Skip to content

Influential childhood books

2»

Comments

• baby_bamfbaby_bamf Member Posts: 12
    The first book I ever remember reading was Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes from Eleanor Coerr. It's was the first book to ever break my heart. It got me into reading realistic books. The books that lead me to fantasy was the deltora Quest series by Emily Rodda. Both had an impact on me. Sadako showed the realities of the world while Deltora let me escape into a completely different one. Now I mostly read Marvel comics. Wolverine and the X-Men V1&2 and Nightcrawler V2&3 being my favorite.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Im pretty sure my first adventure series started with Prince Valiant.

@dunbar I almost forgot about this 1 "Wind in the Willows" what year was this?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited May 2015
    @Dungeonnoob 1908, which makes it a worthy "classic" I believe.

Which begs the question: Which of todays children's/young adults books will, or should, be still around (in whatever format) in 100 years time?
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    @kiwidoc In case you didn't know, there is a documentary about what if. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/?ref_=nv_sr_2
    Personally I think for that time it would be absolutely mind blowing.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    Black Beauty, The Secret of NIMH, So You Want To Be A Wizard, the Emily series (LM Montgomery), the Little House on the Prairie books, The Secret Garden, and Heidi were my influences.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I was in Borders this past weekend and saw that they are re-releasing some of Michael Moorcock's Eternal champion novels. I've read the Elric series, but surprisingly none of the others. I might just have to go back and pick them up.
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2015
    My father and I read the Iliad and the Odyssey when I was 5. Man I was rooting for Troy so bad, and yet my dad played it straight and gave no indication of what was to come. I squeed a bit when Achilles got what was coming to him.

Also for my 5th bday a friend gave me a copy of a book called "Tintin - The Blue Lotus," which had me hooked. I got the prequel "Cigars of the Pharoah" plus another from the local Carnegie library and I was very much in. From there I collected them all (and then some as they wore out). Miniatures from the 80s etc too.

My sister had a copy of "Asterix & the Chieftain's Shield" she had brought back from France, and at age 6? I went through that for the pics (I didn't read French). Then I saw some in English at the store and was hooked on that too (also have all those and then some).
    Post edited by Adso on
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    Fantasy wise, St. George and the Dragon as retold by Margaret Hodges, illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman really cemented my interest.

look familiar?

and it's still for sale:
    http://www.amazon.com/Saint-George-Dragon-Margaret-Hodges/dp/0316367958/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338485593&sr=8-1#_
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I was in Borders this past weekend

BORDERS STILL EXISTS!?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @the-spyder Re. Moorcock, I can thoroughly recommend the Chronicles of Corum (a bit of Celtic myth thrown in) and the Hawkmoon books (The Jewel in the Skull etc.).
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Books from:
    Jules Verne for sure
    Jack London
    Michael Ende
    Arthur C. Clarke
    Isaac Asimov
    Frank Herbert
    Gerald Durrell

and:
    Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone
    Tolkien
    Salvatore

amongst others.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited February 2016
    My favorite book from my childhood was "Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest." It was a book about superlatives in nature. It compared the highest and deepest places to the Empire State Building to show how much taller/deeper they were (when the book was written, the Burj Khalifa hadn't been built yet so the Empire State Building was still the big thing).
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I can't remember the very first book I read, but cloudy with a chance of meat balls help develope my dreamscape mind.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I re-read Roald Dahl's Matilda and Jane Yolen's Dragon's Blood over and over again when I was little. I also read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at age 8 and barely understood a word, but I still loved it. Goosebumps and Animorphs, too.

I can see the influence of some of these in my current writing. The warm and fuzzy relationship between Miss Honey and Matilda. The rich imagery in Dragon's Blood. Also, giant squid. These sorts of things tend to pop up in my work.

I learned to read from Green Eggs and Ham. I think that's where I got my affection for strictly metrical poetry. You normally think of Seuss' writing as running wild and free, but his meter was always very precise.