Skip to content

Gods of Egypt

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So, is anyone interested in seeing this movie? I'm not all that interested really, s always I am finding more enjoyment in the argument that the non middle-eastern/African gods are producing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJBnK2wNQSo

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Besides the casting controversy it seems like a pretty generic (loosely) mythology-based action movie.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @elminster
    I have been having a field day reading the comments on youtube.

I had some laughs in this video comments. So to sum the arguments up...

Egyptians are blacks.
    Egyptians aren't blacks.

Type a lot of shit using words like, "research"m "studies", "DNA Analysis" to prove your point without bothering to site any sources, post any links to prove your claims, and pretending you're bigger and right because you say you are.

Don't forget to insult Africans and Blacks and call them ni... I mean the N word, because lord knows hiding behind a mask of anonymity where most people re brave enough to do it .

Oh and of course, share false information about past African culture.

I did make a small statement on my instram about it though, it was at both gods of Egypt and boycott gods of Egypt.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited January 2016

So, is anyone interested in seeing this movie? I'm not all that interested really, s always I am finding more enjoyment in the argument that the non middle-eastern/African gods are producing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJBnK2wNQSo

Looks like a fun action flick, but obviously if you're expecting a historical drama you might be disappointed lol

I don't understand your comment, though. What controversy is there with Asian or European indigenous people's gods?

EDIT: Or native american??
    @FinneousPJ
    where did i mention Asian or Mesoamerican gods?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    So, so wrong on so many levels.

Besides belittling black people by "whitening" the grandest of the African civilizations, they also get to belittle women by making the hero a generic blonde dude instead of Isis. Then they totally wimp out on what Set did to Osiris (I'm assuming the one-eyed action hero is Osiris) by having him pull out his eyes instead of chopping him to pieces.

So Hollywood takes an epic tale of sex and violence and turns it into just another PG13 action film.
    @DragonKing You said "the argument that the non middle-eastern/African gods are producing". So what else is there? I guess Oceania.
    @FinneousPJ
    Yes, referring to the shitstorm that is being produced by the fact the trailer produced. Just look at the comments, or google it. People re mad that Egyptians gods aren't being portrayed by middle eastern or even black actors.

I said nothing referencing to Asian or mesoamerican gods.
    @BillyYank
    It actually Horus,... basically this is the premise; "The Egyptian god of darkness Set takes over the throne of the Egyptian empire. A mortal hero, Bek, allies with the Egyptian god Horus in a mission to save the world and to rescue his love."
    edited January 2016
    OK, that makes even less sense than what I thought was going on in the trailer. Sheesh.
    Post edited by BillyYank on
    edited January 2016
    @DragonKing Oh you need to express yourself more clearly. That clearly reads "non middle-eastern/African gods", as in gods not from middle-east or Africa, i.e. gods from other areas ;)
    @FinneousPJ
    I wish I could just people people into my head to just show you ll what reading and writing is like for me. Trust me my mistakes aren't on purpose, things dance and change around while I'm doing this stuff and even after.

@BillyYank
    The youtube comments make it even funnier.
    @DragonKing Haha might be just me if no one else read it that way.

Anyway I see the point but what a stupid thing to get so fussed over.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    edited January 2016
    Looks like fun to me! I'll see it. I'm sure it will be just as historically accurate as Clash of the Titans or Red Tails. I really couldn't care less. I read history; I watch movies for cheesy action, over the top special effects, and things blowing up.
    Post edited by atcDave on
    @FinneousPJ
    Hey, they even apologize for the movie not being more diverse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3336938/We-failed-reflect-diversity-Director-new-Gerard-Butler-movie-Gods-Egypt-apologises-casting-white-actors.html

I mean, this can be taken in many directions from the concept of white washing middle eastern culture to "its all just fun and games," -cough-thenbitchaboutablackleadinstarwarsorablackjamesbondorablackjohnnystorm-cough-

Whoa, had something in my throat there. I more than likely going to avoid it even though it is a concept (mythology) that I love... I remember the movie Dragon wars and the heartbreak that came with it for me.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    It looks fairly typical to Hollywood; be it history, technology, or weapons. But I'll probably still watch it when it comes around eventually. If one wants historically accurate, then a movie really isn't what they're looking for in this particular case—they're speaking English for starters. If one can get past that historical inaccuracy, then the rest should be pretty easy (and let me just say that I already can't take it seriously when there's a Scottish accent mixed in there).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    We all know the the entire universe speaks English.. just watch most Sci Fi movies and TV Series :)
    @Troodon80
    Its not about being historically accurate, I don't expect anything from Hollywood to be "historically accurate", but there is a suspension of disbelief that just can't be done with the current lead cast for me. But, that is just me, I the gods of a culturally should be represented by the people of thus culture, some someone close enough to create suspension of disbelief. I would never expect Amaterasu to be anything but Asian, no different then I'd expect Zeus to be closer to Caucasian than Nubian.
    edited January 2016
    What bothers me the most about this is the original story is amazing. It has intrigue, death, betrayal, freaky sex, revenge and loads of violence. Instead of adapting this awesome story to the screen, they made a generic action film with a bit of Egyptian set dressing.

Gods of Egypt pre-production meeting:
    "Gentlemen, we have a choice here. We can tell a gory, sexy tale of revenge featuring one of the greatest heroines in the history of storytelling on an epic quest to resurrect her murdered husband and bring down his killer, or we can throw a bunch of action movie cliches at the screen and feature a generic California surfer dude as the lead..."
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Uhh...... Stargate™?
    Anyway favorite egyptian god is horus.
    Thanks for nice preview for new year.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

Its not about being historically accurate, I don't expect anything from Hollywood to be "historically accurate", but there is a suspension of disbelief that just can't be done with the current lead cast for me. But, that is just me, I the gods of a culturally should be represented by the people of thus culture, some someone close enough to create suspension of disbelief. I would never expect Amaterasu to be anything but Asian, no different then I'd expect Zeus to be closer to Caucasian than Nubian.

True. I suppose I'm just indifferent in that it's Hollywood. I don't recall Hollywood using realistic portrayals of technology—and that was something that really used to annoy me and the suspension of disbelief was shattered most of the time—or guns.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited January 2016
    BillyYank said:

What bothers me the most about this is the original story is amazing. It has intrigue, death, betrayal, freaky sex, revenge and loads of violence. Instead of adapting this awesome story to the screen, they made a generic action film with a bit of Egyptian set dressing.

Gods of Egypt pre-production meeting:
    "Gentlemen, we have a choice here. We can tell a gory, sexy tale of revenge featuring one of the greatest heroines in the history of storytelling on an epic quest to resurrect her murdered husband and bring down his killer, or we can throw a bunch of action movie cliches at the screen and feature a generic California surfer dude as the lead..."

In all fairness, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Horus/Jaime Lannister) is Danish. :wink:
    @BillyYank
    I wouldn't call it amazing, look at the cast list, where is Osiris? Where is Anubis? Where is Nephthys? A story about Horus and those 3get left out, what?
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

@BillyYank
    I wouldn't call it amazing, look at the cast list, where is Osiris? Where is Anubis? Where is Nephthys? A story about Horus and those 3get left out, what?

I did see a dog-headed figure fighting Horus at around :25, so maybe that's Anubis?

Any case, besides the desert setting and hieroglyphics, it just doesn't feel like Egypt to me. The cast is too white. The music is boring and generic action-film-y. Even their dialogue feels a tad too contemporary.

Probably gonna skip out on this one. Might see it on DVD or television at a later date, like I did with Clash of the Titans. :P

In all fairness, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Horus/Jaime Lannister) is Danish. :wink:

I was talking about the curly haired blonde thief.
    @Nonnahswriter
    I want to believe that if it wasn't for the fact that the trailer shows no other god with a animal head... or even the transforming armor crap. I best I'd think it might be a priest of anubis.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    The movie looks.. bland. I'll prolly see it since there are so few movies set in a old historical setting and I really like those, but I don't think it'll be great. It'll prolly be like Exodus which was watchable, but not much more than that.

The thief-dude and the girl.. I think I'll dislike them both. Their characters, from the few scenes in the trailer, seem to be very classic hollwyood characters, bland and boring, so that we, the viewers, have someone we can relate to.. *sigh*

I agree with some of the above though, why do Hollywood alway take an amazing legend and then wash it clean from most of what makes it amazing and add in crap instead? It just doesn't make sense.
    @Nonnahswriter
    I actually just rewatched the trailer, the fog like figures were both set and Horus in some kind of magical battle armor or something.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I was actually watching The Mummy (1932) film a few days ago. With that and watching this trailer I have an idea for an Egyptian themed Cleric character. Hm . . .

On the subject of the trailer itself I'm finding little interest. I adore the setting but the characters and plot seem "meh" to me.