Skip to content

Show of hands for IWD2:EE?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

The problem with allowing your characters to use their in game intelligence to bypass some of the puzzles is where do you draw the line?

You want some benefit out of the points you invest in intelligence, but the game has to test the player, not the characters. If they made it so that smart characters could bypass the puzzles, then people would accuse it of what they accused Dungeon Siege of - that the game plays itself.

You draw the line at PST.

But the combat in IWD2 isn't testing. it's just tedious.
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2014

You want some benefit out of the points you invest in intelligence, but the game has to test the player, not the characters. If they made it so that smart characters could bypass the puzzles, then people would accuse it of what they accused Dungeon Siege of - that the game plays itself.

For example, in the Dorn's Deep floor puzzle, I would not find it too extreme for the game to say that "[NPC name] seems to be convinced that the circular table in the previous room is somehow related to the floor panels".

Anything more than the above would probably be a bit too much but I do not think having the above would be "too much". With that said, considering the ease of access to an appropriate walkthrough, this not really needed but it would certainly not be bad.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403

And knowing is half the battle. You would have to be my generation to get that line

I'm pretty sure most people here who played these games when they originally came out are probably old enough to get that reference. Go Joe!
    Yo Joe!
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I was hoping that IWD:EE would be imported to the IWD2 engine.
  • ThraxxThraxx Member Posts: 67
    This is what I'm looking forward to!
    I hope they add kits from BG2, I rly wanna make a Monk Kensai :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    How about an ORIGINAL 5E game (unless WoC are being jerks)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited March 2015
    Juris said:

How about an ORIGINAL 5E game (unless WoC are being jerks)

How are you defining "Original"? Sword Coast Legends doesn't count I take it?
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    To be honest, I never actually liked IWD2 too much. Part of it was the 3E rules which I just can't get used to, I find 2E much more easier to understand. And the second part is the difficulty. I just can't find a balance. One is too high for me, but the next is way too easy and there's nothing in between.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm in for any Infinity Engine EE even if IWD2 is the only game of the series I never finished.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2015
    Icewind Dale 1+2
    Baldur's Gate 1+2
    Plansescape Torment

The best games every made. Beamdog has already brought over 50% to us. It isn't even a question as to whether I'd buy the rest.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    I actually liked IWD2 a lot. Considering the IWD games are mostly about combat, IWD2 presented interesting scenarios such as the defense of the town and the attack on the bridge against all odds. It also had many little details: get some wine for a soldier and see what he does when the attack begins :smile: , some NPCs view you with suspicion and sometimes hatred if you play a drow, etc. The game is full of little things like that.
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    Demonic said:

To be honest, I never actually liked IWD2 too much. Part of it was the 3E rules which I just can't get used to, I find 2E much more easier to understand. And the second part is the difficulty. I just can't find a balance. One is too high for me, but the next is way too easy and there's nothing in between.

same here....grew up on AC going down over......

too old and senile to change i guess.
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    @ameliaboggins I think part of my bad experience with IWD2 was the perk and skill system which wasn't implemented that well. The effects was nice, but since these games were my only experience with DnD (I'm not from english speaking country) I had absolutely no clue about requirements. And the game wasn't very intuitive. But I eventually got over it, it was the difficulty that ultimately ruined it to me. Too hard on one setting, but turn it one down at it was awfully easy. I actually tried to play it again a few weeks ago and the same problems stopped me again.
  • JRRJRR Member Posts: 21
    Icewind Dale 2 with 1E rules and you can have my house.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I'd buy it but I think I'd like PST:EE first. Mostly because - if I remember correctly - IWD2 is better prepared to handle FullHD resolution than the older games.

I bought BG1 for better graphics, new NPC's and BG2 kits.

I bought BG2 for new NPC's and full hd.

I bought IWD for better graphics and BG2 kits

I'm curious what would they do to make IWD2 more exciting, since as I said before, it handles higher resolutions better. I wonder what would they add, since it would be 3E - a different system. They can't slap BG2 kits there and call it a day, can they.
  • toolargtoolarg Member Posts: 179
    Lathlaer said:

They can't slap BG2 kits there and call it a day, can they.

They can slap Prestige classes and call it a day :tongue:
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Lathlaer said:

I'd buy it but I think I'd like PST:EE first. Mostly because - if I remember correctly - IWD2 is better prepared to handle FullHD resolution than the older games.

You can set it to a decently high resolution, and it looks pretty OK(ish). But it's got nothing on a properly modded Planescape. No Infinity Engine game was modded less than IWD2 (aside from a minor fix pack I can't find anything worthwhile).

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    @jjstraka34 I've seen only screens of modded Planescape. I don't want to play with magnifying glass...
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    How could you, Trent???? We need IWD2EE and PSTEE right now!!!
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I desperately hope they complete all 5 of the games. IWD2 would be the hardest challenge, I think Planescape would be much more doable. I know I'd pre-order both. Until then, at least I have my GOG copies.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'd love IWD2:EE! I wouldn't have to RP as a Drow while playing as an Elf as I could actually BE a Drow!

Also gnome bards.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    toolarg said:

I actually liked IWD2 a lot. Considering the IWD games are mostly about combat, IWD2 presented interesting scenarios such as the defense of the town and the attack on the bridge against all odds. It also had many little details: get some wine for a soldier and see what he does when the attack begins :smile: , some NPCs view you with suspicion and sometimes hatred if you play a drow, etc. The game is full of little things like that.

Not only that, it had some of the sexiest sprites of the entire IE game "franchise".

Love me dem Worg and Worg rider sprites.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    If they start working on IWD2EE (hopefully one day they will), I would be happy to enjoy the enhanced edition with an expansion a la Heart of Winter/Trials of the Luremaster :)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    IWD2 had some really neat innovations.

The customizable toolbar is one thing which I wish all the games had -- Cleric / Thief is unplayable for me in BG2 because of where the Thief skill button ends up.

The voice sets are fantastic.

The fact that the sprite colors are pre-selected to match the portrait is a subtle brush of genius.

The way goblins fall off their wolves when you Crit -- another subtle bit of cleverness.

- - -

That said, there's a bunch of areas where IWD2 could be improved in an EE version.

Some of the Races, Classes, Feats and Skills could each use a bit of a touch-up.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited July 2015
    Nifft said:

IWD2 had some really neat innovations.

The customizable toolbar is one thing which I wish all the games had -- Cleric / Thief is unplayable for me in BG2 because of where the Thief skill button ends up.

The voice sets are fantastic.

The fact that the sprite colors are pre-selected to match the portrait is a subtle brush of genius.

The way goblins fall off their wolves when you Crit -- another subtle bit of cleverness.

- - -

That said, there's a bunch of areas where IWD2 could be improved in an EE version.

Some of the Races, Classes, Feats and Skills could each use a bit of a touch-up.

Here, here! I've been trumpeting IWD2's praise for awhile now, mostly because nostalgia, but also because of the little things you just mentioned.

It has its flaws, I won't deny that, but it certainly has a lot of neat touches that just make it feel really solid and help draw you in that much more.

Interestingly though, as playable as it is without the "EE Enhancements", I would really kill for those EE Enhancements that have made BG1, BG2, and IWD, "unplayable" to me without them :)

And not only that, but if they EE'd another edition, that opens up all kinds of opportunities for new content under >2nd Edition rules, which makes me very giddy.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    Nifft said:

@Nifft do you know that you can just hotkey the thieving skills? I have stealth on S, find traps on F and thieving on T. You can set it in-game under options.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Ardul said:

Nifft said:

@Nifft do you know that you can just hotkey the thieving skills? I have stealth on S, find traps on F and thieving on T. You can set it in-game under options.
    Oh that's cool, I- WAIT THERE ARE KEYBINDINGS FOR THIS GAME!?