Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    "Trade wars are good, and easy to win"- Donald Trump, March 2, 2018:
    Kansas continues to lead the way in total absurdity. Not only are they pushing for teachers to be armed, by they are trying to make it CRIMINAL for anyone to reveal which teachers may be armed, making it totally impossible for parents to legally know if their child's teacher is carrying a weapon in the classroom:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article207339619.html
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

"Trade wars are good, and easy to win"- Donald Trump, March 2, 2018:

allegedly this is $3B worth of tariffs. All I can say is GL.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2018

Kansas continues to lead the way in total absurdity. Not only are they pushing for teachers to be armed, by they are trying to make it CRIMINAL for anyone to reveal which teachers may be armed, making it totally impossible for parents to legally know if their child's teacher is carrying a weapon in the classroom:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article207339619.html

Why would anyone want to live in Kansas with policies like this? Who thinks, thank god my legislators are keeping it secret which teachers are armed! That's the smart thing to do?

Who is demanding secret armed teachers in classrooms? Nobody. Nobody thinks that's a great idea. When a Kansas teacher inevitably shoots him(or her)self or a student will be able to cover it up because hey you can't say that a teacher was armed, that's a crime! Is that what this is all about? You know they've thought about this.

Why do Republican voters keep putting these people in office? Okay, you don't like libruls! Great, you've bought that message, but what are you actually getting? Bathroom bills, religious freedom bills, tax cuts for corporations, and underpaid teachers. This is red state america priorities?

These Republicans are not representing you. Do something about it. I don't understand why people in Kansas allow this to happen, especially now. You won the "no democrat" lottery oh boy you're so lucky you got what you want, but what did ya get?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Unbelievable. This shit (day after day after day) would make Tammany Hall blush:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/climate/epa-pruitt-pipeline-apartment.html?smid=tw-share
    edited April 2018
    Trump got all worked up after watching TV yesterday on Easter and he's still tweeting about it today. This time blaming Obama because he's a baby who blames others and takes no responsibility.

Sessions said catch and release ended last year. Staying up to date it hard when you're old.

He also wants to blame Democrats for DACA but he's the guy that ended it. A coward doesn't take personal responsibility.

Trump warns of migrant caravan following Fox News report, but organizers say reality far from their portrayal.

Anyway, back to the original issue. You can start that he's forming policy decisions from Fox News. There is not a more slanted propaganda "News" channel in the US. They complain about other stations having biases but it's typical projection you see from these conservative types. They are the ones that are bending reality to fit a conservative narrative of fear, in this case of immigrants.

CARAVANS OF IMMIGRANTS! Sounds scary eh? So what's the truth? Not what you get on a fox news soundbite or the racist interpretation of a golf player sitting in the white house.

-------
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/world/americas/caravans-migrants-mexico-trump.html

“He’s trying to paint this as if we are trying to go to the border, and we’re going to storm the border,” Mr. Mujica said.

Alex Mensing, project coordinator for Pueblo Sin Fronteras, added: “We’re definitely not looking for some kind of showdown.”

Mr. Mujica predicted that at most 10 percent to 15 percent of the participants would seek asylum at the border. Most of the others would drop out along the way, many over the next several days as the group traveled from Oaxaca to the state of Puebla and on to Mexico City, and many of those would seek asylum or some other protection in Mexico.

“We have a lot of people living in Mexico now,” Mr. Mujica said, speaking of participants in past caravans. “All they want is a place to live without fear.”

“We don’t promote going to the United States,” Mr. Mensing said. “It’s a challenging place to seek asylum.”
    -------

Asylum? People are allowed to show up at the border and seek asylum. They do so because they are fleeing violence from their home countries. It's been accepted that being accepted into the US because of murder and killings in your own country is a humanitarian thing. Humanitarian (being a human human with "feelings") is too much to ask the racist old man watching fear mongering on Fox News while blaming others for everything.
    edited April 2018
    I suppose we should also consider it totally normal now that the President of the United States is using his platform to purposefully try to tank the stock of a company (Amazon) because he doesn't like the way the Washington Post (owned by the same person) is reporting on him. If Barack Obama had EVER specifically attacked a company the way Trump has the last few days, the Articles of Impeachment would have drawn up themselves. Many people are wondering how in the hell this isn't being viewed as a securities violation. Amazon stock holders should band together in a lawsuit post-haste. The President is using his power to personally sanction a company in a ostensibly "free" society as punishment for negative press coverage of himself. This is INSANE. This isn't about just Amazon, this is about the most basic tenants of the First Amendment. Trump is DIRECTLY attacking it. He should be marched out of office for this alone:
    Chief White House Ethics lawyer for Pres. George W. Bush from '05-'07. Tweets reflect his own views.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The funny part is that Jeff Bezos has asserted almost no influence over the editorial staff at the Post. In fact, when he took over it was Democrats who were worried that he'd take it in a more libertarian direction, of all things! All the guy has done is create basically the best company in America. Amazon rules.

The only thing Jeff Bezos has done that I don't like is create a paywall for WaPo online, leading my favorite legal blog, The Volokh Conspiracy, to jump ship.

Trump's claims about Amazon "taking advantage of the USPS" is false, as packages "are one area that's growing for the postal service, bringing in more than $19 billion in revenue last year even as volume of letters and magazines declined" https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-contract-usps-fact-checking-trump-tweets-amazon-post-office-03-31-2018/

To top it all off, Bernie Sanders is now also commenting on Amazon, saying they are too big and getting involved in too many areas of commerce. He's worried about the decline in brick and mortar retail. http://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-amazon-is-too-big-2018-4

I would not be surprised to see congressional hearings on Amazon and sales taxes soon, with bipartisan support.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I like Amazon, but it really doesn't seem like fair competition when it doesn't have to pay the same kind of taxes as other retailers. Generally it's better when companies become large because of a brilliant business strategy or product line, rather than an arbitrary advantage due to a legal issue.
    edited April 2018
    Amazon pays taxes and they are helping the post office as @booinyoureyes pointed out.

3rd party sellers on amazon do not always collect state and local taxes but Amazon itself does.

If you think Amazon is not paying enough taxes that's true because Trump and Republicans cut corporate taxes.

and besides being wrong about their taxes...

edited April 2018
    @smeagolheart that's a huge oversimplification.
    First off, Amazon wasn't given a tax break. The corporate rates were simply cut accross the board to reflect the United States competition. That's not an Amazon-specific tax cut.

Second, the main point of contention here are sales taxes, which are collected by the states. The probe is that brick and mortar retailers pay state sales taxes, while online retailers do so only occasionally, depending on the relevant laws.

Amazon now actually does collect sales taxes in all states in which it does business, starting around this time last year. However, it does so only for its own sales and not for third-party merchants who use the Amazon website. I don't think it is useful to bash a company for tax avoidance. Every company can be expected do everything within its means to legally lower its tax burden. If people like Trump and Sanders do not like this, then they should call for a change in the laws.

First off, Amazon wasn't given a tax break. The corporate rates were simply cut accross the board to reflect the United States competition. That's not an Amazon-specific tax cut.

Second, the main point of contention here are sales taxes, which are collected by the states. The probe is that brick and mortar retailers pay state sales taxes, while online retailers do so only occasionally, depending on the relevant laws.

Amazon now actually does collect sales taxes in all states in which it does business, starting around this time last year. However, it does so only for its own sales and not for third-party merchants who use the Amazon website. I don't think it is useful to bash a company for tax avoidance. Every company can be expected do everything within its means to legally lower its tax burden. If people like Trump and Sanders do not like this, then they should call for a change in the laws.

Yes, not only Amazon was given a tax break ALL corporations were given permanent tax breaks including Amazon. To complain about Amazon's taxes when Republicans unilaterally just cut them in half is beyond stupid. Amazon collects state and local taxes so what is Trump whining about? He cut their taxes. Worried about third party not collecting state and local taxes? Pass federal or state laws like a few states have done already.

Online retailers not collecting taxes is a different argument from singling out Amazon. What's different about Amazon than others - the Washington Post

Trump is trying to be a dictator like the others he admires so much such as Putin, Ergodan, Sisi, and Duetere. He praises these guys, bashes Merkel, Trudeau, May. Fundamentally he doesn't believe in America in Democracy his whole life has been circumventing the rule of law to benefit himself. He is not to be questioned like Steven Miller said. He wants one party rule he keeps tweeting about it. How is that America. He does not want the truth he wants to do away with the free press and have his lies and spin unquestioned.
    edited April 2018

This a complete lie. There is a 2006 law that PROHIBITS the post office from pricing parcel delivery below cost. At this point Amazon should simply look into suing for libel.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Mueller's team is still casting a very wide net, hoping to find any smoke which might give them a hint of a fire.

I know you have a healthy reflex to think that things are overblown, but it's absurd to suggest that there isn't already smoke here.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    joluv said:

Mueller's team is still casting a very wide net, hoping to find any smoke which might give them a hint of a fire.

I know you have a healthy reflex to think that things are overblown, but it's absurd to suggest that there isn't already smoke here.
    30 days and a $20k fine? What a joke this investigation is turning out to be. $20k doesn't even pay for 1 day of this endeavour.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't think the point of such an investigation is to pay for itself with fines. It is simply to find the truth.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    joluv said:

Not where they are currently looking. If the Mueller team were playing the children's game "hot or cold" then by looking at Gates and Manafort they were "hot" but by looking at this current company they are definitely "cold".

Did I mention the Asheville, North Carolina bodycam footage of an officer chasing down, beating, choking, and tasing a black man for jaywalking? Yes, you read that correctly--jaywalking. Early in the morning (somwhere around 0230 or 0330), with no traffic on the street in question. By himself. On his way home after finishing a shift of washing dishes.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Perjury also never exists until there's a trial, yet that doesn't make it any less of a crime. The point is not to justify the existence of the investigation; the point of the penalty is the same as the point of criminalizing perjury: because it discourages other people from lying to law enforcement.

The alternative to punishing people for lying to the FBI is to not punish people for lying to the FBI.

That's a good point.
    Balrog99 said:

joluv said:

30 days and a $20k fine? What a joke this investigation is turning out to be. $20k doesn't even pay for 1 day of this endeavour.
    It doesn't pay for a table in Ben Carson's HUD office either, but it's probably enough to put one on layaway.
    edited April 2018

joluv said:

Not where they are currently looking. If the Mueller team were playing the children's game "hot or cold" then by looking at Gates and Manafort they were "hot" but by looking at this current company they are definitely "cold".

Did I mention the Asheville, North Carolina bodycam footage of an officer chasing down, beating, choking, and tasing a black man for jaywalking? Yes, you read that correctly--jaywalking. Early in the morning (somwhere around 0230 or 0330), with no traffic on the street in question. By himself. On his way home after finishing a shift of washing dishes.
    Of course, we haven't even mentioned the man shot to death by 8 police bullets while attempting to enter the back door of his own residence in Sacramento. Of course, he didn't have a gun, but a cell phone, and the autopsy shows that he was likely shot in the back 6 times. Again, for attempting to enter his grandmother's house carrying a cell phone. Being an African-American in this country means your very right to EXIST as a normal citizen is an illusion that can shatter at any time.

Per usual, the cops said they were looking for a burglar. Cops seem to be perpetually looking for amorphous burglars. And the reason I am sensitive to this bullshit excuse is that TWICE in the last decade I have been offered the same excuse when confronted by a cop when unloading my car late at night moving into a new apartment. I'm beginning to wonder if I would have even survived those encounters if I was black.

If a black man is shot and killed by cops, you can bet anything that a phantom burglar terrorizing the neighborhood will be part of the story. Incidentally, it certainly doesn't appear any of these burglars are ever caught.
    edited April 2018
    Trump says he's going to order the military to guard the southern border. Until his wall is complete. No word on the Northern border for some reason. Why?

He plans to have the military guard the border against women, children and asylum seekers. Trump last week invited Vladimir Putin to the White House. Vladimir Putin owner of anti-American propaganda troll farms who infiltrated national and state elections in the recent past and are still active today. The guy who launched an assassination in the United Kingdom causing most countries to kick out their ambassadors. But the problem facing America is asylum seekers and women and children. This guy is nuts.

Yes, not only Amazon was given a tax break ALL corporations were given permanent tax breaks including Amazon. To complain about Amazon's taxes when Republicans unilaterally just cut them in half is beyond stupid. Amazon collects state and local taxes so what is Trump whining about? He cut their taxes. Worried about third party not collecting state and local taxes? Pass federal or state laws like a few states have done already.

He wasn't complaining about their corporate tax, but their sales tax practices. That's why I think pointing out the corporate rate is an unrelated issue.
This discussion has been closed.