Skip to content

If you could choose a universe from fiction. . .

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Tell me more about this "Culture". I don't think I've ever heard of it! And like NetHack I fear I may be missing something important! :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @CaloNord‌ look for the culture books by Iain M Banks. The last one was releaed last year a few months before he died. The Hydrogen Sonata.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Would join the dark side.
    I would kill to be in the Star Trek universe, despite it not being as safe as it appears. If your on Earth, most likely fine. However there are a lot of threats. . . The Romulans, Klingons, Breen, Dominion, Borg. . . to name just a few. . .

But yes, every single time I think of space, I think of how much must be out there. . . how little and insignificant this little backwater planet must be in the grand scheme of things. An INFINITE universe. . .
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Joke aside, @abacus‌ i feel you. I would love to be on those ships(well, I'm pretty sure once I was actually on the ship, I wouldn't, but you know what I mean.) what I would give to see America(or any part of the world, really, but I live here) before it was industrialized. When we still had miles of planes, millions of bison, and the trees in the Rocky Mountains wert all dead below 11,000 feet.
    I would totally be bros with Lewis and Clark.
    I would just love my own ship. Nothing to massive, a run about or so sized ship. . . Oh who am I kidding, I want my Akira Refit from Star Trek Online . . . It's just so. . . pretty.

That or a Klingon bird of prey crewed by hearty drunk Klingons. . . :P
    Would be great but I still don't think it would match Firefly. I don't know Firefly just holds a special place for me. :):)
    Personally, for years the Borg terrified me. The thought of being alive but not. . . it was AWFUL. Then I had the realization we are already in the Collective. . . something happens, it's uploaded to the internet, everyone accesses it. . . so close to being mindless drones. :P

That and Voyager ruined them. :P
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Mass Effect... except with no starbrat
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Babylon 5, which is still the standard against which other shows set in space are to be measured. Gritty reality, lots of political intrigue, telepaths--although I do dislike how the Psi Corps got gimped into the Happy Rainbow Unicorn Society--highly advanced alien civilizations (you can still scavenge through their technological remains and they didn't all leave), and technomages (okay, technically no new ones can be created but the process might have been stolen and replicated by someone).

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The post apocalyptic gritty low scifi Cowboy Bebop world of Mars. Thats what I'd choose. Mind you I'd end up one of the delusional old card players...
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    While i do love Star wars it is not someplace i would like to live, just to visit. Forgotten Relams seems great but that could be anything really. Faerune would be my first choice. Middle Earth is what i would have to go with based on my knowlege of it so far. I would not mind falling asleep to some Elven music.

On a side note i do have a fantacy realm in my head that i am working on. May take a while for me to put it to words however. Similar to a middle earth/forgotten realms style type thing.
  • NaturalBornKielerNaturalBornKieler Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 407
    I'm missing Riverworld, therefore it's Star Trek.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    DreadKhan said:

The post apocalyptic gritty low scifi Cowboy Bebop world of Mars. Thats what I'd choose. Mind you I'd end up one of the delusional old card players...

Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite examples of Anime. It somehow managed to balance film noir, kung-fu, pop culture and jazz-influenced music. It really shouldn't work, but it mostly does. I reckon that with the conventional weapons, itinerant bounty hunters and lo-fi slums it's kind of a hyperactive Japanese cousin to Firefly.

Still no love for 40k huh! ;) I can't say I blame you guys. . . :P
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Ahh Midkimia I totalty forgot about that one. Loved the Riftwar books i would like to get more like those in the future. Heartrafts Maruarders for the win! (been a while so i might have spelled his name wrong)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    How about the Redwall universe? Warrior mice anyone?

For one thing, the food at the abbey sounds amazing!
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    This poll could really need an "other" option.

Either way, my vote goes to Cyberpunk 2020. I'd get me some augmentations. Also, you know, glam rock. Bonus.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Star Trek seems like the safest universe of them all... so I picked that. lol.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    We dont need any weapons when we can throw battleships on each other with our mind and i have a crush on N.Portman.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @abacus not everyone liked Deep Space 9. ;)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Point taken, but wars happen... It's a regrettable fact of sentient life... Even when it's fictional life.