• kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Erg he mean zero bugs from the list they have not actual zero zero bugs
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    kaguana said:

he mean zero bugs from the list they have not actual zero zero bugs

I hope you're right :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Erg said:

He doesn't have to. Hitting zero bugs will require an infinite amount of time :)

Does he really believe that it is possible to hit zero bugs? LOL, that would be a first in the history of computer software!

I would recommend shooting for something more realistic :)

Realistically speaking? I'd say that if they can get BG2:EE to where BG:EE was at 1.2, they can call it a day. The games will never be completely bug-free, but they don't need to be; if the devs had made the minimal effort necessary to fix the most glaring problems in BG2:EE post-launch, they wouldn't be facing the pressure they're currently under.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited October 2014
    So when is the new faster patches thing you guys talked about already way back when BGEE patch 1.2 was released, and then multiple times since, coming? The delay between BG2EE 1.2 and 1.3 is already months longer than even the the wait for BGEE 1.2 was.

I could also point out that @Dee already said that BG2EE 1.3 had under 30 bugs left back in August, or that the last 6 BGEE 1.3 bugs took you guys a month to fix.

Yes, I'm awfully negative, but to the outside observer absolutely nothing seems to have changed even though you guys yourselfs have, again and again, said that it would.

Here we are again though with you guys apparently aiming for some kind of perfect patch when other developers are quite happy to release patches that fix couple, or even just one, issue. This kind of approach to patching seems to be the main cause of your glacial patching speed.
    Post edited by Messi on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, no. There is always a better word than misdiagnosing a serious medical condition, especially if you're intending that label as an insult.

The work we are doing right now is preparing for beta. There are seventeen open issues; the issues that remain are ones that need to be fixed, and they're worth fixing right.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Dee said:

Sorry, no. There is always a better word than misdiagnosing a serious medical condition, especially if you're intending that label as an insult.

You are absolutely right and I apologize for using the term.
    I forgive you, and I appreciate you editing your post. :)

The waiting isn't fun, I know, but we really are getting down to the last few issues; the only unfortunate thing is that those last few issues are significant enough that we can't ignore them. As soon as we're ready for beta testing there will be a lot of information to peruse with regard to everything that's been done. I know that Beta isn't the finish line, but it's the next milestone.
    edited October 2014
    @Dee: And that, right there, is exactly where Beamdog is going wrong.

BG:EE's 1.3 beta lasted six months. BG2:EE has been in its current state for almost a year. The smart thing, at this point, would be to release the beta as an actual patch - yes, of course some issues may persist, but the game would still be more stable and playable overall than it currently is. After that, sure, have a beta, tinker as much as you want, and release the end result as a third patch. But withholding basic support for eighteen months at minimum? Have you all lost your minds?
    Post edited by shawne on
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    If it help anyone @Dee said yesterday that they have around 20 and today :
    Dee said:

There are seventeen open issues; the issues that remain are ones that need to be fixed, and they're worth fixing right.

So it a progress, a little one but progress none the less :) keep going guys we all be glad to get our hands on the beta and the final patch when that will be release :)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    it's absolutely not given that a current beta released as an actual patch is in fact more stable than the previous stable version.
    while trying to fix things, you usually break others (or find other things relating that need to be fixed too). In the interim, things can be much much worse than before that fix ...

So it's not as easy (and by far "smart") to release a beta as a patch. Next thing would be people complaining bad patch quality, introducing new bugs instead of reducing their number.
    Also, a beta has not got extensive testing before release, so how can a publisher guarantee there are no hidden surprises in the new version he did not even know about yet? it would be plain unprofessional to act that way.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    bengoshi said:

the 1.3 version of BGEE as the most bug-free version of BG1 there have ever been.

I just want to point out that the above statement is false.

Unless bugs like wrong icons on the ground or the fact that Phandalyn isn't actually a Paladin are considered more important than broken quests or worse :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Sure, a patch should be properly tested before release, especially if it's big. However, that is absolutely no excuse for having BG2:EE in its current state for almost a year, possibly going well over a year considering the patch's current pre-public-beta state.

Since the last BG2 patch 10 months ago, Beamdog worked on other projects. They released BG:EE 1.3, which is nice, but was not needed like the BG2 patch is. They also released BG:EE for Android, putting out a new product while the one your customers had already bought remains full of bugs, and that's the free market equivalent of flipping off said customers. And the worst offense: they have developed, and are going to release before the BG2 patch, a new EE game.

And don't tell me the people who worked on modernizing and testing IWD couldn't have worked on the BG2 patch instead, because I'm fairly sure those tasks require a very similar skill set. This is bad market behavior, and it shows that as a developer Beamdog cares less for providing proper support for their products than they should.

And then I realized that my IWD:EE preorder badge shows the inconsistency between what I'm spouting above and what I do. Yeah... I have an impulse shopping problem, alright?
  • Exar661Exar661 Member Posts: 6
    I found a bug in, it is present in both PC and Android version (don´t know about iOS), where can I report it?.

Thank you
  • Exar661Exar661 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you Dee
  • blatantninjablatantninja Member Posts: 29
    Dee said:

The work we are doing right now is preparing for beta. There are seventeen open issues; the issues that remain are ones that need to be fixed, and they're worth fixing right.

Do those issues include fixing the issue with Intel GPUs that was introduced in whatever changed for the BGEE 1.3 patch?

Dee said:

Do those issues include fixing the issue with Intel GPUs that was introduced in whatever changed for the BGEE 1.3 patch?

I'm unaware of something like that. Are you talking about the issue with your Surface Pro?
    Yes.
    It's likely that the same issue will persist, although from what you said before it sounded like the fix was to not do the workaround you had to use prior to the patch; but if it's something you'd like to see looked at more seriously, I recommend posting a bug report in the Bugs section.
    Will do, thanks. I got it so that it occasionally will open correctly, but its a pain and doesn't work every time.
    bengoshi said:

So no wonder they haven't changed their strategy. If it works, why do they need to change it?

Because trust matters, and paying lip service to how much the situation sucks does not, in any way, make it suck any less.
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited October 2014
    Ill save this for when i have time to edit it... its a rant right now... but on a side not: beamdog is not the demon spawn that is EA... and this sure as hell isnt battle field 4... have some perspective...
  • kurbelkastenkurbelkasten Member Posts: 1
    where is the patch ???
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Did you know that the autocorrect on the Nexus 7 constantly changes "Heya" into "Beta"?

Beta!

Beta!

Beta!

What about now?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @Dee Are you guys still planning to do the "Road to BG2:EE v1.3" public beta thingy? And if so, how many bugs left until that can be started up?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

where is the patch ???

Not on your computer?
  • DonPepinoDonPepino Member Posts: 2
    How about providing the freaking links in the OP, for crying out loud?
    DonPepino said:

How about providing the freaking links in the OP, for crying out loud?

What links are you referring to?

The patch is downloaded through the game's launcher, the Beamdog client, or Steam, depending on how you installed it. It's treated as an update to the game; there's no external patch file that you need to download manually.
This discussion has been closed.