Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    How exactly does the "repace Taerom with a smithy" work? Does the new smithy get his dlg? I have at least on NPC mod that gets new items from Taerom (Grey the Dog).
    Gavin gets called to Kelddath in Beregost once for a quest, too.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    @jastey Harshly. Just looked Taerom up: https://github.com/yellow-hat-elminster/Eve-Of-War/blob/ad0283586f735a5ef040d325e2349dbd1d9d3cc1/setup-k9EveOfWar.tp2#L861-L875

I suspect we need to start from small steps and inspect every bullet point one-by-one.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2021
    The character files for Taerom and Kelddath just get renamed to the Head Smithy/ priest. So they use those DLGs.
    edited August 2021
    I think I'm just going to keep this in-house. As issues crop up I'll deal with them when I can. But that will be slowed with me being in school/other projects/commitments.

But thanks everyone for the interest, feedback, and suggestions.

Acknowledged, sir.
    edited August 2021
    I had forgotten the mod replaces Taerom and Kelddath's creature files just to modify their script names.

That is hilariously bad of me. I guess at the time I didn't understand weidu patching (bear in mind some of the work in here is 7 years old).

Some of these files aren't using my prefix so that will also need to be changed.
    We all have to start somewhere and honestly, that's what reviews are for. Developing something for many years basically ensures that a fair amount of the know-how and familiarity with the code gets forgotten and it all comes down to "black box working, do not touch". I know the feeling well from the workplace. :sweat_smile:
    edited August 2021
    Yea in terms of age anything in Beregost / Gullykin / Durlag's Tower is probably the oldest.

Then Nashkel, Siege of Dragonspear, and Baldur's Gate. But that's just speaking generally.
    @elminster When assigning scriptnames or other things to cres, please keep this list in mind to make it compatible with other mods.
    elminster wrote: »
    The character files for Taerom and Kelddath just get renamed to the Head Smithy/ priest. So they use those DLGs.

This sounds like a good way to do this with greatest compatibility. Only thing left is that mods might refer to the the names Taerom / Kelddath etc. and/or players will therefore go to the wrong person to finish a quest.
    edited August 2021
    Looks like the script name for Taerom is taerom. It should work regardless of the capitalizations.

Keldath is Keldda (I presume I did this because of his creature file name). So I can quickly adjust that one.
    edited August 2021
    Its also worth noting that the switch with Taerom and Kelddath doesn't happen until chapter 3. So it may not necessarily affect other content for that reason either.
    edited August 2021
    I think the script name change for Kelddath/Taerom may have just been from waaaay back when they didn't have a script name? They seem to now by default.

That or maybe I was just confused back in the day and figured it would help. Beats me. Its gone now.
    It's possible they have scriptnames in BG:EE, yes. The list os or mods that also work for Tutu/BGT.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Good grief, I literally only learned of this the week I committed to a new trilogy playthrough. I will play this one some day though I am sorry I didn't know sooner. I think BG is going to outlive us all.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've found a few bugs, most of them small and/or conflicts with other mods. So some of these will only be considered problems at your discretion.
    1. When using the Breager npc mod, moving Keldath from the temple causes a small hiccup.
    Expected behaviour: You talk to Kelddath at the temple and he summons an npc needed for a mod quest.
    What happens: You need to talk to the acolyte that replaces him multiple times to get the proper dialogue option to appear.
    So its not game breaking by any means, just some odd behaviour. The npc mod author is German and it was translated to english by someone else, so I don't really know how to report this to them.

2. For one of the town watch quests, you can turn the quest in to find a lieutenant seemingly infinite times. The quest completion dialogue repeats every time you talk to the head of the town watch.

3.Another mod conflict here. I will also report this one to the other mod's thread. Yeorg does not join as a Dragon Disciple when Tome and Blood mod is installed.
    Expected: Yeorg joins as a dragon disciple
    What happens: Yeorg joins as a cleric with no spells.
    Tome and Blood does wacky stuff to classes to make otherwise impossible combinations. Druid/Sorceror anyone? Just a sraight incompatibility issue.
    @ThacoBell I'm maintainer of the Breagar NPC mod.
    The dialogue line for Kelddath is appended to state 0 of KELDDA.dlg, which is Kelddath's greetings dialogue. If you need to click through several other dialogues before reaching this state, then some other mod added several dialogues with higher weight than Kelddath's normal greetings dialogue. This might make sense if other mods have urgent quests for Kelddath/the acrolyte, too. If not, then these additional dialogues make not that much sense and should be avioded for the reason you encountered, i.e. not blocking the original dialogue other mods added their reply options to.
    edited September 2021
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I've found a few bugs, most of them small and/or conflicts with other mods. So some of these will only be considered problems at your discretion.
    1. When using the Breager npc mod, moving Keldath from the temple causes a small hiccup.
    Expected behaviour: You talk to Kelddath at the temple and he summons an npc needed for a mod quest.
    What happens: You need to talk to the acolyte that replaces him multiple times to get the proper dialogue option to appear.
    So its not game breaking by any means, just some odd behaviour. The npc mod author is German and it was translated to english by someone else, so I don't really know how to report this to them.

2. For one of the town watch quests, you can turn the quest in to find a lieutenant seemingly infinite times. The quest completion dialogue repeats every time you talk to the head of the town watch.

3.Another mod conflict here. I will also report this one to the other mod's thread. Yeorg does not join as a Dragon Disciple when Tome and Blood mod is installed.
    Expected: Yeorg joins as a dragon disciple
    What happens: Yeorg joins as a cleric with no spells.
    Tome and Blood does wacky stuff to classes to make otherwise impossible combinations. Druid/Sorceror anyone? Just a sraight incompatibility issue.

Latest release (1.15 or later) should address these first two. Not sure what's up with the third. I'll look into anything I did with Yeorg that might have caused it.

(Although to be honest Yeorg is some of the weakest writing in the mod so you might be better off skipping it :) ).
    Post edited by elminster on
    Loving the mod so far by the way. Even setting aside the extra stuff to do, it just adds so much flavor to the experience.

@jastey Just to make sure I'm clear, its not a single talk. I needed to talk to the acolyte, clear a dialogue, re-initiate dialog, clear another dialogue option, re-initiate dialogue again, expected options appeared. Leaving the temple and coming back re-set the dialogue if I did not clear every option to get to the Breager dialogue.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @jastey Just to make sure I'm clear, its not a single talk. I needed to talk to the acolyte, clear a dialogue, re-initiate dialog, clear another dialogue option, re-initiate dialogue again, expected options appeared. Leaving the temple and coming back re-set the dialogue if I did not clear every option to get to the Breager dialogue.

@elminster will know whether Eve of War is doing this or whether it's other mods, but in case it's Eve of War then it would be best for compatibility if the Acrolyte's dialogue would be skimmed to use Kelddath's original greetings dialogue.
    edited September 2021
    The releases I put out earlier reformats the dialog so it won't be an issue (at least from Eve of War). His dialog now comes from replies based around state 0 now.
    edited September 2021
    Another thing about Yeorg is he is incomplete. He'll mention at the end of his quest that he needs to Baldur's Gate. But I never got around to writing the end of his quest.
    Baskar Tranth(sp?) in Soercerous Sundries loops his initial talk infinitely.
    Woops. I think what happened is that I added a state above what I had originally wrote and then didn't account for it.

Should be fixed in the version I just put out (1.21)
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    How to install it? I don't see .exe file. BTW, maybe update first post with the link to the github.
    edited September 2021
    Etamin wrote: »
    How to install it? I don't see .exe file. BTW, maybe update first post with the link to the github.

The first page has the Github link (at the very top). You just find the latest release and download the zip file.
    edited September 2021
    I can't understand either. You are saying to download the zip file named source code? Tried installing it like I would any BG mod, and I can't do it. I see one thing that looks like an installer (setup-k9EveOfWar.tp2) and my computer doesn't know what to do with that so it asks me what application to open it with.
    Download the zip under latest release and the exe should be in there when you extract it.
    vwg701bpbj49.png

swyr54dggytf.png

edited September 2021
    Sorry, but I need to make sure I'm looking where I'm supposed to be looking and I don't see anything aside from that one zip download. What I usually see in BG mods is the mod folder, and an .exe outside of mod folder and I put it into the game folder like that too and this time around I see nothing but the mod folder.
    Post edited by lollers on