Skip to content

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I dunno, I haven't got that far yet.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    *Tresset decides to make a dumb play on words joke*

Kiser is icky! He's a greedy, self-serving weasel who would sell his own mother if the price was right.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Kissing is one of those things that I wonder if people do because we are culturally conditioned to think that it is what we should do in a romantic relationship. I wonder if people from the future will observe and say, "well I am glad that kissing fad is over, it was so unhygenic!".

That said, I remember being a teenager and being self-conscious that I might not know "how to" kiss. When I actually got a girlfriend, it just happened very naturally, like what people say about how you never forget how to ride a bike, except you didn't even need to learn it in the frist place. That makes me think that kissing perhaps goes deeper than a cultural phenomenon, and is probably instinctive as well.

Regardless, I prefer cuddles. :smiley:
    Heindrich said:

That makes me think that kissing perhaps goes deeper than a cultural phenomenon, and is probably instinctive as well.

Scientists believe that it is an evolutionary leftover from when early humans would share their food with their mates... The sharing food part went away but the associated pleasurable bonding sensation appears to have stayed... Isn't science fun?!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Aw, I love kissing. ^_^ Not just on the lips, but on the cheek, the head, the neck, the hand, even the eyelids, and especially the nose! XD It was tricky at first, but the sweetie and I have had lost of practice over our six years of togetherness.

But it's really important to only kiss the people you love, or people who want to be kissed. If a kiss is unexpected or unwanted, it can turn a very beautiful display of love into something awkward at best and ugly at worst.

So like many others have said, it just depends on who you kiss. ;)
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Face-eating is definitely not a comfortable thing. It is pretty disgusting, actually. Makes me wonder why no one thought to tell them how terrible at kissing they are...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Tresset said:

Heindrich said:

That makes me think that kissing perhaps goes deeper than a cultural phenomenon, and is probably instinctive as well.

Scientists believe that it is an evolutionary leftover from when early humans would share their food with their mates... The sharing food part went away but the associated pleasurable bonding sensation appears to have stayed... Isn't science fun?!
    I don't have an article link lying around, but there's supposedly several physical and even mental health benefits to kissing according to scientists. Then again, science is full of rubbish and claims all kinds of things all the time, but I wouldn't file this under "seems unlikely" personally.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Heindrich said:

Kissing is one of those things that I wonder if people do because we are culturally conditioned to think that it is what we should do in a romantic relationship. I wonder if people from the future will observe and say, "well I am glad that kissing fad is over, it was so unhygenic!".

I seriously doubt this. According to Wikipedia kissing is mentioned in some of the earliest written manuscripts we have! across many cultures. And if the "kiss feeding" idea has any merit than it must be an instinctual behavior going back millions of years.

No that that has been said, @typo_tilly what exactly makes kissing gross to you? Is it germs, or something else?
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited March 2015
    I said no, because a good snog is just the best. But yes, it helps if you're in sync with the person you're kissing.

Tresset said:

Heindrich said:

I don't have an article link lying around, but there's supposedly several physical and even mental health benefits to kissing according to scientists. Then again, science is full of rubbish and claims all kinds of things all the time, but I wouldn't file this under "seems unlikely" personally.
    o.0

Eh? How rude! What I said was just a theory... but it seems reasonable enough to me... You do realize I am a bit of a scientist myself, right? I am also something of a savant. If you want me to drop a link every time I share pieces of knowledge I have learned ages ago or that I have learned by my own observations and experimentation, I can guarantee you that you will be disappointed because that will not happen. I am not about to research things I already know just to prove a point. You don't want to believe me, fine, Join the club. I know what I know and I have no need to prove myself to you.

*ahem* But I derail... There are indeed, quite obviously, many physical and mental health benefits to kissing... I can only assume that these benefits have evolved over time. What I was speaking of was how the behavior originated and what it is initially useful for, not what it has become and what it is useful for now. Unless you suggest that early humans just spontaneously started kissing for no reason and it felt good... Now THAT really sounds like "rubbish". There HAD to be REASON this behavior was useful when it first started... A reason this behavior initially provided an advantage that was selected for, a reason this behavior evolved to be pleasurable and beneficial. The rest of the benefits follow this reason. This is how evolution works. I suggested a reason that I had heard suggested before. My suggestion of kissing originating as a method of sharing food with mates makes a great deal of sense to a zoologist such as myself. Even today, many of the great apes still do this very thing. To me it "seems unlikely" that this behavior originated as anything else.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Tresset said:

o.0

Eh? How rude! What I said was just a theory... but it seems reasonable enough to me... You do realize I am a bit of a scientist myself, right? I am also something of a savant. If you want me to drop a link every time I share pieces of knowledge I have learned ages ago or that I have learned by my own observations and experimentation, I can guarantee you that you will be disappointed because that will not happen. I am not about to research things I already know just to prove a point. You don't want to believe me, fine, Join the club. I know what I know and I have no need to prove myself to you.

*ahem* But I derail... There are indeed, quite obviously, many physical and mental health benefits to kissing... I can only assume that these benefits have evolved over time. What I was speaking of was how the behavior originated and what it is initially useful for, not what it has become and what it is useful for now. Unless you suggest that early humans just spontaneously started kissing for no reason and it felt good... Now THAT really sounds like "rubbish". There HAD to be REASON this behavior was useful when it first started... A reason this behavior initially provided an advantage that was selected for, a reason this behavior evolved to be pleasurable and beneficial. The rest of the benefits follow this reason. This is how evolution works. I suggested a reason that I had heard suggested before. My suggestion of kissing originating as a method of sharing food with mates makes a great deal of sense to a zoologist such as myself. Even today, many of the great apes still do this very thing. To me it "seems unlikely" that this behavior originated as anything else.

You're overreacting and taking offense when there's nothing to be offended by. I suppose it's my fault for quoting in the first place which wasn't really neccessary since I wasn't referring to either poster. I'll clarify what I meant:

Science suggests kissing is positive for both mental and physical health.

I can't actually link to the article where I read the short list of said benefits unfortunately, as I don't remember which site I read it on and it'd be in Norwegian anyway. (often when you post "scientific facts" on the internet people demand "proof", so I stated up-front that I don't have this on hand to avoid thread derailment)

Of course this can be taken with a grain of salt since scientists keep contradicting and arguing with each other, but I nonetheless think it sounds reasonable.

That's all I meant to say. I wasn't really spesifically replying to you or Heindrich, I guess the word "science" just flagged what I remembered on the subject and so I hit the quote button, trimmed the posts and replied. I didn't give much thought to it. So I apologize you took offense Tresset. Really. I'll take much greater care when I'm quoting anyone here in the future.
    edited March 2015
    @Silverstar No worries, after a second look I kinda realized I misunderstood and overreacted... I apologize as well. I should not have taken offense. Carry on as usual. Don't mind me.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited March 2015

It is wet and makes shlopping noises. :|

That's the best part.
    On a serious note, the only kissing that weirds me out is the cheek kiss. I don't know who decided this was a way to say 'hi' even to people you don't know all that well, but it's awkward. Whenever a woman offers me her cheek I want to say 'nuh-uh' but I don't know how without piling on the awkward. :/
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I've refused cheek kisses before, it was when i was young so I got away with it. My parent's friends in france realised it wasn't something my brothers and I would do and just went with a hug instead.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Anduin said:

If you are posh in Britain you air kiss just beside each cheek and make a mooaa noise.

Not entirely sure why but I believe it is something to do with antimatter and camels.

. . .

He's onto us.
    Anduin said:

If you are posh in Britain you air kiss just beside each cheek and make a mooaa noise.

Not entirely sure why but I believe it is something to do with antimatter and camels.

Did I miss something or is this just a very bizarre non sequitur?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934

Tresset said:

Heindrich said:

The media is full of rubbish, not science. Science claims nothing until there is solid proof.
    To a Gourami a 'kiss' is an act of war!
    No... the 'kissing' IS the fight!