Skip to content

Gaming and getting older.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
Just started up the first Fallout and i'm in the character screen right now. I remember back when i played it the first time when i was 8 years old, i would look at the default age of the character (25) and say "Hah, he's an old man!"

And now i'm looking at it today, thinking "That's my age..."

Does playing older games make you notice your age? Do you remember playing the same games 15+ years ago? Is there any difference when you play them now?

And would be nice if you could mention your age when you first played a game, and when you last played it.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    How do you make living out of gaming?
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    Is everybody on this forum in the twenty-something range? Pah, you young whippersnappers! I'm 34. :P

I never really played RPGs when I was a kid, I was more interested in military flight simulators...I can't even begin to remember how many hours I spent behind Gunship 2000!!
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    @ O_Bruce That is called social phobia. You should find a good counsellor, they will help you not be afraid around other people.
    Well people, my post was mainly meant to be warning of consequences of playing too much. The "gaming can ruin your life" statement was generalzation, not description of my current life. I would say that gaming has handicapped me in life one way or another. And that's it.

Sure, I'm 22 and that's still young age, I know. Thing is, in a year and half, I'll probably finish my studies and I'll have to start making a living for myself. Poland, an excuse of a country I live in, is way different from your western standards when we are talking about making a living. If you think that you can live a dignified life when doing the simple jobs for a living there, then you're deadly wrong.

I'm psychology student, and after graduation I'll have the problem of finding a place to work in, due to the fact of how much people are actually graduating as a psychologists. I also cannot be a coach without practical experience. And, here where my wasted time kicks in, I cannot dream of starting to earn money as a digital artist, because my skill level is far cry (no gaming reference intended) from what it need to be. Did I mention the fact that digital artists often have problems with finding clients? No? So I'm stating that now.

What will probably happen is me having a shitty job, and trying to improve my skills in my free time in hope I will get out of that hole one day. Assuming I'll have the energy to do so. That's not even negative thinking, that's simply just reality of living in Poland. Now, do you understand why I am little concerned?

Also, @fanscale . Stop playing diagnostician, it's more difficult than you think it is.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    "Boo hoo my country is shite and I'm poor because of that"
    Utter bollocks. Poland isn't central Africa. You are a EU citizen, and as such you can freely move around one of the world's largest and wealthiest economies, and yet you have the nerve to whine about how bad your situation is.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited February 2015
    Let me try to remember : the oldest game on a real computer at home was "gamma globulins" (or something like that) on Apple IIe, a kind of arterial space invaders.
    I must be old...
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    As a 56 year old, the first 'computer' game I played was Space Invaders, in my local pub.

By the time I got my first home computer I already owned my own home (bond repayments to make, never-ending list of things to fix), a successful career (12 hour working days, on call at weekends, expected to fly anywhere I was needed at the drop of a hat) and a string of ex-girlfriends who in later years came with kids as part of the package (parenting, even as a substitute parent, is exhausting in itself), so I simply put gaming in my list of "things I can do when I've got some spare time" along with things like reading, listening to music, fishing, and skydiving.

There is so much 'stuff' to do in life that you have to prioritise, set yourself goals, and allocate your time accordingly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    O_Bruce said:

I'm psychology student, and after graduation I'll have the problem of finding a place to work in, due to the fact of how much people are actually graduating as a psychologists. I also cannot be a coach without practical experience. And, here where my wasted time kicks in, I cannot dream of starting to earn money as a digital artist, because my skill level is far cry (no gaming reference intended) from what it need to be. Did I mention the fact that digital artists often have problems with finding clients? No? So I'm stating that now.

The opportunities for those job lines you're discussing are no different here in North America. Lots of people here in Canada also go for psychology or social work, and find that they can't a decent job afterwards. As for digital artists, that's one of those glamour careers that people would give their left arm for, and only the very best and most talented are able to make it in that field. Don't blame your poor choice of studies for your lack of opportunities, that's something you brought on yourself. You would have no better luck with those choices anywhere else. Had you looked into those careers a little more thoroughly, you may have realized that you might have been better off studying something else. You seem to be spending a lot of bemoaning your fate and not accepting responsibility for your situation and doing something about it. I guess it's just easier to blame something other than yourself.

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Belanos said:

O_Bruce said:

The opportunities for those job lines you're discussing are no different here in North America. Lots of people here in Canada also go for psychology or social work, and find that they can't a decent job afterwards. As for digital artists, that's one of those glamour careers that people would give their left arm for, and only the very best and most talented are able to make it in that field. Don't blame your poor choice of studies for your lack of opportunities, that's something you brought on yourself. You would have no better luck with those choices anywhere else. Had you looked into those careers a little more thoroughly, you may have realized that you might have been better off studying something else. You seem to be spending a lot of bemoaning your fate and not accepting responsibility for your situation and doing something about it. I guess it's just easier to blame something other than yourself.

I'll have to disagree with this, but it might be because i'm not from the USA or Canada. I'm not going to pick a career based on if there are jobs within it or not, I'm going to study and pick a career based on something i happen to like/enjoy or have a passion for. If i have a passion for psychology i'm going to study that, and not spend 3 years studying to become an electrician just to get a job.

At least over here (Scandinavia) jobs change with time, some years ago there were too few teachers, now there are too many, and with the reform in Denmark we'll probably end up seeing too few teachers again in a soon future.

If social work or psychology is what he wants to do, then that is what he should study for.
    edited February 2015
    Enough. Belanos just won't get this.

Realistically, there is high chance to get some kind of job after graduation. The thing is, and some people will never get this, people have more needs than just eating and sleeping. Searching for a job that will enable you to self-actualization is the real deal I'm striving for. Working for the rest of your life in a job you hate without said self-actualization is a utterly worthless life.

Just to no get off-topic too much, while I can agree that videogames can be inspiration to strive for certain jobs (such as writer, musican artists) they aren't giving you competences to actually do these jobs. Playing games ought to be pasttime, relaxation, instead of main activity. Especially when your imagined career would need a LOT of work.
    Post edited by O_Bruce on
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited February 2015
    SionIV said:

I'm not going to pick a career based on if there are jobs within it or not, I'm going to study and pick a career based on something i happen to like/enjoy or have a passion for. If i have a passion for psychology i'm going to study that, and not spend 3 years studying to become an electrician just to get a job.

I fully agree with this. Knowledge for knowledge's sake is an admirable pursuit. But if you go for something that has limited career options, don't start moaning about the lack of opportunities in that field. If you make your bed, you have to sleep in it as well.
    O_Bruce said:

Searching for a job that will enable you to self-actualization is the real deal I'm striving for.

Everyone wants that, you think you're someone special in that regard? But the fact of life is that most people have to make compromises in order to pay the bills. There's very, very few people who manage to obtain their "dream job". That's just the way things work. At one point in my life I wanted to be a musician, and worked hard at it. But eventually I realized that goal just wasn't going to be realistic, and I had to settle for something else instead. That's just how life works for the vast majority of people. I guess you're just a little too young to understand that.