Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    IWD generally doesn't really take off until the Vale of Shadows. Easthaven and Kuldahar Valley are a bit of a chore, and bad luck can really screw you over early on.

I finally figured out a way to deal with Sendai, after dying one more time (reload count: 5). As I discovered in my Nightmare mode run, SCS enemies can be fooled by invisibility if you can outlast their divination spells. Sendai, unlike a lot of tough late-game enemies, cannot see through invisibility, nor can the drow fighters.

This means I can drink a Potion of Invisibility, wait 6 seconds, attack an enemy a couple of times, and then drink another Potion of Invisibility. I could attack for longer and still survive, but limiting myself to about two strikes per potion keeps me from getting boxed in midway through the fight. The drow fighters don't respawn, it seems, which means I could very gradually clear out the enemy fighters before whittling down Sendai's clones. It was a very long fight, but fairly simple. All I had to do was maintain my invisibility with potions to avoid getting overwhelmed, and use the extra time to heal myself or move around. Hardiness and -26 AC aren't enough to keep Imber alive, but invisibility can.

Balthazar wasn't hard. We mostly just traded blows and drank potions until Balthazar collapsed.

Now I have Melissan to deal with, and I'm not sure I can take her on, actually. She's immune to cold damage, apparently regenerates, and re-casts Stoneskin incessantly, much like Ogremoch. A quick look at her script suggests that, at least for the first fight, she can cast Stoneskin every 15 seconds, and this casting cannot be disrupted.

Except for the 5 castings of Whirlwind Attack, which don't last long at all, Imber is limited to 5 APR. For every time Melissan can cast Stoneskin and block 10 attacks, Imber can make 12.5 attack rolls. That means she can make progress against Melissan, but unfortunately, Imber really can't handle melee pressure from Melissan and her Demon Knights, not for more than a couple rounds or so. This means she has to flee periodically to heal herself, which cuts into her attacking time. The only time Imber could actually deal damage was when she was using Whirlwind Attack, and Melissan regenerated the damage in a few rounds.

I tried again (reload count: 6) and apparently it's possible to talk-block Melissan, at least before the first fight, and get her to Near Death before she turns hostile. I also have a Protection from Magic scroll to stop her Stoneskins, but I've only got the one. I could console in a second one, as if I had tweaked my install before the fight with Irenicus rather than using the first scroll on him, but I've still got one fight left.

I've considered reverting to natural form, which would allow me to use some different weapons and increase my max HP pool from 135 to 187, but I'd only have 2 APR in any new weapons, at much worse THAC0. My MR would drop from 118 to 103 if I equipped the Amulet of Seldarine, which is a slight problem given that Melissan uses Pierce Shield and she spawns in a Death Tyrant in the final fight, which will spam Beholder rays if your MR is below 100.

I'm sure it's possible to win this fight, but it'd probably take ages, and I might not have the items to do so. I have dozens of potions, but Melissan's infinite Stoneskins mean she wins any war of attrition with a melee character, rendering the potions useless without extra castings of Hardiness to go along with them.

There are four fights with Melissan in total; the side fights just cost potions and time. I can win the first one with talk-blocking, and win two more with Protection from Magic scrolls if I console in one, but I don't know about the remaining fight.
    Based on what I've seen, about half the XP in the game comes from quests; the other half comes from monster kills. Imber has over 8,000,000 XP in kills, so she's gathered more than twice the XP cap.

People often sing the praises of solo characters with their ludicrously high levels, but solo characters are pretty weak in Throne of Bhaal. Aside from XP being less efficient when concentrated in one character (two level 10 characters are a lot stronger than one level 11 character), half of our XP gains in this run have been a complete waste. Almost all of our items have been useless, and we've gathered over 700,000 gold for which we have no use. We could do so many crazy things with that equipment, but Imber only has so many inventory slots and only gets one spell or item use per round. With the ToB XP cap of 8 million, Imber's power has stagnated as the enemy's has risen.

It's reflected very clearly in the reloads. We had 3 reloads in SoA, all of which were due to my idiocy, not the weakness of the Slayer monk. We've had 6 reloads in SoA, all of which were due to the weakness of the Slayer monk, not my idiocy. Even one of the most stupidly overpowered builds in the game, with immunities to nearly everything, is overwhelmed by certain parts of ToB.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Part V of Bronwynn the Fighter/Thief's travels!

It's been a while, and in truth, I had little reason to update my progress; beyond the odd death of a party member, Bronwynn and Co found little trouble as they ventured the East and West of the Sword Coast. From Gullykin to the Sirene Coasts, the party grew stronger, prepared for what fights that came their way via Monty's excellent scouting. Bronwynn had even managed to learn a few cooking tips from the housewives of Gullykin, before being dragged away by a grumbling Monty. The party prospered. But such luck couldn't last, when they finally made for the Bandit Keep. A short meeting with Tazok down, they broke into his tent, and with three well aimed potions of explosive, promptly scorched Tazok's guard.

While Khalid stuttered over trying to tell us the tent caught fire, we spoke to Ender Sai, who Monty promptly killed after he pointed us to the Cloakwood. Bronwynn was disgusted, even now uncomfortable with such needless killing. Still, precious documents and gold in hand, they exited the tent, and then...

Arrows, so many arrows. The SCS Bandit Camp is no laughing matter, and while we took down Taerium, his men turned us into human pincushions. We barely cut down a fourth of his army before Xzar and Jahiera fell to arrows. Khalid got cut down, and Monty found himself filled with ice arrows. With only two potions of invisibility, Imoen and Bronwynn regrouped, as the bandits closed in. On the verge of hysteria, they gulped down the potions, and legged it, Imoen still getting badly wounded before their escape. In a single blow, we had lost our party. They managed to drag the bodies of their fallen comrades away from the camp in the middle of the night, and thanks to some expert clerical work in the FAI, all four survived, but clearly, too crippled to continue adventuring for at least a few weeks. Parting ways, Bronwynn and Imoen promptly drank their sorrows away, but no longer were they scared children. Their experience traveling had toughened them physically and mentally, and while Bronwynn wished for nothing more than to return home and experiment with spices, he was a fighting rogue now, whether he wanted it or not.

A terrifying dream recounted the bandit camp, and Bronwynn woke in a sweat, only calmed by Imoen's assurances they were safe in the Inn. The next day, they prepared to depart, to make for Beregost before delving into the Cloakwood. Alone, but no longer so weak.

Progress!
    Bronwynn~Fighter5/Thief4
    Imoen~Thief6
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @semiticgod Summon Rasaad, kill him, get the Cowl of the Stars, use the active, you'll have 5MMM, use them, your slayer weapon will then be dispelled, grab a weapon that deals elemental damage, and you might be able to deal with Amelyssan for this last fight, though it will be tough anyway.
    @Arunsun: Good advice. I'll probably make use of that in future runs.

I was thinking Blackblood, which I never actually bought, but looking at Melissan's .cre file, it seems she's immune to elemental damage... including acid. Seems pretty unfair. The only damage that could bypass her immunities is magical damage, though she does have 90 MR, which blocks the likes of Magic Missile and Horrid Wilting.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

People often sing the praises of solo characters with their ludicrously high levels, but solo characters are pretty weak in Throne of Bhaal.

This is the same conclusion I can make after the solo totemic druid run. When you reported about the Sendai fight, I perfectly remembered everything I had thought about before entering that fight with Yahiko.

The thing is, to me, that in SoA a solo character enjoys his faster progression while in ToB he has nowhere to develop further and the game quickly reaches a stage when a party could have the save levels as your solo character. But, as @semiticgod truly says, the party has a variety of options in terms of spells and items while a solo character can't use them all (if he's not a thief with UAI or a wizard who makes everything with spells).

@GemHound Nice to see you in this thread, I like that you've migrated here from a magnificent but unpopular "random no-reload thread".

@BillyYank I'm enjoying your writing style! Indeed, they should have built stiles years before the events of IWD.

@Jared4242 Interesting to see you continue with only Imoen in the party. Perfectly RP-ed, here.

@lolien I still grin when I remeber your Pablo characters. The stories you provide are short but so fun!

This thread is so fast-growing. More and more people are coming here, it's great. Although I expect it would be not so simple for those who miss this thread for a week or two to catch back ;)
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I had to... return to a previous save point with Pablo the fourth (Pablo the third died in the Nashkel mines from his own trap) because of some unsuccesful space pushing from my part, while i tried to save some bacon turning to ash. I think this is Pablo's revenge for roasting his kin. Count as not a reload, but let me know if this does discomfort any of you.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    lolien said:

I had to... return to a previous save point with Pablo the fourth (Pablo the third died in the Nashkel mines from his own trap) because of some unsuccesful space pushing from my part, while i tried to save some bacon turning to ash. I think this is Pablo's revenge for roasting his kin. Count as not a reload, but let me know if this does discomfort any of you.

Hehe nice one @lolien! Probably the best reason for a legitimate reload!
    Walhand Loyalar - Cavalier Final post

This no-reload run has reached its end!
    The brave Paladin died at home, though not in his bed after a long long time :disappointed:
    He died in the Candlekeep librabry during the confrontation with Rieltar. I am not sure if I roleplayed it the right way but no matter the run has ended. One of the enemies (Bruno?) hit me and stunned me with his weapon, I thought this couldn't be. I was holding Spider's Bane though, I think if I was using Eventar's gift I could have avoid the stun maybe? After that it was just a matter of seconds to die.

Final party formation was:

Walhand - Cavalier lvl7, 76hp
    Branwen - Cleric lvl 7, 46 hp
    Alora - Thief lvl 8 , 33 hp
    Quayle - Cleric6/Illusionist6 , 26 hp
    Kivan - Ranger lvl7, 46 hp
    Xan - Enchanter lvl7, 18 hp

It is the first time I am not disappointed at all a no-reload run ended. First of all I haven't been that far before and I have completed all the quests in Baldur's Gate that my current role-play allowed.
    I was used to play solo and this run actually seemed easier, I had a lot of options in fighting and the enemies had a lot of guys to hit apart from charname.
    I feel that I cheated a bit though after one of @bengoshi's comments that I visited Ulgoth's Beard before entering Baldur's Gate (in order to get the greenstone amulet ofc and pickpocket Dushai for Eventar's ring). I think I completely agree with it and it's pretty fair that this party didn't make it to the end.
    Nevertheless I will keep this save and probably continue the game as a minimal-reload. I want to explore Durlag's Tower since it's been some months (in real life) that I haven't visited!

Currently thinking about my next run...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2015
    Congrats on getting that far!

Probably you've witnessed the difference between the stun and hold effects, so deadly for a no-reload campain.

Maybe one of your next runs will involve a multiplayer attempt ;) We can think about the rules for such a game, so that more players could be interested.
    bengoshi said:

Maybe one of your next runs will involve a multiplayer attempt ;) We can think about the rules for such a game, so that more players could be interested.

This is a great idea actually, I am really intrigued!!
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2015
    Valkalyn - thief
    The party decided to enter the inn and was set upon by a mercenary named Neira. Kagain fell, but his corpse was still retrievable to bring it back to life.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We then went to the carnival and brought a statue back to life, the man that wanted to sell Valkalyn the scroll to turn Branwen back to flesh was asking twice what the temple sells them for.
    [Spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    We then returned North to Beregost and killed Karlat. We then talked to diminutive Perdue about dog heads. Then we found out Silke was trying to kill innocents, we killed her instead.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We continued North towards the Friendly Arm Inn, and on the way ran through an Ogre.
    [Spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    We then reached the Friendly Arm Inn and were confronted by yet another mercenary named Tarnesh. We killed him and then found a ring for a failed paladin named Joia. At the top of the Inn we recieved a quest to empty a house in Beregost of spiders, and we moved down South once more and retrieved Perdue's shortsword for him.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We then charged into the spider infested house and dragged the fight out onto the street. We succeeded and were immensely lucky that no one was poisoned. Perhaps since they were trying to hit a certain level 1 multiclass halfling with -4 AC... ;)
    [Spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    Levels:
    Valkalyn - 3
    Montaron - 1,1
    Kagain - 2
    Branwen - 2
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    GemHound said:

We then charged into the spider infested house and dragged the fight out onto the street. We succeeded and were immensely lucky that no one was poisoned. Perhaps since they were trying to hit a certain level 1 multiclass halfling with -4 AC... ;)

Well done. Those spiders ended at least one of my no-reload runs...
    Valkalyn - thief
    After we killed those spiders, we received our reward from the owner of the house up in the Friendly Arm Inn, and then went South to the Nashkel carnival. We killed the Amazing Oopah, saved the witch Zordral was going to murder, and then decided to go South to find Prism. We were waylaid by Hobgoblins on the way, and while we were resting and recuperating, a large band of kobolds jumped on top of us and instantly made Montaron a pincushion. We raised him back at Nashkel and went back down to rescue Prism from Greywolf.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    After this, we went North to get Shar-Teel. Chill ambushed us South of the temple of Lathander. We reached where Shar-Teel is located, and Kagain beat her easily. We then used Korax to tank the basilisks for us. After a rampage through the North, we killed Korax, bought a stone to flesh scroll and brought an adventurer back to life. I then sent the party North into the Larswood to see if they could get Baeloth yet. They couldn't, yet many Gibberlings fell.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then we went hunting Southwest of Beregost, and found Hobgoblins with a nice +2 short sword for Montaron, and then went East to kill Bassilus. We continued our hunt Southeast of Beregost where we killed all the ogres and bandits we could find.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We returned North to get Baeloth and after the gibberlings were mass-chunked he teleported in. After Baeloth joined we went back to the temple of Lathander and gave the mayor of Beregost the holy symbol of Bassilus.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]

Character - Level - Important Items
    Valkalyn - 5 - Varscona(saving up for the dagger sold at the Thunderhammer for the offhand)
    Montaron - 3,3 - The Whistling Sword
    Kagain - 4
    Branwen - 4 - Ashideena, Ankheg Plate
    Shar-Teel - 4
    Baeloth - 6 - +1 Quarterstaff, Robe of the Evil Archmagi
    edited October 2015
    Valkalyn - thief

After we turned in Bassilus's holy symbol, the party went and picked up Melicamp and took him to Thalantyr. Melicamp imploded. We then went further West and brought Brage back to the Temple of Helm in Nashkel.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We then went to the Nashkel mines. The fight with Mulahey went almost as bad as it possibly could have. On returning to Nashkel, a bounty hunter named Nimbul tried to kill us.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then we ventured further into the wilds near Nashkel. The first place the party struck was the Xvart Village. It was a bloodbath... Lets just say that there are now less Xvarts in the region. *nods*
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We went further North and ran into none other than Drizzt, and then dispatched some bandits before turning South once more.
    [Spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    Then Valkalyn went gallivanting through the Cloudpeak Mountains. Montaron was getting angry at how things were progressing in the party so he killed a nymph we had just saved.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then we went East of Nashkel and adventured through the area near where we exited the mines. Mercenaries that had aimed to kill Valkalyn(the amazons) took Shar-Teel with them.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then as we attempted to find Gullykin, another band of mercenaries attempted to kill Valkalyn and co.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Once Shar-Teel was raised from the dead, we returned to the South and found a deathly ill Flaming Fist deserter by the name of Samuel. The party reached the Friendly arm Inn in time to save him.
    [Spoiler]image[/spoiler]
    On the way back to the Firewine ruins, Valkalyn and co. stopped at Ulcaster and emptied it.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We then went to the Firewine and found a crazy lady with a jar that released a powerful Ogre Magi named Kahrk. He took Branwen with him. We fought our way through the ruins to the entrance to the temple raised both Branwen and Montaron(died to a fireball trap), then finished cleaning out the ruins, and killed the halfling that had backstabbed his own village.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then we went back to the basilisk fields with Shar-Teel being protected from the gaze of the basilisks. I was a little overzealous and Montaron was turned to stone. We eventually returned with a stone to flesh scroll once we had secured more protection.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]

Inventories and Character Sheets
    [Spoiler]Baeloth
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]Yes, I'm torturing the poor guy. ;)
    Kagain
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]Shar-Teel
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]Branwen
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]Valkalyn
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]Montaron
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Pictures, pictures galore, if there are too many screenshots, just tell me. I take so many since if I do not, I'll have it as text instead. No one wants a text wall. I average about 1.5 GB per playthrough.(due to this I store all my pictures online, My Imgur has over 500 pictures of Baldur's Gate playthroughs on this forum so...)

Post edited by GemHound on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @BillyYank , I've started following your IWD no-reload with interest. It was awfully daring of you to take a wild mage on a no-reload. One bad wild surge can easily wipe your party, and there's not much you can do about it. To my knowledge, no one has ever succeeded in a BG trilogy no-reload with a wild mage - the fatal wild surge always comes around eventually over the length of the game. I saw one wild mage no-reload over on the Bioware forums where the guy got all the way into Watcher's Keep before his Charname managed to turn himself to stone.

Of course, in IWD you don't have to worry about Charname vulnerability, so maybe you can make it work. It'll be tricky to survive fireballing your own party during a critical battle, but it'll sure be interesting to watch what happens. :)

Kudos to you on how well you write your updates. You have good style and strong, detailed sentence and paragraph structure. Your posts are a pleasure to read.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803

To my knowledge, no one has ever succeeded in a BG trilogy no-reload with a wild mage - the fatal wild surge always comes around eventually over the length of the game. I saw one wild mage no-reload over on the Bioware forums where the guy got all the way into Watcher's Keep before his Charname managed to turn himself to stone.

Actually, Grond0 over at Bioware did it solo due to some dark magic that probably involved some blood sacrifices. I'm still baffled to this day, but this is also the guy that took a Wizard Slayer solo through the trilogy. If you look under the BG2 No-reload thread there, first post, Corey_russell keeps a Hall of Fame for successful trilogy runs.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @BelgarathMTH Thank you for your kind words. I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Yeah, the wild mage thing. I hadn't really thought that through when I started. Hopefully, the bad luck will hold off until they get high enough level to withstand whatever happens.
    edited October 2015
    Valkalyn - thief
    Once we cleared the basilisk area again, the party went to Beregost and Valkalyn bought Shadow Armor from the Thunderhammer Smithy. Then the party went West ad charged up the Sword Coast nearly to Candlekeep.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then Valkalyn moved North and destroyed the Bandit Camp
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    Then Valkalyn went into the Cloakwood, and emptied it, including the mines and Davaeorn.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    The party stopped to kill many Ankhegs on the way to Baldur's Gate, returned the child to his father, and returned the bowl to the Umberlites. We returned to Beregost and had Thunderhammer make us a suit of Ankheg plate and bought both the horn and claw of Kazgaroth from High Hedge. Then we arrived in Baldur's Gate.

Character - Level
    Valkalyn - 7
    Montaron - 5,6
    Kagain - 6
    Branwen - 7
    Shar-Teel - 6
    Baeloth - 8
    @Neverused Nice to see you here! The more players like you posting here from that forum, the merrier! Additional plus for a totemic druid in the party. And you know what, I find those avatars pretty familiar... Why is that? ;)

@GemHound Your progress looks solid, good luck!

@Ygramul You've been lucky there, but those who don't risk don't win:)

@Blackraven You're back:) Happy reading!
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi almost have Baldur's Gate cleared out, will be in Candlekeep soon, will probably post an update tomorrow.
    edited October 2015
    Valkalyn - thief
    The party cleaned out Baldur's Gate and cured Lothander's geas.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We fought an uncharacteristically unorganized Maulers of the Undermountain.(they also killed everyone but Gorpel Hind and us) The party barely won against the wizard that wants the Helm of Balduran, and Sarevok's guards on the 5th floor of the Iron Throne building nearly killed Valkalyn.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    We were then sent to Candlekeep, and killed every single Doppleganger, took everything of magic, and killed the Iron Throne leaders on top of it.
    [Spoiler]image
    image[/spoiler]
    This is getting extremely interesting to keep Valkalyn alive due to her terrible HP rolls. She has 27 HP at level 8. *nods* I'm debating whether I should get the claw of Kazgaroth removed and put on another char, since its very risky using it as it is. What do you think?

Character - Level
    Valkalyn - 8
    Montaron - 6,7
    Kagain - 7
    Branwen - 7
    Shar-Teel - 7
    Baeloth - 8
    edited October 2015
    Because you've used a random method to determine the number of stat rolls, in the best roll your thief got 14 in CON, although it's as useful as having 6 CON... which results in possible 1d6 rolls with possible +1 HP per level outcomes.

If you take off the Claw of Kazgaroth, you won't improve your Valkalyn's HPs. The only way it's possible is that if you've given Valkalyn the tome of CON to improve her CON to 15 (which results in getting additional +1 HPs per level, that you don't get with the Claw put on).

If you play on the Core difficulty, you're fine as you are, I think. Saving throws means life or death for Charname in a no-reload run, especially in hard battles. If you play on the Insane diffuculty, it can be another story, though. But I would still keep the Claw on a 15 CON- thief, even on the Insane difficulty, even with 27 HPs, because there's not a big difference between 27 HPs and 34 HPs for a thief who can't use helmets and thus can be critted by almost anyone for all his life...
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on