Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @bengoshi thanks, I did give her the tome to get to 15 Con btw but I'll keep the claw on her.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    What do you, ladies and gentlemen, think about a proposed multiplayer no-reload run?

We could take the classes/kits each of the players likes the most, or make a run dictated by this thread participants' requests (so that we try things interesting for the majority here and post about results).

We could decide on the desired mods used for such a run, for the desired difficulty, for the HP rolls, for the level of exploration in the game. For example, maybe by limiting the set-up to the hardest settings, we limit people wanting to try such a run. Semiticgod, Blackraven and I like all SCS options including wizards' and clerics' pre-buffing, while GemHound, lolien, Jared4242 play without the SCS mod, Ygramul doesn't like the pre-buffing option, Mirage only recently tried all the SCS options etc etc. Some people tolerate the insane difficulty, while others think it's stupid and prefer not OP, not min-maxed characters.

How do we determine who's the Charname (and thus whose death means the game-over)?

What time for such a game is the best for all the participants?

I want all this idea to realize in the funniest way, so that all the participants could enjoy it to the fullest. But the number of questions about it is so high.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    I think it is a fantastic idea bengoshi!

Indeed starting a multiplayer game raises a lot of questions, it really is tricky.
    Participating in such a game would be a fantastic experience for me, the game settings don't matter to me at all, although I would prefer it with the SCS mod and I definitely would not like to be the charname :smile:.

I think the difficult part would be to decide about the TIME we could play and how often. Of course we shall first see who is still interested in this.
    If we get well organized and make it to this point, another good idea would be to record the game and upload it. I think a lot of people would be interested in watching this!
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2015
    I get really excited thinking about this multiplayer game!

I think it is about time to start another one of my generalist mage solo no-reload runs to cool off a bit.
    Truth is I recently discovered the beautiful world of weidu modding and I haven't played at all for some days. Moreover reading the forum posts about SCS lately makes wanna try the pre-buff SCS option for mages and clerics.
    First time I tried this I didn't like it, it was too much for me. Right now my gameplay has changed though due to no-reloading, so it seems unnatural and kind of cheating by my part since IIRC most of the times I pre-buff too. I think of restricting it in pre-buffing some spells but I am still not sure. Do you guys think that sooner or later I'm gonna end with full enemy pre-buffing? I think many of you have realized that I like the challenge, so would you recommend it?

edit: Ok I couldn't wait so here it is:

Pretty overpowered mage I guess but..
    Who knows? Maybe this time....?
    Post edited by Mirage on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I see you've read @semiticgod 's excellent post about the pre-buffing component here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/681631/#Comment_681631

If you felt something familiar when you read "you hit him with a Skull Trap from off-screen", then you should use that component, although it takes time to get used to it. To me, this is simple. Yes or No. If you know what semiticgod is saying here, then Only Yes is an option.

And don't forget that all the pre-buffs go out with time. So you can often wait while the pre-buffs of a dangerous mage end.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited October 2015
    bengoshi said:

What do you, ladies and gentlemen, think about a proposed multiplayer no-reload run?

Hear, hear!

This is a fantastic idea!

In fact, an EPIC idea!

(Once again, due to my personal issues, I cannot commit time to be available for such a run myself. But would be very interested in following it.)

May I suggest documenting key progress in such a run?

Perhaps, you can... erm... get a BARD that will tell your tales?
    (Or, maybe, even a youtube series.)
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    My problem with certain of the prebuffs is that they all start at the same time, instead of the staggered-by-one-round thing that's forced onto PCs without Improved Alarcity. This makes a gigantic difference in low-level play of BGEE, where most buffs are not even 6 rounds. By necessity, casting a second short buff makes the first short buff even shorter, and there's a huge cost to attempting to buff too far in BG1. By firing them all off at the same time, the AI gets a time advantage that's frustratingly hard to fight against without outright waiting them out, and that just ends up as playing against no prebuffs and sitting around for given amount of time. The longer buffs I have no issues with, but the ones that last only a few rounds, like Defensive Harmony? They're actually cheating, IMO, on the part of the AI.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the prebuffs that are fired off by script are not actually counted towards their spell book spell-count. If I equip my mages, generally, with that many defensive spells, they don't have nearly the remaining arsenal that I see frequently coming from a prebuffed mage. Or this might just be the fact that enemy mages just outlevel mine, in which case objection withdrawn.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Very interesting idea but how will it work with compatibility? Would you not need everybody to have exactly the same mods and install order? And what about EE vs vanilla?

I'm interested to find out more :)
    I would be interested, though I do not want to be the Bhaalspawn. I'll finish my no reload run first.

Very interesting idea but how will it work with compatibility? Would you not need everybody to have exactly the same mods and install order? And what about EE vs vanilla?

I'm interested to find out more :)

I imagine a mod-light or mod-free run probably will be a necessity. Perhaps, with *minimal* SCS and Tweaks options. (I recommend my original post at the beginning of the thread as a starting point.)

In one scenario, someone can make a master copy of the mod-install folders accordingly and share it with others for their install.
    Yeah, there can be multiple copies of the game's folder on your computer, each with its own setup. So as soon as we come to an agreement about mods and tweaks, we can create a version of the game suitable for a co-op run without changing the game setup each of the players uses in his own play through. You only need (if there're changes) to make a backup or your ini file, because it's the same no matter if you run the game's exe from your D, E or C (or even from a flash) disk.

Also, I think it's safe to say the EE looks better for a multiplayer game.

For the rules, we indeed can use the OP here.

If someone has a good PC and can speak so that the listener is interested, and can create a video, he may indeed record a play through. But even written posts from the participants will be great.
    edited October 2015
    Having at least 1 high charisma player is nice to have, but I don't think it would be mandatory, it is still nice though since high charisma chars get more stuff earlier.
    But who gets to romance Viconia?
    edited October 2015
    @Ygramul how many players are we looking at? I see 3 so far, me, @bengoshi, and @Mirage. Is that correct?
    GemHound said:

@Ygramul how many players are we looking at? I see 3 so far, me, @bengoshi, and @Mirage. Is that correct?

I would like to defer any lead role in this discussion to @bengoshi as it was his idea.

Over time others may want to join. But a proof-of-concept run by a handful of people (3 is great) would likely generate interest.
    edited October 2015
    lol I barely escaped my most recent battle. Only escaped because Valkalyn glugged a potion of Invisiblity as the last party member fell. Dwarven Doomguards are beasts. ;)
    Post edited by GemHound on
    @Nimran : Look ^, a new ferret has arrived to the icy world! @BillyYank I'm getting a lot of pleasure of reading your reports.
    GemHound said:

It would be great to hear @semiticgod 's , @Jaheiras_Witness 's @Serg_BlackStrider 's opinions (as well as other followers's thoughts of this thread) and we're still waiting for @Blackraven to fully return here.
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi Okay, thanks. I should be posting an update soon.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I'd be interested in a MP, if there's a common time that would work for everyone.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    bengoshi said:

@Nimran : Look ^, a new ferret has arrived to the icy world! @BillyYank I'm getting a lot of pleasure of reading your reports.

GemHound said:

It would be great to hear @semiticgod 's , @Jaheiras_Witness 's @Serg_BlackStrider 's opinions (as well as other followers's thoughts of this thread) and we're still waiting for @Blackraven to fully return here.
    I think this is a great idea. I will be cheering from the sidelines though as I don't use EE, only vanilla.

Recording and commentating will be awesome for followers. In fact if you could all chat while playing and record that, that would be a lot of fun to watch.

Good luck!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I might be available, if I can manage the technical issues. I've never joined an actual multiplayer game before, and I might have to buy a mic and headphones. My schedule is a bit uncertain at the moment, since I'll be volunteering at a shelter and there are lots of shifts at various times.

Although I usually play with pre-buffs all around, I think it would be wisest to go without pre-buffs, both on the party and on the enemy. It would slow down gameplay, especially for the bigger encounters where there's an incentive to layer on tons of them.

I normally only play BG2, but know enough about BG1 to get by. I've done a single SCS Tutu run before. I would enjoy playing a variety of characters. Bounty Hunter, Barbarian, unkitted fighter, Archer, any mage or sorcerer besides Wild Mage, Avenger, Cleric/Mage, unkitted monk, and Fighter/Illusionist come to mind.

I'd probably skip through all of the dialogue if I were Charname.
    edited October 2015
    Judging by the quality of their reports on this forum, by their use of the English language, I think either semiticgod or Blackraven (or maybe even both, or maybe even everybody) could do a voice over work (if they wish to do so). For me it's impossible even while I want it: there's no way for me to start speaking about the game and in-game in the room I live ;)

But at least we could chat in the in-game chat box as well.

I don't want to let all those "cheering from the sidelines" fans down.

Of course, we should focus on our own adventure, our own views shared and our own jokes/commentaries, not on the dialogue the game provides.

We have so far 1) GemHound, 2) Mirage, 3) semiticgod, 4) Neverused and 5) me. Let's wait for @Blackraven .

As for the classes, I would enjoy playing anyone, no, really, any character because this idea is 100% exciting even without looking into classes. Any sort of a druid (for obvious reasons) and a thief will be fine from me.

"Without pre-buffs, both on the party and on the enemy". Agree.

Nice that semiticgod knows BG1 ;)

As for the time, we can differ any schedule. The main thing is to start. There's no necessity in playing for long sessions. It all could differ each time. I'm in Europe now and can play any time (if I know in advance which days to reserve) from the morning till the evening but not at the weekends.

Now, I'll go and try to make a separate game folder with a mod variation suitable for this run.

Edit: The SCS mod is currently installing, so I'll give a WeiDU afterwards. You can check my views on the modifications here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycv9r8e498luiq0/My take on the SCS modifications for this run.doc?dl=0

I'm open to any suggestions. Nothing is set. We can only decide on everything together.

Edit 2: Here's the WeiDU log:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Initialise mod (all other components require this): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #1910 // Protection from Normal Missiles also blocks Arrows of Fire/Cold/Acid and similar projectiles without pluses: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2010 // More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Slightly weaken insect plague spells, and let fire shields block them: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #2150 // Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Replace BG1-style elemental arrows with BG2 versions: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #3010 // Replace +1 arrows with nonmagical "fine" ones: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Faster Bears: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures protection from Web and Entangle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // More realistic wolves and wild dogs: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Allow NPC pairs to separate: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4120 // NPCs go to inns: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #4130 // Move NPCs to more convenient locations: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5050 // Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5060 // Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #5900 // Initialise AI components (required for all tactical and AI components): v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6000 // Smarter general AI: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6010 // Better calls for help: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6032 // Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6042 // Smarter Priests -> Priests never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6102 // Potions for NPCs -> Half the potions dropped by slain enemies break and are lost: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6200 // Improved Spiders: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6300 // Smarter sirines and dryads: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6310 // Slightly harder carrion crawlers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #6320 // Smarter basilisks: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7000 // Improved doppelgangers: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7010 // Tougher Black Talons and Iron Throne guards: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7020 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7030 // Dark Side-based kobold upgrade: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7040 // Relocated bounty hunters: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7050 // Improved Ulcaster: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7060 // Improved Balduran's Isle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7070 // Improved Durlag's Tower: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7080 // Improved Demon Cultists: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7090 // Improved Cloakwood Druids: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7100 // Improved Bassilus: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7110 // Improved Drasus party: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7130 // Improved Red Wizards: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7140 // Improved Undercity party: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7200 // Tougher chapter-two end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7210 // Tougher chapter-three end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7220 // Tougher chapter-four end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7230 // Tougher chapter-five end battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7250 // Improved final battle: v30
    ~STRATAGEMS/SETUP-STRATAGEMS.TP2~ #0 #7900 // Improved minor encounters: v30

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    @bengoshi: If you're the first to build a game folder, why don't you give us your WeiDu log so we know what components of SCS install on ours? We should also post any portraits and soundsets we might be using so everyone can download and see and hear them.

I'm not too confident about BG1. I would probably be the weak link, easily. The other posters clearly have far more experience with BG1 than I do.

I don't think I could do a voice-over during the game itself; I'd be too distracted. But we could record the video, watch it together (we could time it on Skype), and record our comments, which we could then add as an extra audio layer for the final video. I don't know how to do any of that myself, but it would probably just require a video editing program.

By the way... I'm honored that you would mention me in this discussion. I appreciate the thought.
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi
    I will be unable to play forsure between these times:
    Monday: GMT 21:00 - 24:00
    Tuesday: GMT 19:00 - 24:00
    Wednesday: GMT 24:00 - 1:00
    Thursday: GMT 23:00 - 24:00
    Friday: GMT 24:00 - 1:00

Valkalyn - thief

We agreed to let the flaming fist take us to their compound, only to have Angelo murder our captors and free us since apparently Shar-Teel is Angelo's daughter. I can see why she hates men so much. After that we decided to enlist aid from the merchants guild only to have them stab us in the back, so we decided to storm the keep of the Flaming Fist to rescue Duke Eltan. (The main reason I like to take Shar-Teel anyways is she is directly tied into the story unlike most characters)

On our way to the Harbormaster, we were ambushed by a quintet of Ogre Magi, and we stormed the Iron Throne Headquarters to find all but Sarevok's tramp fleeing the building. We eventually reached the Harbormaster and gave him Duke Eltan.

Using information from the Flaming Fist loyal to Eltan, we went to the Blushing Mermaid, where the drunk Husam showed us that he had been acting the entire time and was truly a Shadow Thief. He told us of the secret entrance to the Undercellar and of Slythe and Krystin. We killed them and returned to have them promise to aid us in thwarting the coming assassination. They never showed up, and Liia was assassinated by Sarevok's Dopplegangers. Sarevok's mentor teleported him out of the Duchal Palace before he could get killed by the overwhelming numbers.

We then were teleported to the thieves guild and chased Sarevok through the maze under the city, until we found Winsky. We let him live and truly entered the Undercity. Kagain took Montaron's boots and drank fire and magic resistance potions and ran forward ahead of the party, incase Sarevok was amongst the ruins. Kagain happenned upon a large band of Iron Throne assassins that were hunting Sarevok. He used up the charges of "The One Gift Lost", on them as he ran around dodging the group. Eventually they threw enough magic and spells at Kagain that he fell, by that time the rest of the party had arrived and began to mop up what remained.

After a quick visit to the surface to bring Kagain back from the dead and some rest, we entered the Temple of Bhaal.

All the fighters drank every potion they could get their hands on while Branwen and Baeloth cast all their defensive spells. Kagain still had Montaron's boots of speed and ran forward and tanked all of the contingencies and magic with 75% MR, 50% MDR, and Angelo wasted remove magic on him as well. Kagain ran around the symbol of Bhaal while Sarevok chased him. The party focused on killing Sarevok's companions, until Sarevok gave up on chasing Kagain and charged into the fray. Branwen fell first, then Shar-Teel. Montaron was almost already dead by the time Kagain reached the fight. Sarevok then targeted Baeloth who quickly threw up a stoneskin and mirror image while Valkalyn used her charges of her ring of invisibility. Baeloth then cast haste and quickly ran away from Sarevok who turned to focus on Kagain. Kagain fell and Sarevok turned his attention fully onto Valkalyn who decided to run around the symbol of Bhaal in full flight, while Baeloth pelted Sarevok with Magic Missiles. Eventually enough Magic Missiles hit Sarevok that he fell.
    edited October 2015
    Excellent to see that the Multiplayer idea is developing momentum.

Meanwhile I have a question, please HELP:

My party finally earned their first HLA and there seems to be an issue: at install (was it SCS or Tweaks?) I chose the "Mage/Cleric HLAs are one-use abilities instead of spells learned to cast". BUT after selecting any of them (Deva, Planetar, Comet etc.) I receive it neither as the ability nor as the spell; i.e. the HLA is basically wasted. (But if I pick the HLA for 'extra 6th level spell' that one does grant me the extra spell).

What is happening here? Is my install corrupt? What could be a work around? (I'd loathe to mess up my install as I have never been this far in a noreload game in years.)

Thanks in advance.
    @Ygramul: Are you looking for the spell among your innate abilities or by going to your spellbook? Because it won't show up in either of those places. It's an innate ability, but appears alongside your other spells, to the very right, when you click on the icon to select a spell to cast. This is to make it a once per day ability but not allowing you to cast it if you can't cast your normal spells.

So, if the highest-level mage spell you have memorized is Ruby Ray and your first HLA is Summon Deva, you can find Summon Deva by going to cast Ruby Ray: Summon Deva will be right next to it.

If it's not there at all, I don't know what went wrong, but you should be able to fix it with EEKeeper. Find the spell code (Summon Deva is SPPR726) and add it to your Cleric/Mage. It should be tagged as an "Innate" spell rather than a cleric spell. Bump up the number memorized to 1 and you should get it. Again, you select it from your list of already-memorized spells; it won't show up in your spellbook or among your other innates.

@Ygramul: Are you looking for the spell among your innate abilities or by going to your spellbook? Because it won't show up in either of those places. It's an innate ability, but appears alongside your other spells, to the very right, when you click on the icon to select a spell to cast. This is to make it a once per day ability but not allowing you to cast it if you can't cast your normal spells.

So, if the highest-level mage spell you have memorized is Ruby Ray and your first HLA is Summon Deva, you can find Summon Deva by going to cast Ruby Ray: Summon Deva will be right next to it.

If it's not there at all, I don't know what went wrong, but you should be able to fix it with EEKeeper. Find the spell code (Summon Deva is SPPR726) and add it to your Cleric/Mage. It should be tagged as an "Innate" spell rather than a cleric spell. Bump up the number memorized to 1 and you should get it. Again, you select it from your list of already-memorized spells; it won't show up in your spellbook or among your other innates.

Thanks, @semiticgod

This is very insightful.