Skip to content

Which characters are the funniest?

I like a good laugh. Which characters are the funniest in BG 1?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2014
    I would go with either Quayle or Tiax but Garrick is unintentionally funny. Most people will say Minsc but after about an hour he really starts to get on my nerves.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The funniest character in the game is the protagonist.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Jan Jansen. No alternatives, only turnips!
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Tiax, Quayle, Xzar, and Jan Jansen are probably the funniest to me.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    for me it doesn't get any funnier than Minsc and Jan in the same party. The two of them play off each other in the most hilarious ways.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I find Jan... tedious.

I can't put my finger on a static favorite - NPCs vary in entertainment depending on your choice of party. Even Cernd gets some great quips ("Er, are paladins even allowed to say ass?")

That said, something about Xan's comically serious nature (both in BG1 and the mod) never fails to crack me up.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Most characters get in a good line or two, I have a fondness for insanity so for BG1, I go for Xzar and Tiax. If you have the NPC project mod installed, I highly recommend taking Xzar and Edwin together. Two evil belligerent egotastic spellcasters bickering just does it for me.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Huh, never thought of Xzar as being egotistical really. Edwin of course is outrageously arrogant, but Xzar should be wise enough to realize arrogance in himself, but then again, Zhents are arrogant almost by default.

Xzar is a riot imo, as is Tiax.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    Have you seen Xzar in BG2?

"Hm. Mmm. I remember working with someone rather inept who resembled you. If Monty were here, he would certainly be able to remind me. No matter!"

"I may have been. It happens when you are forced to deal with buffoons. If Monty were here, he would be able to tell for certain. Bah! It matters not!"

I have no idea why he underwent such a dramatic personality shift between games. He must've put up a huge act for the entirety of BG1.
    Xan makes me want to kill myself. I've seriously never been able to keep him more than about 10 minutes. To me he is the most annoying of the NPCs by a country mile. But then that is entirely to taste.

"Hm. Mmm. I remember working with someone rather inept who resembled you. If Monty were here, he would certainly be able to remind me. No matter!"

"I may have been. It happens when you are forced to deal with buffoons. If Monty were here, he would be able to tell for certain. Bah! It matters not!"

I have no idea why he underwent such a dramatic personality shift between games. He must've put up a huge act for the entirety of BG1.

syphilis.

syphilis.
    Shouldn't he be busy writing a memoir about spinal failure caused by syphilis? And be wwaayy less famous than his son?

But yeah, thats not the Xzar I know and... well, not love, but kinda like having around for entertainment?
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Don't listen to the haters. Minsc is your man!
    DreadKhan said:

Shouldn't he be busy writing a memoir about spinal failure caused by syphilis? And be wwaayy less famous than his son?

But yeah, thats not the Xzar I know and... well, not love, but kinda like having around for entertainment?

You don't love Xzar! How dare you! You will soon be hearing the pitter patter of rabbit feet coming after you. And you know what that means.
    Wait, I know he's SEEN dragons with feet like rabbits, but HEARD?!

Also, do they... hope?
    Erm, hop.
    you better hope they don't hop! Tis a terrifying sight indeed to see the rarest of the great wyrms, the dreaded hopping dragon.
    they hope that they hop.
    or do they hope that they hip-hop? *thread derailment now complete*
    Do they turn into Hopping Dragon Vampires when they die?

At least they're blind...

*hides and holds breath as a precaution*
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Bondary, Jan, Minsc, Edwin, xzar, Tiax, mellisan. In that order.
    *passes out*

*falls out of hiding place, waking up*

Aaaahhh! They can find me now! Also, I have a headache.
    DreadKhan said:

*passes out*

*falls out of hiding place, waking up*

Aaaahhh! They can find me now! Also, I have a headache.

I have a remedy for that. Go and gather the red and purple Frostberries that grow near hot springs. Mash them into a paste and eat them with boiled tundra grasses. That will make your head stop hurting. Alternatively, hitting your head as hard as you can against the wall will make the pain go away....
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I know you said bg1 but noone can compete with korgan and jan
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    ...Noober.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

for me it doesn't get any funnier than Minsc and Jan in the same party. The two of them play off each other in the most hilarious ways.

Sorry people, you have wrong game. This is BG1, not BG2.

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    DreadKhan said:

Xzar is a riot imo, as is Tiax.

There's one comment by Jahiera that's priceless IMO, directly at Xvar:

"You're rather amusing, in a what the hell's wrong with you kind of way."

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Xzar, Montaron, Tiax. That's the Trio of Hilarity. Perhaps throw Baeloth and Edwin in there too.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I like the priest in Gullykin, cracks me up when I hear him.

"Eh, what's this then?! More intrepid FOOLS on their way to another BEATING?!?!"

lol so true
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Recently, there was this minor npc in Baldur's Gate 1 who really cracked me up.

In the north part of Baldur's Gate in chapter 5, a bit south a Ramazith's tower, there's this nobleman guy who walks up to talk to you, and his quote/voiceset thing is, "I have no interest in speaking to the likes of you. Hmph."

If you didn't want to speak to me, then why did you go up and speak to me?