone unless they know in their head they did something wrong. Now it's considered "PC" to be against hostile lists of Jews in the media. Says it all really. And no, it didn't just play into his appeal, it IS his appeal. Almost exclusively. But this "it's a joke" crap is a well that is beyond dry. 90% of the time, it's only a joke in retrospect when they get criticized. A coward's way out, an escape hatch. Never once on this forum have I ever defended a post by saying "it was a joke, lighten up". Because it's BS. If he can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    edited July 2017
    Here's a hot take: it's probably better to not be a troll and antisemitic and an a**hole online.

This dude is free to continue to be an a**hole but it sounds like he's frightened because he can't hide behind his keyboard anyone. Like many, but not all, trolls and alt-right he's been saying things he'd never say to people's faces. When the opportunity is there to own his hatred, and bigotry and delusional world-view he's shrunk and decided he doesn't want to own that behavior.

Well that's fine, don't be an a**hole online. Treat others like you want to be treated. Don't say the crazy, violent, bigoted stuff that you would not say to people's faces hiding behind a keyboard. I think most people would not run up to people's faces and yell the things that trolls write online. Sure they might think whatever but when it comes to actually intentionally assaulting someone verbally most people don't actually do that.

Trump kind of is an exception in that he's a troll that will say hateful things in public but most the time he's hiding behind his keyboard too with the electronic hatred on twitter. Most trolls aren't like that in real life.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I notice the 'but it was satire/jesting/plain not literal so I'm a Good Guy' schtick shows up when alt-right folks are obviously sunk in a discussion, ie explaining that dozens if not hundreds of bold-faced lies from a pathological liar are in fact not meant to be taken literally.

I wonder why "conspiracy nutters" don't suspect the obvious, that their leaders are out to get them... but I suspect the more paranoid these people get, the more paradoxically they trust the ones that are Enlightening them. :sweat:

*goes back into the woodwork*
    It's called Political Correctness for a reason, it's about politics, not morality. The left didn't witch hunt Johnny Depp for joking about assasinating the President nor Madonna for saying she wants to blow up the White House nor the public performances of Trumps murder but they are perfectly happy to go after random nobodies if they get a popular tweet about CNN getting beaten down by Trump in wrestling and then dig into their history to find an excuse after the fact. There is no moral center being defended, no principles worth standing on, except the need to appear justified in being the arbiters of acceptable discourse they set themselves up as.

The end result of this impulse is, at the very best, what we see in places in Europe, criminalization of benign expression political or apolitical, such as Germanys law banning criticism of foriegn leaders that was only recently revoked and the UK's criminal case against a youtuber who taught his girlfriends dog the nazi salute. Moral busybodying hurts good people.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited July 2017

What a weak and dishonest pretense the moral argument is for to use. On the troll scale this guy is as mild as they come. Its all the fact thst it got shared wildly and was embarassing to them. This may be news to some, but trolls go out of their way to say outrageous things and trigger people. Thats, like, the whole purpose of what they do. Whether it's morally wrong or harmless shenanigans in your view, what is definitely wrong is a major organization intimidating ordinary people. CNN as a company can take some memes, even offensive ones. Ordinary people shouldnt have their lives ruined as a response. For the life of me, I can't believe this is being defended.

Define: "ordinary"

And this guy was probably served legally. Unless certain conditions were met, he'd be hauled off to civil court for libel/slander accusations.

Instead of growing a backbone and standing up for his "ordinary" beliefs, he cowered and submitted to the demands.

You can cry foul all you want, but this is just a internet troll being put in his place and I bet you ot wasnt a 15 year old in it for the looks, but someone who would have a lot more to lose if his name went public.

It's called Political Correctness for a reason, it's about politics, not morality. The left didn't witch hunt Johnny Depp for joking about assasinating the President nor Madonna for saying she wants to blow up the White House nor the public performances of Trumps murder but they are perfectly happy to go after random nobodies if they get a popular tweet about CNN getting beaten down by Trump in wrestling and then dig into their history to find an excuse after the fact.

And the LEFT is not going after this guy, only CNN, yu know the party he decided to pick a fight with. They have every right to stop this type of behaviour that can damage their reputation.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I do think it's worth pointing out that there are no laws in the United States requiring people to use politically correct language. It's a strictly voluntary process, and plenty of people opt out without getting punished in any way.

If you want to use non-PC language, do it. Some people won't like it, and they'll say they don't like it, but no government agency or organized group is going to force you to change.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion. Be proud of it.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    It's kinda ubelievable for me that someone seriously defends such a "Jews list".
    I mean - we all know what those lists are for, right? They always - regardless of country - say: those are vile Jews that control state, while pretending not to be Jews!
    It's not an innocent joke, but "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" kind of crap.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,389

The end result of this impulse is, at the very best, what we see in places in Europe, criminalization of benign expression political or apolitical, such as Germanys law banning criticism of foriegn leaders that was only recently revoked and the UK's criminal case against a youtuber who taught his girlfriends dog the nazi salute. Moral busybodying hurts good people.

You can argue about where the line should be on restrictions to free speech, but very few people would argue that there should be no restrictions at all, e.g. in relation to incitement to murder or terrorism. It's therefore not really about whether benign expression is criminalized, but how benign is defined. Personally I would not regard someone who rewards a dog for expressing excitement when being asked "do you want to gas the jews" as being benign ...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Wait I don't get it. Is CNN made because being Jewish is supposedly an insult? What was the Troll's aim in the first place. I don't his point OR the outrage. Can someone explain what I'm overlooking?
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Wait I don't get it. Is CNN made because being Jewish is supposedly an insult? What was the Troll's aim in the first place. I don't his point OR the outrage. Can someone explain what I'm overlooking?

The person who made the WWE/Trump/CNN GIF also posted a picture of all CNN personalities, with Stars of David in the upper-right corner of everyone who was Jewish. We all know what the Star of David has been used for as a way to indentify people in the past. And the idea that Jews are secretly controlling the media and finance is among the world's biggest, longest lasting, and dangerous conspiracies. Morever, you can dig further into this guy's history and find liberal use of the "n" word. But moreover, it's clear from Trump tweeting his GIF and Trump's son defending this guy that they are, at the very least, VERY sympathetic to this burgeoning white nationalist movement online. But that isn't news to anyone who was paying attention to their actions during the campaign.

There is a straight-line that goes from Gamergate, to people who use the term "SJW" non-ironically, to Pepe avatars, to MAGA hats, then to "jokes" about anti-Semitism, to straight up eliminationist rhetoric about minority groups. Not everyone makes it that far, but many do. Don't take my word for, go read a Youtube comment section about virtually ANYTHING. Go to 4chan. Hell, go to the RPGCodex. The one thing it all has in common is frequently calling liberalism a "disease" that must be eradicated, and the caveat that no matter what their views are, they want you to know that it was liberals who pushed them to where they are. They can't even take responsibility for their own opinions. And you aren't (supposedly) able to criticize them because it is all wrapped-up in this culture of "trolling" where things can either be serious or be a joke, with no discernable difference or guidelines of which is which, because it's all nothing but a bullshit escape hatch for things they are too chickenshit to say in public.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

You underestimate the power of the written word when written by the most powerful man in the world.

Possibly so, but the best way to take away the power of his written word is to ignore it. People like Trump desperately crave attention so it is imperative that the rest of us not give it to him whenever possible.

Again, if the Electoral College is an outdated system then the ball is in the court of those saying it is outdated to devise a better system. Of course, that addresses only the Presidential election; @jjstraka34 was also noting how the Senate gives voters in North Dakota more power, Senate-wise, than voters in California. It isn't enough to identify a problem; one must also propose solutions. I, myself, am working on it even as I type this. (I follow my own advice--the very idea.)
    I'm glad you too agree that these jokes are a problem; luckily Depp himself immediately acknowledged he'd misstepped though, which would be why nobody cares about his 'joke' anymore, left, right, or center. He backed off because indeed he was 'called out' by the media, which contrasts with famous politicians positively spewing proveable falsehoods that instead sticks to the lies. If said politician lied rarely, or even apologized when caught red-handed, he'd have no credibility gap, and nobody would be attacking his integrity. Or at least far fewer would; as it is, he's insulting people's intelligence, which gives offense.

Interesting point about political correctness in the US, that it's very much a choice. Thats why decent people pounce when people misstep. Something is deemed politically incorrect because it is unnecessarily hurtful, and choosing to inflict unneeded suffering is pretty much in the definition of evil. Thus, I suppose I disagree that 'good people' get caught up by being politically incorrect. I think there are people shown to be either malicious or callus however, and if they won't accept they're being cruel, ostracism is appropriate.

Finally, wouldn't it be odd to speak glowingly of one party being overly vigorous in their defense, while arguing another entity should simply ignore attacks? Wouldn't that be a bit hypocritical?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Possibly so, but the best way to take away the power of his written word is to ignore it. People like Trump desperately crave attention so it is imperative that the rest of us not give it to him whenever possible.

Again, if the Electoral College is an outdated system then the ball is in the court of those saying it is outdated to devise a better system. Of course, that addresses only the Presidential election; @jjstraka34 was also noting how the Senate gives voters in North Dakota more power, Senate-wise, than voters in California. It isn't enough to identify a problem; one must also propose solutions. I, myself, am working on it even as I type this. (I follow my own advice--the very idea.)
    A lot of people just ignored Mein Kampf.

Ignoring hate doesnt make it disappear. It just allows it to grow.
    I suspect Trump's tweeting isn't quite on par with Mein Kampf, unsavory as it is.
    DreadKhan said:

I suspect Trump's tweeting isn't quite on par with Mein Kampf, unsavory as it is.

He's not done tweeting yet, he still might get there.

He's been provoking North Korea quite a bit recently. Two looney leaders both who are too stubborn to back down. Both are afraid to look weak because they both try to rule by fear.

Might we be headed to another Korean War?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Wait, Trump invaded Poland today didn't he?
This discussion has been closed.