Skip to content

[MOD] Improved Archer Kit (for BGEE, BG2EE, IWD:EE and original BG2/BGT)

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @argent77
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    edited August 2016

New beta release: Improved Archer Kit v2.2-beta2 (outdated)

I forgot to add the custom portrait icon resources in the previous beta. This release contains unique portrait icons for each individual shot ability. They are only available for EE games patched to v2.0 or higher.
    (Btw, game patches v2.1 and older display custom status icons incorrectly on the record screen. This is a game bug which has been fixed already in patch v2.2.)
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    edited July 2016
    Installation of the 2.2-beta2 version on a unmodded BG2EE (MacOS, patch 2.3) failed with

ERROR: problem parsing TP file [a7#improvedarcher/setup-a7#improvedarcher.tp2]: Failure("No rule to identify SOD")

FATAL ERROR: Failure("No rule to identify SOD")

Contents of the debug file:

WeiDU v 23900 Log

weidu --log setup-a7#improvedarcher.debug a7#improvedarcher/setup-a7#improvedarcher.tp2
    [./chitin.key] loaded, 875812 bytes
    [./chitin.key] 187 BIFFs, 62160 resources
    [./lang/de_de/dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/de_de/dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/de_de/dialogf.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/de_de/dialogf.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/es_es/dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/es_es/dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/es_es/dialogf.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/es_es/dialogf.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/it_it/dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/it_it/dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    [./lang/it_it/dialogf.tlk] claims to be writeable.
    [./lang/it_it/dialogf.tlk] claims to be a regular file.
    WARNING: parsing log [WeiDU.log]: Sys_error("WeiDU.log: No such file or directory")

Choose your language:
    0 [English]
    1 [German]
    2 [Italian (Translation by Aedan)]
    3 [Russian (Translation by Saigon1983)]
    Using Language [English]
    [English] has 2 top-level TRA files
    [A7#ImprovedArcher/languages/english/setup.tra] has 4 translation strings
    [A7#ImprovedArcher/languages/english/kit.tra] has 42 translation strings

Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game.
    If you later wish to play the game in a different language you will need to edit the file weidu.conf and reinstall your mods.
    0 [German]
    1 [English]
    2 [Spanish]
    3 [Italian]
    [./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk] loaded, 11622812 bytes
    [./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk] 103214 string entries

Using ./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD1/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD2/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD3/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD4/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD5/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD6/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/AREAS.BIF]
    [./DATA/AREAS.BIF] 2545324 bytes, 318 files, 0 tilesets
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD1/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD2/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD3/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD4/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD5/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD6/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/25AREAS.BIF]
    [./DATA/25AREAS.BIF] 659152 bytes, 85 files, 0 tilesets
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD1/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD2/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD3/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD4/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD5/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./CD6/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./lang/en_us/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [./cache/DATA/NEERA.BIF]
    [./DATA/NEERA.BIF] 58561140 bytes, 1833 files, 11 tilesets
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [a7#improvedarcher/setup-a7#improvedarcher.tp2]: Failure("No rule to identify SOD")

FATAL ERROR: Failure("No rule to identify SOD")

WeiDU Timings
    load TLK 0.000
    adding translation strings 0.000
    parsing .tra files 0.000
    eval_pe 0.000
    unmarshal BIFF 0.002
    Parsing TP2 files 0.009
    loading files 0.014
    stuff not covered elsewhere 0.017
    unmarshal KEY 0.025
    unmarshal TLK 0.032
    TOTAL 0.100

@StefanO I have bundled the beta release of the mod with a beta version of WeiDU (which was probably a bad idea). The easiest solution is by using the latest WeiDU beta to install the mod (it shouldn't have any negative side effects on BG2EE). The second option would be to remove the "sod" keyword from the GAME_IS checks in setup-A7#ImprovedArcher.tp2, lib/bows.tph, lib/kit.tph and lib/missiles.tph.
    edited July 2016
    I have WeiDu und weinstall installed to /usr/local/bin and use "weinstall " to install any mod. After switching to the weidu you provided with setup-A7#ImprovedArcher everything installs correctly. Thank you for your help, and for all your mods too.

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @argent77 here's Polish translation of .tra's and Readme.
    One thing - I don't know why, but I can't encode kit.tra in ANSI. Tried everything, but Notepad++ won't cooperate...
    Thanks a lot! And added.

New stable version: Improved Archer Kit v2.2

Changes in v2.2 (compared to v2.1):
    • Added Siege of Dragonspear support
    • Added EET support
    • Improved compatibility with Enhanced Edition patch 2.x
    • Added Italian translation (thanks @Aedan )
    • Added Polish translation (thanks @Cahir )
    • Added custom portrait icons for shot abilities
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Thanks for the release @argent77 :smile:
    If I install both the Kivan (an archer) NPC mod and the improved archer kit Kivan keeps his called shot ability.

He should get the improved archers abilities instead of the called shot ability.

This issue has to be fixed on Kivan mod's side. Special abilities are added by the game when a character joins the party and removed when the character leaves the party. Kivan already has a single Called Shot ability before he joins the party. Since the Improved Archer Kit doesn't know about Called Shot it is left untouched when Kivan joins or leaves the party.

You can fix it manually by executing the following code in the debug console while the mouse cursor is placed over Kivan:
    C:Eval('RemoveSpell(ARCHER_CALL_SHOT)')
  • SugmarSugmar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for modification! But why:
    - the shooter does arrows, but doesn't strengthen as the magic shooter from NW
    - perhaps it is worth trying to combine with the thief - installation of full-fledged traps
    - the magic allows to apply control on opponents - whether there is a sense in control from cartridges?
    - It is very difficult to combine with other classes

Whether it is possible to make a similar class, but as a basis - the thief. Style of play: investigation, installation of traps, application of potions and special abilities for control.
    The headhunter, but with the emphasis on firing, investigation. In exchange for loss of a bonus of blows from a shadow, poison bonuses on hand-to-hand weapon.

or to try to create the magic shooter: combines possibilities of the thief + the wizard + the ranger.
    Thief:
    -standard abilities of the thief.
    - Expanded options of traps.
    - There is no loss bonus from a shadow.

Wizard:
    - creation/strengthening of arrows/bolts +1/+2/+3/+4.
    - An opportunity to shoot arrows with spells (deduction / a fiery sphere)

Ranger:
    - additional style of fight - two-handled weapon (a spear / a two-handled sword / fight with one sword),
    - spells the priestess for healing (lungs)

CONS: - without heavy armor.
    - there are no stabs in the back from a shadow.
    - a spetsilization on shooting weapon + the two-handled favourites.
    - I have reserved health on level 6/level.
    - The activated abilities: like aim firing, during action deprive of movement.
    This mod only improves the existing Archer kit of the game, so it is fixed to use Ranger as base class. I don't intend to change this. However, the current implementation includes characteristics that are not really suitable for a ranger (e.g. enchanted arrows vs. undead). There are some nice suggestions in this topic which I might include in one way or another when I find the time to work on this mod again.

I don't plan to add new kits though. That's probably more suitable for mods like Faiths and Powers.
  • SugmarSugmar Member Posts: 2
    It is a pity that this class can't serve as a platform for creation of a double class in a sheaf. There is no opportunity to create this class how option war?

New stable version: Improved Archer Kit v2.3

Changes in v2.3:
    • Added French translation (Thanks Gwendolyne)
    • Fixed THAC0 bonus of bow 'The Defender +5'
    • Excluded shamans from unusability list of arrows
    • Added 'Monk' to unusability list of bows
    • Fixed incorrect record screen class description in EET

New version: Improved Archer Kit v2.4

Changes in v2.4:
    • Fixed a bug that may cause installation errors in BG2:EE
  • marc5477marc5477 Member Posts: 19
    Gave this a try yesterday for about 4 hours on insane and wow... he is so overpowered its not even funny. I am not sure if its your mod or just the archer in general (I have BWS installed), but between thaco stacking (elf + archer + specialization), damage bonuses (archer), long range, and special shots (your mod) the class is basically god mode in BG1. The boss in Nashkel mines couldnt cast any spells except when he ported around. I peeled away his mirror and defnese so fast it made Minsc blush...

Anyway, just wanted to report a bug. Using BWS and EET, the CON penalty did not apply.

I am no expert and havent really played this very long but I would say it needs to be toned down... Maybe +1 thaco/damage every 5 levels starting at 5 instead of 1? I think this is how it was in NWN2 as well. I also think that mages need to get a chance to cast a single spell lol... too many attacks that all hit is ridiculous. Then again, nothing is cheesier than dual wield in this game...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @marc5477 The bonus from Hit and Damage are the same than those provided by the regular Archer.

And yes, Archers are gods on BGEE and IWDEE.

I think that this kit is very well balanced - in fact, it is a little weaker than the original Archer as it is not capable of stat-drain kills ( @semiticgod did a full no-reload solo LoB trilogy run using basically those kinds of kills) or reduce a target's saving vs. spells (one of the disablers I used with my Enchanter run to Hold the final boss of SoD).

Regular Archers in IWDEE using Haste and Messenger of Sseth are a beast. This kit is very (wisely) toned down IMHO.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The original Archer indeed had great potential, as the original Called Shot, which lasted for 12 seconds, imposed stacking penalties on every ranged hit based on the Archer's level:

Level 4:
    -1 THAC0 for 20 seconds
    Level 8:
    -1 save vs. spell for 15 seconds
    Level 12:
    -1 Strength for 10 seconds
    Level 16:
    2 piercing damage

Called Shot had some narrow but very powerful uses. The THAC0 penalties were excellent for temporarily holding off powerful melee-oriented critters, the save penalties could guarantee a failed saving throw against any spell that involves a save vs. spell (notably including Feeblemind) and also worked brilliantly in tandem with Darts of Stunning, and the STR drain could land unusually fast kills on certain critters depending on their base STR. Plus, you could combine Ray of Enfeeblement with Called Shot for a guaranteed kill on almost anything.

My no-reload run was based entirely on the ability of Called Shot to bring down enemies who would otherwise be nearly impossible to take down in Legacy of Bhaal mode due to the increased HP values--specifically, Ascension Melissan. The Scorcher Ammunition strikes twice, applying all penalties from Called Shot twice, ultimately allowing us to kill Melissan in a matter of seconds despite her 1,580 HP. Theoretically, we could have amplified Called Shot using a Wand of Lightning since my Charname dual-classed from an Archer to mage (the Archer was a fighter kit clone of the vanilla ranger kit), but I didn't want to abuse it. A single-classed Archer without mage levels could have completed the run with only slightly higher difficulty overall.

This kit is modestly stronger than the vanilla kit in BG1. As for BG2, it's going to be slightly better for normal gameplay, but it has less potential because it doesn't have those ridiculous STR drain kills or stacking save penalties.

The improvement to longbows is a welcome touch, because longbows have long been the weakest option for Archers in BG2 despite being by far the strongest option in BG1 and SoD.
    As a suggestion, @argent77 , this kit could add more shortbows to IWDEE and BGEE.
    marc5477 said:

Gave this a try yesterday for about 4 hours on insane and wow... he is so overpowered its not even funny. I am not sure if its your mod or just the archer in general (I have BWS installed), but between thaco stacking (elf + archer + specialization), damage bonuses (archer), long range, and special shots (your mod) the class is basically god mode in BG1. The boss in Nashkel mines couldnt cast any spells except when he ported around. I peeled away his mirror and defnese so fast it made Minsc blush...

Anyway, just wanted to report a bug. Using BWS and EET, the CON penalty did not apply.

I am no expert and havent really played this very long but I would say it needs to be toned down... Maybe +1 thaco/damage every 5 levels starting at 5 instead of 1? I think this is how it was in NWN2 as well. I also think that mages need to get a chance to cast a single spell lol... too many attacks that all hit is ridiculous. Then again, nothing is cheesier than dual wield in this game...

As already mentioned, the mod doesn't change hit and damage progression. This is part of the original Archer kit (which is indeed quite overpowered in BG1). The mod adds some special abilities (Rooting Shot, etc.) which can also make a big difference, especially in BG1.

I may take your suggestions about hit and damage progression into consideration, if I can find some bonus to counteract the nerf somewhat. In BG2, especially ToB, the archer becomes less impressive compared to other kits. I may also replace the "Create Blessed Ammo" abilitity by a skill that is more fitting for a ranger.

I can't reproduce the missing CON penalty in a clean EET game. It should be present at character generation that restricts the character to a lower CON range (e.g. elves will be limited to 13..16 CON instead of 14..17 CON).

Raduziel said:

As a suggestion, @argent77 , this kit could add more shortbows to IWDEE and BGEE.

I'll see what I can do.
    argent77 said:

I may take your suggestions about hit and damage progression into consideration, if I can find some bonus to counteract the nerf somewhat. In BG2, especially ToB, the archer becomes less impressive compared to other kits.

How does this change sound:
    - +1 to hit and damage rolls with any missile weapon every 5 levels.
    - additional +5% bonus to cause critical hits with any missile weapon at level 9 and level 13
    edited March 2018
    argent77 said:

argent77 said:

I may take your suggestions about hit and damage progression into consideration, if I can find some bonus to counteract the nerf somewhat. In BG2, especially ToB, the archer becomes less impressive compared to other kits.

How does this change sound:
    - +1 to hit and damage rolls with any missile weapon every 5 levels.
    - additional +5% bonus to cause critical hits with any missile weapon at level 9 and level 13
    Personally, I don't like it. I wouldn't change a thing about the Hit/Damage mechanics. The kit has a power curve that begins high and goes down as you advance in the trilogy. Not a big deal.

At the end of SoD you get +4 Hit, +4 Dmg (lv 1, 3, 6, 9). In the new system, it would be +2 Hit, +2 Dmg (lv 1, 5).

At the end of BG2 you get +6 Hit, +6 Dmg (lv 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15). In the new system, it would be +4 Hit, +4 Dmg (lv 1, 5, 10, 15).

At the end of ToB you get +12 Hit, +12 Dmg. In the new system, it would be +7 Hit, +7 Dmg.

It is a big change in the power curve - a change very different from the way the enemies' power curve behave. And the kit will start really providing bonus when those bonuses aren't needed.
    argent77 said:

I may also replace the "Create Blessed Ammo" abilitity by a skill that is more fitting for a ranger.

As a suggestion:

Impact Ammo: specially made to strike constructs. Bludgeoning damage and strikes as +5 without bonuses for Thac0 or Dmg. You can even impose a penalty for using those arrows, that gets smaller as the Archer advanced in level. A blunt arrow doesn't pierce very well and its aerodynamics should be terrible.

And don't replace the blessed ammo, add the impact ammo.
    Yeah, damage and thac0 progression would be slower. Thac0 bonus doesn't really matter, as you'll likely max it out during late SoA or ToB anyway. However, damage progression is still very important for an archer in ToB. Critical hits at a 18 and 19 in addition to a rolled 20 would be nice though. Even in ToB most enemies don't wear helmets, that could prevent the additional damage.

I think blessed ammo that harms or destroys undead would be more suitable for clerics. Archers, or rangers in general, are more atuned to nature. A skill that deals with unnatural creatures in general would make more sense. Or maybe create ammo with a wide range of natural effects (using ingredients that induce status effects, such as sleep, poison or confusion). Your "Impact Ammo" suggestion would be in line with such a skill.
    edited March 2018
    The problem is that this kit will become weak in BG1 and overpowered in ToB. You would only be trading one problem for another.

---

When I think "unnatural creatures" three things come to my mind:

Undead, constructs, extraplanar.

I really don't see the blessed ammo as out of tune for a ranger, but it is your baby. I'm just brainstorming.

---

If I were redesigning the Archer here is what I would do:

Keep the Thac0/Dmg progression as it is.

HLA: Hail of Arrows (like yours: 10 APR with missile weapons), Deadly Shot (Crit on 15+ for 3 Rounds). Those can't be used combined with each other, Haste, Improved Haste, WW, or GWW.

Replace Called Shot to behave like the shots from The Complete Fighter Handbook and The Complete Elven Handbook (basically it would only lower movement rate and Thac0).

Add an option to create 5 special-effect arrows once per day. A submenu would give the following options: sleeping, confusing, paralyzing, poisoning, impact, blessing and expunge (for extraplanar).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I'll keep current damage/hit progression for now. However, blessed ammo will probably be replaced with something more fitting. Nothing too fancy though, since it should work in classic BG2 as well. It may take a while though. I'm currently busy with several of my other mods.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

If anyone wants an underpowered version of the Archer kit, you could try mine here.

The killing feature of your version is the fact that you can use called shots "at will". This makes a lot of sense imho....
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    make moss arrow like in the thief game - you shoot an arrow to the floor and it creates a large area effect ('moss') that increases everyone's move silently in that area by a large amount
    bob_veng said:

make moss arrow like in the thief game - you shoot an arrow to the floor and it creates a large area effect ('moss') that increases everyone's move silently in that area by a large amount

I would love to, if the game allowed you to shoot at something else than people. I'll probably get some inspiration from the suggestions you made a few pages before.