Skip to content

David Gaider left BioWare! How about... working on BGNext, David?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    David Gaider. Creative Director at Beamdog.

Dazzle us, darling. :)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @David_Gaider enhance ToB for us, good sir! Pretty please :smiley:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Even if I firmly believed into it since the very start, the fact that it really came true doesn't become less magnificent.

The characters you created, David, are one of my favourite ever. If people doubted Beamdog on the long run, now they really have to change their minds.

With such talented people in the booth, Beamdog is the company to make BGNext.

Looking at it all, I'll soon be living the dream.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Cahir said:

Cahir said:

@David_Gaider enhance ToB for us, good sir! Pretty please :smiley:

Is Throne of Bhaal not already included with BG2:EE? I thought it was.
    It is, but we need new stuff. Enhanced one! Ascension-like enhanced :smile:
    Tempting. Looks like the Ascension-updating folks already have that well in hand, however (which is really nice to see).
    What... Wait... Ascension update? *jaw drops*

Is this the mod (that I love) or actually incorporating it into BG2:EE?

*starts going a little loopy*
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited February 2016
    Oh, I thought it was a signature... "those who get cake" sort of thing. Ambiguities.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    How does food affect the creative process? Does cake consumption correlate to saccharine scenes?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I sure hope @AndrewFoley didn't cut the cake this time.

And who is Brent and Shawn? They get a cake but not a Beamblog introduction?
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited February 2016
    deltago said:

I sure hope @AndrewFoley didn't cut the cake this time.

And who is Brent and Shawn? They get a cake but not a Beamblog introduction?

Brent Knowles and Shawn Potter, they are mentioned in the Beamblog and look like some meaty additions to the team! http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/02/beamdog-achievements.html?m=1
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    We totally reminisced about Andrew's cake-cutting skills. And Mad's "Congratulations on your Canada" cake.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
  • GromnirGromnir Member Posts: 7
    shakespeare may be our typical choice for pith, but is milton who sings to us and to these auspices present

"seest thou yon dreary plain, forlorn and wild,
    the seat of desolation, void of light,
    save what the glimmering of these livid flames
    casts pale and dreadful? tither let us tend
    from off the tossing of these fiery waves;
    there rest, if any rest can harbor there;
    and, re-assembling our afflicted powers,
    consult how we may henceforth most offend"

good luck and godspeed.

HA! Good Fun!
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Welcome back to Baldurs Gate David! May your stay be pleasant and the inn free of rats.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @TrentOster awesome news about paying down the technical debt - I can barely imagine what it must be like picking up a code-base from the games industry of 20 years ago, when each product was mostly written to performance demands that encouraged every clever trick in the book, yet were assumed to be thrown away after completion, so no need to think of long term maintenance...

I fear that the end result will be a huge delivery at your end, that in itself will /appear/ to yield few tangible benefits to the customers. I do look forward to seeing what you can turn around in the rapid delivery mode afterwards, and the (presumably) much more capable/portable/stable platform we should have for years to come.

Welcome @David_Gaider - I can't think of a bigger visible vote of confidence in Beamdog than your signing on here after Bioware. Now I am really excited for the future, even though I know new games don't get written over not. Onward to greatness! Destiny Awaits - along with many other tropes, and hopefully a few new ones ;~)
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Wot?! Nice sleuthing Benghoshi.

I'm tempted join others and say congrats @David_Gaider but think I really should say congrats @beamdog since they will be ones benefiting. Nicely done guys!

David -- as I've said for a while. Thanks you for ascension. Hope you are ready to hit the ground running because I've got two requests already:

1. If you could dig up your old fan fic vignettes from the Jaheria romance I hope you will post them. I'd like to reread those and think others would also enjoy them.

2. While this was a loooong time ago Kalthorine Ut Wistan (sp?) had some great ideas for the redemption of Viconia that influenced your ToB Viconia romance. While I know you probably "cannot confirm nor deny" if you were brought in to expand ToB I would love to see those portions that couldn't make it into final game be fully implemented in an expansion.

And @Aristillius and @Illydth while I normally believe that *my* opinions are the most interesting things that anyone could be talking about I don't want to rain on Gaider's parade. Make another thread and I'll be more than happy to discuss the graveyard of good ideas feature request forum.

Happy days. Nicely done Beamdog. I'm expecting good things to come from this move.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Give us Chris too! And let them both rule the world (and not that puny excuse of a Cyricist called Tiax).
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    These news REALLY caught me off surprise but it was also kind of expected. If that makes sense.

More and more people are leaving Bioware so that was expected, because EA among other reasons.
    Though David Gaider leaving and joining Beamdog is pleasantly surprising.

It feels like old Bioware is being reborn with people full of passion.