Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    So BG2 EE: Numbering off this site:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate_2:_NPC_Rundown#Wilson
    18 - Rasaad
    4 - Nalia
    21 - Hexxat
    16 - Edwin
    3 - Aerie

I'll drop Imoen in Irenicus's Dungeon and solo my way out.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I can't imagine that squad is going to last long; are you running a mod that prevents party conflict? I know at least Aerie and Hexxat go at it, and having three good and two evil seems like another fight is likely to brew. Besides that, fairly solid team, except for the severe lack of anything resembling a front line until Rasaad gets fairly high up.
    @Neverused I imagine the party will implode at some point. :) I expect it. That is what came up though.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited October 2015
    I'm very interested in that multiplayer project of yours guys, if you care to tell its tale that is.
    A micromanaged thief (or fighter/thief since you're going scs) can do work mid saga and hold his own early and late.
    An Inquisitor or a revised druid (but I don't see that component) can make excellent and useful front liners.
    Arcane Casters are strongest later (specifically mages or fighter mages) but may I advise sorcerer to reduce resting.
    Divine casters have the life saving chaotic commands and an easy time protecting against fire for fireball madness. Since it would be a no reload run, resurrecting is important.

Not sure how much caster level is important (single or multi classed casters) to avoid protection dispelling.
    Post edited by Meyahi on
    edited October 2015
    I'm decent at playing any thief class and passable at any cleric multi.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

And apparently the Ring of Free Action no longer blocks Power Word: Stun, either, or even normal stun. Nor does a Potion of Freedom; I nearly died when a Mind Flayer stunned me earlier on.

So when a Glabrezu hit me with Power Word: Stun, Irenicus' Planetar rushed in and took us down in four hits. Unfortunately, he failed on each hit to dispel the stun effect.

This bothers me immensely: What protects against stun consistently?

I think Chaotic Commands does. But it can be dispelled.

I thought the FixPack made the Ring of Free Action protect against Stun and that the FixPack was incorporated into EE. Is that not true?

[NOTE: This is a bit academic for my run though. For some reason, I haven't found any Ring of Free Action yet. I'm refusing to look up where it may be.]

Keldorn, my front liner, got killed to Stuns so many times, I lost count. (My current Dragon Disciple *always* runs under Chaotic Commands -- but there is not enough spells to cover both her and my melee line.)

I handled the Illithids and Demon Knights basically by emptying the Staves of Fire and Earth of elemental summoning charges on them -- and Keldorn and Jaheira still got cut down consistently! (I gave Imoen the other Chaotic Commands and Improved Haste: she can do immense damage that way [she is a FM in my run].)

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Ygramul: I understand the FixPack did grant stun immunity to the ring, but apparently that part of it wasn't brought into EE, unless SCS or BP has removed it from the Ring of Free Action in my install.

Chaotic Commands blocks both stun and PW: Stun (they use two different opcodes). So do Barbarian and Berserker rage. The Slayer weapon can also protect against it, but the weapon won't persist indefinitely with Ascension installed. Otherwise, your options are limited. A save vs. spell can block virtually any hostile source of stun (the sole exception I think is the Wand of Paralyzation, which nobody uses on you), while magic resistance and spell protections can block PW: Stun. But MR and spell protections usually can't block stun, and a save vs. spell can never block PW: Stun. Also, the Shield of Reflection will bounce Kuo-toa Bolts, Paralytic Bolts, and Drow Bolts of Stunning, all of which use the stun opcode.

Glabrezus spam PW: Stun all the time, and SCS spellcasters summon them with great frequency, and often use the spell themselves. @Alesia_BH has rightly named it a prominent cause of death in solo no-reload runs. Minor Spell Deflection is a common and cheap way to block it and similar spells (but don't rely on MSD for everything; it won't block Maze or PW: Kill).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2015
    @GemHound

I think you also forgot

Monday: GMT 00:00 - 08:00
    Tuesday: GMT 00:00 - 08:00
    Wednesday: GMT 00:00 - 08:00
    Thursday: GMT 00:00 - 08:00
    Friday: GMT 00:00 - 08:00

People do need sleep, you know?;)

Congratulations to Valkalyn! Baeloth just proved that he's indeed one of the most powerful mages in Faerun.

Good luck in Amn!
    Meyahi said:

a revised druid (but I don't see that compenent) can make excellent and useful front liners

Yeah, I think that the shapeshifting component changes too much, it may be a bad thing considering not all the players are used to the SCS mod.

Also, nice to see the idea is quite popular. I didn't expect it, to be honest ;)
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi ahh sleeping times. I didn't include those.
    General offline times:
    Monday: GMT 09:00 - 17:00, 21:00 - 00:00
    Tuesday: GMT 09:00 - 17:00, 19:00 - 00:00
    Wednesday: GMT 00:00 - 01:00, 09:00 - 17:00
    Thursday: GMT 09:00 - 17:00, 23:00 - 00:00
    Friday: GMT 00:00 - 01:00, 09:00 - 17:00
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited October 2015
    So, from the combined information from me and GemHound it looks like these are possible online times:

Monday: GMT 17:00-21:00
    Tuesday: GMT 17:00-19:00
    Wednesday: GMT 17:00-24:00
    Thursday: GMT 17:00-23:00
    Friday: GMT 17:00-24:00

BTW, to understand the time zones better, I use this site: http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc
    How do they fit for others?
    edited October 2015
    Any of those Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Friday times up until GMT 20:00 should work.

Edit: Hymn, 2nd and final update
    And Hymn met his end at the hands of a certain Ogre mage named Khark; Sirius, Quill, and Sapphire had all died, so I had Hymn use a charge of the Wand of Summon Monsters, breaking invisibility. Two high rolls later, and Hymn was dead.

The entire fight, lasting over 2 turns at least, had Khark with Haste as a prebuff active throughout the fight, with no secondary activation. This implies that either the Haste prebuff is broken, or that Khark is a level 17 mage, which I doubt. If the haste effect had ever disappeared, I could've successfully kited him, but as it is... Ah well. Things to know for future runs.
    Post edited by Neverused on
    @Neverused The Haste prebuff on Kahrk lasts 2 hours, just like the potion.
    Cernd will wait and challenge Faldorn.
    I don't know about Tor'Gal he never seemed that hard to me...
    edited October 2015
    @Meyahi The ability drain plus imp haste with his two minions, high magic resistance and low THAC0 make him difficult in my eyes when you have no fighters. :smiley:
    The best way to reduce magic resistance is to have a low level or multiclassed (Aerie) caster with the magic resistance spell. Then you can reduce it to nothing easily.
    Doom+greater malison ensure that you can easily use crowd control spells.
    From there it is a piece of cake.
    You do have a 5man party (without a STR belt and levels Rasaad is useless until the later stages of the game) but 3 spells per round and 2 backstabbers should be enough. Too bad you only have Aerie which is a multiclass since barkskin can become one hell of a buff for monks.
    To make a pseudo tank, take you highest hp mage, buff her (since it is Nalia) and pool your best items; she should be fine. Just keep recasting iron skins.

PS: when Edwin will be Edwina, Rasaad will have his own harem gender bender included.
    RIP Valkalyn the pure thief without even shorty saves.
    Not having free action on your Charname is a big nono since (not sure if SCS) a stunned/held character is usually doomed unless you:
    1.Dispell immediately
    2.Fire all you crowd control spells (especially if Charname is in danger)
    3.Have an invis spell handy (this is very shaky with true sight et all)
    4.Have a defensive contigency
    edited October 2015
    @Meyahi
    1. No dispels were remaining except 1 scroll in a scroll case on Valkalyn
    2. Fire your crowd control spells - exactly what I did
    3. She literally disintegrated before one spell could get cast. Aerie is casting cure serious wounds, while I had Nalia run forward and try to cast improved invisibility on Valkalyn.
    4. Didn't have access to level 6 spells
    Condolences, GemHound. Was a Minor Sequencer a possibility by anyone? One with Invisibility in it can be a lifesaver.
    edited October 2015
    @Neverused If I had thought to memorize one. Edit: I just looked through my spellbooks pre-battle and there are no sequencers that can be memorized, only contingency is known for those types of spells, yet it can't be cast.
    Iirc you can buy a minor spell sequencer after Chateau Irenicus and since invisibility is a lvl2 spell you can put it in an MSS.
    edited October 2015
    @Meyahi Well, I learned something new. Is it the merchant at the back of the Adventurer's Market? Just so everyone knows, I have only played BG2EE twice and BG2 about 6 times throughout the past. :) Unlike BG1EE which is 7 times... and BG1 is undefined.... So I think I got pretty far for the first time doing a no reload run of BG2. Edit: I'm not even sad, I think I did really well. Well regardless, the next plan after the Druid Grove was to give Aerie the belt of Hill giant strength and go after the Unseeing eye since she would then be able to equip the shield of Balduran.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Another Charname died before I posted about her. It was a Shadowdancer. She got boxed in by Giant Rats and was using HiPS to cut them down quickly. Then, she got hit by Secret Word. Apparently a Domination spell was on its way in the fraction of a second during which she was visible, and with a save vs. spell at 1 and her Potion of Clarity long since worn off, she failed her save against the odds.

SCS vampires' domination spells appear to have a 0 casting time, which means our only defense against it before Use Any Item would have been Adjatha the Drinker, which blocks charm and domination. Adjatha is probably a necessity for a solo no-reload thief against SCS vampires, since Potions of Clarity are limited and will run out if you rely on hit and fade tactics. But you get Adjatha from the Warden in the Planar Prison, who can see through invisibility and has a lot of Power Word spells to use against you, so getting that immunity is itself risky.

Having used a blind thief and a Shadowdancer, they seem to be fairly equal. A blind thief gets traps; a Shadowdancer gets missile weapons, better AC and THAC0, and Shadowstep. They can't really accomplish the same things offensively, but both of them are extremely difficult to harm. Even in ToB, only a handful of enemies can see through invisibility. As we saw in Imber's run, Sendai was stumped by Potions of Invisibility.

A Shadowdancer can make a very excellent defensive build. Aside from perpetual invisibility via HiPS, Shadowstep is a great escape option, particularly since it refreshes your stealth timer. The Time Stop effect allows you to slip away not just from enemies, but even incoming spells.

And apparently it lasts during area transitions. I didn't think that was possible. You can leave an area during Shadowstep and it will still be in effect when you enter the next one--unless there's a cutscene, it seems. Plus, if there's a traveling period (a 10-hour journey), you can attack and use spells when you arrive for the remainder of the Shadowstep, though I don't see quite that many ways to make much use of it. And since Shadowstep uses the same opcode as Time Stop, you can chain-cast them to help wait out enemy buffs, like Protection from Magic Weapons, and unlike waiting out buffs using HiPS, it works for the whole party, and against enemies who can see through invisibility.
    Take my condolences, @Jared4242 and @GemHound ! It's never easy to start again.

BTW, there was a talk about ways to make screenshots easier to upload for this kind of threads. Have a look here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44455/theres-a-way-to-always-make-screenshots-in-the-jpeg-format-right-off?new=1 ;)
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi thanks! Lots of the times I would get delayed half an hour after I had finished writing the updates for the pictures to upload. I would normally have to start the uploading before I started to write my post, this will be much much quicker. :smiley:

Anyways, I already have continued on with another character, though I'm not doing a no reload with her. Just a solo run through BG2:EE which is at 1 reload so far(due to a mistake that would have broken multiple quests). I have been avoiding mages as of yet due to being unable to dispel their protections.
    This one:

She's emptied the de'Arnise Hold and used a summoned Efreeti to kill Tor'Gal. The Efreeti cast spells while she kept Tor'Gal's attention. She managed to even slip a backstab in when Tor'Gal focused on the Efreeti. She also manually killed the Umber Hulks due to wearing Aeger's Hide. She's freed the slaves of the slums district, and found out what happened to Montaron. She has yet to even attempt to go after the cowled wizard Edwin wants her to kill though. She is on her way now to finish investigating the Skinner Murders.

Edit: Well that was interesting. A bone golem was at the bottom, well I can tell you that Victasaadi had lots of fun dodging it and the two twisted rune assassins. All but the bone golem fell, and well, the bone golem didn't fall because she couldn't really do much to it so there is still a bone golem at the bottom of Rejiek's tannery. She killed everyone else though.
    Post edited by GemHound on
    edited October 2015
    Wow. I just had thugs that seemed more knowledgeable than humans are. I went into the Shadow Thieves Guildhall being chased by thugs and they didn't follow. I appeared on the other end of the docks a couple of hours later and went into the barracks...

The thugs opened the door to the Guard barracks and entered from the other side, and went through the door to the area I was in just to resume their assault upon me. O_O talk about single-minded homing thieves. I beat them but seriously, they shouldn't be able to track that well.

Edit: She did pay the shadow thieves though and got her thieves guild up and running.
    Post edited by GemHound on