Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    ThacoBell said:

@smeagolheart " white conservative Christian"

As a white conservative Christian I assure you that my interests are not being met.

I said they're secondary to corporations. Maybe it's a really far second place on the list. You've at least got a prayer, pun intended, of these Trump people of helping you.

Like imagine if you get attacked by a CEO and he steals your money and claims your house well you are outta luck. But if a muslim looks at you funny then you can probably kneecap him or something that'd be fine they'd let you do that.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2017
    Those on the right should be just as concerned about the end of Net Neutrality as anyone else, ESPECIALLY those on the Alt-right, who I can't stand. The entire so-called "anti-PC" movement almost entirely exists on internet forums/message boards and is centered around personalities on Youtube. None of those personalities or websites are going to have the money to pay protection money to Verizon, ATT and Comcast. If they think demonetization on Youtube has been tough, wait til their particular channels get down-throttled. Moreover, once the internet is turned over the a handful of corporations who can afford to pay ransom money to the telcom companies, they aren't going to want a THING to do with any controversial opinions, which destroy profit. The ultimate irony is that, barring a stop to this, Donald Trump will destroy the entire messaging apparatus of this movement that helped put him in office.

The internet is all we really have left my friends. If it goes the way of the corporate television media, or of the many newspapers across the country who have been victims of media consolidation, we will lose access to any sort of truth-telling (no matter what you believe that to be) in short order. I'd say within 20 years, we'd be even LESS informed than we are now, completely helpless as a society to avoid either fascism, or, at the very least, total oligarchy.

Take the Beamdog Forums here. A company we like, a community we participate in. Say your service provider sees that this forum is your most visited page based on ISP and browser activity. Say they decide that they are going to start charging you on a per diem basis for every time you visit a website over a certain amount of times in a month. There would be nothing to stop them. Imagine owning a car, but not being able to drive in certain parts of town without buying access on a monthly basis. I urge everyone to oppose this. This kind of unfettered capitalism is the road to ruin as sure communism.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    On top of that, the internet has become an absolute necessity in these modern times. This kind of capitalism is going to block lower income people entirely out of websites they need. Like, what if you dont have much money because you're between jobs? Most places don't hire walk-ins anymore. You need the internet for that.

And what if your income comes entirely from a small online business? You're not going to be able to make ends meet if the big companies start restricting access to your website.

It's going to mess everything up.
    edited November 2017
    Supposedly the media is librul, right? That's what the Conservatives give as the excuse for going to their right wing media bubble.

Well after net neutrality is gone, you think these big multinational corporations that are our internet service providers and our media are going to allow your breitbarts and other hate sites to be accessed? They just want us to be consumers, they don't want hate sites and controversial sites.

This is actually probably a bigger FU to conservatives than to liberals lol. Trump is hurting them more. He shouldn't be hurting anyone, but he's determined to sell us all out to multinational corporations and cut their taxes.

NY AG has been investigating corruption of the public comment process on Net Neutrality for months:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2017
    Apparently some folks are trying to increase the number of federal judicial seats now that the GOP has total control over filling those seats--the exact same strategy FDR used in his infamous court-packing scheme.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Apparently some folks are trying to increase the number of federal judicial seats now that the GOP has total control over filling those seats--the exact same strategy FDR used in his infamous court-packing scheme.

Nothing is too hypocritical for the GOP.
    edited November 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Nothing is too hypocritical for politicians.

Except nothing remotely like what the Republicans are doing with the judiciary happens on the other side. Bush got his Supreme Court picks (the one that got blown up was because of Republicans, as she was wholly unqualified, he still got to name a replacement). Obama not only had a vast swath of his federal lower court picks blocked for his entire Presidency, but (and I will never, ever stop harping on this), he was denied the constitutional power of his office to name a Supreme Court vacancy even though he had a year left on his term. Nothing like it has EVER happened since this country was founded. It was the most blatant attack on civil and political norms since Watergate. A Democratic President's Supreme Court pick was stolen and given to his Republican successor. But that isn't the end of that story, even such so-called "moderates" in the age of Trump like Orrin Hatch and John McCain were directly on the record before the election saying that, if Hillary won, she would also not have been allowed to fill a Supreme Court vacancy for, ostensibly, her ENTIRE 4 YEAR TERM as long as Republicans controlled the Senate. The Republicans have flat-out declared as their basic policy that no Democrat is allowed to pick a Supreme Court Justice. And no, it never came CLOSE to happening when Republican Presidents were in office with a Democratic controlled Senate. Reagan and Bush Sr. got to fill all their vacancies when that situation came up for 12 years.
    Both sides are not equal.

Also now Republicans are now ignoring the "blue slip" thing where 40 years of tradition a senator has some slight say on the pick for federal judges in their home states.

Republicans who whined and howled and withheld blue slips are now ignoring Dems when the shoe is on the other foot. Republicans have been rewarded for ruining the government.

This is not a "well I guess both sides" issue. And to top it off Trump is appointing bloggers, ghost hunters, and totally unqualified people. They are packing courts. Republicans are rubber stamping them all. They are approving 6 in a day and schenanigans like that. The GOP is like great, lets get some people in the courts who believe in christian sharia law over the Constitution.

Republican voters are letting these guys run wild. "It's strength when they ruin the government!" It's so great when they take their football and go home. Way to reward these clowns. Thanks for that. The rest of us have to put up with it.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Man of the Year should be Putin. Nobody has sown so much chaos while doing so little that I can ever remember. Nobody's even talking about the Crimea anymore!
    Balrog99 said:

Man of the Year should be Putin. Nobody has sown so much chaos while doing so little that I can ever remember. Nobody's even talking about the Crimea anymore!

It probably should be Putin actually (certainly not a bad choice), but the bigger question is this: how does being President of the United States measure as insufficient to soothe one's ego to the point that they still crave being Time Magazine's Man of the Year??
    edited November 2017
    So the outgoing CFPB head, a government agency put in place to PROTECT THE PUBLIC after the financial crisis resigned and named his replacement, the interim director. Trump named his own interim director, Mulvaney, who is already the budget director and has said in the past that he wants to destroy the CFPB. Trump is saying this person is the acting head and should run the department until the senate confirms the head later (that he has not nominated).

Why is trump trying to do this? The acting director should run it, why name your own acting director? Because he's trying to circumvent the Senate and destroy the agency. By naming an acting director, who does not need Senate confirmation, he can just directly name his own department heads. Then he just doesn't have to name the head and go through the whole messy senate confirmation process. See what's wrong here?

By the way, he's doing the same thing with the census head. The 2020 census should be gearing up now. Trump hasn't nominated anyone but he is naming an interim head. This crazy guy who Trump is tapping to head the important census wrote a book "Why Competitive Elections are Bad for America". I poop you not. This guy is a college professor who the GOP has called as a witness defending them in several gerrymandering lawsuits. He has no experience running a large department of anything or working in the government. So Trump's not going to name a head there either that requires messy confirmation. Just appoint the defacto head.

So here's Trump destroying democracy some more. He's attempting to destroy consumer protections. His tax cuts will be a tax increase for lower and middle class and a massive tax cut to richest of the rich people. He's rolled back protections against harmful arbitration clauses so you can be screwed over more by banks (such as wells fargo, equifax, etc). His head of the FCC is ignoring people and going to roll back net neutrality and leave us at the mercy of comcast and verizon. If they feel like providing us access to the internet then we can pay through the nose for it. They will decide what we can see or can't see. That's what they want.

He is attacking the middle class and lower classes. He's turning over everything to corporations, billionaires and millionaires. He's rolling back any protection we have from these predators.

And waving a shiny thing at people omg abortion, omg kneeling athletes!, omg crime. It's worked people in Alabama are going to vote for a pedophile who ignores the Constitution over a, gulp, democrat. And that's great because Roy Moore will vote for the "big beautiful tax cuts" for the rich and Trump's family. Repealing the estate tax is specifically for Trump and other billionaires.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on

Balrog99 said:

It probably should be Putin actually (certainly not a bad choice), but the bigger question is this: how does being President of the United States measure as insufficient to soothe one's ego to the point that they still crave being Time Magazine's Man of the Year??
    Uhhhhh, he wants to be King of the World? Maybe even the universe! Oh wait, there may be alternate universes so how about Emperor of all Reality!
    Of course even then the dad of some basketball player he just rescued from the League of Left-handed Time Travellers might not thank him quickly enough...
    Balrog99 said:

Of course even then the dad of some basketball player he just rescued from the League of Left-handed Time Travellers might not thank him quickly enough...

As a basketball fan, a week ago I would have said it was impossible to get me (or anyone) to root for LaVar Ball (think of him as a basketball version of Kris Jenner of the Kardashian clan, using his kids to start a brand and make money). Trump managed to do so.
    edited November 2017
    Trump's FCC director is trying to spin the end of net neutrality as (of course) a return to Clinton-era internet regulation. What nonsense. The entire idea was in it's infancy. There was no high-speed internet for most of the '90s. It certainly hadn't penetrated society enough to be considered an essential public utility. I remember the only reason we even had it at home was because my dad was allowed to dial into the school computer lab to use their connection. Other than that, you were stuck with AOL sending you CD-ROMs in the mail. How many people still remember Lycos and Netscape Navigator?? Point being: the internet was a novelty for most of the Clinton Administration. 20 years later it is all but essential to everyday transactions.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I remember Lycos and I really liked NetScape Navigator 4 because even back then it was better than IE. Of course, I also still remember when Yahoo was an actual search tree--you clicked on "science", scrolled down to click on "geology", then "vulcanology", then finally you could get to the results which were links that took you to sites about volcanoes or with volcano pictures.

Even without the current net neutrality rules the Internet would still be pretty unrestricted. Some individual instances notwithstanding, the providers really don't care what content you are viewing as long as you pay your bill each month. Whether the rules are in place or not, the money will always flow in one direction--from your pocket into the bank account(s) of the media companies and ISPs. Given that the providers are not government entities, claims of "censorship" are in error--AT&T is not *required* to host content with which it disagrees if it doesn't want to (yes, I know right now they have to but that may change soon). Ideally, they wouldn't do that, of course, but the world is not an ideal place and so we must live with it as it exists. If you don't like AT&T because of that then sign up with someone else.

That last sentence bring us to the *real* problem with Internet access at this time--consumer choice. In some places the consumers do not have sufficient choice and must sign up with the ISP who serves their area, whether that provider is consistently supplying the utility for which the consumer is paying or not. I think people in New York City must still obtain their Internet access through Time Warner and people in remote areas have only satellite providers for access. For the last year when I still had Earthlink dial-up (back in 2003) I kept trying to get DSL but it never happened because the closest central office was too far away and they were not sure when another CO would be put in place which could service my local area.

Flynn's lawyers told Trump's lawyers that they will no longer discuss any details about the ongoing Mueller investigation. Many people keeping a close eye on that situation have concluded that this is an indication that Flynn is now fully cooperating with the Mueller investigation, probably as a precursor to a plea or immunity agreement. Trump threw Flynn under the bus so now it is his turn to return the favor.
    Trump's pick for the Consumer Protection Bureau has instituted a rule making freeze and a hiring freeze. Mulvaney has said he wants to gut the consumer protection agency in the past.

The agency was created as a result of the financial crisis as part of Dodd-Frank. Barney Frank ripped Mulvaney saying his installation by Trump goes against the act. The CFPB is supposed to be free from political influence.

The acting director under the Dodd-Frank act, Leandra English, has sued the Trump administration for their desired destruction of this government agency charged with protecting consumers. The case will first go to district judge Timothy Kelly, a Donald Trump appointed judge who has been on the job for 2 months.
    edited November 2017
    Mulvaney is just the latest fox put in charge on the hen-house. A large portion of Trump's cabinet is dedicated to DESTROYING the Departments they are in charge of. Before Rick Perry was put in charge of the Department of Energy, he famously talked in a debate about getting rid of it. Betsy DeVos' life mission in recent years has been to destroy public education, and she is the Secretary of Education. Scott Pruitt made his bones SUING the EPA at every opportunity, and then was put in charge of it. Now Mulvaney, who doesn't believe the Consumer Protection Agency should exist, is being put in charge. See a pattern?? And of course, the FCC head wants to hand the internet over whole-sale to the telcom industry. The damage that will be done with 4 years of these people in charge will be nearly irreversible.

MEANWHILE....Project Veritas, the James O'Keefe scam operation, which has more than once been portrayed in this thread as being a credible organization, has been caught red-handed sending in a woman with a fake story about Roy Moore to the Washington Post, with the hope that the Post would buy her narrative, it would come out as fake, thus discrediting all the other accusers. One problem?? The Washington Post didn't buy it, because the are a news organization that checks their stories. And what they found was more conservative rat-f***ing. This will come as a surprise to absolutely no one who would have been willing to listen to what I (and every sentient human being) have been saying about James O'Keefe this entire time. He has pulled this scam at least half a dozen times, on issues regarding voter registration groups, Planned Parenthood, and even going so far as impersonating a phone repair company in an attempt to break into a Democratic Senator's office to bug her phone. Now, these dark arts are being used to attempt to discredit child sexual molestation victims and usher a pedophile into office.

Beyond that, it's come out in the last few days that, privately, Donald Trump has been pushing the idea that the Access Hollywood tape is a fake. I guess to believe this you would have to ignore the video of him personally explaining it was "locker-room talk", since there would have been no reason to have to explain a faked audio recording. But 30% of the population will eat this explanation up with a spoon if he ever offers it in public.
    edited November 2017

Here's what happened during the Indian Removal Act - during the fall and winter of 1838 and 1839, the Cherokees were forcibly moved west by the United States government. Approximately 4,000 Cherokees died on this forced march, which became known as the "Trail of Tears."

You wonder if Trump is clueless or mean. Maybe he just doesn't give a damn about anyone not named Trump or dollar bill.

Here's what happened during the Indian Removal Act - during the fall and winter of 1838 and 1839, the Cherokees were forcibly moved west by the United States government. Approximately 4,000 Cherokees died on this forced march, which became known as the "Trail of Tears."

You wonder if Trump is clueless or mean. Maybe he just doesn't give a damn about anyone not named Trump or dollar bill.
    I'm starting to think it's a possibility he is in the early stages of dementia.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I believe he thinks any coverage is good coverage. Who cares if he offends anyone/everyone as long as people are talking about him.

Even if he was in the early stages of dementia, it doesn't excuse his staff for setting it up exactly in that spot.
    deltago said:

I believe he thinks any coverage is good coverage. Who cares if he offends anyone/everyone as long as people are talking about him.

Even if he was in the early stages of dementia, it doesn't excuse his staff for setting it up exactly in that spot.

People need to get over the fact that his core supporters like him in spite of stunts like this. Stunts like this are precisely WHY they like him. For instance, Trump has been constantly calling Doug Jones, Roy Moore's opponent, "bad on crime". As I've mentioned before, this is the guy who put away the KKK members who helped bomb an African-American church in the '60s killing 4 young girls. For many of the people in Alabama who support Donald Trump and Roy Moore, putting those KKK members in prison might very well be considered "bad on crime".
    edited November 2017
    He has his supporters believing everything he says because everyone else (reality) is fake news so the only thing you can believe is whatever spin he's telling you. Everything he likes is beautiful and wonderful. Everything he does not want you to like is terrible and awful. This is easy to digest for people who like black and white and easy answers and to be told what to think.

Example: The moon is cheese, don't believe the lying media. And I never made the access Hollywood tape, it's a fake from the lying democrats. Big beautiful tax cuts, terrible regulations. Terrible lyin' ted, wonderful wall.

Rinse and repeat for whatever agenda he wants to support or attack. A highly effective simple trick to easily fool people. Who wants to like something that's terrible and who doesn't want to like something that's big and beautiful?
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    I'm pretty sure the fake James O'Keefe Roy Moore accuser is having the desired effect.

Even though the girl was busted as a Conservative fake, there's a story out there about a fake Roy Moore accuser and that's probably all the justification some people need because if one is fake then the other nine are probably fake too.
    edited November 2017

I'm pretty sure the fake James O'Keefe Roy Moore accuser is having the desired effect.

Even though the girl was busted as a Conservative fake, there's a story out there about a fake Roy Moore accuser and that's probably all the justification some people need because if one is fake then the other nine are probably fake too.

The Washington Post barely had to do any work at all to expose them. She had a Go-fund me page that explicitly said she was joining the conservative media to expose outlets like the Washington Post. They followed her and literally caught her walking into the Project Veritas office. Making up false sexual assault allegations with the express puropose of discrediting real ones is about as low as you can go regardless, but they also happen to suck at doing so. In crime parlance, she left the murder weapon on her coffee table. They set out to prove "fake news" and instead offered a prime example of why the news isn't fake. It can be wrong, but it is rarely made up out of whole cloth.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
This discussion has been closed.