Skip to content

Godhood for everyone~

I don't know about you guys, but becoming the God of Murder for the xyz-th time is reaaally boring. So this kind of got me thinking, tinkering and then my headcanon workshop was running again at full speed: "What kind of deity would *I* become when ascending after the Throne of Bhaal?"

This thread is just for giggles. So feel free to let your silly imaginations roam around. ;)

In my case, it would probably be something like this:

Kamigoroshi
(The Thermae Dweller, Hot Springs Digger, He Who Sleeps In The Tub)
Lesser Power of the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Steam, True Neutral

PORTFOLIO: Baths, hot springs, saunas, purification through cleansing
ALIASES: None
DOMAIN NAME: Quasi-Elemental Plane of Steam / The Floating Rubber Duck
SUPERIOR: Istishia
ALIES: Leira, Eldath, Istishia
FOES: Ilmater, Loviatar, Talona
SYMBOL: A bathtub, or geyser.
HOLY ANIMAL: Geyser Dragon
WOR. ALIGN.: Any

The battle between the numerous spawns of Bhaal had left him utterly exhausted. Much blood, dirt and sweat was still clinging on his body. However, to his dismay the civilization level of Faerûn had yet to reach the knowledge of creating public bathing facilities. Thus, the first thing Kamigoroshi (Kah-MEE-gho-RO-shee) did after ascending to godhood was planewalking to the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Steam and digging up a giant and steaming hot spring. He then soaked in the pleasant water for untold years. By the time Kamigoroshi realized it, Bhaal's portfolio of "Murder" has been washed away and was replaced with "Baths".

Dogma:
At its heart, the Kamigoroshian faith believes that every city, town, settlement and household should have baths and cold drinks. Hot water and steam will wash away stress, ease diseases, allay pain, and purifies the mind. All sects of the Kamigoroshian faith tend to avoid personal combat and direct confrontations in public bathing areas. That is not to say that the faith ignores ill-mannered events going on around them in such facilities. But rather that they work quietly along less-obvious paths to accomplish their goals (such as hardening the comfy chairs of non-believers). Members of the faith are also to follow the path of rinsing their bodies from filth before entering the bathing water.

Day-to-Day Activities:
Keeping bathrooms pure and clean is one major goal of the church, and this responsible long-term goal has made the Kamigoroshians one of the more easily accepted elemental "cults" to visit. Other activities include of creating bathing toys, mixing shampoo, harvesting bathing salt and the invention of waterproof books.

Holy Days / Important Ceremonies:
Each moring for a follower of the Thermae Dweller begins with a quiet, hot bath and tea. Each night ends the same way. There are no fixed holy days within the Kamigoroshian faith, however the church sponsors various bathing festivals in Summer and sauna festivals in Winter.

Priestly Vestments:
Priests of Kamigoroshi dress in turquise-and-violet bathrobes with hot springs symbol decorations for ceremonial occasions.

Adventuring Garb:
Adventuring priests are free to wear whatever clothes they deem appropiate. Though they have at least one swimsuit ready in their backpack for taking a quick dip on the go.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2015
    Channeling Didi from Dexter's Laboratory:

Alas, I fear I am *ahem* a bit too "sleepy" at the moment to follow the established "format", so, I'll just post my summary answer, and then perhaps revise into "proper" format later if this topic takes off.

So, I would basically take over the portfolio of whatever Santa Claus equivalent there might be in Forgotten Realms, but only if my forerunner and mentor had been "killed" in the Godswar. If He were still around, my next choice would be as whatever minor deity was allied with Him.

So, my "portfolio" would include, in no particular order: "Reward and punishment of children", "Duty, honor, and protection of the 'weak', "Home and hearth", "Teaching and education", "Symbol and myth", "Preservation of knowledge and lore", "Festivals of joy and celebration of life", "Colored lights", "Trees decorated with colored lights", "Cats and other intelligent mammals, but especially cats", "Father or Old Man anything", "Music", "Frugality and profit", and "Nighttime, the moon, the stars, and entities plagued by a bestial nature (I'm plagued with manic-depressive illness in my real life.) Oh yes, and also "Winter", and "Warmth in Winter".

So, that means my desired portfolios encompass, among the greater gods' portfolios, Oghma's, Helm's, Liira's, Selune's, Silvanus', and Chauntea's.

Among minor gods' portfolios: Deneir, Milil, Mielikki, Lurue, Eldath, Sharess, and Waukeen.

Pardon me if my attempted division between "major" and "minor" is perhaps not fully correct.

Hmm. Based on the portfolio allegiances determined by my core nature, I wonder if I might have been able to choose to rise to the status of some kind of "messenger" god, like Hermes or Mercury - a deity always in service to the aims of the other good gods.

So, the thing is, all of the portfolios with which my essential nature is harmonius, are taken both before and after the Godswar. I would have to have a new portfolio offered to me by either Ao or one of the major deities willing to split his or her portfolio with a newly ascended mortal in order to thwart Bhaal and Cyric. That would probably mean that I would need the grace of Oghma, Silvanus, Helm, Selune, or Chauntea, clearly communicated to me before I faced Mellissan, the Chosen of Bhaal, in order for me to accept Ascension. Because, without the guidance of my Gods, I would unhesitatingly choose annihilation rather than to accept Ascension to an evil divine portfolio.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @BillyYank , I think that might be an "evil" portfolio, because it is a constant temptation for me to represent it in my journeys through the Internet. ;)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

@BillyYank , I think that might be an "evil" portfolio, because it is a constant temptation for me to represent it in my journeys through the Internet. ;)

The mere fact that this is an Internet forum is what suggested the portfolio to me.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I'll grab the portfolio for coral reefs now! My followers will have a joyous sense of wonder, frolicking in the water around my colorful domain - but woe betide the sailor who risks my wrath, crashing his vessel into my might wall of fossilized polyps! While is will generally grant a route for a safely guided passage, my role is also to protect my sheltered islands from unwelcome invaders, and darn those flying wizards!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    bengoshi said:

HOLY ANIMAL: A samurai kitsune

Yeh sure that's a fox @bengoshi? Judging from the fur colours and face pattern, I'd wager this is a bona fide tanuki ronin. :p
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Becoming the God of Murder, makes murder your nature, so murdering another God for their spheres of influence shouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty sure Cyric did exactly that and offed Talona. Then Ao was all like "A God of Murders gotta do, what a God of Murders gotta do."

So you don't necessarily have to live in a crappy hell dimension, surrounded by ugly slayers and whatnot, you just kill a God with better Spheres of influence than you and get some prime real estate and shiny new followers in process. Also lets face it, a lot of FR gods totally deserve a axe to the face.

Being the Lord of Murder, basically means you could be the God of anything and everything in time.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited December 2015
    This is fun.

Archaos
    The Lord of Chaos
    Greater Power, Chaotic Neutral

PORTFOLIO: Chaos, Freedom, Creation, Destruction, Unpredictability, Adaptiveness
    ALIASES: Lord of Chaos, The Ever-Changing, Face of Chaos, The Chaotic One
    DOMINION: The Chaotic Plane of Limbo
    SUPERIOR: None
    ALLIES: The Seldarine, The Dark Seldarine, The Norse Pantheon, the Greek Pantheon, Chaotic Deities
    FOES: Lawful Deities
    HOLY ANIMAL: Felines
    WOR. ALIGN: Any Chaotic
    DOMAINS: Chaos, Creation, Destruction, Freedom, Change, Luck, Madness
    WORSHIPERS: Slaadi, Chaotic Outsiders, Wild Mages, Sorcerers, Bards, Barbarians, Madmen
    SYMBOL: Arrows pointing to every direction

Archaos is said to have been a mortal once but no one seems to know what his real name was. Perhaps all those that knew his name, suddenly forgot and now only know of him as "Archaos".
    Not many know why he took on such a name. Perhaps so people would associate him by what he is and what he does, while at the same time, not mistaking him for a primordial force.
    While he took the powers of Murder, murder is the destruction of life, which prompts someone to create more or create something to counter further murder.

Dogma:
    "Do As You Will" seems to be the mantra but also the main if not only dogma or commandment he expects from his followers.
    It is said that through chaos, comes strength. Creation, destruction, evolution, change, open-mindedness and freedom are all aspects of chaos. By giving you such freedom, you make what you wish of it, for good or or bad and makes you adapt and prevail when two sides of the same coin of chaos collide.

Day-to-Day Activities:
    There are no specific things followers of Archaos need to do. They are free to do as they wish, liberating them from activities that are mandatory and are done for reasons that serve no purpose.
    Such individuals travel the world and do as they wish. The smarter or wiser ones, understand that everything has a consequence.

Holy Days / Important Ceremonies:
    None. Some temples might decide when such holy days happen, others like to worship him the day he ascended to godhood.
    When such days happen, worshipers do as they please. They might celebrate, they might get drunk, others will kill and others will speak nonsense for the fun of it.

Priestly Vestments:
    Priests of Archaos have no particular vestments. Some might wear something resembling his symbol, a garb of whirling stars or one with arrows pointing everywhere. Others might dress in random or creative colors. Others might go nude.

Adventuring Garb:
    Adventurers that worship Archaos, will pick whatever is best and practical when they go adventuring. Adapting from one situation to another. Others, like casters, might wear anything, or nothing at all and instead decorate themselves as they please.
    Post edited by Archaos on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just took a nice, long bath and was reminded of this old thread of mine. What this means, you ask? The Kamigoroshian faith makes a steaming comeback and brings a new specialty Priest kit for its believers! :p

PRIEST OF KAMIGOROSHI
    Kamigoroshi is the god of baths and saunas. Priests of He Who Sleeps In the Tub preach that taking baths are essential for everyone and that bathrooms should be cleaned after usage. Or else the bather will suffer Kamigoroshi's ire.

Advantages:
    • May cast Heat Water once a day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 5 levels thereafter. The caster can heat up small amounts of water in an instant. Larger amounts, such as a full bathtub of water, takes a full round. (WARNING: Do not point at people. Boiling blood makes for terrible stains in bathrooms.)
    • May cast Sauna Vapor once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 10 levels thereafter. This spell evaporates moisture from the bodies of every enemy living creature within the area of effect, inflicting 1d4 damage per level of the caster. Affected creatures are allowed a Saving Throw vs. Spell for half damage. This spell is especially devastating to creatures of the fire and cold subtypes, who receive a penalty of -2 to their Saving Throws. Party members who are exposed to Sauna Vapor will sweat a great deal, but it won't harm them. Now will it help their quest for diet in losing weight.
    Disadvantages:
    • Priests of Kamigoroshi have a strong urge to bathe at least twice a day. Every day they do not bathe makes them suffer a random morale failure.