Skip to content

Imoen Romance V3.0 Release

Comments

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    So aerie is important then? I don't mind bringing her along, she is pretty good and is more complicated than most other NPCs in more ways than one.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    @unavailable She has some talks with Viconia as well, though nowhere near as much as with Aerie...I think that this applies for Jaheira too. Honestly I did so many playthroughs with Imoen, Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in the party that I never use all of them anymore, but for the sake of Imoen romance that's the way to get most out of the mod imo.
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    I have uploaded a new version of the mod that should be EET compatible.

If anyone can play it with EET and let me know any issue's that would be great
  • tanxistanxis Member Posts: 1
    Hey, loving the mod so far. Absolutely blows me out of the water how high quality it is.

And so a question: I'm playing BG2EE in the 1.3 beta, and I've gotten a few hours past killing Bohdi and have gotten the romance to succeed. I was poking through some of the files and noticed that there's dialogues triggered from being a certain class, having a certain amount of money, etc. that use what appears to be local variables to trigger (IF ~Global("MRClassTalk","LOCALS",0), for example).

I've not gotten any of these dialogues to trigger, and tried messing with the local variables myself through eekeeper, but to no success. I'm also using bg2tweaks and rouge rebalancing as my only other mods, and was wondering if that was the most likely reason these aren't triggering.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited February 2017
    quick question. so does the Imoen romance and friendship mod work together after the rewrite? I remember the creator of the friendship mod saying no but that was years before it was updated. and now i'm curious about this mod and want to give it a go.

so our the two Imoen just too different to have on at the same time? or is it like the two yoshimo mods where i won't really be able to tell?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You can just run the romance mod and not romance Imoen. She gets a lot of friendship banters as well.
  • Sarevok08Sarevok08 Member Posts: 78
    ThacoBell is correct. There is a friendship path you can easily take. Just treat her like a teasing friend :)

I regards to running both, I would say that due to lack of original dialogue, there was a lot of room for character interpretation, and even if they did both work, you could probably easily tell the difference between the two mods.
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2017
    vanatos said:

Not sure how specific i should write about this since its possible SPOILERS.

There is a small number of Athkatla/overworld quest-specific imoen dialogue which normally people wouldn't see because you would be completing as much quests as possible in CH2, they have no consequence though.

So if you really wanted to see everything then you would have to rush to her but make sure you've experienced the required 3 dream sequences of Imoen prior to spellhold.

Though i don't know i'd recommend that since you'd be going through Spellhold, Sahuagin and Underdark being pretty underleveled and crappy magic items.

1) Can you describe which quests she has those lines for in Athkatla and around the world? You could put it as spoilers (hide it) :)

2) I have a vague memory in my head that it is strongly recommended to install Imoen romance BEFORE other NPC mods because this one overrides others or something. But in the readme it now says the opposite, where the advice is to install it after all other mods which alters Imoen's dialogues. Which one is correct?

3) Oh, and I was also wondering if the mod is considered finished now, or if there are any plans of writing more dialogues (e.g. romance conflicts with EE-characters, crossmod romance conflicts etc.)
    Post edited by Fina92 on
    Off the top of my head.

Druid acorn quest resolution.
    Lavok.
    Athkatla Mage intervention.
    Druid Grove Chalenge.
    Unsseing Eye
    Gong Quest.

Those are the things you can miss, though there are many others but you can get them anytime.

The mod should be installed after any mod that modifies Imoen dialogue (specifically after any mod that has Imoen Force-Talk functionality), but before any New Npc Mods (because of solar end talk).

Mods been finished for awhile, only support is for bug fixing.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it was stated in a review not to install both this mod and the introspective dialogue from iep banter pack as it causes a problem. was this ever fix? i know the big world fix pack fixed the solar issue.
    Not familiar with the iep banter pack, the Big World fix was done in the Imoen mod itself awhile ago.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    Okay, I just finished SoA and ToB with this mod. And I have to say "thanks!" to the writers. It's a really great mod!

Two things in particular stood out for me:

1. The quality of the writing was very high. Moreover, the new dialogues captured Imoen's "voice" very well. None of the dialogues struck me as off-note or out-of-character. The flirts often were hilarious. So great job on that score.

2. This mod made ToB much more interesting than it usually is (at least for me) because of the two 'mysteries' set up in SoA: (a) the mystery regarding Imoen's memories of Candlekeep, and (b) the mystery regarding "Bob." So thanks to this mod I actually was excited to play through much of ToB.

Many thanks! :smiley:
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    I'm part way through playing SoA and I'm really impressed with this mod too. As someone who has played through BG/BG2 dozens of times it was good to get some new dialogue from a character who was overlooked in the original game. The extra sequences add some impetus to get to the later part of the game quickly rather than meandering around.
  • AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 9
    Just a short comment to encourage those who haven't tried this mod yet to do so. Having played through both SoA and ToB specifically to complete the Imoen Romance, I must say that the run was well worth trudging through once more to do so. This romance was well written and suited for those who have a soft spot in their heart for actual, dang near fairy tale romance.

My only disappointment:
    I felt that, although well written, the content often focused entirely too much on the 'sister' aspect of it, nearly trying to make you feel guilty and wrong for trying to pursue a romance with her; from her having doubts to other NPCs throwing their two cents in about how terrible it was and how terrible you were for doing such a thing.

Personally, I never viewed Imoen as a sister to CHARNAME even after discovering both were Bhaalspawn ( always viewed her as more of a best friend that was always there; plus Bhaal never felt like he tied together so many people as brother / sister, at least to me ) and I didn't enjoy being force fed that aspect. Otherwise, the mod was absolutely wonderful.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited December 2017
    @Achaean
    That does sound disappointing (and kina unnecessary).

Because the official games present CHARNAME and Imoen as childhood friends, not siblings, right? The mod could have simply gone with that interpretation and not turn it into an incest story.

As I see it, CHARNAME and Imoen...
    • don't share a biological parent. (Different biological mothers, no biological father.)
    • weren't raised as siblings. (Neither grew up in a nuclear family, much less the same one. And wasn't CHARNAME primarily raised by Gorion and Imoen by that other monk whose name eludes me?)
    Essentially, she's the stereotypical "girl next door", or "girl who lived in the same orphanage" (except that the orphanage was a big walled library, but you get the point ;)).

I get the feeling that the idea of Imoen litereally being CHARNAME's sister, is an uncanonical invention of the modding/fan community (based on a too literal/non-supernatural interpretation of the Bhaalspawn origin story), and that an in-universe observer in the universe painted by the original games, wouldn't consider them such.

But I could be wrong.
    Is there dialog or lore in the official games that gives credence to the "sister" interpretation?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    edited December 2017
    Only that Sarevok is always presented as "brother", at least he says so himself I think. In that logic, it's not entirely unrealistic people would call the PC and Imoen sisters / siblings once her Bhaal heritage gets known.
    (But, you know, then all Bhaalspawn in Saradush would be the PC's siblings, too - and the Chinchillas...)
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Yes. "we are indeed family. no other could have lived to face me in person" said sarevok to protagonist at in the throne room under the city. I don't recall any other bhaalspawn saying anything like that though, not that many of them besides balthazaar ever said anything except "I will kill you dead until you die of dying and the throne will be MINE (queue evil laugh track)".
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    Guess the incest issue depends whether Bhaal used the same borrowed body to sire both the MC and Imoen.

Otherwise the only tie they got is the divine essence/taint.
    Mothor said:

Guess the incest issue depends whether Bhaal used the same borrowed body to sire both the MC and Imoen.

Otherwise the only tie they got is the divine essence/taint.

And this would actually be IMPOSSIBLE if charname's race is anything other than "human".
  • AchaeanAchaean Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2017
    Difficult to explain, but I felt that Sarevok calling CHARNAME brother was more symbolic than anything. Tied by the taint, brother in arms, brothers that have crossed blades and found understanding in blood; brothers like those that share bonds in a military unit, even. Not everyone sees it the same, but that's how I took it. If I'd thought of her as my actual sister I wouldn't have pursued the romance; but I didn't think of her like that, so enough said. Despite having to ignore parts that tried to make it seem otherwise I truly recommend this mod. It adds a lot of depth and gives Imoen a wonderful personality ( in my opinion ) well beyond what Bioware barely gave her before.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Achaean said:

Difficult to explain, but I felt that Sarevok calling CHARNAME brother was more symbolic than anything. Tied by the taint, brother in arms, brothers that have crossed blades and found understanding in blood; brothers like those that share bonds in a military unit, even. Not everyone sees it the same, but that's how I took it. If I'd thought of her as my actual sister I wouldn't have pursued the romance; but I didn't think of her like that, so enough said. Despite having to ignore parts that tried to make it seem otherwise I truly recommend this mod. It adds a lot of depth and gives Imoen a wonderful personality ( in my opinion ) well beyond what Bioware barely gave her before.

I think that's a totally valid opinion. I personally think that they spend so much effort tying Sarevok to CHARNAME as siblings, that it's reasonable for the mod (and anyone else) to connect Imoen and CHARNAME the same way.

Ultimately - the connection between Imoen and CHARNAME as it relates to their shared origins (both divine and mundane, from Candlekeep), as well as her following you from the beginning (first party member) all the way to the Throne (if you keep her, technically)... I think the game does a pretty good job of pushing you into being her sibling.

If I recall correctly as well, the mod in question introduces some additional backstory. So while I think people are perfectly correct in seeing her as a childhood acquaintance, the mod makes you out to be much closer.
    The mod is still pretty darn good even without romancing her. The first time I dowloaded it, I just used it to get extra banters with her, of which there are a lot.

@BallpointMan Oh yeah, never mind that its actually impossible for most of the available races to be blood related.
    Hello, my playthrough/testing of the mod i've put off for 2 years? waiting for Beamdogs next update is finally going to happen.

Hopefully no issue's come up in the 2.5 update.

Hilariously, Siege of Dragonspear has the guard tell you your meeting your girlfriend Imoen, and you can reply no she is like a sister and that would be weird.

You think the devs know about this mod? haha.
    vanatos said:

Hilariously, Siege of Dragonspear has the guard tell you your meeting your girlfriend Imoen, and you can reply no she is like a sister and that would be weird.

Which guard is that?
    The guard at the end of dragonspear that busts you out per Imoen.
  • Sarevok08Sarevok08 Member Posts: 78
    edited December 2017
    Sounds to me like we need to make a mini-DS mod to add appropriate responses to that question :tongue:
    vanatos said:

The guard at the end of dragonspear that busts you out per Imoen.

Interesting, I've never seen that dialogue option, and I've just loaded a save to test. Is there a specific path you need to take to get it?
    edited December 2017

The Thief is perceptive.
    Ah, I think you only get busted out by the thief if you've followed an evil path? I nearly always play a good character and take the good options during SoD.
    edited December 2017
    pwaring said:

Ah, I think you only get busted out by the thief if you've followed an evil path? I nearly always play a good character and take the good options during SoD.

Not sure what my path was, i doubt it was evil though since ive never played that way.
    Probably some choice how you handle the whole Skie thing.