Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of ONE MILLION visions"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866
    Trusty Mark 3. First and last post. Despite bless, protection from evil, and oil of speed Mendas killed Trusty.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2016

@alceryes I love your write-ups. I have found that whilst I can do that for one or two posts, it isn't sustainable for me. :( I'll obviously never be a writer.
    @Blind_Visionary and @ussnorway All the best in SoD

Thanks @Wise_Grimwald! You can definitely be a writer, anyone can.
    Some of my text updates start off being two-liners but then one thought leads to the next and, well, you see the result. The trick is to not give up. It doesn't happen easily or quickly. My last couple updates probably took a total of 4-5 hours.
    Have you ever seen a dog scratch at the floor by his dinner bowl and growl, before diving in to his food? Many writers work that way. Their words are the result of blood, sweat, and tears, and they wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Auch Grond0 :( . Fwiw, watch it with Nymphs in Belt/dopes battle. On my BGT game, should a dope get charmed by nymphs, Belt and guards go hostile.
    @alceryes I suppose that playing the game is more important to me than being a writer.
    Trusty Mark 4 enters the arena. I have realised that whilst berserkers are best dual-wielding, barbarians, due to weaker armour are probably better with a shield. I therefore edited Trusty to having ** in long swords and ** in sword and shield style. I will probably put the next point in slings since she has good strength. She has got as far as the scene of the ambush having had a pleasurable time with a guard in the Inn. He had unusual tastes, but Trusty seems to have similarly unusual tastes. (From romantic encounters mod which I would call LE rather than RE.)
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Great portraits @Aasim! Your halfling barb looks ready to tear someones face off and choke them to death with it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    Aasim said:

Auch Grond0 :( . Fwiw, watch it with Nymphs in Belt/dopes battle. On my BGT game, should a dope get charmed by nymphs, Belt and guards go hostile.

Indeed - been there, done that (more than once). That was why I included the cryptic comment in my original post "At the palace the nymphs pre-cast their domination spells to prevent any nasty accidents." :lol:

You play SCS right? So easy to die then...

Yea...ah well, I couldn't get much into character and it's only BG1, so I'm fine with it. Looking for some portraits and I'll try again.
    @Aasim If you think that was a quicky, my last game ended in Candlekeep. I gave the assassins there better weapons and armour. +1 weapons make them formidable for barbarians and mages.

Trusty has had a namechange to Trusty Truesword since the longsword is now her weapon of choice. She also has ** in sword and shield. This made the defeat of Mendas hard, but not too hard.
    She has gone round the sword coast half-doing jobs: Gettin Joia's ring, but not returning it; Killing Sonner, but not telling Tenya; Killing the wolf that was after Mellicamp, but not talking to the chicken; Killing Krumm, not not telling the dryad: etc. She has retrieved a knife from an ankheg and as a result reached level 3. The * went to slings. Also gave Trusty a new portrait for this run.

I gave the assassins there better weapons and armour. +1 weapons make them formidable for barbarians and mages.

That's the spirit!
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 Hard luck. Don't you get a potion of clarity at Candlekeep with your installation? Mind you, as my last game showed me, even with that, you aren't safe when they start using feeblemind and then confusion. :( They are tough cookies.
    @Blind_Visionary Looks like Steinnar needs a Stein to celabrate. :)
    @Aasim I like the change as it makes Candlekeep worth doing. A chance of death, but also a chance of getting a +1 weapon. As +1 weapons are available in Beregost, the weapons are not overpowered. I had given them even better weapons but nerfed them because they were overpowered.

Trusty Truesword killed a few tasloi in Cloakwood and appropriately enough gained a cloak.
    Near the Nashkel mines she killed Zargal Flintblade and Greywolf with her sling David v Goliath style, except Trusty needed far more than 5 stones. She then fought Zordral and that battle almost ended in disaster. Trusty had to use all three of her healing potions . When Zordral was on the point of death he went berserk which was scary since Trusty was also at the point of death. Fortunately Trusty got her blow in first. Phew! She will now have to go in search of healing potions. She fought karlat in Beregost and was badly hurt. Fortunately Finch healed her. It was time to switch back to using the sling! The change in tactics was effective. :) 3 Exp points needed to get to level4.

Trusty's new portrait. The Backdrop is Derwentwater in the Lake District and the battle against Zordral:.

Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437

@Grond0 Hard luck. Don't you get a potion of clarity at Candlekeep with your installation? Mind you, as my last game showed me, even with that, you aren't safe when they start using feeblemind and then confusion. They are tough cookies.

There is a potion of clarity, but Alba had no way to open the locked chest to get it. Clarity does protect against feeblemind as well as confusion - I seem to remember you saying you were caught out by assuming rage would protect Trusty (it doesn't protect against Feeblemind).
    edited October 2016
    @Grond0 I love doing no kill games. :) Haven't done one in quite a while.
    @sluckers Is Goldie mayhap a tad racially prejudiced. She only has shorties in the party.
    @Grond0 So sad. :( Even when I have SCS installed, I leave out that type of spider. I can't cope with them.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,034
    edited October 2016

@Grond0 So sad. :( Even when I have SCS installed, I leave out that type of spider. I can't cope with them.

Thalantyr only has 3 freedom potions and that doesn't sound like enough considering how often I get ambushed by those spiders. If I were solo and playing SCS with that option, I think I would just have to kill Dushai for her free action ring always, regardless of the RP reasons I that I normally have to not kill her. Potions of magic shielding would work too, but they are super rare in BG 1. Not sure if potion of magic blocking protects or not.

Part of the problem is the -2 penalty to saves that web applies. It would almost impossible for a chapter 4 character to guarantee a save by equipment alone if they don't have mods on their installation. If you were character that could use the spider bane that would work, but that's not easy to get. And the potions that protect against web (available in Chapter 4) would be very few.