Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Good job, I can only say that I'm very impressed. I always wanted to see how the demons can be used for the profit.

From your updates, am I right to assume that you, being protected from evil, can summon a demon next to still a neutral enemy and then this demon begins its attacks on that enemy, but no matter what the enemy doesn't turn red? If so, this is one of the best tactics ever.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited November 2015
    Tarvol's and Cuwaert's deeds won't be forgotten!
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2015
    bengoshi said:

Good job, I can only say that I'm very impressed. I always wanted to see how the demons can be used for the profit.

From your updates, am I right to assume that you, being protected from evil, can summon a demon next to still a neutral enemy and then this demon begins its attacks on that enemy, but no matter what the enemy doesn't turn red? If so, this is one of the best tactics ever.

I just tried this and, sadly, the enemies turned red.

Mencar Pebblecrusher, I hate that guy.
    sluckers said:

bengoshi said:

I just tried this and, sadly, the enemies turned red.

Mencar Pebblecrusher, I hate that guy.
    Interesting, because the screenshot @semiticgod posted showed a blue circle:

I decide to move on with the main quest. I've already hit the milestone I wanted, and now Meidao can cast Cacofiend as well. Turns out those Nabassus are very effective against mages.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @sluckers: You can in fact backstab with your bare hands, as I mentioned in another thread today. But the base damage is 1d2 and Strength bonuses to damage don't get multiplied by backstabs. Your best backstab would deal 30 damage with the Gauntlets of Crushing, or 40 if you also had Tenser's Transformation, not counting the STR bonus.

You've put a lot of thought into this character concept and I like it. Good points on the trap types; I hadn't considered that Prismatic Spray was a trap in two locations in SoA (slaver stockade and by the riddle bridge in the Unseeing Eye quest).

For what it's worth, Bounty Hunters still get excellent power output after level 21. They still have their normal traps, which will deal 4d8+5 damage, on top of their HLA traps.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Sigh. Seems I managed to lose my new character update. Regardless, here it is...

Quick version: SCS improved encounters are dropped in this install, as well as prebuffs. AI's still improved. I intend to go Avenger -> Fighter and have fun with fighter THAC0 + Avenger special forms. I need STR 17, and have to use the Violet Potion to achieve this dual with Avenger stat maximums.
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 7.55.08 AM_zps7a2xtsdz.jpg

Order of fights: Shoal, Melicamp (failed transformation), Bassilus
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.41.50 AM_zpsw4xts0un.jpeg

Ogrillons
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 10.45.50 AM_zps3jedj7v1.jpg

Tarnesh, Tenya (I messed up here... Hopefully no repercussions for the second Wisdom Tome?)
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 11.18.54 AM_zpsqvefabho.jpeg

Ulgoth's Beard for equipment, Hobgoblins, Neira
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.38.31 PM_zpsodgvxfzz.jpeg

Greywolf, people attacking the Dryad's Tree, Gnarl and Hairtooth (and Gnarl is apparently hungry...)
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 12.01.12 PM_zps87lg0xxb.jpeg

for this:
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 12.01.55 PM_zpszotfsglr.jpeg

Basilisks, Mutamin killed Korax, but I tagged Mutamin with a Miscast Magic, and I eventually won the melee. Southern basilisks granted level 7 and the Avenger power spike. 5 Web spells (3 used), and...
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.27.00 PM_zps2i1jmoed.jpeg

Behold your doom, mortals.
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.27.59 PM_zpsr9myniry.jpeg

Improved Invisibility and Sanctuary (I still don't know how this is in my Druid Spellbook; there's no mod that I can see that messes with druids at all. I'll run with it) allow safe passage against the kobolds. Mulahey.
    photo Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 1.38.31 PM_zpsodgvxfzz.jpeg

Amazons follow the same pattern, Web and Sword Spider Form. Nimbul is attacked under II, the poison kills him through his Stoneskins. Will finish clearing the Sirenes and Ankhegs fairly soon, level 7 right now.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2015
    Neverused said:

Quick version: SCS improved encounters are dropped in this install, as well as prebuffs. AI's still improved. I intend to go Avenger -> Fighter and have fun with fighter THAC0 + Avenger special forms. I need STR 17, and have to use the Violet Potion to achieve this dual with Avenger stat maximums

I did not know you could do it with a temporary stat point enhancing potion. I had to get the strength tome to dual. In bg2ee I dualed at 10-11ish but ran into a bug with hexxat dialogue that did not allow me to dual until I slept and went through the dialogue tree. I have a bug report somewhere on the forums in case you run into it.
    Avenger -> fighter dualclass is strong especially if you dual before the druid levelling speed flattens out.

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Yeah, sorry for the confusion. The lock requires a 24 to break, and assuming DUHM, a base 22 is necessary to get the STR tome. Warriors get achieve this by Giant Strength potions, Thieves can get it due to picking locks, but for Solo druids, mages, clerics, bards, the only method of access is by drinking the Violet potion at the carnival.
    Neverused said:

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. The lock requires a 24 to break, and assuming DUHM, a base 22 is necessary to get the STR tome. Warriors get achieve this by Giant Strength potions, Thieves can get it due to picking locks, but for Solo druids, mages, clerics, bards, the only method of access is by drinking the Violet potion at the carnival.

Just as this thread shows - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31270/interesting-discovery-its-not-possible-to-get-the-str-and-wis-tomes-from-catacombs#latest :)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Oh.... Very smart. I never thought of that (since I rarely go without a thief).
    I just started a new solo no-reload run with a blind Bounty Hunter. She has to use a rabbit familiar to explore the map.

I quit in the sewers below the Copper Coronet, when I decided her rabbit familiar's 30 stealth was failing too often for me to tolerate. Having a familiar scout around isn't much good if the familiar has to wait five rounds for every round it spends exploring, or else die when it runs into an enemy group.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2015
    @semiticgod When you play a blind thief, is there a way you give them permanent blindness?

I've been experimenting with a blind Yoshimo (RP justification: he's turning off his targetting computer/using the force/focusing on his Chi) to trapify enemies when they are in visual range. So far, however, I've not thought of any way to do so other than casting blindness on them, which last 2 hours and still requires a save.

Not seen any descriptions for all of these tricks I see in playthroughs around here (lightning wand, for example) but I figured them out by putting 2 and 2 together from the inventory and gameplay idiosyncrasies I've noticed over the past months. My understanding of these, however, is still rudimentary I think.

The blindness thing finally clicked when I tried to use farsight to extend the range of a skull trap (didn't work) to the described 60ft. (I think visual is 30ft) and I for some reason thought of Sil.
    @sluckers: EEKeeper can grant permanent blindness via the Effects tab. Here's an example from my Bounty Hunter.

Skull Trap is limited by the spell's range (which is shorter than that of most spells), not by visual range. To extend the range of Skull Trap, you'd have to edit the spell file directly; Farsight cannot help. I've also noticed Farsight can't extend the reach of Dimension Door, unless my tests were faulty somehow (it's been a while). Farsight also can't help blind characters use weapons or spells or items from further away, though it can help them walk to their targets.

I actually forgot my Kensai/Thief was named Sil. There have been like 50 characters with that name.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    BillyYank said:

A no-reload 4-character modded IWD run

Been meaning to ask: what mod set-up do you use with IWD?

Since I'm rather addicted to SCS and since IWD basically has nothing that compares to it, I never got around to playing through IWDEE yet. Vanilla seems no challenge after the Chain Contingencied & Spell Triggered spellcasters of BG2EE/SCS. Could really use some advice on how to make IWD fun again.
    @BillyYank: Good to see your group is going strong. I'm glad to see Color Spray is playing a role, and that you found the Snow Maiden's Reaver. It's not the strongest weapon in the game, and isn't much use against undead, but it's a really cool sword.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited November 2015
    I cast the color spray from a scroll. I have a terrible habit of keeping my consumables "until I need them" and ending the game with pile of wands and scrolls.

When I identified that sword I thought "where were you on my last play-through?" I had a half-orc fighter with mastery in bastard swords. I eventually had to switch over to longswords because I missed every random dropped bastard sword except the flaming one that appears instead of Reaver. Now with the mods I've got installed, Gudrun is specialized in "large swords" and can switch bastard swords from one to two handed.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Well done. An inspiring playthrough. Best of luck in the fights up ahead.