Skip to content

David Gaider left BioWare! How about... working on BGNext, David?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
An absolute shock.

A 17 year BioWare veteran, a BG2 designer, a Dragon Age lead writer... Leaves BioWare.

So? A wild thought! Now, when Beamdog will try to make "a new Baldur's Gate-esque game that will make us all busy for the next 15 years", maybe Beamdog is the best place for David Gaider.

After all, he started his work from Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

"It was indeed my decision, one not made easily since BioWare's been very good to me, and the parting is amicable," he wrote. "It's simply time to move onto a new challenge."

"As to where I'm headed next, that announcement will come in due time — today's about saying goodbye and packing up," he added.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/22/10814786/david-gaider-bioware-leaves-dragon-age-gay-character

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Joining a Beamdog with BG3. Here, I've said it. *grabs a popcorn and waits*
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited January 2016
    Well Beamdog is/was looking for a lead writer....

I will say was because of the 3 jobs posted, that one is taken down.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited January 2016
    Exactly. The position of Senior game writer/Editor is no longer available - https://www.beamdog.com/jobs.

And Gaider lives in Edmonton.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    OOO, Now you have my imagination all a twitter. Gaider would be a great addition to Beam Dog.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Gaider may have written Ascension and all that jazz but after Dragon Age 1, the quality of his writing took a sharp nosedive. I'd rather have Chris Avellone in the position of lead writer, as unlikely as that is.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Flashburn said:

Gaider may have written Ascension and all that jazz but after Dragon Age 1, the quality of his writing took a sharp nosedive. I'd rather have Chris Avellone in the position of lead writer, as unlikely as that is.

You have to remember who Gaider was writing for after DA.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    he wrote ascension?! - give that man the 1 million dollars!
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2016
    Yeah. He also wrote Anomen and much of ToB.

Gaider is exactly what beamdog needs right now. While I agree that his writing is sometimes good and sometimes not, the thing about Gaider is that he listens to the fans -- large portions of ToB and ascension were based on fan suggestions. Some of the ToB characters were based on forum members (Yakman, Gromnir)

He could actually change the thing that I dislike most about Beamdog: the 'that the way we do it, if you don't like, don't buy it' attitude. I could imagine him participating in these forums, integrating our suggestions into the next game.

And he would be the perfect person to expand ToB and to make it what it should have been in the first place.

Let's hope he is moving to Beamdog. Fingers crossed.

And why do we have to choose between them? Chris Avellone *and* Gaider would be a great team. Avellone, the best RPG writer out there teaming up with Gaider who is responds to the fans.

If that happened I would change my position on Beamdog and BG3.

(which right now is set at please, please, please don't let them make BG3 -- give it to Obsidian, Ossian or someone else who responds to fan critiques)

Gief Gaider!
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Bioware is going to hell in a hand basket. The evil empire buys them out, the founders are gone in 2012 and now one of their top devs moves on. :(
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

Bioware is going to hell in a hand basket. The evil empire buys them out, the founders are gone in 2012 and now one of their top devs moves on. :(

And their more successful then ever too

According to Electronic Arts' fiscal 2015 third quarter earnings report, Dragon Age: Inquisition is the most successful launch in BioWare history based on units sold.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Inquisition
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited January 2016

Well, they have redeemed themselves with DA: Inqusition after the debacle with ME3 ending.
    What I don't like is timed DLC exclusives for the Xbox One .
    bengoshi said:

BTW, Andrew Foley retweeted the tweet in question :wink:
    Also, look at this tweet by Chris Avellone:

Maybe "Dreams this way" is actually pointing to Beamdog :wink:
    Why not both of them to come to Beamdog? :sunglasses:
    Post edited by brus on
  • TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    bengoshi said:

Cahir said:

Joining a Beamdog with BG3. *

With Chris Avellone.
    If that can happen... I believe Chris(can I call you Chris, Mr. Avellone?) is working on Divinity: Original Sins 2 though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

Don't forget a job offer for that chat!
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Interesting news, I really hope Beamdog will make the plunge to make a independent game. Enhancing is well and fine, but it is time to move forward.

@killerrabbit I am not sure I am following you about responding to fan requests, weren't a lot of the UI-tweaking and so on based on fan requests? At any rate I do not think good companies should care *too* much about fan requests, trying to please everyone usually means pleasing noone in my experience.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    OMG OMG OMG OMG
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    YES! That was what we were hoping for. Now we wait for the official confirmation.

I think it's very probable this is a step Beamdog takes towards making a new game of themselves, with getting such a heavyweight on board.

Now sign up Chris Avellone as well and Beamdog is good to go!
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Amazing news! Couldn't think of a better outcome!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Now watch it be some other guy named David Smith or something.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    edited February 2016
    Dave Gross was Beamdog's writer for a year or two... and he also worked at Bioware for a bit...