Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That's no fun. I had the same problem in my first run in SoD.

I usually pull back all party members but one before facing Belhifet so the introductory Dispel Magic only hits one character. It's nearly impossible to see it coming the first time around because the first several seconds of combat are so chaotic and the distance is so small, but if you know it's coming in advance, there's just enough time to get most of your party out of the way, provided they are hasted.

Once you're gotten past that first one, I don't think there are any other Dispel/Remove Magic spells for the rest of the fight.
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovAerakarussnorway
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    Ygramul said:

TIL:
    Buffing up with some 20+ potions before the supposed "final battle" at Dragonspear was useless. Just got all of them dispelled.

Bummer!

But, yes, that happens. When I expect Remove, I'll typically open fights with minimal buffs, including one that I know will be detected and induce a cast. I then layer on my mission critical buffs after I've drawn out the Removes.

Best

A.
    semiticgoddess
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

TIL:
    Buffing up with some 20+ potions before the supposed "final battle" at Dragonspear was useless. Just got all of them dispelled.

If you ever No-Reload Icewind Dale, he pulls the same trick. Also the floor is dispel traps.
    semiticgoddessYgramul
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The traps are the dagger-shaped tiles on the floor. I don't think they can be disarmed regardless of your Detect Traps skill. It's usually best to walk around them, make your way to the walls of the room, and stick to the walls so you don't accidentally step on the traps.

SI: Abjuration can block the traps, I believe, but since I've heard there's only a single SI scroll in Trials of the Luremaster, near the end, basically the only characters who can avoid it are sorcerers.
    Ygramul
    edited September 2017
    Hooray for Khale!

Onto Amn!
    JuliusBorisovSerg_BlackStrider
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Alesia_BH said:

Hooray for Khale!

Onto Amn!

Thank you.

(It occurred to me I mistyped his name myself, poor fellow. Huzzah for Khael then -- which most of my frontliners get named for some reason. Though I should have a Khale run as well: perhaps a Gnome with a Turnip familiar.... Hmmm.)
    Grond0
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

(It occurred to me I mistyped his name myself, poor fellow. Huzzah for Khael then -- which most of my frontliners get named for some reason. Though I should have a Khale run as well: perhaps a Gnome with a Turnip familiar.... Hmmm.)

Yeah. I was one letter away from making a joke about leafy greens...

In any case, safe journeys in Amn!

Best,

A.
    Ygramul
    Condolences, Grond0 :'(
    semiticgoddessGrond0JuliusBorisov
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    Tough break @Grond0 - I've had my fair share of chunked characters by him (poor Minsc has been chunked quite a few times by Kahrk in my runs). It's gotten to the point I don't mess with him unless I have massive summons or my party can't RP ignoring Kahrk (like my group of all paladins).
    Grond0ArctodusAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    Condolences @RVNS and good luck in your next run. A dwarven fighter/thief is a very good character for a solo run. It should serve you well.
    JuliusBorisov
    Condolences, RVNS.

Looking forward to your F/T!

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisov
    A pre-emptive question as I am heading out to Amn with my Cavalier:

How do the demons in Dragonspear endgame compare to the SCS demons?

I am pondering whether or not to permit the SCS enhanced demon in my BG2EE install. Worried that the at-will abilities described at the SCS-readme maybe a bit too much in a no-reload map.

But, at the same time, my SoD party did reliably survive the demon assault at Insane (no damage bonus). Are they lesser enemies than the SCS-enhanced demons?

So, should I or should I not enhance my demons in my SCS install?

Ditto, for other enemies:
    Beholders? (what setting do you use in no-reload)
    Dragons?
    Golems?
    Illithids?

Though I can reliably finish BG1 in noreload, I am not particularly well versed in BG2. So, advice is welcome.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,169
    Fiends - If you don't enhance their hp then you probably won't notice the difference too much, unless something funny happens with Balor vorpals. Don't install fiendish gating from Atweaks...

Golems- probably not- cursed wound is irritating.

Beholders- sure, but I wouldn't let them burn through protections at will. Leave that for the main eye.

Dragons- Sure, they need the extra hp and aren't enough of a challenge in Vanilla.

Illithids- I let them see invisible but don't bump up their resistances.
    Ygramulsemiticgoddess
    Mantis37 said:

Fiends - If you don't enhance their hp then you probably won't notice the difference too much, unless something funny happens with Balor vorpals. Don't install fiendish gating from Atweaks...

Golems- probably not- cursed wound is irritating.

Beholders- sure, but I wouldn't let them burn through protections at will. Leave that for the main eye.

Dragons- Sure, they need the extra hp and aren't enough of a challenge in Vanilla.

Illithids- I let them see invisible but don't bump up their resistances.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Would you think the SoD demons are SCS-enhanced? (I can't remember if demon fights in late BG2 were similar or easier in vanilla.)
    edited September 2017
    Ygramul said:

Though I can reliably finish BG1 in noreload, I am not particularly well versed in BG2. So, advice is welcome.

This may be a subject better suited to the Lounge.

I'll share some thoughts on SCS install options and A-Tweals over there, if you like. Or we can do it here. Your call :)

Looking forward to seeing Khael in Amn!

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisovArctodus
    Alesia_BH said:

Ygramul said:

This may be a subject better suited to the Lounge.

I'll share some thoughts on SCS install options and A-Tweals over there, if you like. Or we can do it here. Your call :)

Looking forward to seeing Khael in Amn!

Best,

A.
    Neat. I'll mosey over there and have a look.

Meanwhile, after wasting hours, I failed to install anything but SCS as mod to my BG2EE setup:
    Without the G3 site, my Mac/Steam install just proves too difficult to add mods to.

So, no fix pack, no IR, no SR currently.

(I am mid-install at the moment with SCS. If you have any quick insights on "tactical challenges" components, it would be immensely welcome right now.)
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    Ygramul said:

Caelar died. (I wonder if there is any option to keep her alive in that fight.)

there is an evil or good fight option but she stays behind no matter what else happens... of course her uncle can replace her so she gets what she wanted

Sod = harder than bg2 scs because many years dirty tricks got taken into account when they did the tactics
    YgramulAerakar

Congratulations, @Alesia_BH , on beating BG2:SoA. Each of your posts is interesting and insightful and almost always full of humor which makes me smile. Thanks for being here and good luck in your journeys!

Thank you, JuliusBorisov! It's good to be here!
    Borco said:

Anyway, congratulations for reaching ToB - it's been a great ride thus far (for all of us, I believe).

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing Amaruq in action. I love the portrait!

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess