Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Blackraven
    Many of the screenshots are really nice, aesthetically speaking.
    In particular, I like the spellhold screenshots and it's also good to see those exploding vampires.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Been a while since I posted (real life is eating up my BG time, especially my no-reload time), but I have been reading a lot of the updates. Amazing work all ! Congrats on so many successes!
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Life has been keeping me busy. I likely won't be making another entry in Scarlett's story until Monday as I'll be out of town all weekend.

But I really enjoyed catching up on Bardin's exploits on my lunch break! I want to give a Cleric/Thief a try now.
    Those assassination backstabs always amaze me (even when I do them myself).

Having them all connect is even more impressive (but I guess some of the cleric buffs can be thanked for that).
    edited January 2016
    I abjured my initial intent to create a FMC but it is still triple-class time :smile:
    Mimicking @bengoshi I created a FMT (evil alignment but not sure how I will role play her).
    So yet another FMT tree growing from seed but this is where I differ from @bengoshi plan. I won't play until I get SoD and I will cover BGEE in solo unless it becomes obvious that SoD imports BGEE variables to customize events and dialogs.
    Enters Püppchen:

I am ready!
    edited February 2016
    A duet of monks, knowing the etymology of the word "monk", is a nice provocation.
    I love the kit too: monastic pyromaniac! Well done :smiley:
    Post edited by Musigny on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2016
    Dat critical! You have 'prevent npc chunking' component installed, right? Otherwise, poor Rashad would be at -50 hp and in extra chunky salsa mode.
    Good fun!
    A battle and victory, patiently built.
    Is there a reason why you did not use the wand of heavens on the soldiers?
    You can have a duet if you do a run with two bards.... or if in multi player you and an ally sing a lot.

Nice tactic with davaeorn. I did not expect the guards to all run off when you went invisible. Strange coding :)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited February 2016
    Musigny said:

Is there a reason why you did not use the wand of heavens on the soldiers?

Well, it didn't have a lot of charges, and I had to leave them for Davaeorn, just in case. With monks, you can never have a lot of money because you have to constantly recharge items, so you can't constantly use them here and there.

When Sigyn sold the archrobe of Davaeorn, she could recharge the wand of heavens, so it had 100 charges after that:

Meanwhile, after reaching the BG city, the monks could start and finish a personal quest of Rasaad, which brought him the girdle of 19 STR and +2 THACO bracers. The quest wasn't difficult, although it provided 2 trolls, which were hard to kill because they regenerated quickly and only fell unconscious for several seconds.

BTW, equipping the girdle of 19 STR that also set Rasaad's INT to 6 didn't lead to him losing the wand of heavens from the quickslots (till the next level up, but it's a long way still), so he can get the best of the 2 worlds.

Sigyn bought a new wand of heavens for herself (although with 25 charges so far). Also, 19 STR let Rasaad to bash the door to Nadine in the BG city, who gave another Necklace of missiles as the quest reward.

So both monks can now simultaneously use Necklaces of missiles and/or wands of heavens.

Now with the girdle and the bracers, Rasaad is a formidable force: 8 THAC0, 8-11 damage, 5/2 APR with throwing daggers, or 9 THAC0, 8-17 damage, 2 APR with fists, and all that with -5 AC thanks to the Shield amulet.

Sigyn trails a bit in the damage department due to not having 19 STR yet, but her 19 DEX (thanks to the tome) gives her 10 THAC0, 2-4 damage and 7/2 APR with darts of acid/fire, and -4 AC even without the Shield amulet.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited February 2016
    Sigyn and Rasaad, or the Duo Monks' Tale, part 4

For the fight agains the Iron Throne mercenaries I decided to use another scroll of Protection from Magic (it was sold at the Sorcerous Sundries), followed by potions of heroism, invulnerability, fire resistance (x2), and 19 STR for Sigyn and potions of heroism, invulnerability, fire resistance (x2) for Rasaad, who also had the ring of free action, activated both the Shield and Greenstone amulets.

This way, the monks were completely protected from the Necklaces of Missiles, and their main aim was to dodge enemy melee and ranged attacks and to trigger Missile Blasts each round.

The key to victory was not to get stucked surrounded by numerous enemies, so Sigyn and Rasaad never crossed each other's way.

I can't say the monks weren't hit. They were, for example, Sigyn was critted at 40 damage with an arrow - the Vampiric Touch, used before the fight on an item on the ground, added to her HPs for an hour, so she had more than 60 HPs overall.

It was time to make a pause, to heal while invisible. Soon the rage of an enemy archer ended, with meant Sigyn and Rasaad could attack with throwing daggers:

The next critter was first set afire and then killed with throwing daggers too:

Dealing with an enemy mage was easy: Detect illusions and a punching session.

Seeing that nearly all protections were still on, I decided to use my chance and kill Sunin. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but indeed, it was our my mistake in the MP run to let the main character face a mage without the shield. After recharging the Shield amulet can have 50 charges, enough till the end of the game.

I hope we'll make a rule for the current MP run: @Tresset 's character, Shari, can enter fights against mages only with the Shield effect on.

In the case of two monks, they didn't make any mistakes with Sunin. They, being protected nearly from everything, just punched him.

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @bengoshi Good stuff! I really appreciate your run so far and it looks very difficult, congrats!

Concerning the Shield amulet and the MP run, don't forget that my F/M/C and Tresset's Dragon Disciple both died because it didn't work for no reason 3 times out of 4 against Magic Missile.

To not use it would be an error, but to rely on it would be even more dangerous in my opinion. Let's be cautious with that necklace.
    Shield amulet has never failed me before. Do you guys have mods installed? In general I do not...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Very nice, I haven't seen the bodyguard behaviour from Davaeorn's goons. Kudos to @DavidW once more! Though it has been some time I played bg:ee. I am more of a bg2:ee person. :)

I was like 'monks detect illusions!?' then 'oh yeah, dark moon.' I love that small skill gives a tremendous buff to the kit, very very useful throughout the entire bg saga, doubly so with scs. In bg2, pause your game, order attack a mirror imaged glabrezu and then click detect button, then unpause. Your monk will both pummel the demon and detect its illusions to remove those pesky mirror images. Very handy.