Skip to content

Female-Female romance

BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
So the reddit AMA confirmed that Neera is not bisexual. This leaves the game with one gay romance, plenty of straight romances (if you include BG2) but no lesbian romances at all. I'd like to see this rectified by either making Neera bi (if her character allows this) or introducing a new NPC as DLC or in BG2:EE for those who'd like to see some female-female action.

If a new character is introduced I'd like it to be a non-caster, seeing as all female romance options are magic users of some sort.

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm sure a mod could fix this easily.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Branwen is totally into Shar-Teel anyway.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    My head is left spinning with all of the romance request I've read so far.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    wait for the so called "lesbian DLC" (joke)

Honestly I wish there was no "action" just talk and this way the freaking sexes could be ignored...
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    My guess is that it's coming in BG2E.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Razor - while I agree, it's in the game and, intended or not, some feel left out because they want their characters to have certain choices. If implemented, I hope it makes 'sense' more than the DA2 approach where any NPC is totally fair game and gender is irrelevant. I prefer there to be limitations, including some that are non-romanceable no matter what (bark up another tree, essentially).
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Dave said:

I think this addition is likely to occur sooner rather than later.

Good to hear!

Sounds like we'll be having some nice DLC NPC(s) to BG:EE instead of having to wait until BG2:EE.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I find the following stuff rather odd:

Men playing as women in relationships with men

People requesting so many romances

So many people asking for bi NPCs.

We all know Viconia is bi anyway.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    @Ward: How'd you get that impression of Viconia?
    Oh, it would be nice to get a love triangle in BG EE like the one in BG2.
    @Fake_Sketch Never did, but everyone says it's true. :P
    @Ward The whole point of games is to do stuff you can't necessarily do in real life. If you want to play as a woman romancing men, I don't really see a problem here. One reason people ask for romances because they add some nice depth to the story and characters. Sure is it is not the only way to do that, but it is one.

I can't say about others, but asking for bi NPCs in OP I simply presented the easiest way for devs to fullfil this feature request. One of the large reasons why BG is popular, is because you have so much freedom with your party and chars, this adds one more freedom to that list.

I never saw Viconia as bi, she doesn't really say anything to suggest that.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Its an R (role) P (Play) G (game)....
    If I thought Viconia was bi would be only because of the matriarchal society, since she is more about power than actualy caring about genre. But I never cared about it and am probaly mistaken.

There are many people in this world, if baldurs gate HAS "by law" to represent all their "wishes" then we'll be getting quite a wierd game.
    @Razor Obviously Baldur's Gate can't and doesn't have to take account for everything. This was a feature request, something people would like to see in game. If enough people desire to see some feature, then devs will likely implement it to satisfy their customers. If there is no demand for it, then it will be forgotten.

Anyway, further discussing this particular feature is not that fruitful, since it has been confirmed to be implemented at some point.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Ward said:

I find the following stuff rather odd:

Men playing as women in relationships with men

People requesting so many romances

So many people asking for bi NPCs.

We all know Viconia is bi anyway.

I totally agree, but am trying to be delicate.

@LadyRhian: Risking peoples hate and derailing the topic Id like to say: Does it matter that they are legal? I mean, its a fictional world and no one gets hurt anyway (Its not like the game reflects the real world, ppl don't go around chopping heads off).
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Fake_Sketch Actually, it does, in legal terms. There are places where romancing the underage, even in a game, can get the players of that game arrested for Pedophilia.
    @LayRhian: Oh, I didnt know. They tried to pass bill in my country for that once but it failed.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    One of the best Lesbian characters for BG2:SoA: http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/chloe
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    Re: Viconia being bi, I remember reading that she was originally intended as an option for both female and male PCs, but that got nixed by the publisher. Regardless, I Shadowkeeper'd her romance and there are a few love talks where she actually refers to a female PC with the correct gender, something that never happens in any other BG2 romance.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    I think making npcs bisexual is the lazy way out, really. A person's sexuality is a major part of who they are and how they interact with other people. This should be reflected in the manner in which the NPC is presented, as well.

I'd argue against changing the sexuality of established npcs and instead state that I'd like to see new characters introduced specifically as romanceable options for gay characters. Don't do something half-baked like turn Anomen gay (do you really want to inflict him on any more players?). Write something with your target audience in mind. Better yet, poll them and find out what they want.
  • TenYaibaTenYaiba Member Posts: 212
    Make Anomen Bi, He's desperate enough to try anything. It'll just give us another NPC to shut out of romance manually (jk)

I agree with AurenRavidel in this particular instance. The NPCs were established as finished products, stats personalities dialogue options in a single complete package. If we want to add new characters that are bisexual, or purely homosexual, that would be grand. If it were up to me I'd rather not alter characters that have been so well established.

As For the Viconia thing that Jalily found, I never knew that, it's a shame that it wasn't included in the finished product, but then again, all the more reason to add more characters, give more options, create more content. As long as we leave the masterpiece of the raw game alone and expand on it by adding characters and adventures I'll be happy.

I mean who'd be upset with more NPC options? Really?
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Forever available?

The more variety you can add to a game while staying true to it's spirit, the best ;).
    @LadyRhian It wouldn't be so weird there weren't men playing women romancing men. Brain hurts man.
    edited September 2012
    Ward said:

@LadyRhian It wouldn't be so weird there weren't men playing women romancing men. Brain hurts man.

There it depends. If those men playing a woman are seeing that woman as a character, like tomb rider... Or if those man playing woman consider that they "are" character romancing man. In the last case I agree its wierd.
    edited September 2012
    @nancybuttpeach I don't think this is the right place to get into the morality of homsexuality, but suffice to say that I agree that telling kids these days 'you can be gay or straight' is immature. Nothing wrong with gay people, but it shouldn't be considered an option, like the kid can choose. Bad guidance. I have a few gay friends and they don't go around shoving it down our throats.

If people want gay romances in BG then I don't care, I just don't want them hitting on me at all. :P