Skip to content

What is Conan's class and stats (the Howard/Busiek et al. character)?

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
... and before you can say "Barbarian. Duh!", consider all this:

- He 'duals' into 'Thief' early in his career.
- Later gains 'prestige classes' as a... err... 'Champion' [leadership bonuses, though not healing spells, as well as some mystical immunities, which probably approximates a non-spell casting Paladin].
- He is not a typical 'good-guy' but his word is his bond (though he is not bound by laws of the land); he attempts to protect those that ask for it (especially 'damsels', but also those linked by a battle-bond)
- He is superbly intelligent in the tactics & tricks that he employs; also has the wisdom to discern his path
- He successfully battles Wizards
- His minds is impervious when in 'rage' (e.g. 'God in the Bowl' etc.)

I'd say, he should be:

Berserker 6 / Thief 5 / Pirate 4 [Skald-like thief kit] / 'Champion' 10 [imaginary paladin kit]
Neutral Good
18-75/16/18/14/14/17
(e.g. his dex is high, but not as high as, say Janissa)

with a scattering of special abilities corresponding mental save bonuses etc.

Anyone else wanna give a shot at this?
Post edited by Ygramul on

Comments

• VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014
    Based on the first film (Conan the Barbarian - 1982), he is a Fighter. I tend to ignore the "Barbarian" class, specially in AD&D 2nd Edition. Fighter is more than enough to represent a range of characters from a knight, to a barbarian or samurai. Kits are fine in Baldur's Gate, a CRPG, but in pen & paper even them are cheap. So, here is my Conan from his first motion picture.

Conan, the Cimmerian

Human
    Chaotic Neutral
    Fighter - Lv. 5

Strength - 18/90
    Dexterity - 15
    Constitution - 18
    Intelligence - 7
    Wisdom - 8
    Charisma - 14

I didn't liked Conan the Destroyer, so it's not considered here. And of course that the Conan from the comics should be very different, but this is based solely in the first Conan the Barbarian, from 1982. I don't consider him a Thief in class. His profession once was of a thief, but this doesn't means much. Subotai, sure, was a Thief, and Valeria was a Thief/Fighter. But Conan? Pure Fighter for sure.
    Post edited by Vitor on
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited October 2014
    @Vitor‌: uhm... Personally I don't agree with your opinion, I'm not saying this because I want to discuss with you, everyone can express their own opinion, so no problem. :)

Anyway, have you read Conan Books by Howard? I think that to base the description of that character solely by the movies is really limiting: in Howard's books (the origin of Conan as a character) you'll see Conan acting like a thief and a marauder many times, also he has many of the features the Barbarian D&D class has.

Yes, Barbarian is a Fighter kit, but if you analyze Conan in deep you'll see that even if he masters many martial arts and he had a military training, he mainly fights in a wild and brutal way, he is feral and bestial in combat he doesn't follow any peculiar discipline other than his own instinct, he rages and fights more than often with light armor or no armor at all. The few times he wears an armor he generally take it off because he doesn't feel completely free and he prefers to fight without shells that might limit him, relying only on his own strength, instinct and ability as a combatant. :)

(mind that I'm not criticizing you, you're free to consider Conan as a pure Fighter, mine is a calm confrontation with you :D)

EDIT: typo
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited October 2014
    I don't know how many of you know this, but there was at least one "official" Conan module produced for AD&D (1st edition) by TSR. I can't remember all the stats they game him, but I'm pretty sure he was something like Thief 6 / Fighter 11 (Barbarian class didn't exist at the time). I think his strength was given as 18/97 or something of the sort. I think they gave him Neutral alignment.
    Yeah, that was it. I used to own it. It's probably still rotting in my parent's attic.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited October 2014

Anyway, have you read Conan Books by Howard? I think that to base the description of that character solely by the movies is really limiting: in Howard's books (the origin of Conan as a character) you'll see Conan acting like a thief and a marauder many times, also he has many of the features the Barbarian D&D class has.

Well, as I said, I'm basing solely in the first film (wich I adore, by the way). I haven't read books or comic books of Conan. Well... I guess the character might be very different than the character you're analyzing. I can't see the Schwarzenegger's Conan with 18 of Inteligence, lol.

But, well... Feel free to criticize as you will. A forum is for this, isn't it? Discussions :)
    edited October 2014
    I can recommend the books (short story collections really). They are as much better than the first film as that film is better than the reboot.

Both the films saw fit to give Conan an obligatory tragic background. In the books he left his home to go on a raid.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Metalloman‌ Those stats might be a wee bit inflated.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    I'm inclined the dismiss the films, especially anything with Ahnold in it.

The character as per Howard/Busiek (thanks @booinyoureyes‌ for setting me straight there) is much more deep and intelligent.

@Metalloman‌ - I really like your descriptions. I was reluctant to give him to high scores, but let's face it, he *is* exceptional.

Perhaps, "Cimmerian" should be viewed as a subrace of humans with exceptional scores...
    @FinneousPJ‌ Yeah, I know that these stats are completely OP, but (!) in the novels Howard meant to create an exceptional character, and Conan is described in these books to be able to do things that no one else could do, that's why he has to have superhuman stats, I specified the reasons in the notes based on Howard's books, that is the only canon I consider, personally. :)
    As @Ygramul‌ pointed, he *is* exceptional, he really is one of a kind, unique, a step above all in the world he lives in.

About the first movie Conan the Barbarian (absolutely not the reboot), I can say that even that it is a mix of all Conan's adventures - F.I. Valeria exists in the original novels, but she is a completely different character compared to the one in the movie; the movie Valeria has, instead, many features of another female character from the novels: Belit, the Queen of The Black Coast, she in fact returns from the death to protect Conan after a love promise, like Valeria in that movie, even if under different circumstances - I really loved that movie: it sums up the very core of what Howard meant, and the atmosphere of those books.
    Even if I prefer the novels over all, for me that movie is a must and after all these years still I cry when Subotai, replying to Akiro, the Wizard, asking why he was crying:

He is Conan, the Cimmerian. He won't cry. So I cry for him.
    Yes, the Arnie film uses several of the original short stories. The bit where he mets Crom in the tomb, the witch episode, etc are from the original stories. The reboot seemed to owe more to the Prince of Persia movie than to the original stories.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Metalloman Yes, but having even a single 18 is exceptional. Having all 18s would be totally unique and superhuman.
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, you're not wrong, however in my personal vision Conan is like I've depicted him. ;)
    I know you've a different opinion but you're free to post here your personal vision of Conan, if you want. :D
    One nice thing about Conan has always been that he was *not* superhuman, or a demi-god -- just an epitome of a strong-willed, but mortal, human being.

Also, in a world where individuals are governed by fair "rolls" (say, roll 4xd6 and keep best 3xd6), stats like what I posted originally (18-75/16/18/14/14/17) would be truly exceptional. Possibly better than a millionth of the random population.
    Eheheh, maybe sometimes the Powergamer that sleeps in me awakes, sorry... XP

Maybe that's because Conan is one of my preferred characters, or maybe simply because my way to connect D&D stats with his characteristics was suggesting me to assign these values, anyway if the notes in that table are not enough as explanation I can give more. ;)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Meh, I think we shouldnt be afraid to give Conan amazing stats, he is supremely gifted after all. I would say

STR: 18/98
    CON: 17
    DEX: 18
    INT: 17
    WIS: 14
    CHA: 19

His physical stats have been well discussed. And I agree that he is exceptionally clever and adaptable, however, he is at times superstitious (is main flaw) which is why I think 14 is okay, perhaps a bit strict.
    CHA is his most exceptional stat, he can make armies follow him and people are forced to respect him and he can charm any woman.
    I also agree on Neutral Good, he follows the laws he was taught in Cimmeria pretty closely, but he is not bound by them. He never hurts people for no reason or simply out of malice, and he cares for those he trusts. Being cynical does not equal neutral in my mind.
    Yeah, he's superstitious, and I've thought about that too, but in more than one Howard's novel is specified that his kind of superstition regarding the supernatural is really different from the "civilized cultures" superstition: where they will consider demons as gods and so as immortal beings, Conan knows that their earthly incarnation (as they're extra-dimensional creatures) is mortal too, even if not weak as humans are.
    He know that a blade can kill them, and if the blade is useless then fire and silver will do so, even if he fears the demons (as the civilized cultures do) he is completely aware that he can fight them and kill them, and this awareness gives him a clear advantage respect to men of other cultures and against demons, giving him more tools to survive against that kind of menace.

So, how could I give him less than 16? ;P
    He's young, but he is a survival expert, a weapon master and expert combatant, a strategist, a ship captain, a politics expert, he has a deep knowledge of his world lore, cultures and environments, he gained lots of experience in his long travels, being a pirate, a thief, a mercenary, leader in many clans and officer in many armies and many other things.

I've already told this: he's simply too much powerful both in mind and body to give him low/mid stats. :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Here are his stats from Conan the Unchained (from somethingawful website's hillarious 'wtf dnd?' corner)

lunar said:

Here are his stats from Conan the Unchained (from somethingawful website's hillarious 'wtf dnd?' corner)

Woah, it is satisfying to see my initial wild guess was not too off from the 'official' guess.

Conan would have made a nice Witcher-like protagonist. It's fascinating that there never have been any good games with him.
    I remember some CONAN non-D&D pen&paper manuals somewhere...
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    The mighty Cromspawn,he could blend in everywhere and lay devastating traps and drain terrific strength in
    critical moments.The ultimate cheese and butter dream build.

My choice of multi classes would be barbarian,kensai,thief.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I totally agree with every single word @Metalloman‌ said about Conan!!!!
    As a huge conan's novel fan, I believe @Metalloman‌ described him perfectly!!!!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Conan is totally a fighter/thief, and he totally wants to beat up a whole cave of wyverns.
    I think you may be confusing him with someone else...
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Fardragon said:

I think you may be confusing him with someone else...

Maybe.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Barbarians are in tune with nature... The only thing I remember form Conan was that he punched a camel...

No Druid / Ranger / Barbarian class for you Mr. Conan!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Anduin said:

Barbarians are in tune with nature... The only thing I remember form Conan was that he punched a camel...

No Druid / Ranger / Barbarian class for you Mr. Conan!

Not just once, but twice. He punched that same camel a second time when he tried to apologize for the first time.