Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

'Story mode'?

1235»

Comments

  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,047
    Archaos said:

    @bob_veng‌
    Your low opinion of classics or games is not shared by a ton of people either.

    "Respect classic rock-bands/music? Lol, they're just people playing notes for fun."

    yeah something like taht. the fact that pop-culture products attract a wide audience doesn't make them intrinsically more valuable.

  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,410
    @bob_veng‌
    And that's why they're not as respected as artists or music. Now you know.

  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,047
    Your fear that the game will become somehow soiled and disrespected by some new feature that can be turned on/off makes you look like a looney fundamentalist. Just use the previous version.

    jackjackVarwulf
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 1,652
    Archaos said:

    Do you believe Baldur's Gate would be considered a classic if there was an option to turn God-Mode on so easily back when it was released?

    Why exactly wouldn't it be? If the inclusion of a Very Easy difficulty option didn't stop it from becoming a "classic", then why would this?

    elminsterHeindrichVarwulf
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Heindrich said:

    I think you guys make the mistake of assuming that your views are somehow representative of the mainstream and/or majority.

    @Heindrich, I disagree with almost everything in your post, but I especially disagree with the quote above. I don't think that my opinion is representative of the majority, it is just my opinion. Besides, at least in this board, it seems to represents only a minority of the people.

  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited October 2014

    The kids will *love* Story Mode.

    Somehow, I doubt it :)
    Archaos said:

    In short, I doubt people will go: "Wow this is so much fun! I cannot die in this party-based, tactical DnD game! It's so much fun having no challenge at all!"

    Archaos
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Erg said:


    @Heindrich, I disagree with almost everything in your post, but I especially disagree with the quote above. I don't think that my opinion is representative of the majority, it is just my opinion. Besides, at least in this board, it seems to represents only a minority of the people.

    @Erg‌
    Right... well if you recognise that, then surely you must accept that it would be unreasonable for your minority opinion to somehow override the majority and remove a feature already announced for the release of the game. If you do not then you are essentially saying that my opinion is more important than everyone elses'

    Yes you have a right to express a minority opinion, and you have done that, but you cannot seriously expect to either change a decision that's obviously already been made, or somehow argue your point until more people are also upset with a decision that they can choose to totally ignore.

    Gate70
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,410
    edited October 2014
    Well, we can wait and see if it backfires and what other people, outside of this forum, have to say.

    I will say it again, the challenge is a big part of the game.
    Putting a "No-Lose" (instead of an "Insta-win") button in a game is a decision other companies or games haven't done for a reason in any platform.

    Because not losing in a game, no matter how hard or easy or casual it is, is a bad design decision even if it's optional.

    No, console commands don't count, those are debug tools.

    Erg
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,514
    Archaos said:

    DreadKhan said:

    And how he hell do you guus know how Story Mode will be implemented precisely??

    Because this.
    Jalily said:

    Your characters are invulnerable in Story Mode.

    Also:
    DreadKhan said:

    Appreciating the art, music and STORY are all worthy challenges, even if your characters do the troll thing.

    These are not challenges. Nothing is challenging you and you need to emerge victorious. It's just that, appreciating the art, music and story.
    And what EXACTLY does invulnerability mean? Oh, based on some previous whines in this thread, it means you can beat enemies more easily. Which is obviously a stupid position ultimately. Trolls are invulnerable to everything but fire and acid, but beating the game as a solo troll would not be easy really, even if the challenge is mostly gone.

    Reality is, you don't even know how this invulnerabilty is ultimately going to work, so stop whining. Many people have stated ON THIS FORUM that its a cool/good/interesting idea. Thus the argument that no such people exist is borderline moronic.

    Wait, is appreciating art for you literally nothing but observing??? You havr GOT to be kidding me. There are PhD programs devoted to critical theory, ie fully appreciating the arts. I'll let them know @Archaos‌ said they are wasting their time, brb

  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,327
    @archos and @Erg‌ If you are both right and the people outside of the forum won't like it then maybe they will change it who knows but we can't know it till the game actually be release, so what the point with all this argument ??
    Ok we said / heard our opinion that are numerously lets just wait and see what will happen next.

    jackjack
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Heindrich said:

    Right... well if you recognise that, then surely you must accept that it would be unreasonable for your minority opinion to somehow override the majority and remove a feature already announced for the release of the game. If you do not then you are essentially saying that my opinion is more important than everyone elses'

    Yes you have a right to express a minority opinion, and you have done that, but you cannot seriously expect to either change a decision that's obviously already been made, or somehow argue your point until more people are also upset with a decision that they can choose to totally ignore.

    I don't think ideas should be evaluated only according to how popular they are, otherwise we would all have to agree that watching a reality show is a better idea than playing IWD :)

    I'm not expecting the devs will change anything based on my feedback, but this idea is IMO so bad that I can't help but voice my disagreement.

  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,514

    Heindrich said:


    Try to think of it this way. The powergamers will still get a challenge out of the most difficult settings. The semi-casuals (like me) will still enjoy a balanced roleplaying/tactical style of play in Normal/Medium difficulty modes. The super-casuals who would have given up after the first few party wipes and/or simply not tried the game might be drawn into IWD:EE via the Storymode, and perhaps become motivated enough to learn the mechanics to make subsequent playthroughs of IE games without the Storymode. i.e. nobody loses anything and the game becomes more accessible for some.

    My wife plays her games on core/normal settings, giving her just enough challenge without making things too difficult. I play on the most difficult settings because it appears that I like to punish myself from time to time. The kids play on easiest settings--they just want to have a little fun on the computer after finishing their homework and aren't interested in powergaming or micromanaging combat. The kids will *love* Story Mode.

    Nope, apparently your kids will hate Story Mode. I read something some guy who had never even seen storymode wrote that said so, then he said his literally groundless opinions were factual and objective, so it must be true. I'll let you explain it to your kids, why they actually hate the option.

    jackjack
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,410
    edited October 2014
    DreadKhan said:



    And what EXACTLY does invulnerability mean? Oh, based on some previous whines in this thread, it means you can beat enemies more easily. Which is obviously a stupid position ultimately. Trolls are invulnerable to everything but fire and acid, but beating the game as a solo troll would not be easy really, even if the challenge is mostly gone.

    Reality is, you don't even know how this invulnerabilty is ultimately going to work, so stop whining. Many people have stated ON THIS FORUM that its a cool/good/interesting idea. Thus the argument that no such people exist is borderline moronic.

    Wait, is appreciating art for you literally nothing but observing??? You havr GOT to be kidding me. There are PhD programs devoted to critical theory, ie fully appreciating the arts. I'll let them know @Archaos‌ said they are wasting their time, brb

    1) "Full Definition of INVULNERABLE
    : incapable of being wounded, injured, or harmed "

    God-Mode. No damage taken, invincibility, cannot be injured, immunity to damage.

    2) No dev/mod said that invulnerability is not invincibility. So there you go. They didn't step in to correct us.

    3) That was completely off-topic and very stretched. We are talking about the challenge in the difficulty of a game if it wasn't obvious enough for you.

    Erg
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,327
    @Jalily‌ Can you explain to us the meaning of the mod please is invulnerability mean the characters are invincible and can't get hurt at all or just can't die?

  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

    True, the possibility exists that they won't like it but I will wager a pint of beer that I know my kids better than you do. (these are the kids who learned how to access/use the console for NWN and NWN2 and routinely use both that and the toolset to give themselves the best equipment and feats when starting over with a 1st-level character for the millionth time)

    @Mathsorcerer, from your description they look like smart kids. Smart kids IMO don't need a "Story Mode" to enjoy the game. It is more likely that the lack of challenge will bore them senseless :)

  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 2,410
    kaguana said:

    @Mathsorcerer‌ How old are your kids ?

    They are old enough that they don't need to be micromanaged all the time but not old enough for quasi-independence. Technically, no, I didn't answer your question but that is, regrettably, the only answer I will offer.
    Erg said:


    @Mathsorcerer, from your description they look like smart kids. Smart kids IMO don't need a "Story Mode" to enjoy the game. It is more likely that the lack of challenge will bore them senseless :)

    Oh, they'll love it at first but at some point I will advise them to turn it off and play on at least core. Our son will probably move away from it first, especially once he starts playing around with the tools for IWDEE that I have. I will have more difficulty getting him to quit naming his monk characters things like "punchy" or "kicky"...but I have to admit those are hilarious names.

    NimranelminsterElrandirrufus_hobart
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited October 2014
    Ok guys, a quick reminder to all parties in this debate that no matter which side you are on, personal attacks are not tolerated on this forum.

    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap

    I personally feel that @Erg‌ and @Archaos‌ have expressed their views, and others including myself have expressed counter-opinions, and I wonder if anything constructive can come out of further circular arguments.

    I won't close the thread unless things get out of hand and/or if the OP requests it, (Poor OP just had a simple question and it initiated a massive debate lol) but obviously the mods are watching.

    Edit: lol double ninja'd...

    Metalloman
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,514
    Archaos said:

    DreadKhan said:



    And what EXACTLY does invulnerability mean? Oh, based on some previous whines in this thread, it means you can beat enemies more easily. Which is obviously a stupid position ultimately. Trolls are invulnerable to everything but fire and acid, but beating the game as a solo troll would not be easy really, even if the challenge is mostly gone.

    Reality is, you don't even know how this invulnerabilty is ultimately going to work, so stop whining. Many people have stated ON THIS FORUM that its a cool/good/interesting idea. Thus the argument that no such people exist is borderline moronic.

    Wait, is appreciating art for you literally nothing but observing??? You havr GOT to be kidding me. There are PhD programs devoted to critical theory, ie fully appreciating the arts. I'll let them know @Archaos‌ said they are wasting their time, brb

    1) "Full Definition of INVULNERABLE
    : incapable of being wounded, injured, or harmed "

    God-Mode. No damage taken, invincibility, cannot be damaged, immunity to damage.

    2) No dev/mod said that invulnerability is not invincibility. So there you go. They didn't step in to correct us.

    3) That was completely off-topic and stretched. We are talking about the challenge in the difficulty of a game.
    1) Considering IE games have specifically refered to generic trolls as being INVULNERABLE to everything but fire and acid, you are missing the point. Invulnerability can come in many forms.

    2) So what? They have no reason to. Tons of spitballing on this forum never gets acknowledged or commemted on by the devs.

    3) Actually, no, we are ALL arguing about enjoyment of the game. There isn't a right way to do so, nor any wrong ways. You don't get to tell people how to play the game. If you EVER have used a cheat or exploit in any game ever, you have ultimately disproven your own position. I am pretty confident you have, and like most gamers, have found cheats/eploits can sometimes ruin a game, but other times can make it more interesting.

    kaguanajackjack
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,327

    kaguana said:

    @Mathsorcerer‌ How old are your kids ?

    They are old enough that they don't need to be micromanaged all the time but not old enough for quasi-independence. Technically, no, I didn't answer your question but that is, regrettably, the only answer I will offer.
    Thank for your answer I understand more or less what ages those are :)

    Mathsorcerer
1235»
This discussion has been closed.