Skip to content

Who's Idea was it to place a Iron Golem and Clay Golems in the corridor?

VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
Curse you Lord Jierdan Firkraag! Seriously... i want to know from the designers, why he or she had to place such a powerful iron golem and clay golems in the corridor blocking my path?

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Why doesn't your CHARNAME have a face??????
    Also those golem's are no big deal,
    they all die to like +2 crushing weapons, the iron one might need a +3.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    The same ones that put a number of the Iron Golems in a position where you could attack them from range (because they couldn't fit through certain map locations).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Admittedly, the choke points in Suldamessellar are less glaringly obvious. I suspect the golems here were intended to be fought head-on, as by that point it's feasible to do so. Other than that, though, I agree that the choke point placement seems pretty intentional.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I don't know I always thought the vampires in the other room was more dangerous than that Golem.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Sorry for being off topic, but I agree with @SmilingSword that a charname without a face is oddly disturbing.

You can hit the golem with Lilacor or the Staff +3 found in the druid grove. I know it's cheesy to kill it behind the minor entrance, but it is up to us to do it or not. I usually do it because I don't wanna have to rest after defeating the golems, since there'll be so many battles ahead in Firkraag's dungeon.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I must always do that dungeon at a lower level, because I don't recall ever running into any golems in the hallway there. There's plenty of other nasties though.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Theres no portrait that can describe my neutral good fighter protagonist. But once i play through the EE series again as the Blackguard. I'll be using this Neverwinter Nights Shadows of Undrentide portrait.

Back on topic, Whats a pain right now is the poison and being slowed down by the Iron Golem.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Well, it was definitely someone's idea.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Vasculio This thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/39884/iron-golems has a lot of good advice on fighting golems.
    Thanks Bengoshi
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

The golems must've ripped it off.

The golems must've ripped it off.
    Darnit... you weren't suppose to spoil that!

That sounds extraordinarily painful.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Jarrakul said:

That sounds extraordinarily painful.

Faerûnian face lifts are always painful.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited May 2015
    Whose idea was it to place the golems in the corridor?

When in doubt, blame the gnome.

Edit: damn autocorrect.
    Post edited by deltago on
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Well you're obviously using the wrong tactics in that area. Those golems are pretty easy to take out if you keep your distance, as they can't fit through the door there. Just stand back in that outside room and take them out with ranged weapons. It may take some time, but you should be able to do it without even suffering a scratch. It's foolish to just run in there like that character has.
    Unless you don't have any ranged weapons that can hurt iron golems, which is very possible.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2015
    A scroll of protection from poison or ring of anti venom/periapt of poison protection nullifies the poison cloud. Even with a save vs poison of 1 you still get poisoned, that poison is something horrid!

A potion of absorbtion will give +10 ac vs golem punches. If you already have decent ac like -10 or so, and with girdle of bluntness for extra +4 ac, you may tank golems for more than a few rounds. Do not wear chainmail as the chain links will press against your flesh and hurt you (hence chain is bad vs crushing)

Free action or oil of speed is good for golem slow, however I think iron golems can't slow, but clay golems can. Or was it a stone golem ability?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I usually save Potions of Absorption for bigger fights. In vanilla, all the enemies in the last battle in Hell use blunt weapons, and a Potion of Absorption will make virtually any character almost invincible. Crushing damage appears to be common among demons.

Unfortunately, Fire Giants in vanilla only use slashing damage, even when they're wielding hammers.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Stone golems have the slow ability while clay golems have haste.
    Jarrakul said:

Unless you don't have any ranged weapons that can hurt iron golems, which is very possible.

Not if you have a well prepared party. All you need is some +2 ammo, which is available in many shops in the game.

I normally sell all of my +2 ammo. Or save exactly one stack, in case I ever need to use it, and then never, ever use it for the rest of the game.
    Also, don't iron golems need +3 weapons? +3 ranged weapons are dramatically harder to come by than +2. Still not too difficult if you're prepared, but that's not a trivial "if".
    Jarrakul said:

Also, don't iron golems need +3 weapons? +3 ranged weapons are dramatically harder to come by than +2. Still not too difficult if you're prepared, but that's not a trivial "if".

Then take out all the Clay Golems first so all that's left to deal with is the Iron one. That will make things a lot easier.

Take out the clay golems with ranged weapons? The stone golems, sure, but that's not gonna work so well against the clay ones. Besides, the iron golem is the problem. The rest are relatively easy to deal with.
    @Jarrakul: The Dwarven Thrower should work on the clay golems. And Minute Meteors in vanilla use crushing damage, interestingly enough. And I heard there's a throwing hammer called the Brick or something in EE. But that's about it, for killing Clay Golems with ranged weapons, unless you're using an Archer's STR drain ability.