Skip to content

Ascension v1.5 BETA - Enhanced Edition Release UPDATED 6/8/2016 - SCS Fix located on Page 2!

Comments

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Don't try to use or take stuff from BP Ascension in any way please. It is a very very bad mod. No one should suggest it and I can't even understand why it wasn't still wiped off from internet.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Does the most recent version include the SCS fix on page 2 of this thread?
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I'm playing the hell out of this after finishing my exams. ;) Never installed Ascension and I'm really curious about it.
    jackjackcomebackhome
    How well does this Ascension version work with BG2EE patch 2.3? What about the latest Sword Coast Strategems (SCS)?

I [i]just[/i] finished BG2EE: Shadows of Amn and am about to start Throne of Bhaal for my FIRST TIME. (PLEASE, NO TOB SPOILERS!) Should I wait for an Ascension update before installing BG2EE, SCS, and Ascension?

Will I safely be able to import a save file with my current save file from BG2EE 1.2, SCS, and various mods?
    Yamcha
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    @Endarire This Ascension works with the latest version of BG2EE. SCS works as well (if you use the hotfix).

If you want to see ToB with Ascension, you should install it now, then install SCS.
    Yamcha
    Julius: Thankee!

Can I import my saves from BG2EE Shadows of Amn and have them work?
    JuliusBorisov
    Julius: Thankee!

@JediMindTrix - I have Wheels of Prophecy compatibility problems. WOP won't install on BG2EE v2.3 after Ascension (the newest one as of yesterday) installed..

Details here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28125
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I don't think Wheels of Prophecy has been updated since the big 2.0 update, though - given everything that's changed, there might be larger compatibility problems at work with that particular mod.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovAedan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Endarire said:

Yes, you can import your saves from SoA and continue in ToB with Ascension and SCS.
    mf2112
  • WiniestfleaWiniestflea Member Posts: 1
    The only error that i'm getting right now is that everytime I turn into the Slayer or the Ravager (over 6 million XP) and I turn back into normal form I keep getting damage and I eventually die.

It could be because of some other mods I have but when I uninstall Ascencion it fixes it. Oh by the way I am using EE.

I have:

G3 BG2 Tweak Pack (XP Cap Removed)
    Flirt Pack
    Spell 50

Before I used to have the Ease of Use pack but I uninstalled it once I got the Tweak Pack. I have modified a few things with Shadow Keeper, and I installed it on a save game during the Underdark, before ToB.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    That is an Ascension problem. It was present all the way back in the original. You are using the current BETA of Ascension? I swear I'd fixed that.
    JuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2016
    It was there when I tried it prior to patch 2.3 as well. I wasn't using any other mods and just started ToB to see if the slayer issue was still there. I used the BP ascension override file found in that other thread to fix it though, but I didn't mention anything back then in case it was just an issue with my install.

Oh well just adding another voice to it I guess.
    Post edited by batoor on
    Ascension 1.51 Beta seemingly won't install on BG2EE v1.2 but will install on v2.3. Is this intentional?
  • OneEyedSnakeOneEyedSnake Member Posts: 2
    Hello. Can I install Ascension on an ongoing game? I'm in SoA, at underdark.
    edited June 2016
    batoor said:

It was there when I tried it prior to patch 2.3 as well. I wasn't using any other mods and just started ToB to see if the slayer issue was still there. I used the BP ascension override file found in that other thread to fix it though, but I didn't mention anything back then in case it was just an issue with my install.

Oh well just adding another voice to it I guess.

I'll fix it in the next release. I know exactly what causes it and how to prevent the effect from occurring.
    Endarire said:

Ascension 1.51 Beta seemingly won't install on BG2EE v1.2 but will install on v2.3. Is this intentional?

It is not intentional, but I also have no intention of adding support for older versions of BG2EE, apologies.

Hello. Can I install Ascension on an ongoing game? I'm in SoA, at underdark.

You should be fine!
    JuliusBorisovjackjackAedanbatoor
  • zombiecursezombiecurse Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    I'm also having the issue where I die immediately after transforming back to normal from the Slayer form. Understand you're going to fix this for the next version, just adding my voice here as well.

The Slayer form also doesn't seem to be benefiting from upgrades. I'm at around three million experience, but the slayer form only has 100 hp. Not sure if there are any other upgrades it should be receiving at that point. From what I understand, it upgrades at two million, four million, and six million.

Is it safe to uninstall until this issue is fixed?

Thanks,

Edit: Forgot to mention. When I transform into the Slayer, I get a dialogue option to either resist it or give in and transform into the slayer. If I transform, I immediately get a journal update that says:

"Your journal has been updated: Invalid: 103500"

I think this is probably the first time I've transformed into the Slayer after Spellhold. Guessing this might have something to do with getting the journal update.

Edit 2: I realized I didn't have the latest version. The journal entry message seems to be fixed in the most updated version (looks like it's related to the Slayer form being upgraded), but the form itself still doesn't have any more hitpoints, and my character also dies immediately after resting following transforming into the Slayer.
    Post edited by zombiecurse on
    I don't recall ever finding documentation that precisely described exactly what upgrades the slayer form received, does anyone know where I can find some?
  • zombiecursezombiecurse Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    You may be able to use EE Keeper to figure it out. Could just create a savegame where you're transformed into the Slayer and then transform back.

My understanding, from looking at other posts on this, is that the root of the bug is that the cumulative damage effects of the Slayer form are remaining active even after the character transforms back. So while you can rest after transforming back because you're not in Slayer form, you're still taking damage while you rest, and as a result you immediately die once you wake up.

There's a png file attached to the last post in this thread that might help you out.
    Post edited by zombiecurse on
  • vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    Hey just to chime in here.

I've made a variety of different slayer forms for my Imoen Romance mod patterned off the original Ascension slayer files so i ran into the same problems.

For the spell file that you would use to revert back to human form, you can use the new EE-effect 'Remove effects by Resource' and link the Slayer resource file with all the effects (periodic damage, polymorph to slayer etc etc) this will cleanly stop the periodic damage affects.

This new EE-effect however does not exist in vanilla BG2, so don't use it if you want to be compatible with vanilla BG2, the old bad workaround iirc was the spell that reverts you to human form would set resistance to 100 for a time equal to however long the periodic damage was going to happen to stop it happening.

edited July 2016
    I have a fixed version (in regards to the never-ending damage) on my harddrive that somehow never made it into any of the releases, taking into account that Remove effects by Resource is EE only. I'll have to spend some time fixing the bonuses, though.
    Yamcha
    edited July 2016
    Update: I have an untested solution for experience levels not resulting in more powerful versions of the slayer.
    I have a tentative solution, for both versions of the game, for the 'slayer kills you'. My proposed solution is to completely wipe away all damage effects from the equation, and instead use the following method:

On the conversation that prompts you to choose between Slayer/Ravager/Not Giving In To The Taint, when 'Change to Ravager/Slayer' is selected, the .dlg file sets a globaltimer for x seconds (depending on level of slayer). If the globaltimer expires and the player is still in slayer form, they are instantly killed. A second globaltimer is also set for x + 10 seconds, when this timer expires, the player regains the innate ability 'Slayer Change' and can change forms again.

In poking around the files, it appears that the second and third 'levels' of the slayer form had a unique weapon designed for them (it's the same as the Ravagers). However, they are not actually used, though the files are still present in the mod. I'm not sure if it's a bug, or intentional.

Here's a pastebin detailing most of the effects/stats for different slayer changes: http://pastebin.com/NXbKLt3C
    If a stat is undefined, it's because it's the same as the previous files.
    edited July 2016
    You actually don't need a convo prompt to change into slayer, and in fact in mine i don't have that since its unecessarily redundant.

The code in the script file that is triggered when you use slayer spell, instead of triggering a convo with yourself, just replace that with the dialogue file code that actually executes the spell to transform you into the slayer.

Makes it nice and seamless, click change to slayer form and you change instead of having to go through a talk.

For more powerful slayer forms, you can just make different slayer spell files for the different forms, and they trigger in that script file code dependant on level/experience.

Something like

IF
    Global("TurnToSlayer","GLOBAL",1)
    XP(Player1,10000)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ReallyForceSpellRES("slayerform1",Myself)
    END

IF
    Global("TurnToSlayer","GLOBAL",1)
    XP(Player1,20000)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ReallyForceSpellRES("slayerform2",Myself)
    END

In fact this is how it was generally done in vanilla code from the dialogue file.

I believe it's in place to give the player a chance to backout of the reputation drop.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited July 2016

I believe it's in place to give the player a chance to backout of the reputation drop.

And also to later allow the player to choose between Slayer and Ravager forms (since the Ravager comes with a heavier Rep drop). Although I guess you could get around that by having the transformations be separate abilities?
    jackjackJediMindTrix
    Yeah, either way I'm not straying from that.
    edited July 2016
    shawne said:

And also to later allow the player to choose between Slayer and Ravager forms (since the Ravager comes with a heavier Rep drop). Although I guess you could get around that by having the transformations be separate abilities?
    Main problem for player1.dlg, is that the dialogue file can be de-coupled from the CRE file of the player, seemingly randomly at times though i suspect dreams have something to do with it.

This can be mitigated by force setting the dlg file to player1 at some point shortly before a dialogue talk with player1 is about to fire, , though this is not a sure thing since it depends on how fast scripts are getting executed, but it does make it very unlikely.

This seemed to be a known problem in the old modding community since alot of mods that extern to player1.dlg almost always set the dlg file beforehand.
    Post edited by vanatos on
  • AnaxieAnaxie Member Posts: 79
    Before I start a playthrough with the current version is it stable enough to actually finish TOB and the final battle?
    jackjack
    edited July 2016
    Anaxie said:

Before I start a playthrough with the current version is it stable enough to actually finish TOB and the final battle?

Yes. There is a changelog in the first post, on the first page, that you should refer too see updates to the BETA.
    vanatos said:

Main problem for player1.dlg, is that the dialogue file can be de-coupled from the CRE file of the player, seemingly randomly at times though i suspect dreams have something to do with it.

I feel like this is already done by using the Slayer Change, as I've never heard of the conversation not starting when you do.