Skip to content

The Great Debate

Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
edited June 2015 in Off-Topic
So which is it? Let's settle this once and for all!
  1. The Great Debate35 votes
    1. Soda
      31.43%
    2. Pop
      17.14%
    3. Sodapop
        2.86%
    4. Cola
        2.86%
    5. Coke
        2.86%
    6. Soft Drink
        0.00%
    7. Carbonated Beverage
        0.00%
    8. Fizzy (or Fizzy Drink)
        0.00%
    9. Drink (in my Barbarian tongue)
        5.71%
    10. Other?
      37.14%

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I think its a travesty that soda was put first on the poll!

I don't drink pop, but as a Michigander, I know what its really called. (pop)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Pop :)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm from the northern midwest United States. Once went on a trip to Colorado and the waitress at Joe's Crab Shack asked us what kind of Coke we wanted. We had a nice, interesting 10 minute conversation about that lol....it's completely regional it seems. Some places you mention "pop" and no one knows what the hell you are talking about.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Tea.

No carbonated sugar waters, or drugged energy drinks with the taste of liquid liquorice gone bad. Just plain and simple tea. And don't get me started with that irksome, vile and unpleasant coffee stuff either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ICuEK0s2Ck
  • Fiendish_WarriorFiendish_Warrior Member Posts: 309
    edited June 2015
    Come on now. This is a lexical question, not one of taste (ie what you prefer to drink). I live and breathe artisanal tea (am drinking 16 year old aged tieguanyin today in fact), and though I couldn't tell you the last time I've had one of these, even I have a position on this question.

For the record, I've recently changed my opinion on this. I used to think "soda" until it occurred to me that "cola" is the only word that shows up in both of the big two's names (Pepsi-Cola and Coca-Cola). And since they relied on deriving extracts from the Kola Nut, it makes sense.

That is, until we consider non-kola variants. Nooooo!!!! Clearly neither drinks like Mountain Dew nor Sprite can justly be classified as colas. Why did I do this to myself????!? Now I am back to square one after having thought through it further. :le sigh:
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2015
    Aedan said:

WATER!

O_Bruce said:

Rum?

Tea.

Shandyr said:

Water!

Really guys? the answer to "what do you call soda where you're from?" Is not, "excuse me, but I only drink water"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2015
    deltago said:

Sodium Bicarbonate beverage introduced into the probation era to mask the taste of moonshine and other horribly distilled beverages OR to replace alcoholic beverages outright (such as root beer and sasperilla).

Yes, there are certain sodium bicarbonate beverages introduced prior to the 1920s but these were marketed as medicinal and not for leisurely consumption.

Going through your list,

Soda is short for Sodium
    Pop refers to the beverages being served and mom and pop shops.
    Sodapop joins the two

Cola is a type of Sodium Bicarbonate beverage and Coke is a brand name of that type.

Soft Drink refers back to Alcoholic beverages as something like Rum is a hard drink. A soft drink is one that is alcoholic free or an alcoholic replacement.

Carbonated beverage is close but you can drink them flat (non carbonated or the gas has been released from the liquid.

Fizzy is slang and refers to Carbonation.

Drink can refer to anything being consumed liquid format.

End of debate.

Some of this seems mistaken.

For one, references to soda water and soda pop extend at least as far back as the early 1800s, where they were not sold strictly for medicinal purposes but were seen as an interesting novelty. The drinks were the product of adding flavorings, herbal extracts, natural sweeteners (like honey), and / or fruit juices to carbonated water. Granted, some of them were sold in pharmacies and touted as health drinks due to specific additives and supposed medicinal benefits, but they were also already showing up in ice cream parlors and soda shops by the mid 19th century.

Now, not to nitpick and maybe you just wrote in haste, but "Soda" is specifically short for "Sodium Bicarbonate," what you mentioned above. Baking Soda, for example, is Sodium Bicarbonate, which is a very different chemical from plain old Sodium. But this also leads to the second point, which is that none of the beverages were effervescent because of Sodium Bicarbonate; it was because of Carbon Dioxide. That was a misconception by people, associating the fizzy properties of Sodium Bicarbonate with the fizziness of carbonated water.

"Pop" is an onomatopoeia for the sound that carbonated beverages would make when they were opened. They used to be corked.

"Sodapop" is obviously a blend word. Correct.

"Cola" again refers to the Kola Nut, which was used to flavor and color beverages.

"Coke" is short for and refers to the Coca Leaf extracts that were used in some of the beverages.

That's mostly true about "Soft Drink," although it can also refer to a beverage that has very little alcohol as well. Traditional methods of introducing Carbon Dioxide used fermentation, causing just a fraction of alcohol to get introduced into them. It was considered a trivial amount.

"Fizzy" is indeed slang, but is another onomatopoeia for the sound that an effervescent liquid makes and is a variation of the proper word "fizzle."

I agree with the rest, but I fail to see how citing the origin of words ends any debate. The question is, "Which word reigns supreme?" It's not, "From where did these words come?" It's clearly totally subjective, but it's also presented in fun. In other words, in linguistic Highlander, which one remains after The Gathering? Or, to present it more seriously and sincerely, "What's it called in your neck of the woods?"
    Its pop guys.

GG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Soda. You seek, Soda.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    meagloth said:

Really guys? the answer to "what do you call soda where you're from?" Is not, "excuse me, but I only drink water"

It's not our fault the title and the first post doesn't say much.
    edited June 2015
    O_Bruce said:

meagloth said:

It's not our fault the title and the first post doesn't say much.
    Oh but it is... :tongue:

Pop is for weasels

:lol:
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2015
    meagloth said:

Frisdrank or short 'Fris'

For those not familiar to the Dutch language, frisdrank translates literally to Freshdrink
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I say "Drinks later?" and my friend goes to the bar while I walk across the street to get a COCA-COLA.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Yes I wrote that in haste and mostly from memory. But Cola is still a type (flavour) and Coke is still a brand (but the name being derived from the Coco Leaf).

It's pop if it is bottled/canned

Soda if it is mixed on sight (like at a movie theatre)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Agua con gas :D
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I voted soda, but I'm clearly in the minority here in the US Midwest. They call it pop. Anyway, I rarely drink the stuff. Coffee for me, please.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited June 2015
    I call Mix, because mix is mix. Even when you have no booze.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

Pop is for weasels

I never understood that, weasels don't go pop. They go "fufufufu" before they attack, same a tigers strangely enough.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Pop is for weasels

I never understood that, weasels don't go pop. They go "fufufufu" before they attack, same a tigers strangely enough.
    They go *pop* when you poke them with a pin

Its true. Trust me, I'm a rodent