Skip to content

What do you find most frustrating in IWDee ?

Hi everyone !!

Well personally i find most frustrating in IWDee is the need to rest/sleep very frequently from the very beginning of the game .. ah well it gets a little better when we are at higher levels but usually after every massive fight/ambush it still rather unavoidable ... PLUS a lack of safe zone for a nice cozy nap (they tend to be very very far away) which kind feels like "In a Galaxy far far away" ....

I really really miss that ring of regeneration I always pickpocketed from Ribald in BG2EE ...T_T ....

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Never been a fan of respawning enemies in any game ever. It breaks immersion.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I actually like that enemies make resting somewhat dangerous, and that you're constantly being assaulted. This is a combat-driven game after all.

However what I do not like is that the combat is so simplistic. Most enemies are simply hard-hitting hordes of whatever monster fits the current map. Special abilities and spell-casting are far and few between, and it's incredibly trivial to tank regular melees - doubly so because of the huge array of stackable combat buffs available in IWD:EE.

In essence, what this game is severely lacking is an SCS-equivalent. Until we get that, I'm afraid it won't keep my excitement nowhere near what BG2 still offers after over a decade.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The most frustrating is not having an AI-enhancing mod for IWDEE. Without the SCS-alike mod for IWDEE this game doesn't have the same level of replayability for me.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    True, its pretty straight forward. They should included an option to have something like SCS much like an option selection like HoF kind u know just click that button and it goes to SCS mode ^^.
    That will be cool !
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    The lack of snow cabbages still makes me very upset. :angry:
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited May 2015
    The lack of spell scrolls early in the game. My poor mages have to suffer with the bare-bones scraps they can get until we reach Kuldahar. Of course, this is why I expanded Pomab's inventory but that is my personal mod.
    Post edited by Mathsorcerer on
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

I actually like that enemies make resting somewhat dangerous, and that you're constantly being assaulted. This is a combat-driven game after all.

I'm talking about the respawning in areas, like the shadows in the Vale, not enemies attacking while you sleep.

Personally I would have prefered that a sleep encounter started with the enemy getting one attack of on your chars, like a backstab. If you are lying there sleeping like a little baby in the middle of a dungeon, then you should be in for a rude awakening :P

Well I would prefer the option to be able to post a watch (like the mage's familiar ^_^) or the option to be able to bar those darn doors of a room when my party goes zZzzZZZZ :smiley:
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    A major annoyance is it when heroes get stuck during combat, not reaching their target ... with the animation flickering back and forth without an automatic solution. Or when 1-2 heroes don't follow a command but move to the exact opposite direction of the map, because the path finding messed it up again.
    Well, with party of 6 it will usually get messed up with path-finding. It is more like the last 2 members see a traffic congestion and decided to take a different route ^^
    Who ever scripted that must have a phobia for rush hour traffic jams :wink:
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm playing the game for a second time on my iPhone atm (first time I beat it was on PC). I'm noticing my thief with 100 in trap finding isn't finding certain traps that spawn enemies in Kresslick's tomb. I'm assuming the traps aren't disarmable but I wish it didn't say "trap triggered" or whatever when I step on the spawning point because it's like I STOOD THERE FOR 30 SECONDS WITH TRAP FINDING ON QQ

Do some traps require higher than 100 or are these just un-avoidable?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There are sadly no skiing, snowboarding, ice skating or even a single sledge anywhere in the white, cold vastness of Icewind Dale...

AND NO ICE CREAM :(
    Vallmyr said:

I'm playing the game for a second time on my iPhone atm (first time I beat it was on PC). I'm noticing my thief with 100 in trap finding isn't finding certain traps that spawn enemies in Kresslick's tomb. I'm assuming the traps aren't disarmable but I wish it didn't say "trap triggered" or whatever when I step on the spawning point because it's like I STOOD THERE FOR 30 SECONDS WITH TRAP FINDING ON QQ

Do some traps require higher than 100 or are these just un-avoidable?

Oh yeah, I noticed that too, when i am free i may use EEkeeper to check if higher stats work.
    Well, as again this IWD has always been about putting us in the middle of a bunch of murdering whatever they could conjure up at that point of time i guess ....

There are sadly no skiing, snowboarding, ice skating or even a single sledge anywhere in the white, cold vastness of Icewind Dale...

AND NO ICE CREAM :(

Ouch, don't remind me of ICE CREAM~~ I live in a hot tropical country and lately is so darn hot I am screaming for ice cream~ X_X
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Those monster spawning traps are undetectable.

You can always check using the Detect Traps spell.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Not only does IWD lack hamsters, it doesn't even have any ice weasels.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Grum said:

Not only does IWD lack hamsters, it doesn't even have any ice weasels.

Ohh they are there. They just don't want you to know that they are there.
    Vallmyr said:

That Squirrel in Easthaven? It's just a Hamster that dumped all its skill points in disguise.

That would explain why you can't kill it.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    That stupid sleep trap on Kresselack's Tomb first level. It always ends with a trip back to Kuldahar to raise one or more party members at a stage in which gold's still an issue.
    Kilivitz said:

That stupid sleep trap on Kresselack's Tomb first level. It always ends with a trip back to Kuldahar to raise one or more party members at a stage in which gold's still an issue.

Are you doing a no reload run?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @Bubbles I usually start doing a minimum reload game of sorts (only in case of a chunked character or game over, keeping it honest and never giving up). Though at times (Dragon's Eye and the Jackal Caves) I'll eventually break my own rules and reload out of frustration with certain batt!es.
    Just completed my first game of IWD+HoW, the Jackal is a real pain in the butt and well there are those harpies who ain't so bad if those 2 irritating stonies could just stay where they should be rather than joining in the fray ... :o(
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited June 2015
    the thing i find the most frustrating is backtracking without any action that exists in a few places. but it's not a huge issue.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I really dislike how reloading can cause enemies to respawn. Where did they come from? Obviously they weren't brought back to life, because the corpses of the lizardmen I just killed are still on the ground!

So, if I want the enemies to NOT respawn, I have to keep reloading until they decide not to respawn. I don't see what the developers were intending when they made the enemies sometimes respawn upon reloading. If they thought it was a good idea for the enemies to respawn upon reloading, they should've made it so that the enemies ALWAYS respawn, not just sometimes. If they didn't think it was a good idea, it shouldn't be in the game.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i haven't even noticed that. maybe it's a bug, no?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Yeti is not a playable race. :(
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited June 2015
    I hate the map of Kuldahar. All the shops are in different places, separated by the roots and it takes forever to walk from one place to the next. And you can't just sell your junk at one place, no, you have to tour the whole map everytime you come back from an expedition even though there's litterally nothing interesting to buy except in the weapon shop. Couldn't they at least put a few of the shops next to each other?

I hate the fact that it takes for ever to actually accomplish anything in our ''investigation''. First investigate the Vale and learn it was a false lead, then we go look for the scrying stone, then it's stolen, then we look for it somewhere else, then we look for the guy who can use it.

I really dislike how reloading can cause enemies to respawn. Where did they come from? Obviously they weren't brought back to life, because the corpses of the lizardmen I just killed are still on the ground!

So, if I want the enemies to NOT respawn, I have to keep reloading until they decide not to respawn. I don't see what the developers were intending when they made the enemies sometimes respawn upon reloading. If they thought it was a good idea for the enemies to respawn upon reloading, they should've made it so that the enemies ALWAYS respawn, not just sometimes. If they didn't think it was a good idea, it shouldn't be in the game.

For the respawning part, strongly advise you not to go back town for rest if the journey takes more than 3 days. Unless the area or level has been cleared, otherwise when you are back you will be in for a tough fight.
    Francois said:

I hate the map of Kuldahar. All the shops are in different places, separated by the roots and it takes forever to walk from one place to the next. And you can't just sell your junk at one place, no, you have to tour the whole map everytime you come back from an expedition even though there's litterally nothing interesting to buy except in the weapon shop. Couldn't they at least put a few of the shops next to each other?

I hate the fact that it takes for ever to actually accomplish anything in our ''investigation''. First investigate the Vale and learn it was a false lead, then we go look for the scrying stone, then it's stolen, then we look for it somewhere else, then we look for the guy who can use it.

Go to the temple. They buy everything there! It really saves some headaches. But I agree, the map is really hard to get around. I especially dislike heading to the inn, only to find that one of my guys decided to take the scenic route and now has to walk all the way back around.