Skip to content

Why Minsc is so popular?

Hello everyone! Sorry for my bad English. Please, tell me, why Minsc is so popular? I was on some forums and he was very recommended as member of party. But why???
He have only 71 character ability point. It is very low. For example, Imoen have 87, Kagain have 82, Ajantis - 88.
He have two slots for quick items (it's not a major minus).
He is ranger, not a fighter. That mean, he can have only two weapon points.
His Berserk ability is very dangerous if you have more than one melee fighter. I had another melee fighter and he always left the fights wounded not by enemies, but by Minsc.

Tell me please, why so many people like him? Only for high strength?

Comments

• Grey_LionGrey_Lion Member Posts: 4
    Thank you very much.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Minsc is funny. That pretty much sums it up for me!
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    And I have heard nothing but good about the little wheel. I agree about all the banters in BG2.

Also if you have not tried UB his quest is funny too. Linear but still great.
    Jarrakul said:

It's also worth noting that Minsc's stat total is low because of stats that have no bearing on his mechanical effectiveness. Entertainment value aside, Minsc has the second-highest strength score in the (pre-TOB) game, and extremely solid Dex and Con scores besides. He has the best overall unaugmented statline of any melee warrior in BG1, which means he synergizes extremely well with characters that do require augmentation, since he doesn't compete for their items. In BG2, he is easily built into an effective dual-wielder, and is well equipped by proficiencies, racial enemy, and his berserk ability to fight some of the most annoying enemies in the main plot. All in all, I certainly wouldn't say Minsc is the *best* melee warrior in either game, but he's a very solid one in both, and he fits easily into most good-aligned party structures. I don't think it's hard to see why people use him, even totally ignoring his entertainment value.

I like your comment. Thank you. But do you really think, that 15 Dex and 15 Con is solid? Imoen has 16 Con. 15 Dex give you only 1 bonus to AC.
    I don't understand what is un/augmentation stats.
    And one more question. Is "hide in shadows" usefull for rangers? I know, it gives backstab damage for thieves, but what it give to rangers?
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Grey_Lion said:

Jarrakul said:

It's also worth noting that Minsc's stat total is low because of stats that have no bearing on his mechanical effectiveness. Entertainment value aside, Minsc has the second-highest strength score in the (pre-TOB) game, and extremely solid Dex and Con scores besides. He has the best overall unaugmented statline of any melee warrior in BG1, which means he synergizes extremely well with characters that do require augmentation, since he doesn't compete for their items. In BG2, he is easily built into an effective dual-wielder, and is well equipped by proficiencies, racial enemy, and his berserk ability to fight some of the most annoying enemies in the main plot. All in all, I certainly wouldn't say Minsc is the *best* melee warrior in either game, but he's a very solid one in both, and he fits easily into most good-aligned party structures. I don't think it's hard to see why people use him, even totally ignoring his entertainment value.

I like your comment. Thank you. But do you really think, that 15 Dex and 15 Con is solid? Imoen has 16 Con. 15 Dex give you only 1 bonus to AC.
    I don't understand what is un/augmentation stats.
    And one more question. Is "hide in shadows" usefull for rangers? I know, it gives backstab damage for thieves, but what it give to rangers?
    Hide in shadows allows you to scout so you know what you're up against, unless like me you just run in blind.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    No matter the stats he has, Minsc is your best protection against megalomania.
    In BG2, as weird as it may seem, he helps you keep both feet on the ground.
    There is also something childish we all love.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Minsc's Dex and Con are definitely not as good in BG1 as in BG2, but he still gets a bonus from both. That's pretty significant. Especially considering he's the only NPC in BG1 to have both an 18 (or higher) Strength and a bonus from both Dex and Con. Of course I would never argue that his statline is better than, say, Imoen's, but they're not competing for the same party role, so I don't think the comparison matters all that much. In the end, I'd say Minsc comes in about on par with Shar-Teel, and only slightly under Dorn, in terms of good warrior stats, which is saying something.

"Augmentation" is referring to the use of magic items to boost stats. These items are in limited supply, so if you have several characters with, for example, low Dexterity, you have to pick one to give the Dex-boosting item. With 18/93, 16, 16 (in BG2), Minsc doesn't really need any of these items, so they can go to other characters who need them.

Oh, now i understand it. But don't Minsc need Gauntlets of Dexterity?
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    People like Minsc not because he's powerful, but for his personality, as stated above. His stats are low for the BG cast, but not low enough to make him ineffective. And honestly, CHARNAME is so extraordinarly powerful that it doesn't matter much if one party member is slightly weaker than the others .

Me, personally, I liked him my first few runs, but he eventually got one-dimensional. Yes, a low-WIS ranger who talks to hamsters and fights FOR JUSTICE is unique, but there's not much more to him than that, and eventually it grows old.

(No offense to anyone who likes Minsc)
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Quos Deus vult perdere, prius dementat.
    In other words, Minsc is not popular with me.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Blucher said:

Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Xan, and Branwen is a very solid lineup imo.

It is; I'm running it myself on a cavalier playthrough. But man, these people can't carry anything! Branwen, Imoen, and Xan all have poopy STR scores, and Khalid's and Jaheira's are...okay, but not enough to carry really heavy items and stay properly equipped. I feel like the party pack-mule at 17 STR, and even then, sometimes it's still lacking!

*sigh* Anyway. End rant. Minsc is cool. He's funny and he carries all the things you can't.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    From a meta-game standpoint:
    When you've got another character tanking, Minsc is a great damage dealer.
    If he's your one fighter, he looks like crap compared to Kagain, if he were your one fighter.
    People also tend to forget that Kivan is far more versatile than Minsc. He's quite a bit better at range, and not as far behind in close range as people tend to make it out to be. He also can actually stand being targeted with his 17 Dexterity, unlike Minsc with his 15 that leaves him kind of vulnerable. That's a 10% higher chance of getting hit … Fairly likely.

From a role-playing standpoint:
    I have no idea. Minsc is f*&%ing annoying in Baldur's Gate 1. He's actually halfway amusing and feels like a legitimate hero in Baldur's Gate II.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I liked him from BG2 and I like having that sense of continuity. Also if you get npc project mod then his banter with Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira basically turns him into the lovable BG2 version. I do remember him being very forgettable in vanilla BG1 before BG2 came out (I never play without npc project now).
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Whenever I see this thread pop up on the homepage, I just think to myself: "Duh, because he's Minsc."
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    *Squeak!* Boo says "Whaaaaaat?!"

My favorite line in any game, ever.
  • GenryuGenryu Member Posts: 372
    Minsc is an iconic character, and kind of the Baldurs Gate mascot.

Also from a roleplay perspective, having him in your party makes a lot more sense if you plan to transition from BG1 to BG2, though I wont give any spoilers away beyond that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.