Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    I have the BG1 Aerie mod installed. Her store identifies all items for free and heals for free too. :) All you have to do is free Bentha which any decent person would do anyway. :)
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    and before anyone asks. i odn't mind identifying items in nwn as it's easier and faster.

there also seems to be no mod to auto identify for that game.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited August 2018

and before anyone asks. i odn't mind identifying items in nwn as it's easier and faster.

there also seems to be no mod to auto identify for that game.

i found that max lore ranks for your level with 10 INT and a ring of insight is usually enough to identify all unidentified items in NWN, only perhaps in chapter 1 there might be a couple of items out of that range, but the lore skill will start to out strip the cost of what an item is usually once you start chapter 2

PS: also if you want to be able to identify all items with a "mod" per se, just use the cheat console and set your lore to like 80 or something, then you will be able to identify all items no sweat :)
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    edited August 2018
    sarevok57 said:

<
    PS: also if you want to be able to identify all items with a "mod" per se, just use the cheat console and set your lore to like 80 or something, then you will be able to identify all items no sweat :)

Yes, but then you still have to the whole Shufflin' Inventories dance, moving stacks back and forth to create spots in your mage's backpack. This was a major hassle pre-EE, when there were no gem bags or bags of holding, so you needed to dedicate one NPC to holding gems (for the stacking), one dude to hold potions, etc., and then cycle items back and forth between the rest of the crew and the mage for the ID. Nalia's Keep was a major PAIN! "Ooooh, another weapons rack, yet another handful reddish, glowing, unknowable rocks. What will it be this time? Eeeeedwiiiin? Hand me those other rocks you just studied and take a look at these instead!"

So I just install a mod that auto-identifies everything, which ensures that I miss nice loot from time to time because I am not a careful student of the loot piles and nothing glows to stand out anymore.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the dnd rpgs are the only ones that make you have to identify items even gear. i know dnd rules and all that. but most crpgs has them already identify making it there just to be there.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

i don;t care what purists don't like. i need identify all items on as it's tedious otherwise.

You could also run with a Bard.

sarevok57 said:

<

Yes, but then you still have to the whole Shufflin' Inventories dance, moving stacks back and forth to create spots in your mage's backpack. This was a major hassle pre-EE, when there were no gem bags or bags of holding, so you needed to dedicate one NPC to holding gems (for the stacking), one dude to hold potions, etc., and then cycle items back and forth between the rest of the crew and the mage for the ID. Nalia's Keep was a major PAIN! "Ooooh, another weapons rack, yet another handful reddish, glowing, unknowable rocks. What will it be this time? Eeeeedwiiiin? Hand me those other rocks you just studied and take a look at these instead!"

So I just install a mod that auto-identifies everything, which ensures that I miss nice loot from time to time because I am not a careful student of the loot piles and nothing glows to stand out anymore.
    oooooooooooh, i thought we were talking about NWN, so a mod that you could do for the BG series ( even though you already said that you have one but someone else could do this ) is just use NI and go to the INT table and set the lore value to 120 for any intelligence score and you will be able to identify any item in the game regardless of which character has it
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2018
    Try ketjap next time.
    and no, ketjap is not the same as Chinese or Japanese soy sauce.
  • Unpopular opinion: BG1 is better than BG2 because it's got tomes. The plots of the games are irrelevant: Baldur's Gate is all about finding tomes and that is all the plot you need. BG2 would be much better if they left out all the nonsense about Imoen being taken to Spellhold and just scattered some tomes around for the Charname to look for.

Tome Abuse: Just Say No

Unpopular opinion: BG1 is better than BG2 because it's got tomes. The plots of the games are irrelevant: Baldur's Gate is all about finding tomes and that is all the plot you need. BG2 would be much better if they left out all the nonsense about Imoen being taken to Spellhold and just scattered some tomes around for the Charname to look for.

well ToB does have the machine of lum the mad.... :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Unpopular opinion: BG1 is better than BG2 because it's got tomes. The plots of the games are irrelevant: Baldur's Gate is all about finding tomes and that is all the plot you need. BG2 would be much better if they left out all the nonsense about Imoen being taken to Spellhold and just scattered some tomes around for the Charname to look for.

Funny you should post this now as I was just considering making a thread entitled,
    "what they should have put in BG2 from BG1",
    and tomes were the first thing I thought of. :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Unpopular opinions:

1. Thread necros are awesome!
      I know, I know. I'm not talking about this thread. That said, it just had its third birthday and is 96 pages long. I found it yesterday. I read all 96 pages. And now I continue with unpopular opinions not yet mentioned in this encyclopedia-sized discussion....
    2. Cats > Dogs
      That's why all mage/sorcerer CHARNAMES must be Chaotic Neutral.
    3. Catsup, not mustard, on hot dogs
      What is wrong with you people?
    4. If gnomes could be Fighter/Clerics, they would be better than both dwarf and half-orc F/Cs
      Did I get you? Gnomes CAN be F/Cs!!!!! You didn't even know that, did you? No mods required. Told you it was unpopular.

5. If halflings could be Fighter/Clerics or Cleric/Thieves, they would be just as good as gnomes!
      No, sorry. Halflings really can't be F/Cs or C/Ts. Why the heck not??

6. All Star Wars feature length movies are meh except for The Empire Strikes Back and Rogue One
      If I have to watch one, I'd better have a hotdog with catsup.

Why "catsup"?
    Seriously, what is it?
    Is it ketchup/tomato sauce?

Sounds like something one of those cat familiars you like have regurtitated when they have a furball, horrible name.
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2018
    And here I thought the gnome F/C opinion was the real controversy.

Regarding my condiment claim: either spelling is acceptable, so of course go with the "cat" one! ;)
    But Kethcup sounds nothing like, "catsup". Who puts cat soup on fries or a hot dog!?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Catsup is a ketchup that doesn't have sugar in its composition.
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Unpopular opinion: @semiticgod is not awesome.

Not that I hold that opinion myself. It's unpopular, though.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    sarevok57 said:

But the machine just seems cheesy to me. Tomes are classy. The best bit in the game is when you put a tome in your quick slot and click on it and then go back to your character screen to look at how much stronger or smarter or charismatic you are.

sarevok57 said:

But the machine just seems cheesy to me. Tomes are classy. The best bit in the game is when you put a tome in your quick slot and click on it and then go back to your character screen to look at how much stronger or smarter or charismatic you are.
    How so? Tomes are just click and use. THe machine actually requires some extra steps. The end result is the same anyway.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    The machine feels like playing a slot machine. I like books, I don't like slot machines.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Character development stops being interesting after level 9.