Skip to content

Thief Skills over 100

Which thief skills benefit from being over 100?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    everything aside from find traps and open locks I think (not that I use it much as most thieves I have dual after getting those).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Tresset said:

Only pick pockets, hide in shadows, and move silently really benefit from over 100 points.

This is right.

You also have to remember that there're a couple of items that give you a penalty to various thieving scores, including Elven Chainmails and Rugged Leathers.

For e.g., the Elven Chain imposes a 5% find traps and open locks penalty, as well as more severe hide/pickpocket penalties.

If you use, it (for e.g., the Aslyferund Elven Chainmail in ToB) it would be a good idea to get 105 in both find traps and open locks.
  • WindfootWindfoot Member Posts: 11
    Another thing to keep in mind if you're playing a pure thief is not to go over 255. I'm not sure about the EE version but in previous versions you could actually decrease your skill when above 255 since the skill wrapped over back to 0.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    edited February 2015
    Windfoot said:

Another thing to keep in mind if you're playing a pure thief is not to go over 255. I'm not sure about the EE version but in previous versions you could actually decrease your skill when above 255 since the skill wrapped over back to 0.

I believed that bug was fixed in the latest BG2:EE patch meaning you can now raise your skills as high as you want.

Edit: Come to think of it... That may actually have been fixed quite a while ago... I don't remember...
    @Gate70 or @Troodon80 Can you confirm that this has been fixed?
  • unhidemymenusunhidemymenus Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2015
    Windfoot said:

I would hope at some point along the way they realized they now had the memory for more than 8 bits per thief skill..

of all the things that might make this game feel old, this has got to be it
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    As far as I am aware it is fixed. Skills over 255 should be fine.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    "As far as I am aware."

Famous last words.

:smiley:
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited February 2015
    What's difference between hide in shadows and move silently? Is it the same button [F6]?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    rede9 said:

What's difference between hide in shadows and move silently? Is it the same button?

Yea its the same button and there is no difference. The two values get averaged together when determining whether or not you successfully hide or stay hidden (along with any association penalties based on how dark/light the area you are doing it in is).
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    elminster said:

rede9 said:

What's difference between hide in shadows and move silently? Is it the same button?

Yea its the same button and there is no difference. The two values get averaged together when determining whether or not you successfully hide or stay hidden.
    So is it unrelevant to have 254 and 0 or 127 and 127?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    rede9 said:

elminster said:

rede9 said:

Yea its the same button and there is no difference. The two values get averaged together when determining whether or not you successfully hide or stay hidden.
    So is it unrelevant to have 254 and 0 or 127 and 127?

Exactly.
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 194
    Just to note, even with 100 skill in "set trap" you still have a chance of failing. That's called critical failure and you'll know thats happened if your character gets hurt from it. Although, with 100 skill its very rare that you critically fail. You cannot fail from a percentage (no damage) at 100 skill.
    Fandraxx said:

Just to note, even with 100 skill in "set trap" you still have a chance of failing. That's called critical failure and you'll know thats happened if your character gets hurt from it. Although, with 100 skill its very rare that you critically fail. You cannot fail from a percentage (no damage) at 100 skill.

Yeah, I believe the maximum % effectiveness for all thief skills (except for open locks and find traps, which function differently) is 99%, meaning you will still fail at least 1% of the time no matter how high you raise your skills. Therefore, theoretically, it does no good to raise non penalized skills, such as set traps, to anything above 99. I think the vast majority of people still put 100 points into these skills either because they don't know about this or they know and don't care because they think an even 100 is much more aesthetically pleasing than 99.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Huh. I don't believe I've ever seen that happen. Now I have to decide how much I value 1 (or 2, with detect illusion) thief skill points.
    edited February 2015
    @Jarrakul I see it happen all the time when picking pockets. When my thief's pick pockets are raised well above 100 and just picking the pockets of, say, a nobleman or an Amnish guard it still fails every once in a while. It is more easily noticeable in those cases because I usually try to empty the pockets of everyone in an area.
    Fandraxx said:

Actually, regarding the Set Traps skill, 100 point in it guarantees it works in 100% cases. There's no 1% failture chance when your Set Traps skill is at 100.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/436805/#Comment_436805 (from 2012)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/106545/#Comment_106545 (from 2013)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/526285/#Comment_526285 this is the latest post on this subject (2014) by @Blackraven that @Troodon80 has confirmed
    edited February 2015
    bengoshi said:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/526285/#Comment_526285 this is the latest post on this subject (2014) by @Blackraven that @Troodon80 has confirmed

It could very well be the case that there is no chance of failure but this is not something Troodon80 seems to address in his post (it seems to be more about skills wrapping around after 255).
    edited February 2015
    elminster said:

bengoshi said:

It could very well be the case that there is no chance of failure but this is not something Troodon80 seems to address in his post (it seems to be more about skills wrapping around after 255).
    Although I understand what you're saying, @Troodon80 is such a pro that if he saw something wrong in @Blackraven 's post, he would point that out.

Also, this is my view on the subject: 100 point in it guarantees it works in 100% cases. There's no 1% failture chance when your Set Traps skill is at 100
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    edited February 2015
    bengoshi said:

elminster said:

bengoshi said:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/526285/#Comment_526285 this is the latest post on this subject (2014) by Blackraven that Troodon80 has confirmed

Although I understand what you're saying, Troodon80 is such a pro that if he something wrong in Blackraven 's post, he would point that out.
    Sorry but you are drawing a conclusion from someones post that isn't explicably stated. Like I said it could very well be the case that there is no chance of critical failure, however If you are going to say something is confirmed by someone (particularly someone with developer status) then the post you link to should actually confirm it.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited February 2015
    Not one of my Thieves in countless Thief playthroughs has ever failed to set a snare once they had a Set Traps skill of 100, so based on my experience I'd say there is no chance of failure.

But if others can confirm trap setting failures at 100 Set Traps, then maybe my Thieves have just been very lucky. :blush:

If it hasn't been luck, then maybe the EEs apply a different system. (My experience is mostly with the original games, though I've played Thieves in the EEs as well.) I understand that in the EEs thieving skills no longer wrap back to zero when you develop them beyond 255*, while in the original games they do. I also understand that HiS and MS do the same thing in the EEs whereas in the original games MS is better because it makes you remain hidden longer when leaving stealth after a failed attempt at hiding. Maybe the developers could confirm whether a 1% failure regardless of skill is another change to the thieving system introduced by the EE games?

Edit:
    * I'm sure I read this somewhere on the forums, but I can't find the source :(
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Does stealing from shops count? In last two weeks I've robbed Athkatla's merchants from ridiculus amount of stuff (mostly magic scrolls and potions) and after drinking 3-4 Potions of Thievery not once have I failed.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Lathlaer said:

Does stealing from shops count? In last two weeks I've robbed Athkatla's merchants from ridiculus amount of stuff (mostly magic scrolls and potions) and after drinking 3-4 Potions of Thievery not once have I failed.

For stealing, the shops all have a different treshold. If your Thief surpasses it, there is no risk of getting caught. You can steal anything from Bernard's shop at the Copper Coronet for example, as long as your pickpockets score is 225 or higher (he's one of the hardest targets).

Apparently it's not the same with pickpocketing NPCs: there the risk of getting caught does seem to exist (regardless of how high your pickpockets score is). I can't confirm this because I generally choose to not risk it in my no-reload runs.
    edited February 2015
    @bengoshi I know it seems that people like Gate70, Troodon80, and I know everything there is to know about the game, but that is not always the case. Hidden game mechanics like this are sometimes something we are unsure about. Troodon80 is incredibly knowledgeable about programming and general BG stuff, but I don't think he has ever really been rooting around in the core game program to the extent that he would know for certain there is not a 1% failure rate. I could be wrong of course (and I will ask him as soon as I am done here) but it is never a good idea to assume things about the operation of another's mind like that, even if you know them really well.

@CamDawg, on the other hand, would probably know for certain and I would not question anything that he would say.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    I am a little confused, some are saying find traps benefits from having over 100% and some are saying it does not. I know it used to. Anyone know for sure?