Skip to content

'Story mode'?

egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
Announcement says: "A new "Story Mode" difficulty setting to allow players to experience all of the story with none of the Game Over screens"

Could someone please explain this feature for those intellectually challenged? I really can't get it.

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Most likely it's just a really easy difficulty setting. So easy you're not likely to die at all if you bring a full party. ME3 has a similarily named difficulty available I believe. It could also just be really easy compared to regular ID which is actually quite hard, at least compared to BG.
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2014
    So, a very easy mode? Ok. But no 'game over' means most likely, an immortal mode... Dubious form of entertainment if you ask me :))
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Hmm... Not sure what I think about that. It's nice to have the option, but I was hoping it was a "Super Easy Mode." Oh well. The easiest difficulty will still be fine.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Elrandir said:

Hmm... Not sure what I think about that. It's nice to have the option, but I was hoping it was a "Super Easy Mode." Oh well. The easiest difficulty will still be fine.

More options is always a good thing. This one isn't something I'll use myself, but I can actually think of a couple of applications for it: it can be used to bypass a bugged situation/fight or it can be used as a "cheat" for tablet versions of the game which I don't think have access to the console and thus cheats.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Jalily said:

Your characters are invulnerable in Story Mode.

In other words, a powergamer's paradise.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Jalily said:

In that case you can count me out of this mode, I like a little challenge when I play :)
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Just like NWN2, you are only game over if every one dies. Else you will revive like trolls Without fire or acid.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    This might come in handy for multiplayer.
    I know that all those reloads where more than jarring in BG multiplayer.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Very good to know.
    Still feels like cheating, though ... but I guess many keyboards, mouses and tablets will be saved from their untimely demise through this ;)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    better that escape available than having a too easy game ...
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Seems an odd option. The hack-n-slash IWD storyline doesn't exactly blow my mind.

Now, if it had been story mode for PST:EE, I could have understood it.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Why would anybody play IWD for the story alone? It isn't exactly Planescape or Fallout New Vegas...

I don't really mind the feature, I'm all for options, but back in my day we used cheats for that purpose. Ctrl-Y and all that. What has gaming come to...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014

Why would anybody play IWD for the story alone? It isn't exactly Planescape or Fallout New Vegas...

I don't really mind the feature, I'm all for options, but back in my day we used cheats for that purpose. Ctrl-Y and all that. What has gaming come to...

I don't think you can do ctrl y on an ipad or android :)

Edit: Having looked into it a bit more you may be able to, but to be honest adding a story mode is just an easier way to make the game accessible for a casual tablet player.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I like story mode, it has its uses even for an experienced player imo.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Calmar said:

No, it's high fantasy. ;)

Don't confuse non-linearity with no-story (if you do so). The game is linear, like a book, and it has a clear plot and an end, and offers you no choices, like a book. To me, IWD is most immersive, because it's story has none of the weakness that games with many different paths and ends seem to have.
    Very well put!
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Hey, I freely admit to despite liking challenge, but still using that super easy/story mode difficulty in ME3 in later runs (yeah, I beat it on the highest difficulty, and... didn't really find it fun) when I'm just running through to see a different romance/kill off someone in new horrible ways.

I'm not sure I'll like total invulnerability, but... well, it could be useful. And I could let my niece play with it: she's a sweet kid, but if she dies in games, she gets all frustrated and often cries.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    thanks for asking this, @egalor_original, had just read this myself on the site and was wondering what this mode would entail! Don't feel quite so intellectually challenged all on my own now! ;-)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014

Jalily said:

Awww, shucks. I was really hoping it would be that when one of your adventurers dies, Biff the Understudy would come in and take his place
    What would happen if two of your characters died? What about 3? I don't think the realms could handle that many biffs :D
This discussion has been closed.