Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    @Stormvessel, fyi Familiar = immune to "those lizards" but time is on your side with a RDD... good luck
    JuliusBorisovStormvessel
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @StummvonBordwehr: Alternatively, you can get the link by right clicking the time stamp, then pasting the link into a set of spoilers:

link to first post
    link to second post
    link to third post
    etc.

This ensures that all of the links of a single run are in one place, but don't clutter the thread.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldGrond0
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    @ussnorway Congrats on reaching Amn
    NeverusedArctodusCorey_RussellJuliusBorisov
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited October 2017
    Okay, so I just hit level 6 with a Dragon Disciple and my health is 42. That's 42 out of 48.

Either I've gotten really lucky rolls or it's much easier to get high HP rolls than in past games. My Orc Berserker is at level 5 and has 73 Health - that's 73 out of 75.

I'm playing on core rules - I don't know if it has to be a higher difficulty for the rolls to be truly random or not. It just really seems rigged in the player's favor. I remember vanilla BG having to save and reload again and again because really crappy rolls were almost a given. It was especially hard with multiclass characters for some reason.

But this game is the exact opposite. Did Beamdog fool around with the mechanics of leveling up? I have no problem with it if they did, believe me. Maybe this is anecdotal and others haven't had this experience.

Personally, in PnP (AD&D), I prefer:

1D2 (coin flip) +2 + con bonus
    1D4 +2 + con bonus
    1D6 +2 + con bonus
    1D6 +4 + con bonus
    1D6 +6 + con bonus

Did Beamdog do something like this?
    Wise_GrimwaldGrond0lolien
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

By the way, what is the consensus on Cloak of Mirroring?

It seems way overpowered and I am inclined to dump it (same as Shield of Balduran).

If it only protected from targeted damage (e.g. Magic Missile) but not AoE (e.g. Skull Trap) it would have been an okay balance. But as it currently is, it seems unusably powerful.

(Perhaps, Item Revisions rebalances this, but in my IR install I am not that far into the game yet, so I don't know...)
    Thanks for the feedback on Cloak of Mirroring.

I decided to abandon it. My charname (Cavalier with every imaginably defensive stacking) is already nearly unkillable by magic damage if micromanaged. The Cloak would have been unbalanced, I think.

Currently packing a Cloak of Prot +2 and Claw Kazgaroth from BG1: most saves are nicely negative already, especially when buffed with Imp Invisibility as per standard operating procedure. (Wasn't stunned even once with the Paralytic Bolts, though Jan was.)

--

At this point (Underdark just started), the run seems too easy. Charname seems strong enough to solo most challenges almost but never does:

A few moments ago, I encountered my first Drow patrol (I think I did enhance the Drow in my SCS install). Scouted by Jan, invisible. Then Viconia unloaded on them with Fire Storm (bypasses MR). The stragglers (including an SCS Drow Mage!) were picked by an Aerial Servant and Fire Elemental.

After many years, I am now remembering the pace of BG2. Barring a major surprise, my current mild install (SCS, mostly just the AI, no insta-buff mages) seems a bit easy at this stage.

Will attempt to finish as is rather than succumbing to restartitis with what is my furthest Cavalier run into BG2.
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
    edited October 2017

Ygramul said:

At this point (Underdark just started), the run seems too easy.

GOOD

KEEP IT THAT WAY
    Of course, what has ALWAYS happened in the past is that whenever Charname feels that confident, he manages to die in a very creative unforeseen way. (I am my biggest enemy.)

Which is why I am actively trying to avoid keeping the charname from the front line alone. (Usually have a few summons and Minsc next to charname, with party always nearby, with AWACS services provided beforehand by Jan. I have no metagame memory beyond this point.)

We'll see if luck will hold....
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwaldlolien