Skip to content

Who else hates cheese?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Jarrakul: Or just spam them with Fireballs. It has been noted that Beholders have no real defenses. Between a mage and an Efreeti, you can slay a pack of Beholders in a couple rounds or so. Still not foolproof, but fairly reliable.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @subtledoctor. Exactly. There are times in the game when I come up against something I can't deal with but want to proceed further, so I will use cheese. But then, with that save in the bag, I'll go back and replay that encounter until I work out how to deal with it (or realise that I'm just not up to it yet) - which for me is much more satisfying. But as you say, when faced with a whole horde of Beholders it's just so much quicker to grab the Shield of Contention (even though you know you could do it the hard way).

Basically I think we're all saying pretty much the same thing:
    There are all kinds of different cheeses; hard cheese, soft cheese, smelly cheese (you name it) and some people don't like cheese at all, but at the end of the day it's all down to personal taste.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @Arunson, I've used that tactic. It doesn't really strike me as any less cheesy than the Shield of Balduran. That's subjective, obviously, but it renders them just as defenseless with a similarly low investment of resources.

@semiticgod, I'm very used to killing beholders quickly. But given that they fire off their eye rays upwards of 1/second, killing them in a couple rounds isn't really sufficient to overcome the massive RNG issues. Especially over the course of an entire dungeon, like the one in the underdark.

@subtledoctor, I basically agree with your assessment, but I should note that if the original devs had instead implemented the antimagic eye the way it works in PnP, they could have avoided the problem. The eye is supposed to suppress, not dispel, all magic in the area (including magic items and summoned creatures), and it's supposed to render the targets immune to magic as well. It's also supposed to be a cone instead of single-target, but that's not the really important difference, imo. Implement the antimagic eye as in PnP, then add in some weaker monsters as slaves to the beholders, and we could end up with some very interesting fights. Instead we're stuck with either cheese or RNG.

Anyway, my issue here isn't with being judged or anything. It's with my dissatisfaction with how beholder fights go. There's nothing interesting. Either you hit them with everything you have and hope they die before they petrify someone important, or you send one character forward with the Shield of Balduran (or do something else functionally equivalent) and they're totally pointless.
    edited May 2015
    @subtledoctor: "So now the devs say to themselves, "well we've made beholders easy, I guess the thing to do is add lots and lots and lots of them.""

Those hordes of Beholders existed before the Shield of Balduran was added to the game. The latter couldn't have caused the former, because the former predated the latter.

I think the reason they added so many Beholders was because adding the classic DnD monsters--dragons, orcs, beholders, vampires, etc.--was one of the goals of BG2, since BG1 didn't have any (somebody posted a link where a dev was explaining their plans for BG2, but I don't have it on me). I also saw some preliminary screenshots of BG2 as it was in progress, and many of them had Beholders all over the place, even in the graveyard. The Beholders are there in big numbers because the devs thought they were cool and new. The SOB was added later to fix (or eliminate) the difficulty problem.

EDIT: @Jarrakul, have you tried having Arkanis Gath join your party? I'm sure he could take care of your Beholder problems.
    I'm sure he could. Somehow, that seems even less sporting. :P
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    .@subtledoctor makes a great point: you don't actually have to fight any beholders to beat the game (except possibly in the final battle?), and you get an autokill button for the only one you need to fight in the Unseeing Eye quest. Since such fearsome monsters can't see through invisibility, sneaking past them is really the only reasonable solution until you're at a super high level.
  • datrandomguydatrandomguy Member Posts: 11
    the only beholder that really makes me go crazy is gauth with its infinite heavy wound/hold spam,all the otheres are just average mages who die rapidly to invisible wiltering/deathcloud or just invisible Berserker mage clobbering them
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    The best beholder has to be the spectator in the sahuagin city. he's the one that makes beholders come alive in the game for me.
    edited May 2015
    wubble said:

The best beholder has to be the spectator in the sahuagin city. he's the one that makes beholders come alive in the game for me.

thats hard to argue against since he is the only beholder in the game that actually bothers talking to you before going spellspam mode XD
    edit:i dont Count unseeing eye cuz no choosable Response possible
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    He's also a legend.
    joluv said:

.@subtledoctor makes a great point: you don't actually have to fight any beholders to beat the game (except possibly in the final battle?), and you get an autokill button for the only one you need to fight in the Unseeing Eye quest. Since such fearsome monsters can't see through invisibility, sneaking past them is really the only reasonable solution until you're at a super high level.

The one in the final battle is from a mod, I'm pretty sure. You do have to kill a beholder as part of the drow city questline, though. Not the elder orb, but the one Phaere thinks is an elder orb. Technically that's still avoidable, and there's only one of it anyway, so it's not such a big deal.
    Jarrakul said:

joluv said:

The one in the final battle is from a mod, I'm pretty sure. You do have to kill a beholder as part of the drow city questline, though. Not the elder orb, but the one Phaere thinks is an elder orb. Technically that's still avoidable, and there's only one of it anyway, so it's not such a big deal.
    original bg2 soa end fight only had irenicus and 4pit fiends,it actually felt harder than ee cuz irenicus as slayer would actually melee and hit pretty hard(or i just had luck that he kept spamming spells)
    Really? I very clearly remember 2 balors and 2 glabrezu in that fight, same as in EE. It was weird because the balors looked like pit fiends and the glabrezu looked like balors, but I don't think the glabrezu model was added to BG2 until TOB.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@wraith5641 There is an exploit in the old game that allows you to summon more than one by abusing Project Image. I think this has been fixed in the EE versions.

Nah it still works.
    edited May 2015
    Jarrakul said:

Really? I very clearly remember 2 balors and 2 glabrezu in that fight, same as in EE. It was weird because the balors looked like pit fiends and the glabrezu looked like balors, but I don't think the glabrezu model was added to BG2 until TOB.

in the Version that i have they didnt include different models for balor baatezu and glabrezu,so they all looked the same,except in ToB,maybe they added them on a patch that i never got (i didnt have a Network Connection back then)
    was pretty funny tho to call a pack of pit fiends and buffing them with protect from evil before letting irenicus in
    demonic all out brawl start
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    I dont play with haste, find it too cheese and game much funner without it
  • aj_aj_ Member Posts: 9
    Guys, I'm not telling you how you should play the game, I'm just trying to open some folks' eyes because it seems there are many players who don't even realize that some things in this game are not sensible (ie. Project Image); the post was not meant for cheese connoisseurs. Also, self-gimping can at times be a bit of a tough pill to swallow, and knowing there are many like-minded individuals out there makes it easier.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Arunsun said:

No it is not fixed but I can hardly imagine how would a sorceror do BP2 drow fight without summoning more than one planetar though :)

Do you mean as a solo? Because I can name a few tactics.. :hushed:
  • aj_aj_ Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2015
    @semiticgod, I didn't change my mind. Maybe I worded it wrong, but when I said that everyone seems to be fine with the extreme cheese, I didn't mean that I thought they were all purposely cheesing the game. I have recently returned to BG2 after many years because of the EE, and I'm amazed at how matter-of-factly these tactics are discussed, leading me to think that many players don't even realize that many illusion spells (for instance) make the game artificially easy. That's why I made this post.

I'll be more careful in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor: I think it's worked out okay. @aj_ and I made some statements and then softened or clarified them in later posts, which I feel is appropriate and maintains a respectful environment (and I think it's worth pointing out that @aj_ did so before I did). I've seen good conversations turn into pointless arguments, but we've avoided that.

Still. My apologies for being less gentle than I could have been. I don't want to poison the atmosphere. Thank you for pointing this out--these reminders are always constructive.

Looking back at my second post, and @subtledoctor's, I think my quoting @aj_ was a little aggressive, unlike your quoting. Maybe it's best to only quote somebody if you're defending them--from what I've seen, quoting in order to criticize marks the descent of a discussion into a rhetorical fight. I'll back out of this and let the thread continue uninterrupted.
  • NoQuittNoQuitt Member Posts: 10

Installing SCS2 will ameliorate some "cheese" problems by improving enemy AI. SCS2 lets Beholders eventually try to snatch the Shield of Balduran or Cloak of Mirroring from your possession when they notice their rays aren't working, Liches will dispel Protection from Undead, mages will dispel Protection from Magic with Spellstrike, and in general prevents simple strategies from working reliably.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts of what you guys find cheesy in this context. For those of you that are playing with SCS, what do you find cheesy?

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited May 2015
    Edit: Deleted because @Jarrakul is right.
    Post edited by joluv on
    Guys, can we not? It's clear we all agree that being judgmental about other people's playstyles is bad, and both sides have admitted to saying things that came across as stronger than they had intended. Let's not beat the dead horse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.