Skip to content

If you could choose a universe from fiction. . .

Comments

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    No witcher universe?? Never mind, then forgotten realms will have to do. People to travel with, adventure, regular combat, a drink in the tavern, aahh, those are the times... Hmmm, wood nymphs, sirines etc make it even more interesting!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited July 2014
    Any setting except for Enterprise or J. J. Abrams' films.

Make it so, Number One.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited July 2014
    Well... It depends. Choose a universe for what purpose? I assumed that I had to choose the best of these universes. And, without a shadow of doubt, it certainly is the Middle-Earth.
    Post edited by Vitor on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Mortianna said:

Any setting except for Enterprise or J. J. Abrams' films.

Make it so, Number One.

This. Who the hell thought J.J. should do this?! He murdered Trek. :P
    Soon we shall see him destroy Star Wars and the world will be complete. Yay! :P

@Vitor‌, your favorite, the best, the one you want to live in, it's open to a little interpretation! :D

I will have to make another one at some point with the bazallion ones that wouldn't fit on this poll. :/
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    I'm actually quite upset you didn't add the Dune series universe, meanwhile adding that ripoff George Lucas' Star Wars series. And I say ripoff because that ass stole multiple plot devices and ideas from Frank Herbert's science fiction novels. The only difference is that George Lucas bastardized the concepts, dumbed them down, polarized them, and fed them through a pop culture filter.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Come to think of it, the Fallout universe would be interesting.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Midkemia. Man, that takes me back, I don't think I read anything after the Darkness at Sethanon. Maybe one where an older Jimmy the Hand is a noble or something...? Yeah. That and Stephen Brust's Taltos stuff was my heroin for a few years...

If I had my druthers, you can put me down for The Culture, too. Realistically, I think we're all probably closer to The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy than is 100% comfortable.
  • CrowCrow Member Posts: 48
    To be a Smuggler and earn good credits! That is the life.

To be honest any world where I could just embark and become a Highwayman/Thief/Smuggler/??/Profit would be a good choice, come to think of it I would need to find a Starship in this world first.....

Forgotten Realms and Middle-Earth at a tie, 2nd place ;)
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    I voted Forgotten Realms but what about Westeros from asoiaf? People will argue that you're likely to die there but you can just use spoilers from the books to survive.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437

If I had my druthers, you can put me down for The Culture, too. Realistically, I think we're all probably closer to The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy than is 100% comfortable.

Do you ever wake up certain that a bulldozer is about to flatten your house and/or your planet?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It happened last Tuesday...
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    CaloNord said:

*Dies a little inside* A R C A N U M . :O

I see no one is game enough to live in the 40k universe! ;)

Dude. That universe is just TOO brutal. There are a heck of a lotta cool races, though...
    After all...
    Eldar > Every elf race in any universe ever.

As for me, I'd most want to live in Alagaesia from the Eragon series. The magic is just so awesome in it and the world is very nicely developed. Cool alternative to orcs as well. Middle Earth is just my second choice.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @CaloNord‌ Do you want to close this thread to open a new one as we talked about a few posts back?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2014
    Anyway after reading all the comments I still vote for The Culture where i could just ask for the nearest Mind (massive AI that usually run all the ships and space habitats) to upload my mind and then run a simulation of whatever fictional Universe I choose to live on.

Something in the line of. "Ship, setup a simulated Tolkien Middle-Earth, I want to be one of the Wizards that do not show up in the original story. If I die restore me to my original body and end simulation." :)
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I would have chosen Planescape, but from the options available I chose Dragonlance. I like Sword Coast, Middle-Earth, Fallout (and post-apocalypse in general), but Krynn is just so fascinating as a world to me. Yes, it's very dangerous, though being able to visit some of the locations would be an amazing adventure: High Clerist Tower and Palanthas, Tower of High Sorcery, Solace as a place to rest between travels and many more. I was always fascinated with the descriptions of the Abyss in this world, not that I would gladly enter it.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Come to think of it, the Fallout universe would be interesting.

I wouldn't mind the Mojave Wasteland of New Vegas at all. Grab an empty house just north of the Sharecroppers and you aren't likely to run into either the Legion or Fiends, Vipers, and Jackals.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @AndrewFoley yeah I reckon there's a big portion of Dent Arthur Dent in all of us, wandering around in our sleepwear perpetually puzzled by the entire universe.

But I still prefer The Culture.
    Ooo Fallout would be epic. God damn it polls. I nearly have enough to start another with the options missing from this one. :D
  • BlastbackBlastback Member Posts: 54
    Yeah, I'd go with Star Wars. I want an X-Wing. So bad....

I miss those games.
  • DivineEternal1DivineEternal1 Member Posts: 18
    Ferengi and Klingons. I'd be human but probably work with the Ferengi to move myself up in the world. I know it can be risky working with them but I think it would add to the fun. Also Klingons would be fun to play practical jokes on, providing you don't let them catch you.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I prefer a Super Star Destroyer.
    Blastback said:

I miss those games.

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Everyone dies alone, but until then there's cows in space and companions.

I'm confused - where's the vote option for "Dragonlance, because Raistlin totally kicks Elminster's ass every which way from Tuesday" ?

Seriously Elminster suxxorz. I read his biography book or whatever, and I wanted to tear my eyes out it was so bad. Professor Dumbledore is a better-conceived old white-bearded Merlin wannabe... and he's from a terrible series of books!

Read the first six Dragonlance books - Raistlin is a more compelling character than anyone up on this list, including the Tolkien books.

@elminster‌
    I believe you're being called out, sir...
    Them certainly seem like fightin' words to me!
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    mmm I would choose the mass effect universe I think if I had the choice or maybe something a little cyber punk

I live in rural England though so I choose the shire as it wouldn't be to much of a culture shock
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2014
    @element have you been to the Isle of Purbeck (which of course isn't an island)?
    Although it wasn't the inspiration for Tolkien's work it certainly has an otherworldly, out-of-sync rural charm that makes me think of the Shire every time I go there.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    ive not been, ill check It out next lm in the area. Its pretty far away from me but I do get over that way occasionally. It looks really nice from just checking it out online
  • BlastbackBlastback Member Posts: 54

I prefer a Super Star Destroyer.

Blastback said:

I miss those games.

Yeah that would be cool. But you can't fly one of those by yourself with just a droid. on the otherhand overwhelming firepower is nice...
    Ahhh I'm really bugged by how many wouldn't fit, I'll make another one shortly so we can do the ones missing from this one.

I'm conflicted now having read many more comments, so many of these worlds would be amazing to live in.