Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    @Gate7o the hard way indeed... I assume you are off to look for spiders now?
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    edited September 2017
    ussnorway said:

Just found that Osric's innate spells aren't working.
    Tried using Shadowkeeper but that doesn'r work. :(
    I may give my Berserker another whirl if I can't sort it out.

isn't he a fighter/cleric? are you talking about bhaul powers... and its the orc I like best but the dwarf is good as well mate
    He is a Fighter/Battleguard of Tempus courtesy of a mod that allows multi-classes to have a kit. I think 9 is the maximum number of them that you can create. It means a fresh installation every time that you run out of combinations. However that mod is not working properly probably due to mod conflicts. I have Fighter/Ceric of Torm, Fighter/Cleric of Tempus, and Fighter/Cleric of Talos as 3 of my 9 choices.
    The Fighter/Cleric of Talos combination is working fine, but when I went into Shadowkeeper, I discovered that there are 3 Battleguard of Tempus kits. That is probably the reason for my problems. I will have to discover where they all came from before my next installation.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2017
    Mantis37 said:

Isn't there a version of SCS modified by Kreso- Aasim available which takes account of Spell Revisions? Or is it not quite up to date?

Yes, there is one, based on SCS v30. I'm using it in my current setup. DavidW appeared some time ago and mentioned something about a new version of SCS coming someday. And then has vanished again...
    Spell Revisions (like Item Revisions too) are also still on Beta state (even though it's quite stable), but it has some kind of a 'problem' - the constant change/tweaking of things... Now even more with @Aasim (Kreso) working on it, who has his own ideas, which stir things even further... Don't take me wrong - I have my eternal gratitude to all involved in creating and maintaining those wonderful mods but having a 'constant work-in-progress mod' might get frustrated. So personally I wouldn't count too much on having 'up to date' version anytime soon. I'm pretty happy with the version I use in my setup though and enough is as good as a feast.

ArctodusMantis37JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Condolences, Corey.

Hopefully some of our SoD No Reload veterans will offer some advice.

Best,

A.
    Serg_BlackStriderCorey_RussellJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited September 2017

Apparently EE doesn't implement the level 1 protection the original had.

It should be implemented (at least it works for me). If it doesn't work, there must be a reason. Can you reproduce the issue and report in on support.baldursgate.com , please?
    Wise_Grimwald
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    edited September 2017
    Gate 70 said...

@Corey_Russell I would view SoD similar to learning no-reload for the other games. What seems frustrating and impossible at first becomes much easier once you find some tactics that work for you (a few of our multiplayer runs ended at that point).

But that's my problem. I don't know what I could have done different. Silences did not work, hold persons did not work, we did enrage, but that didn't help, our melee and ranged attacks were useless (don't think we were able to kill a single one of the enemy party), and we had no time to lay snares/traps. As I said, I have no idea what I should/can do differently. At least in BG 1, if I failed a fight, I had an idea what to do differently. I have no idea in this one. We were even all dwarves (except Safana) to help with saves, but even that did not help.

If people have advice on that fight, I'd appreciate it, else will probably skip SoD - this party was optimized for SoD and it didn't even come close.
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017
    chimaera said:

I'm not sure the wish breach vs. spell shield is a bug.

Neither am I. There's a lack of clarity here.

Up until v21, Spell Shield still protected against Wish, even the SCS version, and it (usually, ~7/8 times) worked as per description: it intercepted the incoming attack and collapsed. It was only when David switched to the Spell Revision version of Spell Shield that Spell Shield stopped intercepting Wish. Was this David's intention? Possibly, but given the way the new Spell Shield is coded, requiring patches for new spells, or requiring spells to be patched for the new Spell Shield, it's entirely possible that a patch was just missed. This did occur with other lesser used spells, like the version of Breach found in the Wands of Spell Striking. The Wish Spell Shield interaction may be another example. Additionally, there is substantial evidence that David hadn't taken full account of the differences between the original Spell Shield and the new one as of v30, including the fact that his script behaves unreasonably in relation to it when it is run alongside spell protections, due to the fact that it does not sit atop protections, like the old Spell Shield did, and as the script assumes. Spell Shield is in need of attention, and the Wish-Spell Shield dynamic is amongst the matters that should be evaluated.

Irrespective of intent, which is unclear, I can say that I'd prefer to play with the pre-SR Spell Shield Spell Shield/Wish dynamic, the pre-v21 dynamic.

I'd also suggest that if the change was intentional, it merited a mention in the read me. Back on the Bioware forums, one of our players, Golden28, lost a character because of this.

Best,

A.
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on

Apparently EE doesn't implement the level 1 protection the original had.

It should be implemented (at least it works for me). If it doesn't work, there must be a reason. Can you reproduce the issue and report in on support.baldursgate.com , please?
    Well, I'm not sure of the APR of the wolf in that area. If it gets 2 APR then maybe nothing's wrong. If it only gets 1 though, then at least the level 1 protection is not consistent. Incidentally, in my new run (Corthief XII), Imoen got hit with a kobold arrow while she was level 1 in an ambush and it dropped her to 1 HP - so it worked in that case. Not sure why it didn't work against the wolf.

Also, even in the original BG 1, the level 1 protection did not ALWAYS work, but usually did.
    JuliusBorisov
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

Isn't there a version of SCS modified by Kreso- Aasim available which takes account of Spell Revisions? Or is it not quite up to date?

Yes, there is one, based on SCS v30. I'm using it in my current setup.

I am immensely interested in this, once it becomes stable. **IF** the AI mages also are scripted to make use of the new SR spells. (I only play on terms of what the AI can do, for the sake of fairness.)

So, basically, I hope for seeing a mage paralyze me with:

Minor Sequencer -> True Strike + Ghoul Touch

before kicking my sorry, unexpecting bum.
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

I am immensely interested in this, once it becomes stable. **IF** the AI mages also are scripted to make use of the new SR spells. (I only play on terms of what the AI can do, for the sake of fairness.)

It is stable (I've not experienced any issues so far). It's just *work-in-progress* which might last *forever*. And yes, AI mages are scripted to make use of the new SR spells. Enemy Conjurers even have some monsters summoned as a part of their pre-buffs.

ArctodusYgramulJuliusBorisov
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

Ygramul said:

It is stable (I've not experienced any issues so far). It's just *work-in-progress* which might last *forever*. And yes, AI mages are scripted to make use of the new SR spells. Enemy Conjurers even have some monsters summoned as a part of their pre-buffs.

Awesome.

Could you point to a sequence of links and an idiot-proof install guide if at all possible.

(I am running Mac/Steam.)

Thanks in advance.
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

Could you point to a sequence of links and an idiot-proof install guide if at all possible.

(I am running Mac/Steam.)

I'm not on Mac so can't comment on that. For my current setup I've used BigWorldSetup and it make sure all is installed in proper order. The link to Revised SCS is here. You might get some answers there. And check readme file for on MacOS installation and installation order with other mods (I just don't know which ones you might want to use). I also strongly recommend to use Item Revisions in conjunction with Spell Revisions or you might get some weird issues (fighting SR Basilisks without Pro vs Petrification and some items/spells not working as you are used to is not a fun, especially in no-reload run).

Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
    JuliusBorisovMantis37
    Thanks for your input @Enuhal and @Grond0 ! I have a few comments in response:

Enuhal said...

There's an easy way to deal with this fight that I've recently discovered. The first thing to note is that this fight is on a timer - after a certain number of rounds, it will stop and a cutscene will start instead. After the cutscene, the fight is over, so your party will be safe. Basically, all you have to do is to survive until the cutscene starts. A way to achieve this is by starting the battle with your entire party invisible (there is an invisibilty 10' radius scroll in the starting dungeon, so just use that spell before entering the general area around the bridge). Now, one of the enemy spellcaster does have a single divination spell, so all I had to do was disrupt this one cast with a single party member (I used a wand charge to make sure I would hit right away) and turn this character invisible again (I just used the invisibilty spell while protected by stoneskins, but a potion would be even safer). This way, you should be able to wait until the timer is over.

Alternatively, in a party of 6, having everyone throw a fireball at once right away (via potions, necklace charges or wands) should kill or severely weaken all of the enemies in most cases. This strategy honestly works for most of the difficult fights in SoD. Combinations of greater malison + web/slow/chaos might also be helpful.

I have several comments in response:
    1) We did NOT have a mage, so all mage based tactics were not available
    2) We did NOT have enough invisibility potions for the whole party
    3) We died AFTER the cutscene (that is, the battle continued)
    4) We could have thrown fireballs right away, though they were pretty close, so would have been tricky. Guess could reload and see if that works.
    5) Grondo also mentioned fireballs - guess I can reload and see if that's enough. He also mentions prebuffing with potions before hand, I can try that too. He also mentioned also I just have to survive until parley, but again we were all killed AFTER the parley.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you were killed after the parley I guess that's because you continued hostilities and sent them hostile again. Try loading it up again so you can see how it works. I just did that fight earlier today and used 3 fireballs right at the start. With the help of that only 1 enemy survived until the parley started (and he was killed after it finished).
    Corey_RussellJuliusBorisovWise_GrimwaldEnuhal
    Doh! Apparently I never made a full save in the Forest for CorEE II and my autosaves have already been overwritten by my new game. So can't test out your ideas anytime soon. Should I get to that point again, will do them then.
    Grond0