Skip to content

This is a banter in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You haven't seen pretentious dialog until you've played the Solaufein romance mod.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

I personally would rather read more modern-ish dialogue done well than such florid verbosity the likes of which I am subjected to by yon planeswalking bardsman Haer'dalis, which does in truth fill me with the desire to pluck the sparrow from his pixelly realm and make acquaintances of his face and my boot.

Done well, mind you.

When I see these kinds of comments, I start wishing there was a LOL-button I could press. Juvenile, but there it is. Now I just have to content myself with Like.

Btw I really want to try this group now.

PS. I think fantasy these days is made too serious, and comic relief characters like Neera are a boon. That's what I love about Discworld, it doesn't take itself too seriously. Epicness, struggle and heroism have their place, but people need to have fun as well.
    Dee said:

that girl you brought in from the Drama Club who's actually doing a really good job of roleplaying her character, even if she is playing her tragic history a bit thickly.

I SEE WHAT U DID THAR!

But all in all, a very interesting and above all plausible perspective. Except for Neera being 14, I just refuse to believe that. Oh wait, elves are different, right? 14 is probably fine there, right? RIGHT?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2015
    Nas92 said:

Except those characters didn't use modern language with all the modern slang. Neera actually says "chill out" at one point. Really now, that's a bit too much.

Alora's character sounds reference the Youngbloods song "Get Together" and Ren & Stimpy's "Happy Happy Joy Joy". Her dialogs reference the Batman & Robin 1960s TV show ("Holy kitty cacophony!") and Freakazoid ("Aww, nut bunnies!").

"Chill out" doesn't seem out of place next to "Holy kitty cacophony!".
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    No party, no problem.
    Maybe realism is not what you should look for in a game about dragons and mages :P
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2015
    pkmn said:

The problem is the writing of Anomen, Jaheira, and Mazzy. It's fan mod level, and totally not in the character of any of them.

With the dialogue that was created between Neera and Anomen, I get this overwhelming sense that the author did not personally like the Anomen character and so felt free to poke at him with their new character. After all, few people do like him, so why not? The problem is, it takes him so far out of character for me that it makes me wince. It just starts to feel silly.

Aaaaaand Dee ignores this point, of course.

Beamdog defending the writing always ignores this point. Kind of just proves it to be true, really. It boggles my mind, because Beamdog has so much respect for the games themselves, and so little for most of the characters.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Quartz: Not to be repetitive, but what this discussion proves is that the "point" isn't quite as universally accepted as you're making it out to be.

* It's in-character for Jaheira to taunt someone she doesn't like: she does it to Viconia, she does it to Edwin.

* It's in-character for Anomen to be abrasive and a bit of a jerk towards women: let's not forget that if you demure from having sex with him the first time he asks, he breaks off the romance. So if there's a call to take a character down a peg, he's certainly a legitimate target.

* Mazzy has a sense of humor: put her with Korgan for an extended amount of time and you'll see for yourself.
    @shawne Right, but even when Beamdog has the original characters do the right things, they still write it so strangely. It's such a different style.

The kind of style that does confusing crap like this:

My point is that you can't do a "take the metaphor literally" joke where you just invent something vaguely related to the metaphor and pretend that's what they meant.

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    This dialogue... is bad.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Dee said:

Haer'Dalis is played by "that guy". You know the one. Always comes to the sessions in full costume, speaks in an affected accent, never breaks character even when he goes to refill his Mountain Dew... And hits on every girl player at the table, especially that girl you brought in from the Drama Club who's actually doing a really good job of roleplaying her character, even if she is playing her tragic history a bit thickly

HAH.
    NOT LIKE I'M THAT PERSON.
    NOPE.

/totally that guy.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    This sparrow is allergic to verbal economy and the word "I".
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977

I must be the minority here as I kinda like the new dialogues. They are hit and miss, but still a nice change of pace from dialogues I've read through countless times before.

Also I'm totally ok with taking the piss out of Annoyamen, I really hate that guy.

Thank you, hi-five. I like Neera more then most the old npc. At least she keeps me entertained. I can mre then likely count on one hand the amount of old npc I don't want to kill just because.
    Nas92 said:

Everything about Neera is horrible writing. Who thought it was a good idea to make some steretypical quirky girl as a character in a fantasy game?

Y..you're joking right?
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    This sparrow notices that all the females prefer jerks instead of nice guys who would care
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2015
    Quartz said:

pkmn said:

The problem is the writing of Anomen, Jaheira, and Mazzy. It's fan mod level, and totally not in the character of any of them.

With the dialogue that was created between Neera and Anomen, I get this overwhelming sense that the author did not personally like the Anomen character and so felt free to poke at him with their new character. After all, few people do like him, so why not? The problem is, it takes him so far out of character for me that it makes me wince. It just starts to feel silly.

Aaaaaand Dee ignores this point, of course.

Beamdog defending the writing always ignores this point. Kind of just proves it to be true, really. It boggles my mind, because Beamdog has so much respect for the games themselves, and so little for most of the characters.
    Quality of writing is in the eye of the beholder. One person's cringe-worthy dialog is another's entertaining banter.

There are many who regard the Lord of the Rings as one of the most brilliant literary works of the 20th century. Others regarded it as "juvenile trash".
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Valygar is the guy at the table who doesn't know how to emote.
    @Dee
    Dee said:

More to the point, my earlier post was specifically talking about the different styles of dialogue employed by the various NPCs, not an attempt to defend the writing. Although you could take my premise a step farther and say that, on a given night during a campaign, your players might behave differently based on who's at the table. The women at the table, for instance, might leap to take the side of Neera's player as she attempts to rebuff Anomen's player, even if it might be slightly unusual behavior for them.

Again, I'm not saying the writing of any given character or exchange in these cases is "good" or "bad" (any opinion I would give would obviously be colored one way or the other by my closeness to the content and its authors), but given that the writing is there and likely won't be changed, my feeling is that you can either spend energy thinking about how angry it makes you that Anomen is talking in a slightly different affected British Accent, or you can start to think about why he's using that different affectation, in the context of your own head canon.

Thank you for humoring me at least a little. I'll be straight up though, and this is probably why I can't stand said writing: I don't believe in "head canon." I realize that plenty of people get their kicks this way, so I've really no right to diss the notion. So for the record: I'm making the mental effort not to diss it outright. People enjoy what they enjoy, even if I don't get it -- cool.

Everyone can have their different take aways from art … after all, that makes it art. Different interpretations, good stuff. But when people completely disagree on something as simple as what a character's personality is like, based on the two people making stuff up in their own head barely grounded at all in what is actually written, that's where I start to think that there's an issue. The issue can be with the writing, the people, or anything else really. There's a lot of variables. It's very difficult to pin-point and there's little fruit in trying to, I reckon.

But that said, I find that "head canon" starts happening either A.) when there are gaps that desperately need filling (NPCs are awfully quiet in BG1 -- BG1 NPC project is essentially a lot of head canon from the authors of it) or B.) there's nothing wrong with the writing, but the fans love to try and twist their fan fiction into "fact." (Thankfully, this is not so common amongst this community, which is one of the big reasons why I like this forum and this fan base.)

While I can respect your "game table" metaphor (it sounds fun), I never felt even remotely that way all throughout playing the Infinity Engine series. (I can MAYBE get that feeling from Icewind Dale when I play multiplayer, but that's obvious.) I always felt like I was thrown in a world and I'm just plain being told a story. Because it's all thrown at you, there is no real interaction to speak of. The most you can do is converse with people through some very limiting dialogue choices, and whether or not you kill someone. It's an interactive story. I do not see a game table, and it's nowhere near a game table. Am I missing something? Am I Deranged? I don't know. I cannot for the life of me understand how you could get that feeling/interpretation from playing Baldur's Gate II.

What you're describing to me sounds like mediocre role-players playing a decent dungeon. (Not hating … mediocre role-players playing a decent dungeon makes for some fun times, I've been a mediocre role-player in a decent dungeon many a time) From what I'd experienced though, BGII seems like a masterfully crafted story wherein the characters stick exactly to what and when they should and shouldn't say. I guess this is where I can fall back on my "different interpretations" claim, but these two notions are so radically different I just can't understand how we could get those two disparate conclusions.
    Yannir said:

@Quartz I just feel the need to point out that storytelling and games are art themselves. It's just that you really don't see them as such because they are in a different form. That's why games and storytelling are as much open to interpretation as a painting, for example. Well, maybe not AS much but still, they are.

I'm so confused. Didn't I basically say this myself? Lol

I agree with you about the humor, too, it's just that I haven't laughed at most things Beamdog has churned out. Neera talking to the old halfling "friend" in Baldur's Gate was pretty damn funny though.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Quartz said:

I'm so confused. Didn't I basically say this myself? Lol

I'm sorry if I misunderstood but I did not get that out of it.
    edited August 2015
    @Yannir No problem at all. My post was all over the place. Here:
    Quartz said:

Everyone can have their different take aways from art … after all, that makes it art. Different interpretations, good stuff.

What you're describing to me sounds like mediocre role-players playing a decent dungeon. From what I'd experienced though, BGII seems like a masterfully crafted story wherein the characters stick exactly to what and when they should and shouldn't say. I guess this is where I can fall back on my "different interpretations" claim, but these two notions are so radically different I just can't understand how we could get those two disparate conclusions.

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I enjoy Neera's writting, the only part I didn't like was the last sentance of her first romance dialogue in BG1. I always felt like my pc was too serious to stuck on revenge especially in BG2 and her random sillyness always brought him down to level.
    @AWizardDidIt Well put. That helps me understand. Thank you!

I think I've misplaced my actual consternation with Beamdog and said some silly things in this thread. I appreciate the patience.