Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

The great U.S. blizzard of 2015

jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,248
I'm hanging out in our new apartment in Brooklyn, where we are due to get about three feet of snow. I was just out walking my familiar when the flakes grew huge and the dusting became heavy, blowing snow. To all of my friends here who live on the upper East Coast, stay safe and warm. To all of my friends in Canada, no laughing at our craziness over a few feet of snow!

RavenslightdeltagololienGreenWarlockBaldursCatBlackravenJuliusBorisov
«1

Comments

  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    And to those of us who live in California? What is this "Snow" of which you speak?

    RavenslightjackjackBlackraven
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,610
    I sympathize with all of you that must drive in the stuff. We are having a rare day of sunshine today. Cool and sunny, just a perfect day!

    lolienjackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,248

    And to those of us who live in California? What is this "Snow" of which you speak?

    I used to live in LA, and no, I never saw snow there.

    lolienBlackraven
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,025
    jackjack said:

    To all of my friends in Canada, no laughing at our craziness over a few feet of snow!

    Awww.... no fun.

    And to those of us who live in California? What is this "Snow" of which you speak?

    Snow:


    jackjackBlackraven
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    I grew up on the East coast and spent some time in Chicago. I know snow. But when I talk about it with folks who have lived their entire lives here in LA, they romanticize it such that they just don't get having to spend half an hour scraping your car for ice every time you get in it, or the art of slipping and sliding down the road, or being stranded in your apartment (with no food) for days at a time because it just isn't safe on the roads, or watching the ice build ON THE INSIDE of your windows.

    RavenslightlolienjackjackBlackraven
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    @Ravenslight - LOL. It is pretty. I used to appreciate it. And then put on like five layers...

    I don't envy you Alaska. I bet it is real pretty there, but Chicago was about as cold as I could take it. Loving the LA weather we have where I can sit outside at lunch pretty much all year around.

    jackjackRavenslightGreenWarlockBlackraven
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Meanwhile, on the west side of Washington state, we have sunshine in the 60s. I stood on my back deck this morning watching the dog roam the yard and thought to myself "This feels like spring!" In January. -_-;;

    jackjackBlackravenlolien
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Aaaaand for a nice change of pace, Michigan isn't being touched by the blizzageddon. We have had a mild year.

    Good luck to all. Be safe!

    RavenslightBlackravenlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 15,980
    jackjack said:

    To all of my friends here who live on the upper East Coast, stay safe and warm. To all of my friends in Canada, no laughing at our craziness over a few feet of snow!

    If it makes you feel better Toronto has basically no snow. :D

    But seriously though that much snow (especially in a major city) is no laughing matter.

    jackjackBlackraven
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 924
    I'm in the thick of it as well on Long Island. I'm not afraid, as long as electricity is not lost.

    jackjackRavenslightBlackraven
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    I've got several 'East Coast' buddies. most are quite happy that schools didn't get canceled in their areas so that their kids get packed off to school.

    elminsterjackjackwubble
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,248
    Aaaand the weathermen remind us all just how ridiculous their profession is. We got maybe a foot of snow.

    wubbleBlackravenlolien
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,017
    jackjack said:

    Aaaand the weathermen remind us all just how ridiculous their profession is. We got maybe a foot of snow.

    Time to leave the ten towns and reach Kuldahar before it's too late.

    BlackravenPibarojackjackwubble
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    jackjack said:

    Aaaand the weathermen remind us all just how ridiculous their profession is. We got maybe a foot of snow.

    My "Weatherman" does just exactly what she is supposed to do.

    image

    jackjackwubblelolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 7,740
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,310
    I hate summer. And spring. And wet season. And dry season.

    Autumn and winter are just lovely though. :blush:

    jackjacklolien
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I like all times of the year : )

    Ravenslight
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Why do I get no snow?
    There's been snow at home but do I get snow at uni? NO. An hour drive to the west and I get no snow!

    RavenslightTroodon80lolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    We get a little bit of everything in Oklahoma. Blizzards, ice storms, heat waves, earthquakes, and yes, tornados. Sometimes it makes sense when these things occur. Most of the time it does not.

    In 2007, there was a huge ice storm that made everything terrible. In 2009, snow struck in the middle of April. There were French foreign exchange students in one of my classes at the time. They said it was romantic. Everyone else laughed. And tornados, I cannot express enough the severity of tornados here. They appear often and in large numbers, practically guaranteed to kill someone. Earthquakes aren't as bad as in other places, though.

    jackjackRavenslightwubblelolien
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Fortunately there are no severe natural disasters in england, the worst we get is a flood (it's only a disaster cos some twonk of a town planner decided to build houses on a flood plain)

    jackjackNimranlolien
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    To be fair it wasn't some twonk it was virtually every town planner and it was also the fact that the councils decided that actually clearing drains and waterways wasn't cost effective. Thankfully where I live is virtually immune to flooding or at least if we flood half of England is totally submerged so who cares. Although ironically the year I move down to the nice warm town was 2007 the year that half of town was flooded for about a week including every route out of my new house

    wubble
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I live up in the hills so I'm away from the flooding too but unfortunately there are many who aren't so lucky.

    jackjacklolien
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Michigan just got between 12-20 inches in the last 24 hours! Wooohooo it caught up to me after this post:
    CoryNewb said:

    Aaaaand for a nice change of pace, Michigan isn't being touched by the blizzageddon. We have had a mild year.

    Good luck to all. Be safe!

    wubblejackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CoryNewb said:

    Michigan just got between 12-20 inches in the last 24 hours! Wooohooo it caught up to me after this post:

    CoryNewb said:

    Aaaaand for a nice change of pace, Michigan isn't being touched by the blizzageddon. We have had a mild year.

    Good luck to all. Be safe!

    Yea I was about to say....
    Nimran said:

    We get a little bit of everything in Oklahoma. Blizzards, ice storms, heat waves, earthquakes, and yes, tornados. Sometimes it makes sense when these things occur. Most of the time it does not.

    In 2007, there was a huge ice storm that made everything terrible. In 2009, snow struck in the middle of April. There were French foreign exchange students in one of my classes at the time. They said it was romantic. Everyone else laughed. And tornados, I cannot express enough the severity of tornados here. They appear often and in large numbers, practically guaranteed to kill someone. Earthquakes aren't as bad as in other places, though.

    I always liked the tornados. The elemnt of danger they bring to spring. We've never had one really close to us but every time the sky turns that sickly shade of yellow-grey and the wind picks up, I run outside with a camera. I think you guys get them even more often than is here in St. Louis.

    jackjackNimranlolien
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,025
    edited February 2015
    Troodon80 said:

    Meanwhile, 3300 miles away across the Atlantic.

    Hey, America! Snow wanted me to tell you it no longer wants to be with you, it is leaving you soon so that it can be with a tiny rock instead. Once again, I get your leftovers.

    I hope you're happy,
    - The Pearly-White Isle, formerly the Emerald Isle



    The vale of snow covers the glen over yonder. Over there be goblins and evil things.

    Seriously, though, I dislike winter. Brrr...

    Thank you for the heads up. We have now appeased the snow gods by building 1,299 snowmen in an hour in Canada's national capital. Shubenacadie Sam, one of grand clerics, said this appeased them and we will have six more weeks of winter. Even though the other grand cleric, Wiarton Willie, disagrees, Shubencadie is backed by his southern brethren Punxsutawney Phil.

    Without this warning, we would never had the chance to rally in time to build the monuments to the snow gods. Thank you sir Panda, you are friend to all.

    http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/01/snowman-record-shattered--at-winterlude
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02/02/groundhog-day-2015-wiarton-willie-shubenacadie-sam_n_6592296.html

    jackjacklolienTroodon80
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,848
    meagloth said:

    CoryNewb said:

    Michigan just got between 12-20 inches in the last 24 hours! Wooohooo it caught up to me after this post:

    CoryNewb said:

    Aaaaand for a nice change of pace, Michigan isn't being touched by the blizzageddon. We have had a mild year.

    Good luck to all. Be safe!

    Yea I was about to say....
    Nimran said:

    We get a little bit of everything in Oklahoma. Blizzards, ice storms, heat waves, earthquakes, and yes, tornados. Sometimes it makes sense when these things occur. Most of the time it does not.

    In 2007, there was a huge ice storm that made everything terrible. In 2009, snow struck in the middle of April. There were French foreign exchange students in one of my classes at the time. They said it was romantic. Everyone else laughed. And tornados, I cannot express enough the severity of tornados here. They appear often and in large numbers, practically guaranteed to kill someone. Earthquakes aren't as bad as in other places, though.

    I always liked the tornados. The elemnt of danger they bring to spring. We've never had one really close to us but every time the sky turns that sickly shade of yellow-grey and the wind picks up, I run outside with a camera. I think you guys get them even more often than is here in St. Louis.
    I remember working one night when a tornado touched down. I was in the middle of cleaning out the trash that had built up throughout the day, when my manager came in and said "Everyone get to the safe room (that's what we called the designated place to go during a tornado)!" The tornado just barely missed us. It had swept it's way across the parking lot, it was that close. Thankfully, no one's car was that far from the building, since it was so late.

    wubblelolien
Sign In or Register to comment.