Skip to content

What Was Your Greatest Challenge in BG?

What is the most difficult thing you have ever done (or attempted to do) in a run of BG1 or BG2?

This can be a roleplaying decision, a powergaming challenge, or anything else.

Comments

• jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Probably offing Shandalar in ToSC. Tedious monkeywork...
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Probably the first time facing off against the old Tactics Irenicus in Hell. I found that to be the most difficult battle for a long, long time. Harder than Ascension, Eclipse, or anything similar.

Also Tactics Tor'Gal was a huge frustration when I first got there, because I was used to easy FoA+3 and was quite overwhelmed going into that battle fresh out of the city.

More recently, the hardest fight for me was strangely enough a random city ambush party with 1 Mage 2 Clerics 2 Rogues and 3 Fighters, which hit after like the first day in the city or so and mop the floor with me regularly. That's with SCS set to 11 and Legacy of Bhaal mode, of course.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited January 2016
    One of the hardest fights I've beaten is a modded version of the Prat fight at the end of Chapter 6. I had used EEKeeper to give Prat blur, haste, aura cleansing, zero casting time, 25 in all stats, and a special shield that gives him the Fireshield: Blue effect. I also gave Sakul zero casting time and 154 max health, but Prat was the real danger. At the beginning of the battle, he would cast Improved Invisibility, two Lightning Bolts, three Agannazar's Scorchers and three Magic Missile spells. I didn't change Tam or Bor at all, but they were still quite dangerous. It took me a lot of reloads to win this fight. It was very interesting.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    killing trolls. I had my fire and acid ready, was pounding on them for thousands of hp damage, and still they refused to go down...

(thanks to this forum, I now know about the bug causing th problem :))
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BG1 - The "Air aspect" Wyvern and its minions from Durlag's tower is always a tough challenge.

BG2 - Dragons and Demiliches are always a challenge as well because there is no way you can defeat one without buffs and strategies.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2016
    Ding minimal reload, that means if an npc is perma-killed, he/she needs to be replaced. By an underlevelled, underequipped npc.

So far, did the last pocket plane challenge and off to go ToB. I have scs and ascension installed.
    Death roll:

Aerie-melted by green slime in sewers. Stupid, stupid death. She couldn't make a save vs death at +2, despite being a cleric. Nothing worked to save her when she got slimed.

Jaheira-disintegrated by Tanova's prismatic spray when battling Bodhi for the last time. Ironic thing is, she was slain by Tanova's prismatic spray 4-5 levels earlier when attacking Bodhi's guild for the first time, pre-Spellhold.

Rasaad-chunked by the backstabber assasins that spawned when playing the deck with the cambion in WK. I also lost the game.

Minsc-death rayed while under protection from magic scroll, and a flesh to stone ray (modded to require save vs polymorph in my game) hit his corpse mid-air as he fell, making him both petrified and dead. Unable to be selectable by scrolls.

Korgan-again offed by beholder flesh to stone, and then he died while outside of the party, leaving his loot and corpse behind. Weird.

Sarevok-chunked by a comet cast by a drow in Sendai's lair. Comet does half crushing+half cold damage in my install. (A comet is actually a huge chunk of ice and stone flying in the space, it burns only when it enters the atmosphere. The spell brings it down to earth bypassing all that, so it makes sense in my mind)

Mazzy-flesh to stonex3 trigger by a drow in Sendai's lair petrified her, and I have finished casting a cone of cold only a second before she was petrified:my cone of cold destroyed the statue. The same drow then petrified Valygar by another flesh to stone. I have editted flesh to stone to require a save vs polymorph. I was able to cure Valygar, luckily.

Viconia-cut to ribbons by drow kensais while fighting Sendai. They do 30+ damage per hit. Viconia had like 70 something. Was very viceral.

Flesh to stone seems to be the biggest killer in my game, partially my problem for I editted it to require a save vs petrification instead of spells. There is Adoy's belt that gives+5 to save vs it and another amulet that gives +5 too. If only those npcs wore them!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Beholders. Always Beholders.
    DJKajuru said:

As for the roleplaying decision, my last character was a single class mage and by the end of ToB I had him cast wish+ extended timestop , which I knew that the finalboss is immune to. To make a long story short , we had a endless one on one close combat while my comrades and her demons were paralized, asif on a personal duel.

Lucky she didn't go for the helpless party, then. Very cool from a story perspective, though. Almost like a final anime battle. :)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think we had this thread before...

Killing all incarnations of Aec'letec without excessive gaze protection.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    lroumen said:

I think we had this thread before...

Killing all incarnations of Aec'letec without excessive gaze protection.

That's why it's best to solo it with Charname. Just chug a potion of haste to stay out of combat while killing the cultists and then turn on the demon
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Deciding to play a solo or minial party playthrough. I've attemped this 10+ times, failed every time. I've tried probably three times at least doing a Aerie/Jan/Charname playthrough, but somehow Haer'dalis, snuck into the group, then Imoen, etc etc. I don't even know how it happens, but it always does.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Back in vanilla BG2-ToB I finished the game solo with a sorcerer. The biggest challenge was to keep playing and try to finish the game rather than hard battles...I wouldn't recommend it...

The most interesting challenge was a BG:EE run with SCS at its hardest. I really liked this and I learned a lot!

I haven't yet completed a No-reload run though...maybe...
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Trying to convert all my 3e/Pathfinder RP characters into 2e with race-class restrictions. I still don't know if my Gnome Bard should be a Half-Elf Bard or a Gnome Illusionist/Thief in 2e @_@. I kind of just roll whatever I'm feeling at the moment.
    Vallmyr said:

Trying to convert all my 3e/Pathfinder RP characters into 2e with race-class restrictions. I still don't know if my Gnome Bard should be a Half-Elf Bard or a Gnome Illusionist/Thief in 2e @_@. I kind of just roll whatever I'm feeling at the moment.

Gnome t/i would make the best sense under 2e. You are gnome that fancies himself as a bard! Get uai asap and use all those bard-only items like magical harps and horns. Never backstab as it is not bardy at all. Get party buff spels like resiste fear, haste, etc. Have high cha also, and rp as if you were a real bard. Might need to tweak a variabe or two or get 'unlimited strongholds' mod to get the bard playhouse.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Finding a decent background story for my main character -_-
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

It's interresting that something that is so easy for oneself is another one's greatest challenge.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited February 2016
    Skatan said:

It's interresting that something that is so easy for oneself is another one's greatest challenge.
    Yep, I always found hard to role play a main charac in BG2 since your background story is already almost entirely written by the bhaalspawn plot. So when I look for a background story, my mindset is more like "What can i add" instead of "What can I create".

On the other side IWD leaves more freedom for character creation and makes the task much easier for me.

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Ah, the epic adventure vs the epic personal storyline. The eternal question for rpg development.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    I think my greatest challenge was probably beating Sarevok for the first time. Don't recall ever fighting a battle with that many re-tries since then.

Next challenge is probably just hanging in there long enough to actually finish BG2. I don't know why I just can't.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Sluckers - agree that making it through to the end of the trilogy is hard. I think I have made it to the end of BG2 only 3 or 4 time in 15 years, and am still to complete even half of ToB. Many characters in flight that keep promising to make it there one day though...

I think that if the end of the story were not so thoroughly spoiled by now, there would be more pressure for me to witness first-hand the conclusion of this epic saga, but I spoiled myself by reading up on walkthroughs in my wilderness years before the EEs emerged, so no-one to blame but myself for that one!

For some reason, I have never found Sarevok to be that tough. I could just be that by the time I got to him, Darwin determined that any PC making it this far was well and truly ready for the challenge. Or it could be the party of 6 I had with me, all of whom were similarly selected for the final conflict?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The building full of rats in Candlekeep.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Accepting death was the end.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Black pits 2 solo ... with BP1's starting xp.

I'm starting to think it's impossible without a cheesy multi-class.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280

@Sluckers - agree that making it through to the end of the trilogy is hard. I think I have made it to the end of BG2 only 3 or 4 time in 15 years, and am still to complete even half of ToB. Many characters in flight that keep promising to make it there one day though...

I think that if the end of the story were not so thoroughly spoiled by now, there would be more pressure for me to witness first-hand the conclusion of this epic saga, but I spoiled myself by reading up on walkthroughs in my wilderness years before the EEs emerged, so no-one to blame but myself for that one!

For some reason, I have never found Sarevok to be that tough. I could just be that by the time I got to him, Darwin determined that any PC making it this far was well and truly ready for the challenge. Or it could be the party of 6 I had with me, all of whom were similarly selected for the final conflict?

Ya, made it through the trilogy just once. Loved BG1 and liked ToB. But BG2? What a chore. I don't know why that is, but I have a harder time stomaching it. I've restarted so many times...

As for Sarevok, it was my first time facing him and beating him. Ended up having to zap him with his own lightning traps. Semaj kept destroying me when he teleported to the front of the temple, but he doesn't last long against a well aimed bolt from a lightning trap, using a lightning immune Imoen as a targeting sight on the trapline. :)