Skip to content

Which alignment are you or do you prefer to play?

jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
  1. Which alignment are you or do you prefer to play?76 votes
    1. Lawful good
        6.58%
    2. Neutral good
      30.26%
    3. Chaotic good
      21.05%
    4. Lawful neutral
        2.63%
    5. True neutral
        7.89%
    6. Chaotic neutral
      13.16%
    7. Lawful evil
        6.58%
    8. Neutral evil
        6.58%
    9. Chaotic evil
        1.32%
    10. I dont like alignments...
        3.95%

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I'm somewhere between neutral evil, chaotic good, and Lawful evil.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    There's some great info at http://easydamus.com/alignment.html for anybody who wants to read up more on this sort of thing.

I chose true neutral for myself but often feel more good neutral/ chaotic generally. Using the neppyman site however I've reasonably convinced myself that I am not quite "good" enough to consider myself d&d good.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373

So you generally can't decide whether to rescue an innocent, extort them or torture them for fun?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I usually play Neutral Good and I think I am Neutral Good in real life.

But honestly the rare times I played Evil, destroyed everything in my path and was chased by the Flaming Fist everywhere I went were my most enjoyable playthroughs. Maybe it is simply because they are refreshing and feel like a new way to play the game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Chaotic neutral rogues, doing what they want in that particular time to that particular character, without falling into too good/too evil extremes.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I see myself as chaotic neutral, but I play all sorts of alignments.
    During my first playthrough I am usually somewhere around Neutral Good, my second being either Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil. I never played Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I'll happily play every alignment from time to time.

However, I play Chaotic Good slightly more often than other Good or Neutral alignments, and I don't often play Evil.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Lawful good is my ideal, but I've probably drifted to more of a lawful neutral or even true neutral over my lifetime. In games, I'm lawful good to the core. I'm having to force myself to lie sometimes, and not ever talk about duty or honor in my current NWN2 run, in order to maintain the required "neutral" part of my druid's neutral good alignment. (NWN2 gives you lawful points every time you say something about keeping your word, taking an oath seriously, having a duty, or caring about your honor.)
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    NG feels "right" to me, vis-a-vis the majority of interactions throughout the series.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    True Neutral with a spoon full of Batshit Insanity. Probably roots from the fact that most of my playthroughts are either Druids or nonconformistic Oozemasters. In real life, I tend to favour meta-ethical moral relativism... which is pretty much the closest thing to True Neutral I can think of. Never was a fan of hypocrisy.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    I have had the most fun with CN rogues being able to make decisions in game as I see fit. Makes it fun.

I also like being so LG it makes keldorn look like a psychopathic mass murderous evil overlord. Yes my pallies are all that good and they have very shiny armor.

And finally a crazed madman CE has it's fun as well. Flaming fist and cowled ones just come get some. Down side is the "this sword will cost me how much gold just because I am not that popular" gees just helping those beggars out of their misery...

Only thing I can't get my self to play is TN. There is just not room for balance in my charname I guess.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I'll play any of the good alignments, but I usually lean a party lawful or chaotic and I don't like to mix the two.

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I'll play most anything from time to time (although my evil characters still tend to resolve quests the "good" way just because the rewards are objectively better), but Neutral is where I tend to default when I'm not feeling picky.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    NG and CN are common alignments for me because they both harmonize well with my habit of speeding through dialogues and power gaming, respectively. A Neutral Good or Chaotic Neutral character might do and say the things I do and say in BG2, without acting out of alignment. Both can do minor ethical breaches (steal something I want, for example) while still being basically good overall.

Sometimes I go LN or CG for a ferret or pseudo dragon familiar.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I'd probably be more somewhere between True Neutral/Lawful Neutral, but I tend to play Lawful Evil characters for two reasons - Freedom in computer games tends to sometimes bring out the darker, jerk-ass tendencies of my character. And also - a PC in between NPCs tends to be a selfish arse-hole in it only for himself (which is the definition of "evil")
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

NG feels "right" to me, vis-a-vis the majority of interactions throughout the series.

Same here.

It's also the easiest to identify with and RP IMO.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    I'm TN. I used to be more LN, but I've really come to appreciate life a little more holistically and I'm shifted to TN. Chaos is energy, and energy can be good if channeled properly.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I like to choose different alignment for each character that I create, but Neutral Good is the one that I tend to go for when I try to play more closely to what I would be like. This started when I first completed Planescape: Torment and ended up with Neutral Good. Since then I accepted that it's quite close to "my" alignment.

Though recently I noticed that I'm actually a bit closer to Lawful Good and maybe in future this will be my favourite choice.
  • marcellusmarcellus Member Posts: 22
    I like the idea that Charname is striving to do the right thing while tempted to do terrible things, so something-neutral, usually. In IWD, I mean, it's a munchkiny dungeon crawl with alignment-dependent gear, so just make sure your characters have different alignments...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Everyone like alignments!
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I am surprised about neutral evil not being chose that much, I think it's a great alignment when you don't want to bother with dialogue and xp particularly for solo and speed run.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I have no deep reason; most of the time you get the most out of quests when you get along well with the NPCs.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Lawful Neutral.

My characters tend to have very strong ideologies, and many personal rules that they follow.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited December 2015
    Most of the time I think I am Neutral Good... Some times Chaotic Good. But I prefere to play with Chaotic Neutral.

I enjoy playing with characters that are very different than me. :)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Lawful Evil for sure. I follow the rules. As long as someone's watching.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

As long as someone's watching.

And willing to pay my price for it.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Backstabbing for goodness!
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Chaotic Good is my favorite.

All the good honest stuff without actually giving a crap. It's perfect!
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited December 2015

So you generally can't decide whether to rescue an innocent, extort them or torture them for fun?
    More along the lines of, I can't decided whether to rescue thembout of kodness, ignore them because it isn't my problem, or rescue them and then demand payment or take their wif/daughter/them for myself.

It depends on my mood mostly, I claim no reigns to being holy, but I also don't embrace the darkness.
    @jesterdesu
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    NG no question. Laws are there to be respected, but there is such a thing as dumb laws, procedures and regulations. Dumb laws, I don't follow. What makes a law dumb? Common sense.