Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Well, the max damage thing is actually very minor, IMO. The + 1 APR & Melee AC are the meat of the ability.
    I'm not yet completely convinced about YARAS. (I'm using it atm in IWD:EE.) I have the feeling that it makes you even more vulnerable at low levels, while making you a lot stronger at higher levels.
  • TristeluneTristelune Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2017

I'm starting with the Bladesinger kit and change its abilities through the .2da.
    I realise that the kit doesn't get any new ability past level 9.

Now this is baffling, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll investigate more once I have the 3.2 update finalized and released.
    Hello. Did you have time to investigate the matter? Do you meet it too? Or is it just me?
    I just ran a Bladesinger up through the levels in IWDEE, and I can confirm that you only ever get 3 uses of Bladesong. (Whichbyou get at 8th level - the extra uses at 12th and 16th level don't kick in.)

I have NO idea why this might happen. The only saving grace is that Bladesong is so stupidly powerful that 3 is all you need. (I really need to nerf that thing...)
    Well, it's not just about Bladesong. Somehow, for the Bladesinger, any special abilities above level 9 is not received upon levelling up.
    I made similar testing with the spellbender, and noticed no problem. It gains special abilities up to level 23 and probably beyond (didn't try after lvl 23).

Also, since spellbender presented no problem, i tried to replace d5_blads.2da by d5_bendr.2da (deleting the former one and renaming the later one into the former one). I created new character with the Bladesinger kit and this time, it had no abilities at all. I'm a newbie in modding. Did I miss something that would explain why the d5_bendr.2da (renamed into d5_blads.2da) table is not applied?
    Post edited by Tristelune on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TristeluneTristelune Member Posts: 12

@Tristelune re: Bladesingers - I don't think they have any other special abilities?

Anyway this one is a complete mystery to me. My only advice is to just deal with it, or else use the Bladesinger kit from the Eldritch Magic mod instead of this one.

Well, in my specific case, Bladesinger has additional abilities because I use this kit as a template to develop my own personal kit.
    One thing popped to my mind: Bladesinger is based on Fighter class:
    LAF qd_multiclass
    STR_VAR
    kit_name = ~D5BLADS~
    kit_clab = ~d5_blads~
    base_class = ~F~
    mc_dir = ~might_and_guile/lib/qd_mc~

And Fighter gains hit dice up to level 9. Bladesinger abilities cap at level 9. Maybe there is a correlation...
    I'm not writing off YARAS, just testing & prodding.
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2017
    Soooo I'm having an extremely strange problem. Wanted to test out the various components of this mod; downloaded it, put it in the folder, ran the exe, launched the game. No problems at any point. Launched the game, made a new character, selected the Fighter kit. All of the new kits are randomly replaced with dialogue from the game. This is the only mod I have on the game currently.

These are the things I've done to try to get it to work; all had the same results:
    • Verified integrity of game cache (one file was reacquired, but changed nothing)
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled after verifying game cache
    • Uninstalled game, cleaned out game folder of all mod folders, reinstalled game, and reinstalled mod.
    All to no avail! So I'm hoping there's a simple fix here that I'm missing.

Very possibly relevant: I'm playing on a Steam version of the game, on Windows.

Let me know if you have any insight on this!

EDIT: To add to this, I've noticed this happen in the past with other mods as well, where mod content will get replaced with dialogue from seemingly random snippets of the game. A search turned up (almost) nothing to explain why this happens, however.

EDIT EDIT: Trying this, we'll see if it works.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: It worked! For now....
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Why it happens is because something during the install corrupted the dailog.tlk. See, WeiDU does its level best, as an install tool, to prevent this. But there's no guarantees. 9.9/10, it could work smooth as butter, but that 0.1 could corrupt the dialog.tlk. Not really a solution for this, sadly. Try deleting the dialog.tlk, then verifying the integrity of the game cache (which should download a fresh copy of the dialog.tlk).
    Yeah I did all that. However, the modmerge tool allowed everything to install correctly, so I am in business... for now.
    edited January 2017
    wyakpa said:

Yeah I did all that. However, the modmerge tool allowed everything to install correctly, so I am in business... for now.

See, this was missing info. lol

Weidu is fine.

I didn't say it had a major issue. But let's not pretend that WeiDU is perfect either. It's the best tool we have for mods. WeiDU does a damn fine job, but sometimes WeiDU still messes up. (Usually, there's an underlying reason, but sometimes it's not something fixable.) The Infinity Engine just isn't that robust compared to modern engines, so WeiDU does the best it can with what is there.

And sometimes, it's human error, like not having Modmerge installed, lol.
    I have loaded up this, TnB, and the Scales of Balance fixes, and no more dialogue nonsense! Yaaaaay!

I was testing a few classes however and noted that the Corsair was not getting any special abilities (neither feats nor swashbucking). Has this been noted?
    edited January 2017
    @subtledoctor: I don't disagree.

But I also would say people still do end up corrupting their .tlks all the time, because WeiDU can't really handle things like "a lot of uninstalling/reinstalling of mods". Most people aren't thinking about how they should have a clean backup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I was just going through it to see what everything could do, so no lasting characters were made (dubugmode is my friend). I'll grab an update when you post it.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Without looking, here are some immediate thoughts:
    Projectile - most area effect projectiles do not instantly effect all creatures within range, they have a non-trivial travel time from the epicenter to each target.
    Duration - Bard Songs use timing mode 10, duration 100, (100 "ticks"), instead of a 6-second (90 "ticks") duration.
    Opcode - 272 is still buggy when multiple are applied, though it is usually only when they have different intervals.
    I've never had such results from computer speed, whenever I stress mine the game just freezes until everything it needs to do has been done, then it resumes normally, but nothing gets omitted.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @subtledoctor I can only suspect there is something else interfering, because that setup works just fine when I try it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Thanks for all the hard work!
    Curious: I've noticed that there isn't very much in this mod (or in mods/vanilla game in general) to support thrown weapons. They're viable, sure, but not in the same way that melee weapons or bows are viable.

Some examples of what I mean:
    • This mod has a component that removes STR bonuses from thrown weapons (although it seems to not apply to thrown axes... which actually makes sense to me)
    • Thrown weapons used by themselves do not gain bonuses from single-weapon fighting style
    • Rogue to-hit feats do not apply to thrown weapons (only melee)
    • Archer-type kits focus on launchers, not thrown, so while their ranged-to-hit bonuses do apply to thrown weapons, those classes do not allow you to take advantage of that ability combined with mastery in, say, daggers.
    I wonder if there's a case to be made for a "master thrower" type class, or maybe rogues should have access to "bonus ranged to hit" feats. Or both. Or something, haha.

I somehow doubt the engine would support this in any way, but having the abiltiy to double-throw would also be pretty cool.
    Ah yes you are correct it's SoB that does some of those things (and the behavior you described makes sense). And you misread; the ranged to-hit bonuses from the sniper classes DOES work with thrown weapons, BUT those classes do not allow mastery in, say, Daggers, or Darts... (god forbid axes). I absolutely tested this! Even the abilities (ie hammer shot) work with thrown daggers. I just can't also take 5 pips in daggers. Hence why I'm suggesting a master thrower class.

I do like the idea of allowing more rogues to take "ranged thac0 bonus." I would even go so far as to suggest that the Corsair could take it too; that class focuses on light blades and would be a perfect thrower-type class for daggers (and darts with the compressed proficiencies).

But yeah you've been hard at it for a while, so don't kill yourself over this. Just a thought! :smile: