Skip to content

Creeping Doom Flop

Insect Plague is way better then Creeping Doom because the awesome thing about this spell is it acts as spellcaster interupt...

So cutting the spell duration in half and doing twice the dmg flops it, being Creeping Doom is suppose to umber.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The one thing that Creeping Doom does have over Insect Plague is that its fear effect must be saved against each round the spell lasts (at -2 no less). This makes the spell potentially a bit more disabling and possibly even a threat to those who don't rely on spells, even though it lasts for half the time. I actually think that Creeping Doom may be a tad bit better than Insect Plague in some cases, but Insect plague is usually a better pick because it doesn't have as much good stuff to compete with for spell slots. Also, Creeping Doom is nice for liches, so there is that.
  • TymakerTymaker Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2015
    I'll have to try it against Liches, if it works then it is for the win. But, it's Spell Ressistance that is the check point for all spells without a spell of magic protection in place.
    edited December 2015
    And that's the other thing! All those epic spells from Thorn of Bhaal shouldn't be in level 9 and 7 spell casting levels. Those are epic spells, one level higher, so MAKE a new spell page @ levl 8 for clerics and 10 for magic users... Or just class it as a special ability.
    Post edited by Tymaker on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    Tymaker said:

And that's the other thing! All those epic spells from Thorn of Bhaal shouldn't be in level 9 and 7 spell casting levels. Like, get that mutherfucking crap out of true D&D . It's an epic spell, so MAKE a new spell page @ levl 8 for clerics and 10 for magic users... Or just class it as a special ability.

This one could have a whole thread dedicated to it :)
    Raistlin and Caramon Majere style ;)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if im not mistaken I don't even think liches have magic resistance, abi-dalzims horrid wilting does massive damage to them ( if they aren't using spell trap that is)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Liches are best defeated, well, they're best defeated using Sunray, but failing that, other high-level aoe's are the way to go. My calling card, Creeping Doom, Fire Storm, but I think Incendiary Cloud is probably the best overall.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In Icewind Dale, however, Creeping Doom isn't necessarily worse than Insect Plague, as they are very different spells.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Tresset said:

Insect plague is usually a better pick because it doesn't have as much good stuff to compete with for spell slots.

iron skins though

simples said:

Tresset said:

Insect plague is usually a better pick because it doesn't have as much good stuff to compete with for spell slots.

iron skins though

And True Seeing, Pixie Dust, Mass Cure, quite a few good 5th level Druid spells.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    And Chaotic Commands and Pixie Dust.

Level 7 also has stiff competition, with Earthquake, Nature's Beauty, and Firestorm. And at 3 million XP, we're also looking at level 7 HLAs.
    Is Earthquake all that good? I never bother with it, since there's that risk of summoning a hostile elemental, which just seems dumb.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Abi_Dalzim: It's good in vanilla. Earthquake knocks the targets unconscious unless they save vs. death at a -6 penalty, and the damage itself bypasses magic resistance.

Unfortunately, in EE, taking damage awakens sleeping characters, which means the unconsciousness effect should get canceled immediately after it works, unless the target has Stoneskins left.

Looking at the spell file in Near Infinity, the EE version apparently only has a 2% chance of summoning that elemental after 3 rounds have passed. I think the vanilla version has a 5% or 10% chance.
    @semiticgod In that case, I'd only see a use for it against something that's magic resistant and immune to fire, like an Iron Golem. Eh, in that case I'd use Energy Blades or something.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    My favourite is to use it against Earth Elementals :)