Skip to content

Brace yourself, a new year is coming... And so...

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Anduin said:

My new year revolutions.

Step 1 - Marry into royal family.
    Step 2 - Destroy the rest of the royal family in a combined skiing, polo and yachting accident.
    Step 3 - Invite all worthies to my coronation. Poison the food.
    Step 4 - Rule Kingdom unopposed.

Step 1 is the hardest bit... But I think Harry is not too fussy...

Wait....

Resolutions?

*facepalm*

That would require killing borris johnson as he's like 10,000th in line to the throne. Borris is unkillable, you might want to try a different plan.
    edited December 2014
    Wilbur said:

I'm gonna lose 10kg (22lbs) before the summer. It's not that I'm overweight but I play football every summer and it's way easier on my knees that way.

I'll attempt to gain 10kg...

...it won't work...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    wubble said:

Wilbur said:

I'm gonna lose 10kg (22lbs) before the summer. It's not that I'm overweight but I play football every summer and it's way easier on my knees that way.

I'll attempt to gain 10kg...

...it won't work...
    You work out too or why do you wanna gain weight? I love to eat junk food so I tend to slowly gain weight unless I exercise regularly. I could use a burger right now :)
    I'm 18 and have a fast metabolism so i can't reach more than 9 stone normally, I also need to work out more, i'm never gonna be huge but i'm weak and skinny at the moment
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @Elrandir‌

#2 It's a trap! =D
    Ok, seriously now. I still have vague memories of being in your situation. The longer I was single, the more desperate I was to find a girl, any girl. Until I hit a breaking point, where I did become content with my situation... too content with time. It's been how long?... 10 years... Yup, I basically became proverbial forever alone =P

#4 That's really awesome resolution! =] So many great places to visit in the world, but so little time and/or money =[
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Elrandir‌
    That resolutions of yours... I like them.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Elrandir which discipline were you planning? #1
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2015
    @FinneousPJ‌ Mixed Martial Arts, beginning with Kickboxing and likely specializing in Muay Thai. I'd also like to see about finding a place that does Tae Kwon Do as well, (the place I plan to go doesn't teach Tae Kwon Do as far as I know) as from what I've heard/seen, it involves a great deal of kicks, which is fitting since I have naturally strong legs.
    Kickboxing is definitely great for building stamina. Don't bother with TKD if you can do Thai.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664

Kickboxing is definitely great for building stamina.

Yeah, I have pretty sh** stamina, so I'm going to be the one dorky guy in a class of girls doing cardio kickboxing as well as the normal kickboxing classes. (At least, I feel like it's going to be like that. Maybe not.)
    If it is like that you'll soon fittest guy in your group! I don't think it will be like that, though.

Don't bother with TKD if you can do Thai.

Why is that?
    TKD is just a less effective discipline IMO. More showy though if that's what you like.
    IMO both are ineffecrive in real-combat situation, but whatever.
    edited January 2015
    O_Bruce said:

Yet both are a lot more effective than no training at all.
    O_Bruce said:

Maybe but I still find TKD less effective.
    edited January 2015
    wubble said:

The best combat training I've heard of is growing up in Glasgow...

It tells something that headbutt is often referred to as a Glasgow Kiss in the UK.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Muay Thai is highly effective in personal combat. Anyone who's sparred against someone using those techniques would certainly know that.
    *rubs ribs that still ache years later*
    Months ago, I used to spar with my former roommate who practise muay thai. The elbows are the only things that are dangerous. The rest is meh.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Knees, shins and forearms hurt too, believe me :(
    I believe you, and sadly, Muay That isn't the only style that is utylizing those.
    Anyway, no matter what you are going to train, @Elrandir‌ ,make sure that your instructor is a good one and that people in your group are friendly fellows. These are important things.

Good luck to you.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @Elrandir I'd recommend trying Krav Maga if you want to learn how to defend yourself against multiple (2-3) opponents. Krav Maga also teaches how to defend against weapons, and how to utilize temporary weapons. It's all very practical as well, and no weird kungfu tricks.

It's a tough sport though, so try Muay Thai or something else first. When you get the basics of that, Krav Maga is next.